MA MA - Abbie Flynn, 60, went for walk before Super Bowl party, Gloucester, 2 Feb 2020

FEB 11, 2020
‘She’s a lovely gal’: Friends hold out hope, print 5K flyers for missing Gloucester woman
[...]

State police started using sonar to search the bottom of the ocean in Brace’s Cove around 8 a.m. Tuesday.

They wrapped up this afternoon and still no word on if they found anything but childhood friends of Abbie Flynn are still holding out hope.

[...]

Wednesday, 5,000 flyers will be posted throughout Gloucester by a group of volunteers.

JG, who went to high school with Flynn and now lives in Maryland, tells Boston 25 News she felt compelled to help even from miles away.

[...]

Police say they are actively investigating but are not treating her disappearance as a criminal investigation yet.

Abbie Flynn’s brother sent an email to Boston 25 News Tuesday, saying, “Abbie is hugely loved, very normal and has an extraordinarily devoted family...as she is to us.”

Who goes for a walk with food in the oven and people coming over and doesn't take their phone in case someone coming over calls. This does not add up. Maybe she normally takes a "quick" walk?

Who goes for a walk with food in the oven and people coming over and doesn't take their phone in case someone coming over calls. This does not add up. Maybe she normally takes a "quick" walk?
I suppose it’s possible as it sounds like she does walk a lot and there’s lots of nice areas very close. It was a beautiful day. The oven was OFF and cookies were baked and cooling. Pizza dough rising on counter. She could’ve had all her prep done and just gone for a quick walk, maybe forgot her phone, as it was 1-1 1/2 hours before guests expected. POSSIBLE not necessarily probable.

@SAMS This is what I gleaned from my recent reading in the subject. There were two other women - Susan Nilsson and Theresa Coen- who went missing but both were later found. Susan Nilsson was found in the water after a search (her own sons found her, sadly). LE says there was no evidence of foul play in her death. Theresa Coen was missing for a longer period of time. Authorities gave indications from the beginning of her disappearance that they were treating her case as one where self-harm was strongly suspected. At some point her partial remains were found on a beach in Chatham, MA (confirmed by DNA). I think this was one of those instances where the resolution of her case was not announced to the public, only to family. After Abbie Flynn went missing, people started to connect her disappearance to that of Coen's and Rockport Police declined to comment. Later Gloucester police confirmed Coen was no longer missing. I think some people interpreted this statement to mean she had JUST been found but my reading of it was just that they were addressing it for the first time, not that it was new information.
Have you heard of the Sandra Crispo case? eerily similar circumstances.

It is a bit odd, I guess. She has a dog too and didn't take the dog...so not for that reason. Since we don't know how far ahead she actually left for a walk, it may be reasonable that she wanted some air and/or a quick breather before hosting a group of people for a football game. JMO

There was no food in the oven and the oven was not on. According to the Chief, she had made preparations, had a couple hours to spare before her guests arrived, and told her son she might go for a walk which is something she does often. MOO

Noting search details:

A Massachusetts State Police dive team searched Tuesday and Wednesday along the coastline near where Flynn was known to walk. Those areas included Brace Cove, Niles Beach and the waters off the Dog Bar breakwater, state police said in a statement.

During their search, troopers deployed a sonar device from the side of a boat, using sound waves to detect objects or anomalies underwater, according to state police.

The dive team will look for Flynn again if authorities find new information that warrants another search, authorities said.

The email from the brother is worded very odd to me. The only time I read comments like that is when there may be some abnormalities in personality which often turns out to be some sort of undiagnosed issue. Maybe it’s just me, but descriptions usually don’t include the words “ she’s normal”.

On July 12, 1991 Salem resident Martha Brailsford agreed to go for a sail with her neighbor Thomas Maimoni. They sailed from Salem Willows out into the ocean 2-3 miles off Gloucester. The next morning Maimoni returned and claimed a rogue wave had washed Martha off the boat, and he searched all night for her and found no trace. For six days police boats searched and found no sign of her. One of the investigators called Salem psychic and witch, Laurie Cabot. She asked for the victim's name, location, and date of birth. She then went into her "alpha state" and had a vision. She saw Martha on a boat with Maimoni and claimed he made sexual advances towards her. When she rebuffed him he became angry and grabbed her, dragged her across the deck, picked up a blunt object and struck her on the head. After that, he tied an anchor to her legs and a weight to her waist, and threw her overboard. Laurie told investigators Martha's body was still anchored underwater. She claimed it was near a small offshore island with a lighthouse in view. After eight days, and within hours of Laurie's vision a lobsterman found Martha's body attached to one of his traps. As predicted, an anchor was tied to her foot, and a diving belt was around her waist. The location was exactly as Laurie had described. It was just off Children's Island (formerly Cat Island) at the mouth of Marblehead Harbor. Soon after Martha's body was found Maimoni disappeared. Again, investigators went to Laurie Cabot. She sensed he had shaved off his mustache and was planning to go to Canada. Three days later a police officer in a small Maine town close to the Canadian border was called to investigate a cabin where neighbors had seen an unfamiliar car. The cabin was supposed to be vacant, but there were signs of forced entry. Inside, he found Maimoni, and just as Laurie had predicted he had shaved off his mustache, and was planning to go to Canada. Thomas Maimoni was found guilty of second-degree murder and was sentenced to life in prison. In 2017 he died in prison. Investigators believed Laurie Cabot had a hand in bringing Maimoni to justice. If Googled, you will find lots of information on this incident. At the time, it was all everyone could talk about here on the North Shore.

Take-aways and things to keep in mind from this incident (other than the obvious: How well do you really know your neighbors, and never ever get on a boat alone with someone unless you really, really, really know them), are things which might explain or help in the search for Abbie Flynn, and they are: In the ocean a body can sometimes eventually be found miles from where it entered, depending mainly upon weather conditions, currents and tides. In addition, during Chief Conley's podcast with JC someone asked if LE had thought about bringing in a psychic. CC seemed to indicate he would not be adverse to bringing in a "swami" (his word) if it would help. In 1991 Salem LE was not adverse to getting in touch with Laurie Cabot and taking advantage of her psychic abilities in the Brailsford disappearance. In fact, they gave her a lot of credit when the case finally came to a conclusion.

Laurie Cabot is, I believe, still alive and living in Salem. She has been a legend in this area for years. She would be about 88-89 yrs. now. She may not still be using her psychic abilities, but she surely had apprentices. At this point, I think it might be something for Gloucester LE to consider with regard to Abbie Flynn's disappearance. Especially, before too much more time passes.

@PipingPlover2 I had totally forgotten about Brailsford case. I grew up in Beverly, frequented the Willows and have family in Salem, Essex and Gloucester.

Hopefully they’re able to find Abbie. Unfortunately, unless she willingly disappeared, I suspect she could not have survived this long out in the elements .

Since they can't find her on ground and her area I would believe is safe, I think she drowned. Wonder if she normally walked close to water, maybe on rocks? I don't know the area so I'm just guessing.
I think so too. Finding someone in the ocean wouldn't be a piece of cake either, IMO. Currents, tides, undertow. All factors that would move her body if she fell or was swept in.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back