SOLVED MA - Jane Britton, 22, Harvard student, Cambridge, 7 Jan 1969

In my posting from yesterday, "the regular of" should read "the result of." I seem to have lost the ability to edit my postings, or forgotten how to do it.

My excuse for this typo is that I had run a marathon earlier in the day and was tired. I was glad to see a new poster (rum) and wanted to comment before packing it in.

New to this forum. Just adding my two cents.

It seems ridiculous to me that at this point, with so much linked to RMG, no one is doing anything.

I am also quite surprised at the "did they know each other?" comments. That department is small. The fifth floor is small. Everyone knows everyone. They knew each other, I have no doubts about that.

As much as I am enjoying reading Don's comments, I still would zoom in on the timeline of events of when Jane's body was discovered. I would apply Ockham's razor: simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

I do not mean to offend anyone but how do we know that both Don and Jane's brother who both posted here are in fact Don and Jane's brother? Just wondering, there seems to be a lot of imagination at work and creative fiction in the making.

I suggest someone contacts the creator of NPR's Serial Podcast, and suggest Jane and Anne cases for Season 3.

I forgot two things:

1. I am interested in more clues about Don's suspect who is now dead. Without naming names or initials, is it possible to understand who that was?

2. It was mentioned in this forum that some DP is dead. Well, there is another relevant DP who is not dead. This can be potentially confusing.

New to this forum. Just adding my two cents.

It seems ridiculous to me that at this point, with so much linked to RMG, no one is doing anything.

I am also quite surprised at the "did they know each other?" comments. That department is small. The fifth floor is small. Everyone knows everyone. They knew each other, I have no doubts about that.

As much as I am enjoying reading Don's comments, I still would zoom in on the timeline of events of when Jane's body was discovered. I would apply Ockham's razor: simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

I do not mean to offend anyone but how do we know that both Don and Jane's brother who both posted here are in fact Don and Jane's brother? Just wondering, there seems to be a lot of imagination at work and creative fiction in the making.

I suggest someone contacts the creator of NPR's Serial Podcast, and suggest Jane and Anne cases for Season 3.

Welcome to Ws ultraviolett, you make some excellent points, thanks for joining!!

I forgot two things:

1. I am interested in more clues about Don's suspect who is now dead. Without naming names or initials, is it possible to understand who that was?

You need nothing more than the information in posting #797 and that in posting #791.

I posted once previously but am primarily a lurker. I'm an archaeologist and in academia, and am one of several who has heard rumors about this case from other archaeologists for years. I am a big believer in syntheses. It may be useful to summarize some points in the hopes this helps any new people get up to speed. Don and others, if I am incorrect in any details below, please re-post a corrected version.

We have 4 victims or potential victims:
1) Jane Britton, archaeology graduate student. d. 1969, Cambridge, in her apartment. 22 yo.
2) Ada Bean, widow, previously a secretary at Harvard. d. 1969, Cambridge, in her apartment. Linked to Jane because she was killed 1 month later, with similar MO, though she was 50 yo.
3) Anne Hilda Abraham, archaeology student. d. 1976, Labrador, while on an archaeological project. 19 yo. Linked to Jane by POI # 1 below. A separate thread exists for her.
4) Katherine Herold, high schooler. d. 1985, Tonawanda, NY, in a railyard. 15 yo. Linked because her father was the boss of POI # 1 for 2 years. A separate thread exists for her. She is also considered a potential victim of Altemio Sanchez.

We have at this point several persons of interest, several of which were archaeologists present at Harvard at the time in full time or temporary capacity. In accordance with the TOS, we don't want to directly identify people without proof for obvious reasons. However, it seems to me that initials are perfectly fine. Once people sleuth out who these people are, they can contribute to building timelines for them.

1) RMG, an archaeologist who works in the northeast US, has a reputation as volatile and a little off. He had recently begun graduate studies at Harvard at the time. Alive.
2) I will go out on a limb and label the next person as LAP to facilitate communication. He was an archaeologist who had recently come to Harvard to work at the Peabody Museum. Don Mitchell suspected this person, based on behavior at the time, a more solid connection to Jane, and a later thirdhand statement about having killed someone. This statement passed through a couple of people. The person who directly heard the statement is DEP, another archaeologist who passed away suddenly in 1978 (Providing his full initials might help avoid crossover with another DP that was mentioned at one point). Deceased.
3) Unnamed person, no initials. Suspected by Jane's brother, below, but reportedly had an alibi. That doesn't mean we couldn't pursue the construction of a timeline however. Alive.
4) CCLK, an archaeologist at Harvard with whom Jane worked. His name crops up on occasion, but I have never been aware of anything more concrete than that. Am I correct that Jane was thought to have had an affair with him, or was that just rumor? Alive.

We have been introduced to other members of the list who are important direct sources.

1) Don Mitchell, next door neighbor of Jane Britton and great source of information. His posts throughout this thread have been invaluable for grounding the discussion and fleshing out frustratingly vague newspaper accounts. They are scattered all through the thread however.
2) Reverend Boyd Britton, Jane Britton's brother.

Looking at this summary, I think that this group has pulled out some interesting details in the course of 4 years.

The Jane Britton murder seems to be the exception.
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/press_box/2009/09/murder_draped_in_ivy.html
Sept. 17 2009 7:30 PM

[h=1]Murder Draped in Ivy[/h] [h=2]Why the press can't get enough of Harvard or Yale murders.[/h] By Jack Shafer

If you plan to be murdered and expect decent press coverage, please have the good sense to be a Harvard or Yale student or professor. America's top dailies and the cable networks will rush to the scene of the crime and sniff the vicinity for clues to your demise. They'll scrape your personal history and publish enough information to serve as a foundation for a made-for-TV movie about you.

Likewise, if you kill somebody and want the press to go all Nancy Grace on your *advertiser censored*, make sure your victim attends or works at Harvard or Yale. Journalists almost everywhere observe this rough rule of thumb: Three murders at a Midwestern college equal one murder at Harvard or Yale.

Good to see you here, csb.

I don't think there was any serious talk about the "CCLK" figure as a suspect. I don't remember ever hearing rumors of an affair, although it was believed that the police had asked him about it, and he answered with an insult about Jane, which was much talked about.

The strongest evidence against LAP surely exists in Lt Joyce's notes, but isn't known to me. Lt Joyce did write me a letter in which he said something like "I am of the opinion that he could have been involved," as I mentioned here some time in the past.

If only some independent investigator could have a look at Joyce's material!

A couple of months ago I was going through more old boxes of papers, and found a letter dated May 1, 1996, from Susan Kelly. In that letter, she wrote

"For a non-fiction book I am writing about Jane Britton, who was murdered in 1969, I am seeking to interview people who knew her. I have already spoken to Jane's father and brother, who have given their approval to this project . . . ."

Much earlier in this thread I wrote about a phone conversation I had with a woman who was asking about the cigarette butt and the possibility of recovering DNA from it. The letter's date matches my recollection. I couldn't remember who the caller was, but now I feel confident that it was Ms Kelly. Obviously she never wrote that book -- it would be interesting to learn why not.

The letter was quite specific that she was working on a book "about Jane Britton."

Good to see you here, csb.

I don't think there was any serious talk about the "CCLK" figure as a suspect. I don't remember ever hearing rumors of an affair, although it was believed that the police had asked him about it, and he answered with an insult about Jane, which was much talked about.

The strongest evidence against LAP surely exists in Lt Joyce's notes, but isn't known to me. Lt Joyce did write me a letter in which he said something like "I am of the opinion that he could have been involved," as I mentioned here some time in the past.

If only some independent investigator could have a look at Joyce's material!

A couple of months ago I was going through more old boxes of papers, and found a letter dated May 1, 1996, from Susan Kelly. In that letter, she wrote

"For a non-fiction book I am writing about Jane Britton, who was murdered in 1969, I am seeking to interview people who knew her. I have already spoken to Jane's father and brother, who have given their approval to this project . . . ."

Much earlier in this thread I wrote about a phone conversation I had with a woman who was asking about the cigarette butt and the possibility of recovering DNA from it. The letter's date matches my recollection. I couldn't remember who the caller was, but now I feel confident that it was Ms Kelly. Obviously she never wrote that book -- it would be interesting to learn why not.

http://www.obitcentral.com/obitsearch/obits/misc/anthro10.htm

Thanks for posting!
rbbm
By Todd Wallack Globe Staff June 19, 2017
Forty-eight years ago, Harvard graduate student Jane Sanders Britton was found bludgeoned to death in Cambridge, with red powder sprinkled around her apartment. The case has never been solved. Now three outside researchers — including the longtime leader of a Boston think tank and a former writer for New Yorker magazine — are fighting to see the case files in hopes they may be able to finally solve the mystery.
Globe reporter Todd Wallack, who wrote about their quest for the records in Saturday’s Globe, answered some questions about the case.
What was mysterious about the case?

Jane Britton’s death made national headlines at the time. It involved a talented graduate student at Harvard University. Her father was a vice president at Radcliffe (Harvard’s affiliate for women at the time) but her death flummoxed police, who never named any suspects. The motive was unclear. Britton’s money and valuables were untouched. And no one heard any screams from her apartment, despite the fact that her windows were open
Why won’t the Middlesex district attorney, Marian Ryan, release the records?

Ryan said she doesn’t want to risk jeopardizing any potential prosecution by releasing documents on the case. If someone eventually confesses, prosecutors could help determine whether the confession is authentic by checking to see whether the person provided any details only the killer would know. That job becomes harder if all the details on the case are public. Though it’s been 48 years, Ryan said she hasn’t given up on solving the case and doesn’t want to hurt the investigation. She pointed out that her office brought charges in another 1969 murder after one of the killers came forward in 2011. And on Monday, the DA’s office said it has decided to conduct additional DNA testing in the Britton case, which could potentially provide new leads.

attachment.php

A police photograph shows the apartment where Jane Britton, a graduate student, was found murdered.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    FullSizeRender (2).jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 118
Published on Jun 28, 2017
[video=youtube;Q1euDzeyADc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1euDzeyADc[/video]

This is a very interesting interview. So glad these men are trying to get more information from local officials about Jane's case. The DA is adamant about keeping everything under wraps, even though they're not doing anything to resolve the case. Lots of bureaucracy talk. Around 4:57 she shifts in her seat and does something off camera that distracts the guy talking.

I really like the interviewer. Seems like he's really pushing the prosecutor to move forward with the case. Calling her out a little bit.

At approx 6:16 the DA states, "right now we are doing the testing". It's been 5 weeks since this report was published so... I wonder if she will have results anytime soon?

Sadly, I always remember Robin Hood's post (Jan 2013) regarding a Boston law enforcement suspect sketch... they provided it... completely blacked out. *It wasn't even Jane's case... the victim was Ada Bean... murdered about a month after Jane.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...nt-Cambridge-7-Jan-1969&p=8749365#post8749365

Hello everyone! I'm new to websleuths. This is my first post and really the first thread I've read. I would like to ask Don some questions. I believe I know who you're POI is and I'm going to try to put this as delicately as possible.

1. Did the person have an extra family moniker, so to speak?
2. Did they die on an island?
3. Was their area of expertise small characters, so to speak?

Scratch that. You originally stated he died in 1999. Now you say oct 96. Back to the obits. I knew I should have read the last few pages of threads. Ugh.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gingerdoodle
Back