Found Deceased MA - Meghan Marohn, 43, from NY, car found near Longcope Park, Lee, 28 Mar 2022 *Reward*

Very sad news :(

LEE, Mass. — Investigators located and recovered human remains presumed to be of 42-year-old Meghan Marohn, who was reported missing on March 29, according to the Berkshire District Attorney's Office.

On Thursday evening, a civilian discovered the remains in a heavily wooded area near Fox Drive in Lee. The Office of the Chief Medical Examiner took custody of the remains to make a positive identification.

Investigators are still actively canvassing the area, and the evidence collected thus far indicates a high likelihood that the remains are that of Marohn.

Marohn's family reported her missing on March 29, and Lee Police located her black 2017 Subaru Impreza unlocked and unattended at Longcope Park that same day. Since then, Lee Police, Lee Fire, State Police from the Lee Barracks, State Police K9 and Airwing, State Police Special Emergency Response Team, Berkshire County Sheriff's Office, Albany (N.Y.) County Sheriff's Department, and the Berkshire Mountain Search and Rescue Team coordinated continuous searches for Marohn.

Marohn was a 10th-grade English teacher and poet at Shaker High School in Latham, N.Y., who had been on a leave of absence. She had reportedly been staying at the Red Lion Inn in Stockbridge. Her family said she enjoyed hiking and police believe she went for a walk after her car was found near a trail in Lee on March 27. There was no sign of tampering with her car and police were able to track her cell phone activity for a short time until the signal stopped.

Lee Police and state police responded to the scene. Authorities, including the Bethlehem, N.Y., Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding Marohn's disappearance. That investigation remains ongoing.
Oh no! I was really pulling for Meghan. So sorry for her family, friends and students.What a terrible loss. We need more Meghans in this world.

I am confused by the map in the article. She parked at the trailhead to Longcope Park (it has signage & a small lot) near 335 Church St. The park has frontage on Church St.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220902-222135_(1).png
    Screenshot_20220902-222135_(1).png
    569.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20220902-222149_(1).png
    Screenshot_20220902-222149_(1).png
    298.5 KB · Views: 19
Wow. I am so sorry this is how it ends.

I am learning that I am a highly sensitive person who's endured a lot of varied traumas, who constantly feels the need to take the world's grief and put it on my own shoulders - much to my detriment (as my therapist says). Suffering fascinates and repulses me and inspires me and I study it obsessively.
I want to gather all the knowledge and prevent all the suffering. Impossible goal, but I'm stuck on it.
Meg feels much the same and I've looked for updates on her case so, so often.

Between Meg's article about Joan Didion and NYC and love and politics and pain, and her friend's beautiful article about desperately missing everything Meg was, it makes you feel like you know her. Parts of Meg described to us screamed so loud, right off the page. I wanted to hug her.

My best friend died in June. He was so young, so caring, so full of potential. So goofy. So beautiful.
I know the feelings her friend is describing intimately. Your brain lives on a loop of haunting what-ifs. What if I could've saved you, what if you lived, what if I KNEW, what if I could turn back time, what if you come back, and, what do I do with myself now if you don't come back.

Many of us who care so much about missing people are desperately affected by the pain of the world much more than others may be, and I'm sure Meg is relatable to some of you here, also.

I am praying for her, her family, and her friends that are family. Her suffering and pain are over now, which to me, is the only silver lining about losing such a bright light in what is very often a dark world. I wish life was easier on her. Trauma can really wear some of us down to a scary degree.

I hope foul play wasn't involved and that she died peacefully with the sun shining on her face.

This is heartbreaking. From a map search, I wondered if she was found on Fox Hollow Drive. This abuts Edith Wharton's estate. Possible that she walked over there from where her car is parked. From what I've read about Meghan, I can imagine her being drawn to Wharton's work. Rest in peace, Meghan.

Gray Hughes covers. Starts about 6:40 on his clock

Thanks for posting -- this shows up at 26:20 or so for me.

I'm not sure what map program he's using, but google maps clearly shows construction and an open field off that road, and there's been a mailbox since at least 2009, so it's definitely not a street with nothing on it. His take is very interesting, because of the location, and how easy it would be to get from the utility right-of-way, I tend to think she got lost and wandered around for a long time, ending up there and maybe succumbing to hypothermia. But he raises a good point about the cellphone pings and the way the car was parked.

I don't know how anyone can watch his live streams, there's some interesting stuff and he's really good at manipulating maps to give you a sense of locations, but there's so much... off-topic talking talking talking and complaining and in between, it's super-tedious. MOO.

I am confused by the map in the article. She parked at the trailhead to Longcope Park (it has signage & a small lot) near 335 Church St. The park has frontage on Church St.
The Berkshire Eagle's map is incorrect. Can't believe they got the park location wrong! Excuse my crude map attached here, but my red lines roughly indicate the perimeter of Longcope Park with the parking lot indicated on Church Street. My blue circle roughly indicates the meadow at the end of Fox Drive that I believe police officers were using as a command center.

Attachments

• mm.png
    mm.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 30
I'm sure we will know more once we know cause and manner of death, but for now, what are we thinking happened? Her phone pinged in the opposite direction from where her body was found. According to the person who initially noticed her car (the article with this person's quotes was in the GH video), the weather the day she went missing was complete garbage - rain, cold, snow, wind. I can't imagine wanting to walk around for miles in this weather. Did she really just start wandering around going in different directions?

It's also odd to me that her car doors were unlocked (source again is the GH video and an article he reads from in that video). We may have discussed this previously - it has been awhile. Doors unlocked lead me to believe either foul play or self harm. Or I guess just an overly trusting view of society, but I feel it's pretty common knowledge at trailheads especially to lock your doors as it's a very common car burglary location (trailheads in general, not this specific one).

This is heartbreaking. From a map search, I wondered if she was found on Fox Hollow Drive. This abuts Edith Wharton's estate. Possible that she walked over there from where her car is parked. From what I've read about Meghan, I can imagine her being drawn to Wharton's work. Rest in peace, Meghan.
Fox Hollow Drive, a different road, next to The Mount (Wharton's estate) is in Lenox, several miles north.

Thanks for posting -- this shows up at 26:20 or so for me.

I'm not sure what map program he's using, but google maps clearly shows construction and an open field off that road, and there's been a mailbox since at least 2009, so it's definitely not a street with nothing on it. His take is very interesting, because of the location, and how easy it would be to get from the utility right-of-way, I tend to think she got lost and wandered around for a long time, ending up there and maybe succumbing to hypothermia. But he raises a good point about the cellphone pings and the way the car was parked.

I don't know how anyone can watch his live streams, there's some interesting stuff and he's really good at manipulating maps to give you a sense of locations, but there's so much... off-topic talking talking talking and complaining and in between, it's super-tedious. MOO.
It is a bit confusing because at first, I couldn't find Fox Drive on Google Maps at all. It wanted to show me Fox Run Road just east of there. Here's a link to Bing maps, zoomed into Fox Drive with the meadow north of the single house at the end of Fox Drive.

Edited to add - for some reason my link above is displaying the area just east of Fox Drive, so pan to the left a bit.

The Berkshire Eagle's map is incorrect. Can't believe they got the park location wrong! Excuse my crude map attached here, but my red lines roughly indicate the perimeter of Longcope Park with the parking lot indicated on Church Street. My blue circle roughly indicates the meadow at the end of Fox Drive that I believe police officers were using as a command center.
Thanks for posting this map, Jersey! Taking your map, I superimposed a couple routes that I think could be plausible for her to have covered on foot if lost. For the one I marked in orange, I can see getting to the second utility right-of-way and thinking, "oh crumb, I thought this would take me back toward the road, now what?" Alternately, for the purple one, I could see her getting to the road and thinking, "wait, this isn't Church Street, I don't think I'm anywhere near my car. I better cut back through," and heading up Fox Dr.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 10.14.28 AM-small res.png
    Screen Shot 2022-09-03 at 10.14.28 AM-small res.png
    260.4 KB · Views: 29
Wow. I am so sorry this is how it ends.

I am learning that I am a highly sensitive person who's endured a lot of varied traumas, who constantly feels the need to take the world's grief and put it on my own shoulders - much to my detriment (as my therapist says). Suffering fascinates and repulses me and inspires me and I study it obsessively.
I want to gather all the knowledge and prevent all the suffering. Impossible goal, but I'm stuck on it.
Meg feels much the same and I've looked for updates on her case so, so often.

Between Meg's article about Joan Didion and NYC and love and politics and pain, and her friend's beautiful article about desperately missing everything Meg was, it makes you feel like you know her. Parts of Meg described to us screamed so loud, right off the page. I wanted to hug her.

My best friend died in June. He was so young, so caring, so full of potential. So goofy. So beautiful.
I know the feelings her friend is describing intimately. Your brain lives on a loop of haunting what-ifs. What if I could've saved you, what if you lived, what if I KNEW, what if I could turn back time, what if you come back, and, what do I do with myself now if you don't come back.

Many of us who care so much about missing people are desperately affected by the pain of the world much more than others may be, and I'm sure Meg is relatable to some of you here, also.

I am praying for her, her family, and her friends that are family. Her suffering and pain are over now, which to me, is the only silver lining about losing such a bright light in what is very often a dark world. I wish life was easier on her. Trauma can really wear some of us down to a scary degree.

I hope foul play wasn't involved and that she died peacefully with the sun shining on her face.
Beautiful perfect post.

Do we really think she actually became genuinely lost in the woods?

There are plenty of paths, and the roads aren't too far in any direction. She would have come out somewhere eventually.

Although maybe in her state of mind she panicked? The her body gave in to the cold?

Once thing that makes me sad, is that her school just put her on leave without much duty of care, follow&up or resolution. Almost like they abandoned her and got rid of their 'problem'.

MOO.

There are plenty of paths, and the roads aren't too far in any direction. She would have come out somewhere eventually.

Although maybe in her state of mind she panicked? The her body gave in to the cold?

Once thing that makes me sad, is that her school just put her on leave without much duty of care, follow&up or resolution. Almost like they abandoned her and got rid of their 'problem'.

MOO.
There are unknowns around her taking leave.
While it may not have been completely her decision, I'm not sure we will ever know those circumstances clearly. They wouldn't even share the details with her brother when she disappeared.

LE might be able to penetrate the HR "wall of silence" but that still doesn't mean the public will ever know any details.

I don't think there was a sudden crisis in MM's life although the work difficulties might have created a "tipping point."

Hopefully, an investigation will help explain her death. It definitely lends itself to suspicion. I find the distance she may have traveled by foot, knowing her hiking boots were found in her car, to be odd.

I don't lean toward criminal circumstances but it would be good to have clarity.

MOO.
I'm kind of agnostic at this point. I could see it being foul play (which is what I thought from the beginning until her remains were found), but I could also see it being a tragic accident. It can be very confusing when you lose a trail, even in a park that's not that big. The weather was bad. It's embarrassing to be lost. She could have had the same thought "This park isn't that big, I'll be able to get back to the car eventually" but walking in one direction when you are confident that you are heading in the right direction, only to find yourself on a utility right-of-way that is obviously not part of the park, or walking out of the woods to a road, only to realize that your car is no where to be found and that you have a lot more walking ahead can be sort of scary. I could see panicking and starting to walk and getting more and more confused.

A major question I have right now is where exactly was she found (which we have not learned yet). Did she cross the utility/right-of-way "path" and wind up close to my blue circled meadow area where the police set up their command center (see #2 in attached image)? Or was she still north of it (see #1 in attached image)? If I was hiking and felt I was lost and came across the utility lines path, knowing I hadn't crossed it before I'm not sure I'd continue in that direction. But since we don't know anything about her route, maybe she crossed it several times, back and forth.

I wonder if she fell and injured herself, possibly even a head injury that left her disoriented, and she started wandering to try to get back to her car.

Attachments

• mm-side.png
    mm-side.png
    1 MB · Views: 13

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members