Found Deceased MA - Michael Doherty, 20, Franklin, 14 May 2017

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wasn't Leanne Bearden's a suicide?

This doesn't feel like a suicide to me but I've been surprised in the past. I hope the search is thorough - that means looking both up and down. There was a case in Maine where a yong lady wasn't found right away even though she was right there - up in a tree with a noose. I don't think that's the case here though - the marshes can hide a lot.

This doesn't feel like a suicide to me but I've been surprised in the past. I hope the search is thorough - that means looking both up and down. There was a case in Maine where a yong lady wasn't found right away even though she was right there - up in a tree with a noose. I don't think that's the case here though - the marshes can hide a lot.

I agree - I'm not getting the sense it was suicide, unless there was a breakup he was distraught over, etc. but again I too have been wrong. I think intoxicated, plus downpour, plus temperatures and night, may have just been a sadly deadly combo...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did I miss the link which confirmed that he was highly intoxicated and incoherent?

I think perhaps my original comment was misworded. By, "turned out to be true", I meant that the police's suspicions were correct, that it was not the result of foul play.

Sorry, BluesClues, maybe I misread your post..I thought you said: "Police had reason to suspect foul play and it turned out to be true.." Must've overlooked that little word "not"...My bad.

I'm so confused. Why would he turn down a ride from his friends, but text his brothers for a ride?

I wouldn't let a friend walk alone at 1:30 AM even if it was "just a mile".

Maybe they were drinking a lot and he didn't want to take that risk with riding with a drunk driver.

If it was poring rain and that cold more like a freezing rain on your body.I think he got hypothermia and got disoriented and started taking his clothes off,which is normal if you get hypothermia Hypothermia can occur when you are exposed to cold air, water, wind, or rain. Your body temperature can drop to a low level at temperatures of 50°F (10°C) or higher in wet and windy weather, or if you are in 60°F (16°C) to 70°F (21°C) water.As your body temperature drops, signs and symptoms of moderate to severe hypothermia include:
Shivering, although as hypothermia worsens, shivering stops.
Clumsiness or lack of coordination.
Slurred speech or mumbling.
Confusion and poor decision-making, such as trying to remove warm clothes.
Drowsiness or very low energy.

I have been following this case and am very concerned for this young man.

Michael's disappearance reminds me so much of the Colin Gillis case (sadly, 5 years later and Colin has not been found ) http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...is-18-Tupper-Lake-2am-on-11-March-2012/page52

They both left a party alone in bad weather in the wee morning hours. They both had come home from a college break and were visiting with old hometown friends. They both had personal items found near they were last seen (in Colin's case his license and a pipe were found). They both were offered rides that were declined. In Colin's case, there was a fight at the party but we don't know any details about the fight.

I have been sleuthing and bumping Colin's case for 5 years...I really hope that Michael's case is solved soon.

still missing, still searching, family heartbroken:

http://www.masslive.com/news/index.ssf/2017/05/mother_of_missing_20-year-old.html

Search crews battled 90 degree heat and loads of ticks as they trudged through the marshy area Wednesday. They searched in mud that was five feet thick in some areas of a marsh.

http://www.fox25boston.com/news/cre...-search-for-missing-college-student/523828618

Crews are expected to resume their search Thursday morning, and police are expected to provide an update around 9 a.m.

I could be on board with the accident theory but what prevents me is the fact that it hasn't been confirmed that he was "highly intoxicated".

LE must know more if they truly don't suspect foul play.

Could definitely be a "perfect storm" of things adding up but there are also things that seem odd.

In a brief update at 9 a.m. Thursday, Franklin Police Deputy Chief said the search had covered an area with a radius of over one mile so far.

“Today’s search is primarily going to be K9 and water-based. We’re going to continue to search in that one-mile radius we spoke of. There are certain areas within that radius that we’re going to try to focus on today. They’ve been very hard to get into, so we’re going to try to hit those areas hard with the K9s.”

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2017/05/18/franklin-search-missing-student-michael-doherty/

I could be on board with the accident theory but what prevents me is the fact that it hasn't been confirmed that he was "highly intoxicated".

LE must know more if they truly don't suspect foul play.

Could definitely be a "perfect storm" of things adding up but there are also things that seem odd.

That's what gets me... although looks can be deceiving, maybe they were all pretty drunk too and just thought he wasn't drunk. Although, if everyone at the party can attest to his state it seems like it wouldn't be wrong. The possibilities are endless

That's what gets me... although looks can be deceiving, maybe they were all pretty drunk too and just thought he wasn't drunk. Although, if everyone at the party can attest to his state it seems like it wouldn't be wrong. The possibilities are endless

I don't know if he would have needed to be highly intoxicated to have gotten into trouble in that marsh, from the looks of it, although the odds are that he probably was. And the weather was nasty, and it was awfully dark out. This makes me so sad for his family

May 18, 2017 09:00hrs - Media Release
The Franklin Police Department is continuing to search for missing 20 year old resident Michael Doherty. Over the last several days ground, air, and water assets and personnel have covered approximately a 1+ mile radius from the last known location where Michael was seen. There are still areas within that radius that need further scrutiny.
Today we are continuing with utilizing K9 and water assets from the Metropolitan Law Enforcement Council (MetroLEC), Massachusetts State Police, Massachusetts Environmental Police, and several area community police and fire departments to reach into those identified areas which have been difficult to access, and attempt to locate Michael. Should new information come light, additional resources can be summonsed immediately. The investigation continues to be conducted by the Franklin Police Detective Unit, with assistance from the Norfolk County District Attorney’s Office, and technical computer assistance from the Department of Homeland Security Investigations.
No further media releases will be issued until new information becomes available.

:-/

I still feel that someone at that party had something to do with his disappearance.

That's what gets me... although looks can be deceiving, maybe they were all pretty drunk too and just thought he wasn't drunk. Although, if everyone at the party can attest to his state it seems like it wouldn't be wrong. The possibilities are endless[/QIm;

The Commonwealth of MA makes it a crime for anyone to sell, deliver, or furnish alcohol or alcoholic beverages to anyone under the age of twenty-one, pursuant to G.L. c. 138, sec. 34A. The violation of this law is punishable by a maximum fine of $2,000, by maximum imprisonment of 1 year, or both. Under this law, to “furnish” is to knowingly or intentionally supply, give, provide or allow a person under 21 to possess alcoholic beverages. This law makes an exception for parents and grandparents. Unless it was a BYOB party there may be legal liability here.

I still feel that someone at that party had something to do with his disappearance.
''

Happy to discuss possible theories with you... let me know what type of scenarios are playing through your head.

Have there been any reports of how the friends at the party are now reacting to disappearance? FB posts? Funds? Helping with the search?

Has anyone else noticed that in several articles Michael's mother has referred to him in past tense?

"Michael WAS our middle son."

https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2...-near-brook/5Zi9xgNw3y9FDikDpXWkPP/story.html

I know the chances of him being found safe and well grow slimmer with each day, but I find it very odd that his mother is already referring to him with "was". Unless the LE have told them why they don't suspect foul play (he left the party suicidal or something like that?).

~~~
I just wish he would have *called* his brother rather than
just texted him. This is just so sad.
And I think it probably was just a "perfect storm" scenerio...
especially with his phone not being fully charged. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member