MA - Professor Karen Read, 43, charged with murdering police officer boyfriend John O'Keefe by hitting him with car, Canton, 14 Apr 2023 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
After watching the testimony today, I felt Chris was hostile and lied about the joke regarding JOK and his lawn (calling JOK Nebbercracker). I feel that if Chris had just testified that JOK complained that one of his children was doing whatever and Chris said he just apologized, talked to his son and made a joke about it to be friends, that I would have believed it. But Chris got so angry and defensive and denied any kind of joke. Too obvious!

Last edited:
Brian Albert Jr. is the son of Brian Albert. The gathering at the Alberts’ home the night of Jan. 28 was for his birthday.

Chris Albert is Brian Albert’s brother. He also serves on the Canton Select Board. He has testified that he was at the restaurant and bar with the group in the hours before O'Keefe's death.

Chris was neighbors with John O'Keefe, Boston Magazine reported.

Julie Albert is Chris Albert's wife. She has testified that she was at the restaurant and bar with the group in the hours before O'Keefe's death.

Colin Albert is the son of Chris and Julie Albert. Read’s defense team says that Colin was at the Canton home the night before O’Keefe was found dead. He is one of the three that Read’s lawyer said had “a motive, the opportunity and means to attack John O'Keefe.”

Prosecutors have said that Colin had left his uncle’s home before O’Keefe and Read arrived.

Kevin Albert is Brian’s brother. He serves in the Canton Police Department as a detective.

Brian Higgins is an agent for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. He was reportedly at the Fairview Road home the night before O’Keefe was found dead. He is one of the three who Read’s defense team says had “a motive, the opportunity and means to attack John O'Keefe.” Higgins was reportedly a friend of Brian Albert.

The Commonwealth stated that the defense's statements about Higgins lacked evidence and made for a "fanciful" story.

Jennifer McCabe is Brian's sister-in-law. McCabe was part of the group that was out drinking the night of Jan. 28. The defense has long alleged that McCabe used her phone to search "Hos [sic] long to die in cold" around 2:30 a.m. -- something prosecutors have claimed she actually searched hours later, after O'Keefe had been found.

Michael Proctor is a Massachusetts State Police trooper who led the investigation in the Read case.

Thank you for this fantastic list! Just some follow-up questions if someone can help me out here, please and thank you.

Were O'Keefe's knuckles bruised as has been alleged? TIA

Which Brian is Jennifer McCabe's BIL, Higgins or Albert? TIA

Why would someone search how long to die in the cold directly in the hours proceeding a supposed friend doing just that? That doesn't sound right. It seems much more likely the search was done before death. moo and TIA

Why would someone search how long to die in the cold directly in the hours proceeding a supposed friend doing just that? That doesn't sound right. It seems much more likely the search was done before death. moo and TIA
The (implied) allegation is that JM (and others) knew he was out there in the cold before KR discovered him.

Brian Albert Jr. is the son of Brian Albert. The gathering at the Alberts’ home the night of Jan. 28 was for his birthday.

Chris Albert is Brian Albert’s brother. He also serves on the Canton Select Board. He has testified that he was at the restaurant and bar with the group in the hours before O'Keefe's death.

Chris was neighbors with John O'Keefe, Boston Magazine reported.

Julie Albert is Chris Albert's wife. She has testified that she was at the restaurant and bar with the group in the hours before O'Keefe's death.

Colin Albert is the son of Chris and Julie Albert. Read’s defense team says that Colin was at the Canton home the night before O’Keefe was found dead. He is one of the three that Read’s lawyer said had “a motive, the opportunity and means to attack John O'Keefe.”

Prosecutors have said that Colin had left his uncle’s home before O’Keefe and Read arrived.

Kevin Albert is Brian’s brother. He serves in the Canton Police Department as a detective.

Brian Higgins is an agent for the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. He was reportedly at the Fairview Road home the night before O’Keefe was found dead. He is one of the three who Read’s defense team says had “a motive, the opportunity and means to attack John O'Keefe.” Higgins was reportedly a friend of Brian Albert.

The Commonwealth stated that the defense's statements about Higgins lacked evidence and made for a "fanciful" story.

Jennifer McCabe is Brian's sister-in-law. McCabe was part of the group that was out drinking the night of Jan. 28. The defense has long alleged that McCabe used her phone to search "Hos [sic] long to die in cold" around 2:30 a.m. -- something prosecutors have claimed she actually searched hours later, after O'Keefe had been found.

Michael Proctor is a Massachusetts State Police trooper who led the investigation in the Read case.

You're missing the most important Albert: Chloe the dog.

She's known to have a temper and has allegedly gone on the lam. Just like her fellow Bay Stater, Whitey Bulger.

Last edited:
Most likely, ought to wait until snow plower is on the stand, but here goes. If I am on this jury, I dont think I’d consider the snow plower’s testimony credible. Just because snow plower didn’t see body doesnt mean it wasn’t there. moo
Eyewitness testimony is direct evidence and worthy of consideration. There may have been a body there and he didn't see it but I would not label his testimony not credible. If he said he didn't see a body then I would think he just did not see a body whether one was there or not. Taking his statement at face value, he did not see a body. JMOO

I feel like I should just link today's testimony.... but here is what happened.

She got up. Went to get donuts. Went to 34 Fairview. Found out about JO. Went home. Told Chris.
I think it’s fair to say you are taking Julie’s testimony today at her word.

I think we should put it all into context.
Timing of July’s and Chris is accounts when they went to bed do not match. Neither does their account of Colin saying good night to them.
Chris said he woke up at 8 on his own.
Julie said she woke up to a missed call, did not reach back, drove to dd and was at the Albert’s by 8:30.
She saw NO ONE in the yard-crime scene already done with!!!
Her tradition is to drop of birthday donuts on the counter.
This year she said she wanted to leave the donuts in Colin’s car and did not want to go into the house, but Brian insisted she does (multiple times).
She’s then told that they found JO in the yard and they do not know his current state.
She stays at the house for 45 minutes!!! Then drives home to WAKE Chris up and states that is when she told him about JO.
So…. Chris says today he woke up on his own at 8, not at 10:30!!

I bet it is lively in their household tonight!!!

I bet it is lively in their household tonight!!!
Chris's testimony was dumb. Yanetti walked him into changing his testimony about Colin's arrival home right before our eyes.

Julie's testimony was just weird. Six donuts. In a blizzard. (we saw how bad things were already getting 1.5 hours earlier on the dashcams). Why not make it a baker's dozen if you're making that trek?
Sees all kinds of vehicles in the driveway, but hell bent just to put the donuts in the birthday boy's car (so they could freeze up nice and cold, I guess). She doesn't want to know what the commotion is all about and is practically dragged into the house by Brian Albert.
Instead of calling her husband to tell him what's going on, after 30 - 45 minutes she drives back home in the blizzard, gets Chris and then they come immediately back to the Albert house.

I think the judge stopping where she did was a gift to the defense. Gives them more time to prepare to deal with this weirdness tomorrow. I'd also like a little clarity about when that call from Jen McCabe actually came in. The early one Julie neither heard nor responded to.

Eyewitness testimony is direct evidence and worthy of consideration. There may have been a body there and he didn't see it but I would not label his testimony not credible. If he said he didn't see a body then I would think he just did not see a body whether one was there or not. Taking his statement at face value, he did not see a body. JMOO

Lucky not only didn't see a body at 2:30, he DID see a Ford Edge parked in front of the flag pole area at 3:00 or 3:30. I'm pretty sure he also said he asked Brian Albert about it when he next saw him, because it was no doubt annoying for him to deal with the obstacle to getting his work done. But we'll hear more soon enough.

I just watched the Chris Albert testimony. The difference in his body language and demeanor when is son is introduced into the questioning is palpable and telling. In my opinion he's clearly protecting his son (as any parent might do) for SOMETHING. Not necessarily anything nefarious...it might be something completely innocent and innocuous. But his body language absolutely changes.

I felt that the Defense was stretching a bit when they were going over the fact that JO didn't like people on his lawn until CA couldn't remember who took the photos of he and his wife on JO's property as exhibited in the evidence photos. CA states that they were watching his home while he was out of town but there's nobody to substantiate that.

My take on the photos is that they were taunting...not light hearted. What if Colin Albert, who had ALLEGEDLY run afoul of JO, and his parents were out drinking and thought it was a fun idea to "spit in the eye" of someone who a family member had a prior beef with? Light hearted? Taunting? Who knows?! Without further context or testimony to either confirm or deny the fact that they were watching the property it remains subjective.

Pure speculation on my part...but it caught my brain.

Lucky not only didn't see a body at 2:30, he DID see a Ford Edge parked in front of the flag pole area at 3:00 or 3:30. I'm pretty sure he also said he asked Brian Albert about it when he next saw him, because it was no doubt annoying for him to deal with the obstacle to getting his work done. But we'll hear more soon enough.
If someone leaves their vehicle on the street here during a parking ban, the plow driver makes several good passes right close to the vehicle and pretty much buries the vehicle about halfway up its doors. (I learned the hard way not to leave my vehicle on the street.) Very much looking forward to testimony from the plow driver.

I would think that making sure the children he was caring for were safe and provided for, making phone calls, helping prepare meals, all of that would be foremost on a friend's mind in those precious first hours. MOO

Not sure about preparing meals but friends testified in previous days that those other things were on their minds and were attended to.

I don't know what happened in this case -- I have no opinion yet as to guilt or cover up, but I do think that trying to figure out what MIGHT have happened to cause or contribute to a friend or even acquaintance's death IS normal if people were trying to make sense of something that seemed senseless.

I have googled similar things just from reading news articles about missing or found people.

Because they were trying to understand what might have happened to their friend?
Although he legally could not be pronounced so at the scene, he was dead when they got there and I'm sure he looked it from Paul O'Keefe's description of his brother when he saw him a little later in the hospital. Karen asking Jen to ask Google how long it would take him to die in the snow seems a strange request to me. This was at 6:24 so the first responders were there by then. I didn't hear any of them testify that Karen shouted out this internet search request and she could have asked the EMTs instead of have Jen ask Google.

Of course the defense contends the search happened at 2:27 am.

If someone leaves their vehicle on the street here during a parking ban, the plow driver makes several good passes right close to the vehicle and pretty much buries the vehicle about halfway up its doors. (I learned the hard way not to leave my vehicle on the street.) Very much looking forward to testimony from the plow driver.
True, but at that time there just wasn’t that much snow. The prosecution has WAY oversold the snow issue. Granted, by 7am or so it was really coming down but by 6:00am it was only about 4 inches at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member