MA MA - Simone Ridinger, 17, Sherborn, 2 Sept 1977

I found this link with an article on Simone's case (along with a few other MA mysteries), pretty interesting items I took away:

Unsolved Crimes

- Article clearly spells out Simone's destination was Chappaquidick on the island of Martha's Vineyard and she intended on taking the ferry. This calls into question why the "old man" said he dropped her off at the "airport rotary" in Hyannis. Him going on to Osterville from Hyannis makes sense. Simone catching the ferry to MV from Hyannis does not.

- The article provides a name to the "old man" From the sound of it, he was very insistent the girl he picked up was Simone.

- The article also mentions the initial lead detective, George Stevens documented there were witnesses who confirmed they saw Simone walk to the bus stop. So, if this is true, where was she between this time and 6:45 Saturday morning when the "old man allegedly saw her in the MS trooper's car and gave her a ride?

- To clarify, the "old man" was 79 in 1986 when he reported his story to Sherborn Police

- Interesting that Kim Morrow, did not remember giving Simone a ride around the time of her disappearance.

- Gives the name of the "photographer" who took pictures of Simone and gave them to her family around the time of her disappearance.

I found this link with an article on Simone's case (along with a few other MA mysteries), pretty interesting items I took away:

Unsolved Crimes

- Article clearly spells out Simone's destination was Chappaquidick on the island of Martha's Vineyard and she intended on taking the ferry. This calls into question why the "old man" said he dropped her off at the "airport rotary" in Hyannis. Him going on to Osterville from Hyannis makes sense. Simone catching the ferry to MV from Hyannis does not.

- The article provides a name to the "old man" From the sound of it, he was very insistent the girl he picked up was Simone.

- The article also mentions the initial lead detective, George Stevens documented there were witnesses who confirmed they saw Simone walk to the bus stop. So, if this is true, where was she between this time and 6:45 Saturday morning when the "old man allegedly saw her in the MS trooper's car and gave her a ride?

- To clarify, the "old man" was 79 in 1986 when he reported his story to Sherborn Police

- Interesting that Kim Morrow, did not remember giving Simone a ride around the time of her disappearance.

- Gives the name of the "photographer" who took pictures of Simone and gave them to her family around the time of her disappearance.
I tend to believe the old man's account. I suspect that Simone had plans that were unknown to most of her acquaintances. She may have intended to rendezvous with someone that she had met on a previous trip to that area, or she may have intended to visit her uncle.
-
We know that the Kennedy clan had connections to that area, and Simone's disappearance came only two years after the murder of Martha Moxley, so I'd be curious to know what Michael Skakel's alibi is for that weekend.

I tend to believe the old man's account. I suspect that Simone had plans that were unknown to most of her acquaintances. She may have intended to rendezvous with someone that she had met on a previous trip to that area, or she may have intended to visit her uncle.
-
We know that the Kennedy clan had connections to that area, and Simone's disappearance came only two years after the murder of Martha Moxley, so I'd be curious to know what Michael Skakel's alibi is for that weekend.

I'd totally forgotten about Martha Moxley's murder.
You're right, Simone could have had unknown plans, or possibly changed her plans at the last minute.

jgfitzge-I appreciate your insight into the area. I've only been to Mashpee, my friend used to live there, other than that, I have no clue at all about the Cape.

I'd totally forgotten about Martha Moxley's murder.
You're right, Simone could have had unknown plans, or possibly changed her plans at the last minute.

jgfitzge-I appreciate your insight into the area. I've only been to Mashpee, my friend used to live there, other than that, I have no clue at all about the Cape.

Thanks, I grew up in Massachusetts, I was about the same age as Simone when she went missing. Plus, the Cape was the place to go and party when you were young. And, Massachusetts lowered the drinking age in the late 70's to 18. Ozoner, sorry but we will have to agree to disagree on the "old man's story." Maybe I am a bit biased because I have a sharp memory but his actions and story just don't pass the smell test with me. OK, technically you could take a ferry from Hyannis to Martha's Vineyard. However, it costs more and I would say 90-95% of the time if you were going to MV you would be taking it from Falmouth or Woods Hole on the other end of the Cape. In addition, the Ferry Terminal in Hyannis is about 2 miles from where he supposedly dropped her off, near the rotary near the airport.

Thanks, I grew up in Massachusetts, I was about the same age as Simone when she went missing. Plus, the Cape was the place to go and party when you were young. And, Massachusetts lowered the drinking age in the late 70's to 18. Ozoner, sorry but we will have to agree to disagree on the "old man's story." Maybe I am a bit biased because I have a sharp memory but his actions and story just don't pass the smell test with me. OK, technically you could take a ferry from Hyannis to Martha's Vineyard. However, it costs more and I would say 90-95% of the time if you were going to MV you would be taking it from Falmouth or Woods Hole on the other end of the Cape. In addition, the Ferry Terminal in Hyannis is about 2 miles from where he supposedly dropped her off, near the rotary near the airport.
Are you assuming that Martha's Vineyard was her immediate destination? I'm not willing to make that assumption; I think that she could have had a rendezvous planned with someone first.

Are you assuming that Martha's Vineyard was her immediate destination? I'm not willing to make that assumption; I think that she could have had a rendezvous planned with someone first.

Or plans can change on a dime, too.

Im interested to know if LE searched her apt after she went missing and if there was a search party conducted of the area soon after(?) Im thinking no, but was the old mans car searched?

What ever happened to the detective?
Would love for him to return to this forum....new leads, ruleouts, ect.

What ever happened to the detective?
Would love for him to return to this forum....new leads, ruleouts, ect.

I am with you, I have private messaged him a couple times but no reply. Recently Marian Ryan, DA of middlesex county announced the creation of a cold case unit to look at all of the cold cases in the county. Sherborn and Natick are part of Middlesex county.

Was there any other hitchhiker incidents that occurred in that area or time frame?
Was there an extensive search?

Hi Sweet, oddly this area did not seem to have as many "hitchhiker gone missing or murdered" instances as other areas (ex. Pacific NW, California, etc.) that I can recall. Given the large student population and the coming of age of the baby boomers in the 70's you would think there would have been a lot more. In reading the newspaper accounts at the time, well, extensive search may be a relative term. It sounded like they did but with 20/20 hindsight it probably could have been better.

Hello jg...Yes, I agree with you on the search perspective. I would like to know if her apt was searched...clothes, money, purse present? Any signs of her going home first? I wish the elderly man's car was searched too :(

No recent postings from the detective.....had hope this case was back in the spotlight....

Ironically I go by the Sherborn police station on a bike route I sometimes do. I sent it to one of the podcasts but no bite. I will try a few more. The Facebook page hasn’t seen any activity in several years. There are a lot of unanswered questions. I think the old mans story is shaky. Back in the 70s and 80s I picked up my share of hitchhikers. I believe I would remember the one where a Statie passed off a girl to bring down the Cape and...unless something happened I would have told a family member. I still say he wanted to clear his conscience without accepting the consequences at this stage of his life.

Seems like this case , about a year to a year and a half ago, had some new life..thanks to the detective, but now, I can't seem to find any new articles or updates..

Ironically I go by the Sherborn police station on a bike route I sometimes do. I sent it to one of the podcasts but no bite. I will try a few more. The Facebook page hasn’t seen any activity in several years. There are a lot of unanswered questions. I think the old mans story is shaky. Back in the 70s and 80s I picked up my share of hitchhikers. I believe I would remember the one where a Statie passed off a girl to bring down the Cape and...unless something happened I would have told a family member. I still say he wanted to clear his conscience without accepting the consequences at this stage of his life.
I doubt your theory; it would be very unusual for a man that age to become a predator, and we know of no criminal history for him. It's possible he could have been covering for someone else (such as his son or another family member).
I think his conscience was bothering him because he didn't come forward sooner. Like many witnesses, he made a choice not to get involved, and that choice weighed on his mind over the years.

Ozoner......I pondered the same thing....that the old man may have been "fishing" to see what the police actually knew.
I would also like to know if her apartment and room mates were questioned/searched.

I guess I am making that assumption because Simone's sister in her interviews never mentions alternate plans or Simone visiting an uncle. All my life I have spent here in Massachusetts and summers down the Cape. When you are going to Chappaquiddick on Martha's Vineyard you would take the Ferry from Falmouth or Woods Hole (a village in Falmouth.) Also most of the ferry routes take you to Oak Bluffs or Vineyard Haven, a few direct to Edgartown. Chappaquidick is for all intents and purposes a small island with a thin sandbar connecting it to Edgartown. You take a small ferry from Edgartown to get to it. So, realistically, in most cases you drive or get to Woods Hole, take the ferry to Oak Bluffs, 10 minute bus or cab ride or hitch a ride to Edgartown, then take another ferry to Chappaquidick.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clancehan
Back