MA - Vanessa Marcotte, 27, murdered, Princeton, 7 Aug 2016 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
All the women I know who run use their keys for self defense. Vanessa lived in NY. Women who run there know about safety and self defense.

I don't know why it is so easily discounted that she may have had keys when the article says the attacker may have gouge marks. It's fine. I just wondered how "gouge marks" was arrived at by LE.

MOO

Yes, they went back and found something they put in a paper bag. It may have been a bloody stick, or maybe a pen. Self-defense instructors say run with some kind of object that can be used as a weapon, such as a pen, or keys

All the women I know who run use their keys for self defense. Vanessa lived in NY. Women who run there know about safety and self defense.

I don't know why it is so easily discounted that she may have had keys when the article says the attacker may have gouge marks. It's fine. I just wondered how "gouge marks" was arrived at by LE.

MOO

We're all speculating. If I had the opportunity to run without carrying keys, I would. But perhaps Vanessa preferred to carry keys in a "safe" town with her mom home to let her back in the house because she felt safer with keys. We don't know.

Whatever the case, LE got DNA from somewhere. Thank goodness for that.

Folks have been wondering why the attacker would have burned her feet. I hate even thinking this, but if she was still alive at the time, he might have done that so she could not run away. As a runner, she would have had a better than average chance to get away by running. :(

Has anyone heard anything about the POI they had and the DNA test they ran? I'm so surprised there hasn't been an update of any kind.

Folks have been wondering why the attacker would have burned her feet. I hate even thinking this, but if she was still alive at the time, he might have done that so she could not run away. As a runner, she would have had a better than average chance to get away by running. :(

This was my thought too, unfortunately. If she was burned postmortem, it could have been an attempt to just start fires at either end of her and hope the body would burn completely.

Has anyone heard anything about the POI they had and the DNA test they ran? I'm so surprised there hasn't been an update of any kind.

I keep checking for updates, but not seeing anything at all.

Yes, they went back and found something they put in a paper bag. It may have been a bloody stick, or maybe a pen. Self-defense instructors say run with some kind of object that can be used as a weapon, such as a pen, or keys

OT, but one can use a pen or sharp ended pencil and push as hard as you can into the assailant's ear canal. One way to stop them in their tracks. Permanently. jmo

OT, but one can use a pen or sharp ended pencil and push as hard as you can into the assailant's ear canal. One way to stop them in their tracks. Permanently. jmo

OMG - that pains me just to read it.

Good tip....may none of us ever need it.

MOO

On July 25 2013 Vanessa tweeted about a self defense class. I wonder if she went? I hope she did and I hope she really hurt this guy. I was looking at the Google satellite images and it was strange to me that she would be running on that road because the shoulder is very narrow. I'm not a runner but even I wouldn't walk that road because of that. It would be too easy to be hit by a car. On top of that she was wearing earbuds. That just makes it even more dangerous to jog on that road. I'm starting to think she was dumped there. ��

On July 25 2013 Vanessa tweeted about a self defense class. I wonder if she went? I hope she did and I hope she really hurt this guy. I was looking at the Google satellite images and it was strange to me that she would be running on that road because the shoulder is very narrow. I'm not a runner but even I wouldn't walk that road because of that. It would be too easy to be hit by a car. On top of that she was wearing earbuds. That just makes it even more dangerous to jog on that road. I'm starting to think she was dumped there. ��

Many of the roads around here are like that one. It doesn't surprise me too much that she was running on it. She was very familiar with running there too. Her MapMyRun account shows she ran that route whenever she was in the area.

Do we know she was listening to earbuds?

Plus I think they already know for certain that she was on the road. She left her mother's home on foot.

Just curious where you read she had earbuds. I'm not doubting you....I just don't recall that detail.

The shoulder looks narrow to me too (but such pretty road). I'm assuming she ran against traffic for safety reasons and I would think it was safe that way - unless a perp is there, of course.

jmo

Was she in fact wearing earbuds?

Could you point me to the article where that was reported?
Thanks!

To everyone asking, I swore I read that here on WS. Is that wrong? Was it the other girl in NY? Maybe I have the two confused, if so I am sorry.

So that app pinpoints your location as you are jogging? Could it do the same if you're in a car?

I looked at the road the same way. It does seem very narrow and unsafe to walk or run on.
I have been trying to decide whether she was killed or dumped in that location. I just do not know. I suspect if LE thought she was killed at a second location they might be asking the public more openly to report on vehicles parked in other locations. So far, the LE are concentrating on this area entirely. I keep thinking someone on a bicycle could have hidden and attacked her then made a smooth getaway. I am not convinced a vehicle could park there for any period of time without being noticed.
I also wonder if any locations would have security cameras or video of Vanessa or any traffic that was not normal for the town. I think we would have heard of this prior, but maybe not.

I hope that after the funeral LE will release some more information to help the public remember anything relevant or perhaps even announce a POI. Wishful thinking, I am afraid.

jmo

I just made my first post to Web Sleuth's on page 2. Can someone please confirm that it worked? I am freaked out about this. I literally drove down Brook Station Road with my kids at 2:40 on that day. It gives me chills that I was so close to something so horrible. I have racked my brain and talked to my kids about what they saw and we have come up with nothing. No Jogger, Struggle, or anything strange. Can't recall if their was a car in that area. If have friends and family in Princeton and we all love the outdoors. He needs to be caught soon.

I just made my first post to Web Sleuth's on page 2. Can someone please confirm that it worked? I am freaked out about this. I literally drove down Brook Station Road with my kids at 2:40 on that day. It gives me chills that I was so close to something so horrible. I have racked my brain and talked to my kids about what they saw and we have come up with nothing. No Jogger, Struggle, or anything strange. Can't recall if their was a car in that area. If have friends and family in Princeton and we all love the outdoors. He needs to be caught soon.

Yes, your posts are appearing.

Her mother lived on Brook Station Road, so I think it's been confirmed that she was running on this road. Nothing about her driving to another spot for her jog. The day it happened someone on Facebook said her phone last pinged at the mountain barn which is about 2 miles away, but I never heard anything about a phone after that or anything about earbuds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther