So he:
  • Was living there at the time
  • Has previously broken into houses to sexually asault women
  • Is a convicted paedophile
  • Received a 30 minute phone call an hour before she went missing
  • His phone pinged a cell tower near where she disappeared on the same night
  • Sold his car the next day
  • Fled the Country
  • Told somebody in a bar, on the 10th anniversary of her disappearance, he knew what happened
I mean, when you look at it like that, you can see why they might think he did it.
Not charged yet, that's a fact, but no apparent credible alibi or supporting witnesses to clearly negate involvement.

I’d those bags did contain fibre then it was a very quick find. I noticed it went into a German vehicle - so probably on its way to a lab somewhere. I thought it may have been soil samples. Looked like a big brown paper bag - which are sometimes used for soil samples
The size of those bags was awesome. I'm being lazy (and the dog wants to go for a walk) and using you as my search engine instead of looking it up for myself. Do you know offhand what soil samples will tell them on analysis? Dogs were used and some have a silent response so there might have been no barking (although we did hear dogs when they were used in Germany). Is it possible that dogs indicated and the soil has been removed to look for nutrients from human remains? Will they be able to do that?

If CB buried MM at the dam, he has had since 2013 when his cover was blown to cover his tracks.

Worse than that, he said the police were confident. What would he know about what the police think? a viewer sat at home might think. Clarke's entire raison d'etre is to convince us he's in constant contact with them.

Agreed.

I wouldn't trust anything unless it is corroborated in the majors.

Yes, but in my opinion, is not the same. HCW must give a proof. Maybe CB is awaiting for a charge to give an alibi for that charge.

Right. Especially because he is already in jail, there is simply no logic in making the first move without being confronted with the evidence.

"In fact, clothing is often the best source of evidence in a sexual assault case. Unlike the human body that continues to change as a result of biological needs and hygiene, crime scene evidence such as clothing is typically stable. Therefore, DNA evidence that is recovered from such a source is likely to be detectable for many years and perhaps even decades following a sexual assault."

The type of DNA they'll be hoping to find is semen.

The problem is this is material exposed to the elements for 16 years.

In the McStay case, the bodies were in a shallow grave for 4 years in the desert, and almost no meaningful DNA was found, because conditions had degraded any DNA to such an extent

Worse than that, he said the police were confident. What would he know about what the police think? a viewer sat at home might think. Clarke's entire raison d'etre is to convince us he's in constant contact with them.
As you say, how is it possible to determine what someone else is thinking? So until there is evidence it really is all just speculation and remains so until the evidence is proven.

Yes, but in my opinion, is not the same. HCW must give a proof. Maybe CB is awaiting for a charge to give an alibi for that charge.
Yes, HCW must give a proof. A credible proof...
What I really doubt is the ability of CB to give, at least, a reasonable alibi. He and FF, if cooperating (another doubt...), may need to fabricate one...let's see, hope BKA is able to solve this mystery.

At the time he wouldnt have realized it was the most famous trophy. He would have seen all the news reports, however, and then panicked. The last thing on his mind would have been trophy keeping.

You're right about panic. It's important to frame any "what-ifs" and decisions that he may have made with that panic in mind. Even the most remorseless, heinous killers will shake like a leaf after the crime. In other words, he may not have put a great deal of thought into where he buried or dumped the evidence. It's very possible that he just went into auto mode and stuck to the place he knew.

In the McStay case, the bodies were in a shallow grave for 4 years in the desert, and almost no meaningful DNA was found, because conditions had degraded any DNA to such an extent

And yet they are digging and diving with apparent confidence.

I rather suspect they have a particular aim firmly in their sights.

Yes, HCW must give a proof. A credible proof...
What I really doubt is the ability of CB to give, at least, a reasonable alibi. He and FF, if cooperating (another doubt...), may need to fabricate one...let's see, hope BKA is able to solve this mystery.
I don't think it is HCW's job to give proof. He can't anyway. That is the job of the court. HCW can only present evidence

And yet they are digging and diving with apparent confidence.

I rather suspect they have a particular aim firmly in their sights.
I agree with you on that. They seem to be very focused in the areas they are searching and the equipment used. They seem to know where to search and what they expect to find. Let's hope the tip off was a serious one

If they find though garments belonging to MM in a site frequented by CB, and with witnesses placing him there a few days after MM went missing, it would be quite strong circumstantial evidence to link CB to MM's fate jmo

As you say, how is it possible to determine what someone else is thinking? So until there is evidence it really is all just speculation and remains so until the evidence is proven.
he actually implied he had been told something. IMO not very professional for a journalist

I’d those bags did contain fibre then it was a very quick find. I noticed it went into a German vehicle - so probably on its way to a lab somewhere. I thought it may have been soil samples. Looked like a big brown paper bag - which are sometimes used for soil samples
I believe the brown bags were soil samples. It was reported on Portuguese TV.

The search was called off early on the first day at around 6 p.m. due to bad weather. So far, soil samples have primarily been collected for later analysis, the state TV broadcaster RTP and the state news agency Lusa in Portugal reported on Wednesday, citing participants in the campaign.

I don't think it is HCW's job to give proof. He can't anyway. That is the job of the court. HCW can only present evidence
But you understand what I said :)

Reactions: Mex
he actually implied he had been told something. IMO not very professional for a journalist
He's not the only one who has suggested something along those lines mind. In the Telegraph they are quoting a Portuguese source saying something similar:

The search was expected to move into its third day as the Portuguese source insisted German officers had drawn up a detailed map of key locations, some still untouched. The source added that the site could be linked to other crimes the prolific sex offender has committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zerofoxgiven