Malaysia airlines plane may have crashed 239 people on board #21

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the news that it flew around Indo airspace (to avoid detection) it is nearly confirmation that it was deliberate. Have they confirmed that only the copilot was speaking to ATC? I remember reading that they were going to do voice studies.

The new calculations based on the plane flying around Indo airspace put the crash zone approximately where the Chinese were searching when they detected pings. After they found pings they released the news to the media and that is how the rest of the searchers found out. They knew a more accurate search area and did not share that information. they truly are working alone, taking the freely shared information from the other searchers and not returning the favour. So much for a united effort.

Sorry, I don't understand - who is working alone? Are you talking about the Chinese?

Oh wait ok I think I see now - so you're saying that the Chinese had calculated a new search area on their own (I guess doing their own calculations using existing data), and they didn't tell anyone else. They just sent their own ship there.

I see. Yes, I think it certainly is strange that there was one lone Chinese ship exactly where the pings and thus possibly crash site is.

That rope doesn't look very strong. How long til they have to send out a "pinger locator locator"?

It's probably steel cable or steel wire rope..

BBM :waitasec:
The ship is towing a Towed Pinger Locator which can locate a signal to a max. depth of 20,000ft

HOW THE BLACK BOX SIGNAL WORKS UNDERWATER
If a plane crashes into the water, an underwater locator beacon sends out an ultrasonic pulse that cannot be heard by human ears but can be detected by sonar and acoustic-locating equipment.
There is a submergence sensor on the side of the beacon, and when this sensor touches water the beacon activates.
The beacon then sends out pulses at 37.5 kilohertz (kHz) and can transmit sound as deep as 14,000 feet (4267m).
Once the beacon begins “pinging,” it pings once per second for 30 days. In rare and severe crash instances, the beacon may get snapped off during a high-impact collision.
Search teams must be about 25km in range of the beacon to locate it. Underwater terrain such as deep trenches could also affect how easily the beacon’s signal can be detected.

http://www.news.com.au/technology/s...ines-plane-mh370/story-e6frfrnr-1226858864825

Thanks!

This is the same info the President, Mr Patel, of Dukane Seacom, the manufacturer of the underwater locator beacon, has been saying as well.
He also said that the temperature of the ocean will also have an influence on the pinger being heard..iirc, the sound travels further in cold water and also the topography of the ocean floor has plays a role..

That rope doesn't look very strong. How long til they have to send out a "pinger locator locator"?

“We can hear the black box pinger down to a depth of about 20,000 feet,” said Cmdr. Chris Budde, U.S. 7th Fleet operations officer, in the release. “Basically this super-sensitive hydrophone gets towed behind a commercial vessel very slowly and listens for black box pings.”

The locator system —which weighs 70 pounds and is 30 inches long — will transmit an acoustic signal up its attached cable where a computer records its audible broadcast. There an operator will record navigation coordinates of each transmission. This will be repeated multiple times until a position is finally triangulated.

2utkt1g.jpg

http://www.stripes.com/news/navy-black-box-locator-to-aid-in-search-for-missing-jetliner-1.274192

Sorry, I don't understand - who is working alone? Are you talking about the Chinese?

Oh wait ok I think I see now - so you're saying that the Chinese had calculated a new search area on their own (I guess doing their own calculations using existing data), and they didn't tell anyone else. They just sent their own ship there.

I see. Yes, I think it certainly is strange that there was one lone Chinese ship exactly where the pings and thus possibly crash site is.

I don't think it's strange that China is doing their own searches.
I mean, more than half of the plane's passengers were Chinese.
Since Malaysia isn't doing the greatest job at helping figure out what happened, I'm not surprised they (China) are doing separate searches.

Sound waves travel in the water. It does not mean they are on the crash site. It could be anywhere in that area or even miles away from their site. I would think the stronger the signal the closer to the site they would be. But it's a start. jmo

I don't think it's strange that China is doing their own searches.
I mean, more than half of the plane's passengers were Chinese.
Since Malaysia isn't doing the greatest job at helping figure out what happened, I'm not surprised they (China) are doing separate searches.

Yes, but isn't it supposed to be a transparent, coordinated effort and sharing of knowledge. Especially the Australians who are footing this bill.

They must have translators. Why didn't they notify the Aussies of the pings?

Yes, but isn't it supposed to be a transparent, coordinated effort and sharing of knowledge. Especially the Australians who are footing this bill.

They must have translators. Why didn't they notify the Aussies of the pings?

Maybe China doesn't want to share what they know (for whatever reason)? Or maybe they have, and it just hasn't been reported yet.
:dunno:

I understood from the last press conference with Angus Houston, he indicated that China is fully cooperating and is part of the team of searchers. He didn't seem to indicate that China was rogue in the search.

"As the authorities searching for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 raced to investigate a series of potential black box 'pings' in the Indian Ocean, a senior official has reportedly claimed that the plan was "steered" around Indonesian airspace.

A senior Malaysian government source reportedly said the Boeing 777 curved north of Indonesia after it dropped of Malaysian military radar, according to further analysis of tracking data from neighbouring countries.

It apparently avoided Indonesia and its airspace altogether before turning again towards the southern Indian Ocean. The source told CNN such a route may have been taken intentionally in order to avoid radar detection."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-pings-in-search-for-missing-jet-9241669.html

April 7, 2014

China has "by far the largest" fleet in the search for plane, with seven vessels involved, Air Marshal Houston (ret.) said, adding he was "very satisfied" with the level of consultation with Chinese counterparts.

However, he said Australian Authorities were considering the addition of a Chinese liaison officer within the Australian rescue base.

“China’s sharing everything that is relevant to this search – everything,” he said.

“I think we should be focusing on the positives and not start saying are they doing this or are they doing that.”

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/world/missing...ouston-says-20140406-366ep.html#ixzz2y9JX8c5g

I don't understand why Indonesia doesn't have radar in the curve around it. I was looking at the supposed path the other night where the plane was thought to have cut across the tip of Indonesia.

Ahh. Of course. Thank you. Doh.
Do you happen to know if an activated ping is an actual acoustic event detectable by the human ear? Or only detectable by the instrument known as a locator?

It wouldn't be in the freq. range of human hearing, so no. The freq. it pings at is not in the naturally occurring frequency ranges.

Generally speaking and as far as discussion here yes a towed locator or similar is needed.

todays search
Joint Agency Coordination Centre

Media Release
7 April 2014—am

Up to nine military planes, three civil planes and 14 ships will assist in today's search for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370.

The search area is expected to be approximately 234,000 square kilometres.

Good weather is expected throughout the day with showers in the afternoon although this is not expected to affect the search.

ADV Ocean Shield is continuing investigations in its own area.

HMS Echo is en route to assist the Chinese vessel Haixun 01, which detected pulse signals in the Indian Ocean.

http://www.jacc.gov.au/media/releases/2014/april/mr012.aspx

"As the authorities searching for missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 raced to investigate a series of potential black box 'pings' in the Indian Ocean, a senior official has reportedly claimed that the plan was "steered" around Indonesian airspace.

A senior Malaysian government source reportedly said the Boeing 777 curved north of Indonesia after it dropped of Malaysian military radar, according to further analysis of tracking data from neighbouring countries.

It apparently avoided Indonesia and its airspace altogether before turning again towards the southern Indian Ocean. The source told CNN such a route may have been taken intentionally in order to avoid radar detection."

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-pings-in-search-for-missing-jet-9241669.html
This information appears to rule out the plane being on autopilot and continuing to fly until it was out of fuel. Would there be any logical reason for this flight path if not to avoid radar detection? And with this in mind, WHO was flying the plane? I cannot fathom both pilot and co-pilot acting in unison, therefore, one or both of them would have to be "disabled".

MOO

Is the gentleman on the simulator on CNN a pilot (not Savidge)? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members