Matt Lauer fired by NBC, accused of "inappropriate sexual behavior"

I hope NBC Nightly News' Lester Holt is safe.

Not thinking of Lester Holt specifically, but I can imagine dozens (hundreds??) of men in powerful, visible positions in media and elsewhere performing a "personal inventory" in regards to their past behavior(s). I can also imagine many shaking in their boots. I wonder if this will cause a deluge of pre-emptive confessions and "I have sinned" type statements?

Ann Curry was great, what a shaft. That is actually when I knew morning TV was screwed.

As with Hollywood and the business world, it's a good thing that all this is coming out. Maybe it will allow better quality, more talented people to rise to the top. It seems like people have been working in such toxic environments for so long that it has to affect the quality of work and production.

Not thinking of Lester Holt specifically, but I can imagine dozens (hundreds??) of men in powerful, visible positions in media and elsewhere performing a "personal inventory" in regards to their past behavior(s). I can also imagine many shaking in their boots. I wonder if this will cause a deluge of pre-emptive confessions and "I have sinned" type statements?

No, I don't think so because as much as there is a spotlight shining on abuse of power, I do believe, and by my experience in the corporate world, there are many good men.

I really hope a spotlight shines on the great men, as well, who were mentors in their field. The ones who honestly wanted to see greatness in their profession. I say this because I knew a woman who was a Vietnam correspondent for the NYT. But so much more than that she was a connection to her vets. She never let them go.

The women are out there. They always have been. And it is time to honor them.

Morning show hosts come and go. Bring back Ann Curry. Because you messed up. Not just because of personality differences, but because you let go of a seriously great broadcaster and host...

Mmmm, mmmm, mmmm...

Frankly, I find it quite difficult to believe that this is the first complaint of this nature against Lauer that NBC received!

Nonsense!

The rumors about his activities have been out there for several years.

Ana Navarro
@ananavarro

Matt Lauer lost his job.
Charlie Rose lost his job.
Mark Halperin lost his job.
Glenn Thrush lost his job.
Billy Bush lost his job.
Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
Kevin Spacey lost his job.
But in politics...
Conyers still in Congress.
Moore still running.
Trump still President.

---
Just what is out there in the press... From a republican outspoken woman. Kinda makes me wonder, too... Hope congress makes some headway on this issue, too...

DH and I have not had cable tv for over 10 years now (do not miss it!) so I am not familiar with Lauer. From what I am reading about him though, he sounds like a narcissist, one of those who wonders why women do not like him when he does not like women, even though he thinks he is God's gift to women.

Had to work with someone like that once. Oh, and he was separated from his wife, too.

IF my darling David Muir is ever accused or found guilty of acts like this, I am throwing out my tv after hurling a skillet at the screen.

Ana Navarro
@ananavarro

Matt Lauer lost his job.
Charlie Rose lost his job.
Mark Halperin lost his job.
Glenn Thrush lost his job.
Billy Bush lost his job.
Harvey Weinstein lost his job.
Kevin Spacey lost his job.
But in politics...
Conyers still in Congress.
Moore still running.
Trump still President.

---
Just what is out there in the press... From a republican outspoken woman. Kinda makes me wonder, too... Hope congress makes some headway on this issue, too...

They're elected officials. Who could or would fire them?

Frankly, I find it quite difficult to believe that this is the first complaint of this nature against Lauer that NBC received!

Nonsense!

It’s probably just the first one that could be proven...

This is what's called "draining the swamp".

I wonder what exactly "sexually assaulted" means. To me, it's forced sexual contact, but in today's world it could be anything.

A friend and I were discussing this this morning. We woman need to define the parameters. What exactly will constitute sexual misconduct going forward?

We women have had to be adaptive in the past. Men were allowed this misconduct and we woman just had to accept it because we had no recourse.

To me there are different degrees of sexual misconduct. Rape is obvious. Passing by a man who reaches out and gropes you is obvious.

But now we have the dating/mating game in the workplace that is in question. How does a guy who is interested in a gal let her know of his feelings without her feeling uncomfortable and unsafe?

There is a lot of work to do here, a lot of defining that has to be worked out. IMO

I wonder what exactly "sexually assaulted" means. To me, it's forced sexual contact, but in today's world it could be anything.

Me too, I'm curious too as to what kind of 'sexual assault' , or what that means. Forced and improper.
I'm a little surprised tho, because I always see ML dressing up like a woman every chance he gets, and now hearing this, confusing.....jmo

It’s probably just the first one that could be proven...

Could be. My first thought this morning when I saw the breaking news was how NBC had rejected publishing Ronan Farrow's investigative report on Harvey Weinstein so I am hesitant to believe NBC had never received any other reports about Lauer's behavior.

Sexual assault is a sexual act in which a person is coerced or physically forced to engage against their will, or non-consensual sexual touching of a person. Sexual assault is a form of sexual violence, and it includes (various forms of) rape, groping, child sexual abuse, or the torture of the person in a sexual manner.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sexual_assault

Yes, to me it involves sexual contact without my consent. Touch whether by body, hand or object on an intimate body part.

I'm not sure, but I think laws may vary by states.

I don't think exposure of genitals is viewed as sexual assault, but Damn it should be. My first of countless experiences with that was prob as young as age 5 bouncing my spaldeen, playing hopscotch or jumping rope as a little girl in front of my home (I live in a major metro area.) calling to me for "directions," or as I attempted to cross a street the vehicle would slowly creep up so I could see the masturbation as I was deciding whether I should cross or not.

Matt Lauer Accused of Sexual Harassment by Multiple Women (EXCLUSIVE)

<snip> As the co-host of NBC&#8217;s &#8220;Today,&#8221; Matt Lauer once gave a colleague a sex toy as a present. It included an explicit note about how he wanted to use it on her, which left her mortified.

On another day, he summoned a different female employee to his office, and then dropped his pants, showing her his penis. After the employee declined to do anything, visibly shaken, he reprimanded her for not engaging in a sexual act.

http://variety.com/2017/biz/news/matt-lauer-accused-sexual-harassment-multiple-women-1202625959/

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BBrown
Back