May Day Boycott Effects??

We have an insurgent of Mexicans here for construction. I did not notice any boycotting. I think they felt it more important to earn a days pay for their families and were also fearful of being caught as an illegal.

So, as far as North west FL, it was business as usual. Seems the teachers I spoke to felt it was just a typical day.

The freeways in my area 1-10 & 15 all had the same amount of traffic today.

The trash truck ran as usual, the yard guys showed up as usual and so forth.

A lot of people I know that are supporting the Immigration Issue were going after work today and they're not Hispanics, but came from Immigrant parents from other countries.

I passed by a Mexican Restaurant here that was closed today. On the front door was a small sign:

Closed today
Do to short staff

Marthatex said:
I passed by a Mexican Restaurant here that was closed today. On the front door was a small sign:

Closed today
Do to short staff
LOL "Do" instead of "due".

I wonder if the boycott was later than expected because it was communicated that it was going to happen in English across the media.
Many don't understand English...

I didn't see any effects of the Boycott here in Michigan, but then we tend not to have too many immigrants in my area. Just Canadians. :blowkiss:

Here in my liberal college town, there was a rally (protest) in the downtown area at noontime. Of course, it made the front page of our liberal newspaper (even though there probably wasn't even 100 people participating in the rally). Other than that, it was pleasant and noticeably less congested IOW, a great day to be shopping! :)

So we can surmise that there was little or no economic effect, and traffic was lighter in some areas.

Yep. I say let them boycott more often.

Details said:
Economic impact of yesterday's boycott? Zero: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12599439/site/newsweek/We don't need them that badly - and they do cost us money - $1200 per household in California!

In my small world today they all showed up for work. I think they realized this is the last of the money on this project.They will be replaced by new crews next week after the bid is awarded.Some glaring but not significant.

When the new crews start it will be getting rid of rats at the back of the property and trash that is beyond what you could imagine.

In all this was a flat affect. I haven't talked with a living soul who would arbitrarily give some one a taxfree existence when all of us do the right thing.Sending money home to Mexico....well what about where you earn it? This isn't a total giveaway.Being absolutely totally benevalent at my age is not going to happen. Pay your dues, earn it the American way and pay your respect.

By John Simerman

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Posted on Tue, May. 02, 2006

Tens of thousands of mostly Latino protesters skipped work and school and tried not to shop on Monday as they gathered at peaceful rallies and marches across the Bay Area, part of a nationwide flex of political and economic sinew against proposed federal measures targeting illegal immigrants.

The biggest Bay Area march, down Market Street in San Francisco, drew a crowd that shopkeepers along the common protest route said was larger than the best-attended anti-war marches in recent years.

Police refused to estimate how many protesters packed five long city blocks and several side streets in a festive sea of white shirts and flags, letting loose bullhorn-inspired roars that rose in waves.

more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/email/news/14479234.htm

This was a front page story up here today, so yes it did have a major impact, including the mexican restaurant we planned to have dinner at yesterday evening, oh well... More power to them!

Some close for the day as others give workers time off, but economic impact of East Bay marches hard to gauge

By Blanca Torres

CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Posted on Tue, May. 02, 2006

Thomas Raeth usually sits in an office while running his landscaping business, but found himself blowing leaves on a client's yard Monday morning.

Two of Raeth's three employees asked for the day off to participate in a nationwide boycott to demonstrate the economic force of the nation's immigrants.

"I was on the end of a leaf blower taking care of what one of my workers would've been doing," said Raeth, owner of Lafayette Tree and Landscape Inc. "You still have to take care of business. ... Today in support, I said, 'I'll show up and cover.'"

more at link:http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/business/14479231.htm

I think it impacted a handful of industries and areas. But any jolt to the economy will immediately correct itself. So, IMO it was hardly worthwhile. Actually, I listened to a couple restaurant owners who came to realize they ran just fine without their illegals yesterday and got rid of them.

It certainly got a number of people more worried and excited than was probably warranted. IMO

I think they made their point in the areas such as Southern California where their absence was felt.

windovervocalcords said:
It certainly got a number of people more worried and excited than was probably warranted. IMO

I think they made their point in the areas such as Southern California where their absence was felt.
IMO,the impact was really minimal her in the OC. Down here in my area, SJC and Dana POint, it wasn't even noticeable. Here is a great article that goes city by city in the OC.

Tuesday, May 2, 2006
Boycott participation mixed across O.C.

Most of the county's 89,000 companies were open for business Monday, even as some immigrants and their supporters skipped work as part of a nationwide boycott aimed at showing their economic clout.

Industries that rely on immigrant workers were affected, though the impact was not uniform.

While the economic effect of the day's events is difficult to gauge, here is a sampling of what happened.

http://www.ocregister.com/ocregister/news/homepage/article_1125625.php

JBean said:
I think it impacted a handful of industries and areas. But any jolt to the economy will immediately correct itself. So, IMO it was hardly worthwhile. Actually, I listened to a couple restaurant owners who came to realize they ran just fine without their illegals yesterday and got rid of them.

Tyson Foods Inc., the world's largest meat producer, shut five of nine beef plants and four of six pork plants in anticipation of widespread absences. Perdue Farms Inc., the nation's third-largest chicken producer, closed eight processing plants in seven states. Cargill Meat Solutions, the nation's second-largest beef processor, gave more than 15,000 workers the day off and closed plants in six states.

Gold Kist, another poultry producer, shuttered two North Carolina plants and operated its two Georgia facilities at reduced productivity after many employees failed to heed requests by the company's managers and CEO to show up despite the protests.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060501/ap_on_bi_ge/immigration_business_3

I wouldn't classify this as a handful.

LinasK said:
Tyson Foods Inc., the world's largest meat producer, shut five of nine beef plants and four of six pork plants in anticipation of widespread absences. Perdue Farms Inc., the nation's third-largest chicken producer, closed eight processing plants in seven states. Cargill Meat Solutions, the nation's second-largest beef processor, gave more than 15,000 workers the day off and closed plants in six states.

Gold Kist, another poultry producer, shuttered two North Carolina plants and operated its two Georgia facilities at reduced productivity after many employees failed to heed requests by the company's managers and CEO to show up despite the protests.http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060501/ap_on_bi_ge/immigration_business_3

I wouldn't classify this as a handful.
You're right, this could be classified as just one industry, meat processing. But you could classify chicken, pork and chicken as 3 differnt industries and then it would be a handful.

JBean said:
You're right, this could be classified as just one industry, meat processing. But you could classify chicken, pork and chicken as 3 differnt industries and then it would be a handful.
Just add some spam to my order of freedom fries with salsa.

windovervocalcords said:
Just add some spam to my order of freedom fries with salsa.
lol ..is that for here or to go?

windovervocalcords said:
that is definitely to go doncha think? Let's blow this pop stand!
right on sister!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LitWiz
Back