MD MD - Bishop Family murders, Bethesda, 1 March 1976

DNA test confirms NC woman is Bradford Bishop's daughter

published Nov 25, 2021- WBIR

This is the printed news article that goes with the video I posted above. For reasons I don't understand either WBIR or Youtube has pulled the video. (more at link)

DNA Test Confirms What NC Woman Suspected: She's Daughter Of Infamous Mass Murderer

published November 25, 2021 by WBIR

"Without a doubt, Kathy Gillcrist's father is a mass murderer.

She suspected for several years she was the illegitimate daughter of William Bradford Bishop and wrote a book about it, "It's In My Genes," in 2020. WBIR featured Gillcrist's story, "The Mass Murderer's Daughter," in February.

But it wasn't formally and scientifically confirmed until this summer, when the FBI collected some of her DNA and compared it to crime scene evidence.

A special agent from headquarters called her with confirmation: She was indeed a genetic match to the diplomat who in March 1976 bludgeoned his three sons, wife and mother in their suburban Washington, D.C. home and disappeared into oblivion.

To this day, the fugitive Foreign Service officer and Yale University graduate is a wanted man, even though he'd be in his 80s if he's still alive."

DNA test confirms NC woman is kin to infamous mass murderer | wbir.com
75e45435-e3b4-48cf-bd7b-6d9bcb78abe4_16x9.jpg
75e45435-e3b4-48cf-bd7b-6d9bcb78abe4_1140x641.jpg

Credit: Submitted
Mass murderer and fugitive William Bradford Bishop Jr. and Kathy Gillcrist, thought to be his biological child.

This is the printed news article that goes with the video I posted above. For reasons I don't understand either WBIR or Youtube has pulled the video. (more at link)

DNA Test Confirms What NC Woman Suspected: She's Daughter Of Infamous Mass Murderer

published November 25, 2021 by WBIR

"Without a doubt, Kathy Gillcrist's father is a mass murderer.

She suspected for several years she was the illegitimate daughter of William Bradford Bishop and wrote a book about it, "It's In My Genes," in 2020. WBIR featured Gillcrist's story, "The Mass Murderer's Daughter," in February.

But it wasn't formally and scientifically confirmed until this summer, when the FBI collected some of her DNA and compared it to crime scene evidence.

A special agent from headquarters called her with confirmation: She was indeed a genetic match to the diplomat who in March 1976 bludgeoned his three sons, wife and mother in their suburban Washington, D.C. home and disappeared into oblivion.

To this day, the fugitive Foreign Service officer and Yale University graduate is a wanted man, even though he'd be in his 80s if he's still alive."

Thanks! That's a good article. Interesting that Brad Bishop's cousin, who knew him rather well, said he was the definition of a narcissist.

He might have defected not to Russia but perhaps to another Eastern Bloc country like Yugoslavia (he was fluent in Serbo-Croatian). Tito who ran Yugoslavia during the Cold War was more "progressive" than say other Warshaw Pact nations. Remember that this was during the Cold War. His language skills, ability to make navigate the embassies and knowledge of Western (U.S.) Intelligence due to his high-level security clearance would have made him valuable to the East. Brad Bishop was the only child so after he murdered his family, he had no other ties in the U.S. Although, the sightings have been in Western Europe. Another theory is that he killed himself with the .38 his father gave him (which has never been recovered).

I'm only just now getting this case on my radar. In the back of my mind, I must have been aware of it in 1976, since I lived in the DC area. Strangely, I swear I actually met this guy before then: BB's seeming really familiar, and our personal circumstances could easily have overlapped somewhere. Weird.

Interesting that he's fluent in Serbo-Croatian. He could, actually, have fled to Yugoslavia and blended easily. I went through Yugoslavia on a train a couple of years earlier, and it was a forbidding place, terrifying. I got there via Trieste in Italy. He could so easily have done the exact same route.

His Italian skills evidently also got him the Addis post (and from there to other African posts): Somalia would have been another place to flee with Italian skill. Or else he could have gone somewhere Italian but obscure-ish at that time: Sardinia or even among the mafiosi in Sicily.

With fluent Spanish, he could have easily buried himself in South or Central America, along with all the ex-Nazis and others who managed to secrete themselves there over the years. In those days down there, you'd see occasional blonde and blue-eyed kids show up in your universe, and you could guess their parentage, and no one would be paying attention. (When I was 10 and lived down there, I innocently introduced myself in German to a blonde-haired, blue-eyed kid at school, although she didn't speak any German lol: I'll bet her parents did.) Anyway, with the strange cast of characters and hucksters (many Americans in these categories) in some of those places, it would have been easy to hide out.

I wonder how much money BB had access to? DOS paid very little, and with 3-4 kids, likely little savings.

BB got sidelined early from the DOS (his last post is :rolleyes:), and that would likely say something about an inability to "fit in" or otherwise rubbing people the wrong way.

I'm only just now getting this case on my radar. In the back of my mind, I must have been aware of it in 1976, since I lived in the DC area. Strangely, I swear I actually met this guy before then: BB's seeming really familiar, and our personal circumstances could easily have overlapped somewhere. Weird.

Interesting that he's fluent in Serbo-Croatian. He could, actually, have fled to Yugoslavia and blended easily. I went through Yugoslavia on a train a couple of years earlier, and it was a forbidding place, terrifying. I got there via Trieste in Italy. He could so easily have done the exact same route.

His Italian skills evidently also got him the Addis post (and from there to other African posts): Somalia would have been another place to flee with Italian skill. Or else he could have gone somewhere Italian but obscure-ish at that time: Sardinia or even among the mafiosi in Sicily.

With fluent Spanish, he could have easily buried himself in South or Central America, along with all the ex-Nazis and others who managed to secrete themselves there over the years. In those days down there, you'd see occasional blonde and blue-eyed kids show up in your universe, and you could guess their parentage, and no one would be paying attention. (When I was 10 and lived down there, I innocently introduced myself in German to a blonde-haired, blue-eyed kid at school, although she didn't speak any German lol: I'll bet her parents did.) Anyway, with the strange cast of characters and hucksters (many Americans in these categories) in some of those places, it would have been easy to hide out.

I wonder how much money BB had access to? DOS paid very little, and with 3-4 kids, likely little savings.

BB got sidelined early from the DOS (his last post is :rolleyes:), and that would likely say something about an inability to "fit in" or otherwise rubbing people the wrong way.

Agree, I doubt he had access to very much money. He probably had a modest amount of savings, but not enough to live on for an extended period of time. He would have needed to find some kind of work.

It also seems possible he hiked far into the woods near where his car was found and committed suicide. He seemed to be having a major psych break when he killed his family and went on that road trip to hide their bodies. He didn't even do that very well. JMO, he was falling apart and took the last leg of his trip so he could hide and kill himself, while leaving the impression that he disappeared.

Another detail I don't see mentioned: BB would have had a diplomatic passport. In those days, there wasn't much scrutiny if you had a diplomatic passport and were going abroad. You didn't go through customs, except in the US; you didn't need visas (IIRC I didn't have one to get into Yugoslavia---actually, it didn't occur to me to get one); you'd pretty much wave it and get ushered through checkpoints. Groovy! BB would have been long gone abroad by the time they found the bodies: could have crossed multiple borders.

Aha! I can confirm visas were rare in diplomatic passports. Even if BB had them required for an occasional African country, he would have had them in his passport, and since he'd been there for the embassies, they would not have been tourist visas. So, yeah, with a current diplomatic passport (which I presume), BB could have been fluidly entering and exiting countries without any scrutiny. My impression is, it's tighter now, but still very deferential (heck, diplomats have to have alcohol, even if it's a country where it's banned, lol; no duty, no inspection)

''Dec 2, 2021 Appalachian Unsolved
In March 1976, William Bradford Bishop Jr. killed his family in their Maryland home, fled the state and ditched their bodies and the family station wagon in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Kathy Gillcrist suspected for several years she was his illegitimate daughter, but it wasn't formally and scientifically confirmed until this summer when the FBI collected some of her DNA and compared it to crime scene evidence.''

Reading back in this thread, the DNA from the John Doe in Alabama was compared to a cigarette butt found near the bodies, and this excluded Mr. Bishop from being that John Doe.

I am wondering if the John Doe DNA has been run against that of Kathy Gillcrist?

What a heinous case. The evidence given re: WBB killing his family in 1976 appears very definite. I.e., blood in the house, blood in his car in the area where the bodies were burned; evidence that he had bought gasoline, etc. on the day the family disappeared; and the fact that WBB himself vanished after the crime occurred. It was obviously a lot easier to "disappear" in the '70's-'80's/'90's than it would be today.

I discount the "alleged" sighting of WBB that his former co-worker RH mentioned. I.e., he stated that in 1978, he saw WBB looking like a homeless vagrant (beard, unkempt & dirty clothes, etc.) in a bathroom in Italy - while he was there on vacation. And, when confronted, the vagrant ran away in fear. Ridiculous. I.e., how would RH have recognized WBB with a dirty beard/clothes & unkempt appearance, etc. - especially if he had never seen him look that way before?!

If this incident even took place, I think RH saw someone who may have slightly resembled WBB - but wasn't him. And, if RH did actually confront the vagrant, he was possibly bothered that this stranger was acting like he knew him - and ran away as a result. Or, maybe the vagrant was drunk/on drugs/had mental issues - which would explain his strange behavior.

I doubt that WBB is still alive at this point. If so, he would be pushing 90. And, I suspect that a life "on the run" (unless he settled down someplace) would have taken a toll on him over the years.

1412872062906_wps_26_image002_png.jpg
1412872068799_wps_27_image001_png.jpg

From an article dated 9 October 2014: The FBI is exhuming the body of a John Doe buried in Scottsboro, Alabama (right) because they believe it could be William Bradford Bishop (left) who is accused of killing his family in 1976.

LINK:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname
Back