MD - Forbes “30 Under 30” CEO Pava LaPere, 26, found with blunt-force trauma, Baltimore, 25 September 2023

Thanks!

I hope these victims will be able to recover, not sure how tbh. They must be relieved he has been arrested. What a dangerous, manipulative predator. Gives a sense of how he may have approached Pava with a story.

I hope her cat is in caring hands.

Female neighbor who lives in the same building as Pava said the perp returned to the building on Sunday, days after Pava was murdered but before she was discovered. He asked her to let him in the building, she stalled, and he left rather than follow her in.

Last edited:
Female neighbor who lives in the same building as Pava said the perp returned to the building on Sunday night, days after Pava was murdered. He asked her to let him in the building, she stalled, and he left rather than following her in.

The video at the link also shows what the roof is like. It is not a place to spend time, not accessible by elevator but is open to ladder-like stairs.

I'm wondering if the perp cased the place before committing this crime and had a plan to bring a victim there? idk

jmo

Some higher end apartment buildings in large cities feature roof top amenities with grills, shuffle board, netted badmitten, wading pools, shade etc. T
True, many have roof decks, but, this one did not. You can see the roof on Google, was linked upthread, only HVACs. Per DM article, also linked earlier, it was accessible only by a ladder or fire escape. Video just above, re: his return to the building 2 nights after the murder has photos and video of both the building and the roof.

Last edited:
The video at the link also shows what the roof is like. It is not a place to spend time, not accessible by elevator but is open to ladder-like stairs.

I'm wondering if the perp cased the place before committing this crime and had a plan to bring a victim there? idk

jmo
If they went directly to the roof it would explain why neighbors on her floor heard nothing...he did not have a smooth, effective "story" on Sunday per the neighbor. I thought that "return to the scene of the crime" was in movies only...jmoo.

Last edited:
If they went directly to the roof it would explain why neighbors on her floor heard nothing...he did not have a smooth, effective "story" on Sunday per the neighbor. I thought that "return to the scene of the crime" was in movies only...
I wonder why on earth he’d go back? For what reason?
It’s even more upsetting knowing she was left there from Friday night till Monday morning. Her badly beaten body just lying on that roof whilst the world just carries on as normal around her.
I feel so sad for her parents

If they went directly to the roof it would explain why neighbors on her floor heard nothing...he did not have a smooth, effective "story" on Sunday per the neighbor. I thought that "return to the scene of the crime" was in movies only...jmoo.
I don't know if he wanted to look at his deeds or if the woman at the door (who didn't let him in on Sunday) was a potential next victim. Or, both. It really it a horror story.

jmo

Was thinking he wanted to retrieve something, they identified him pretty fast.

Jmo
Could be!

But LE also knew who committed the rape and arson at the nearby building. And he might have been more persistent with the neighbor on Sunday to let him in, rather than walk away, if he really needed something other than to admire his work or find a new victim.
jmo

I wonder why on earth he’d go back? For what reason?
It’s even more upsetting knowing she was left there from Friday night till Monday morning. Her badly beaten body just lying on that roof whilst the world just carries on as normal around her.
I feel so sad for her parents
Maybe to remove evidence? JMOO. I can't imagine people from her company want to be working in that building. There were already a dozen apartments listed, that number is sure to increase. Very sad. Glad the woman on Sunday held her ground and is here to tell the story, so frightening that life/death come down to a split second decision sometimes. Her parents and brother - such a loss. RIP Pava.

His 2013 victim wasn’t even notified when he was released. She said in this article that she found out about his release through the media and was afraid he would come find her to retaliate for putting him in jail.

One thing I do worry about with this case is whether or not he was given light sentences for his previous cases because the victims were not high profile. The couple he victimized prior to killing Pava was black (the young man was anyway) and I wonder if they would have moved to arrest him quicker if they were white. I hope that isn’t true, but it makes me wonder.

This case is similar in a way to Eliza Fletcher. The man who murdered her was out on the streets at the time of her murder even though a woman had reported him for rape (but her rape kit had not been tested so they never arrested him). It almost seemed like the police didn’t take him seriously until he killed someone rich and/or white. (Again I hope that is not true but it does make me wonder.). MOO

Surveillance footage shows LaPere arriving home Friday night and sitting on a couch in the lobby when Billingsley approached the building and waved her over to the glass door, police said.

She opened the door and started talking to him, and they were seen getting on the elevator together, according to the warrant.

Billingsley was then seen 'scrambling for an exit' less than an hour later and wiping his hand on his shorts before leaving the apartment building, police said.
Victim of Jason Billingsley feared he would kill her while on the run

His 2013 victim wasn’t even notified when he was released. She said in this article that she found out about his release through the media and was afraid he would come find her to retaliate for putting him in jail.

One thing I do worry about with this case is whether or not he was given light sentences for his previous cases because the victims were not high profile. The couple he victimized prior to killing Pava was black (the young man was anyway) and I wonder if they would have moved to arrest him quicker if they were white. I hope that isn’t true, but it makes me wonder.

This case is similar in a way to Eliza Fletcher. The man who murdered her was out on the streets at the time of her murder even though a woman had reported him for rape (but her rape kit had not been tested so they never arrested him). It almost seemed like the police didn’t take him seriously until he killed someone rich and/or white. (Again I hope that is not true but it does make me wonder.). MOO
I don't know if that is the case, but I recall several years ago a rapist attacked a woman in my neighborhood by entering through the fire escape of her building. The neighborhood was made aware and women especially were alerted to check windows, not leave them open, etc. I also live in an urban area, and I really wonder if Pava had been aware of the attack nearby, her defenses would've been up and she wouldn't have opened the door. Perhaps.

I think the perp was planning to keep violently harming and killing women (and men, if in the way) until he was caught. He had no intention of stopping, imo, and was only hiding because he wanted to keep doing it as long as possible and as in quick succession as possible. imo

jmo

The details just get more horrifying.

He had used the "lost my keys" line as part of his first known sexual assault years ago.

"On Friday, Billingsley was captured on video following LaPere as she walked home, law enforcement sources briefed on the investigation told CNN. LaPere did not seem to notice the suspect, who kept a distance from her, they said.

LaPere entered her apartment building’s lobby but returned to the front door after she saw a man, later identified as Billingsley, waving at her through the glass, a statement of charges obtained by CNN affiliate WJZ says, citing surveillance footage.

Billingsley appeared as though he was having trouble getting into the building – as if he had forgotten his keys, the sources said."

Edited to add better link.

Earlier footage had also shown the same man following LaPere home, keeping enough of a distance for her not to notice, CNN’s sources said.
Pava LaPere’s suspected killer tricked her into letting him into building: court docs

so he stalked her back to her building after having seen her on the street? Then tricked her into letting him into the building, followed her onto the elevator, and got control of her somehow at that point. scarier and scarier.

Earlier footage had also shown the same man following LaPere home, keeping enough of a distance for her not to notice, CNN’s sources said.
Pava LaPere’s suspected killer tricked her into letting him into building: court docs

so he stalked her back to her building after having seen her on the street? Then tricked her into letting him into the building, followed her onto the elevator, and got control of her somehow at that point. scarier and scarier.
Per his mother, in a news interview, he had a gun.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ms.Priss74
Back