MD - Freddie Gray dies in police custody #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I read some where can't find it now that Mr Gray had surgery a few weeks before, has anyone read this?

If you figure the spinal cord is 0.5-1.5 cm in width, or what a 1/4-3/4 inches in width, the spinal cord could be mostly transected with a small percentage still being intact. Was spinal shock setting in? I, too, would like to see the ME report.

Zuri,
Thanks for response to my post. TYVM.

I understand med ppl can say 80% but do they say 80% of the spinal cord was severed.
Pleading med ignorance on this, but I remember other cases w spinal cord injuries
being characterized as injury to L#, or C#, T#; and
I thought (or ASSumed?) when making stmt, atty did not yet have ME's Autopsy Rpt to quote.

W atty stmt that Gray was "... in a coma, died, was resuscitated, stayed in a coma..."
I thought he indulged in a wee bit of (or more?) literary, artistic, or dramatic license.
If atty did not exaggerate, maybe Mr Gray made med history? IDK.

Thanks again.
_________________________________________________________________________________
Snipped from my post ~ few days ago, re stmt by lawyer for Gray's family:
"... Gray's spine was 80 percent severed at his neck while in police custody.... "... "lapsed into a coma, died, was resuscitated, stayed in a coma." http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/...police-n344506

Interesting read.

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others h

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...d-gray-rough-rides-20150423-story.html#page=1

Interesting read.

But Gray is not the first person to come out of a Baltimore police wagon with serious injuries.

Relatives of Dondi Johnson Sr., who was left a paraplegic after a 2005 police van ride, won a $7.4 million verdict against police officers. A year earlier, Jeffrey Alston was awarded $39 million by a jury after he became paralyzed from the neck down as the result of a van ride. Others h

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...d-gray-rough-rides-20150423-story.html#page=1

Good thing in this case that they have that other prisoner as a witness.

Interesting read.

Good article.

Sorry, but my gut and my eyes (as far as the videos) tell me that this is not one of "those" cases.

And that is what sucks with misplaced outrage. When a story like this one comes along, that IMO, has merit, people just blow it off as another jerk criminal who got what he deserved. When in fact, there is a real possibility that the police were guilty of assualt and maybe even manslaughter.

This is why I wish the media were more circumspect and responsible when it comes to reporting police shootings/killings. Not every case is one of murder or brutality. Although, many are.

Still, when EVERY case gets sensationalized, the true stories of wrongdoing by LE get sort of lost in the shuffle.

I am not blaming us, the readers. We only have MSM and occasionally LE from which to glean our information. It can be hard to deduce the true story from what is reported.

That said, again, I think this story is one of serious brutality and indifference to the damage that was inflicted. And it resulted in a man's death. A man who, if I have read correctly, was just "susupected of some criminal activity". Not with a warrant out for him, not for attacking officers, not for engaging in plain sight criminal activity. Just a suspicion on the part of LE, and the dude tried to get away.

Hell, I have no record and am an old white lady, and never break the law. (Well sometimes I drive 60 in a 55 but as soon as I realize it, I slow down) And you better believe that in my city, I would be scared sheetless if the police tried to arrest or apprehend me. But my PD is notorious for corruption, statutory rape, undue force, etc.

I think one's view of LE can vary depending on the behaviors of the PD in one's area, one's personal experiences, and also, the stories that are in the paper every day. I have respect for LE, but I respect my own safety more and always go with my gut. If I know I am not in the wrong, I am not agreeing to a body search or getting down on pavement only to be tazed or beaten. And as old as I am, if I felt like an officer was going to do something terrible to me, I would run away, screaming at the top of my lungs.

This man had his body destroyed. And I forget, what was he charged with?

I'm not real committed to my opinion at this point. I do think Mr Gray recieved his injuries at the hands of LE. With the inital injury being before he went into the van.

But at this point I am not seeing maliciousness on the part of the officers. I'm thinking the injury may have been inadvertant.

But I am seeing what may be medical neglect. We know he asked for an inhaler before he went into the van. Yet medics weren't called until almost an hour later. When they got him off the ground and took him to the van I didn't see any unnecessary roughness. But did note their attention seemed divided, between him and the crowd. Which could help explain
some of their inattention to medical needs.

This is based only on the info we have seen at this point of course.

I'm not real committed to my opinion at this point. I do think Mr Gray recieved his injuries at the hands of LE. With the inital injury being before he went into the van.

But at this point I am not seeing maliciousness on the part of the officers. I'm thinking the injury may have been inadvertant.

But I am seeing what may be medical neglect. We know he asked for an inhaler before he went into the van. Yet medics weren't called until almost an hour later. When they got him off the ground and took him to the van I didn't see any unnecessary roughness. But did note their attention seemed divided, between him and the crowd. Which could help explain
some of their inattention to medical needs.

This is based only on the info we have seen at this point of course.

BBM This is how I see this case so far. When a suspect resists arrest it requires the use of a certain level of force to put them in handcuffs. When you have up to six officers applying this force it can sometimes result in the inadvertent application of lethal force. I don't believe that any of the six officers intended to kill Mr. Gray. I do believe that the initial injury occured when they took him down and that his injuries were further compounded when he was put in the van. It is unfortunate that none of the officers recognized his initial medical distress (probably thinking he was "faking it"). Perhaps had he been put into a head-brace instead of a paddy-wagon Mr. Gray would be alive today.

BTW at the link above you can put in the police officers name and all the cases he went to court about is listed as well.

BBM This is how I see this case so far. When a suspect resists arrest it requires the use of a certain level of force to put them in handcuffs. When you have up to six officers applying this force it can sometimes result in the inadvertent application of lethal force. I don't believe that any of the six officers intended to kill Mr. Gray. I do believe that the initial injury occured when they took him down and that his injuries were further compounded when he was put in the van. It is unfortunate that none of the officers recognized his initial medical distress (probably thinking he was "faking it"). Perhaps had he been put into a head-brace instead of a paddy-wagon Mr. Gray would be alive today.

Your post made me remember something I have been wondering about. What role did each of the officers play? I can only remember seeing three. If you look at the farther away cell phone video, it looks like there is no van driver, so I assume the guy who helped the two bike guys was the driver. Who were the other three and why have they been suspended?

I predict that this going to turn out to be a case of failing to securely restrain Gray in the back of the transport wagon or Gray removing the seat belt. Somewhere in the 30 minute trip to the station Gray fell off of the seat and broke his neck. It has happened before.

He was not injured during the arrest. Much has been made of his wailing and screaming as he was being led to the wagon. People do that all of the time in the inner city to put on a show for their friends and neighbors.

As I said the other day it may be that no force was used at all and that Gray injured himself in the back of the van.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/04/23/police-may-have-ignored-seatbelt-policy-with-freddie-gray/

Does anyone have a source where we could look at the inside the back of police vans? I google imaged it and did not come up with many photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname