MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #1

I should have explained better, I meant almost a week before they decided she might have been abducted. There is such a tendency to assume teenagers ran away, and with good reason - HOWEVER - it really makes it bad when the parents are telling them over and over they didn't and days later they agree that something might have happened. They loose too much valuable time.

ETA: Same thing when adults go missing.

I do feel for LE in cases of missing persons, as it is so easy to be wrong initially. I think they have to go with their instincts, case by case, and that can't be easy. I'm sure nearly all parents refrain from stating that there is a chance their child (or other loved one) left on their own, yet LE classifies so many people in this way. Is it as simple as if no proof of foul play, that is there only other option?

I am very scared for Phylicia, I don't think there is any chance she decided to take off while away for the holidays. I did see a brief story on HLN today, hopefully she will get more coverage.

No sooner did I walk in the house today after work, did I hear Phylicia's case on the TV that my husband had on in his man cave. I listened to Phylicia's mother being interviewed. That POOR woman. She looked at the interviewer the whole time, then turns, looks the camera dead in the eye and says to the perp, "We're gonna get you." You could just see her pain. Just terrible. Interview with mother:
http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2011/01/03/mother-keeps-hope-alive-to-find-missing-daughter/

I know parents are not supposed to show anger and are told to remain calm when speaking to the media in these matters, but I have to give her mother credit---that is EXACTLY what anyone would be thinking!!! How could you hide your anger. I was like, "THAT'S RIGHT, WE ARE GONNA GET YOU".

Here is the father's interview. According to him, she was very creative, bright, and active in school, loving music and dance.
http://www.abc2news.com/dpp/news/region/baltimore_city/16-year-old-phylicia-barnes-was-last-seen-on-tuesday-afternoon-

This young lady had a bright future. She graduated high school early, model student, and was going to attend Towson University, here in Baltimore (Towson, MD), my alma mater).

This is very scary and I fear---very tragic.

This missing person case was in the local news very soon after she disappeared. It was on the news and in the paper, maybe by Wednesday, definitely by Thursday.

I don't have a link, but on the TV news they kept saying she was missing as of Tuesday at 1:30 pm.... then in the next breath they say that it is thought she left during the night to get something to eat. I'll see if I can find any of those old reports.

Police kept saying there were no signs of foul play. Now today they think it IS foul play and she was taken from the state. I don't think they were looking very hard, but the family has been very proactive, thank goodness.

I don't know the particular apartment complex where she was staying, but I grew up in north Pikesville ....and the neighborhood where she was, around Reisterstown Rd Plaza has been bad for at least 30 years - lots of drugs, holdups and some shootings in the area. As soon as I heard where she was, I thought foul play was involved. It has been speculated that she went to the shopping center to get something to eat. It would be very easy for her to run into trouble there - and it has been said that she does not know the area. I would never go there alone (or at night).

here's one of the older ones - there's quite a few links in the Missing/Info & Support thread

Deena Barnes says she left Phylicia sleeping Tuesday morning when she left from her Northwest Baltimore apartment. Her sister’s boyfriend last saw the girl at 1p.m. Tuesday.

Phylicia’s last Facebook post at 11:30 a.m. mentioned being hungry.
The family wonders if she walked to the nearby plaza for food.

“She texted me while I was at work and asked me to come pick her up,” said Kelly Barnes, her half-sister. “I started calling her, texting her, leaving her voicemails, everything. And nothing.”

“My daughter’s friends came home,” said Russell Barnes, “and the door was unlocked and the music was loud. That’s all they can tell me.”

more here - including it was "confirmed" that Phylicia was seen & turned away from a homeless shelter...that turned out to be untrue.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/12/31/family-of-nc-teen-missing-in-baltimore-speaks-out/

info on the shelter sighting which was false - and I think this caused a delay in LE figuring out Phylicia has not left voluntarily / run away.

http://westunion.wbtv.com/content/gods-gonna-get-you-missing-teens-mom-says-whoever-took-daughter

<respectfully snipped:

The house she went missing from is 6520 eberle drive. This neighborhood, while in the county, is ROUGH. It's the southern most point of Pikesville, which used to be a predominately (pretty much all) Orthodox Jewish neighborhood, but over many years has succumbed to crime and hoodlums coming in from Baltimore City, which is close by, right down Reisterstown Rd (140) past Northern Pkwy (going South). I've been to that area several times for Kosher baked goods, and my husbands family lives North of Pikesville, and most people know that once you pass the Reisterstown Plaza, it gets SKETCHY. Pikesville used to be a nice, safe community, but it's really gone by the wayside.

Prayers for her and her family. I hope she is safe.

Is it in the county? Not that it matters much either way. But, it's being handled by the Baltimore city police department, and I don't have a lot of faith in them. It looks like Eberle Dr is directly behind the Reisterstown Plaza so it's only a matter of blocks either way between city and county. The area has a horrible reputation.

That's it? They say she may have been abducted? A straight A student scheduled to graduate early from a Charter School goes to visit three half siblings and she's gone?

Now what?

Where do they go from there?

Waiting for more local information on this. Would think The Baltimore Sun would be putting more pressure on BCPD for information.

Where is the Amber Alert?!

Major failure.

Where is PHYLICIA?!

Watchful Eye I hear you: I moved to MD a while back and B'more is one place I don't venture into, unless it is a necessity. It is one very scary place...

Hi Malini! Nice to meet a fellow MD-er :)

Yes, it's shaky ground---unsure if it is city or county---right on the border. But if city police are handling it, then I guess it is considered city. Right where county turns into city in Pikesville is SCARY.

So, YES, it is a BAD area. Such a shame. It's hard to believe the Frums (Orthodox Jews) still live so far south. I guess it's just home for them. They have SHOMRIM, which may help slightly.
http://shomrim.net/

SHOMRIM is a Jewish/Orthodox-Run neighborhood watch organization that is very well-organized and structured, and there are several throughout the United States and the world in heavily populated Jewish communities. Shomrim (volunteers) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Although there has been a recent controversial incident between a (crazy) Baltimore Shomrim member and a young black youth, SHOMRIM has a great reputation in the community, esp. with local police.

Perhaps they should enlist SHOMRIM to help keep a lookout for anything suspicious. Eberle is in their patrol district. (See map on website) http://shomrim.net/about-us.php

The black community and Jewish community are so prominent in Pikesville, but have a history of clashing. This is the perfect opportunity for everyone to come together and help an innocent victim out.

Awakewriter---

This case may not meet the qualifications for an Amber Alert:
http://www.amberalert.gov/guidelines.htm

BBM:
Summary of Department of Justice Recommended Criteria:

* There is reasonable belief by law enforcement that an abduction has occurred.
* The law enforcement agency believes that the child is in imminent danger of serious bodily injury or death.
* There is enough descriptive information about the victim and the abduction for law enforcement to issue an AMBER Alert to assist in the recovery of the child.
* The abduction is of a child aged 17 years or younger.
* The child&#8217;s name and other critical data elements, including the Child Abduction flag, have been entered into the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) system.

From the MD Amber Alert Page, BBM: http://msp.maryland.gov/hsib/amber_intro.asp

Maryland AMBER Plan Criteria

The following criteria are utilized to determine if an Amber Alert should be issued for the state of Maryland:

1. Law enforcement confirms a child has been abducted.

2. The child is under the age of 18.

3. Law enforcement believes the circumstances surrounding the abduction indicate that the child is in danger of serious bodily harm or death.

4. There is enough descriptive information about the child, abductor, and/or suspect's vehicle to believe an immediate broadcast alert will help.

5. The child is believed to still be in the broadcast area.

6. The child&#8217;s name and other critical elements have been entered into NCIC by police.

Perhaps there is not enough info on how she was abducted or who abducted her.

Usually you see Amber Alerts with those who were witnessed being abducted/leaving with a perp. It's still a slippery/confusing slope for us non-LE folks.

I understand your frustration though.

Has the Washington Post picked this up?

ETA: Nevermind - I found it:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/03/AR2011010303311.html

This article says that she was visiting her three half-siblings. Sorry if I missed that - I thought she was with her parents. It sounds like she wasn't used to the city dangers, went out looking for food, and either got lost or didn't want to walk home (hence the phone call to her half-sister). But fell victim to some predator right after that. Really really sad... I hope she is found okay. I really hope so. Prayers for her family...

The sister's BF was the last one who saw her, around 1:00pm. Then the friends came home to find the door unlocked and loud music playing. Where was the BF at that time?

Does anyone know Phylicia's middle name?

Does this case remind anyone of another December case -- the abduction of Barbara Ann Barnes of Stubenville, Ohio:

Just looked up this story on http://www.abc2news.com/

Top headline?

"Baltimore city crime hits record lows"
Just under that?

"Missing teen girl may have been abducted"

"Autistic man killed walking his dog"

"Orioles' Simon main suspect in killing" (yes, I know that was elsewhere, but still...)​

I'd hate to see what the headlines were when the crime was "high"... :rolleyes:

Posted: 11:40 am EST January 3, 2011
Updated: 10:56 pm EST January 3, 2011

MONROE, N.C. -- Police in Baltimore said a missing Monroe teenager may have been abducted while visiting the area over the holidays.
Detectives said they are “growing increasingly concerned” and suspect foul play. Barnes may have been abducted and taken out of Maryland, according to police.
On Monday morning, the police commissioner ordered Barnes’ case to be transferred to the Baltimore Police Department’s homicide unit, which investigates all abduction cases.

more here

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/26352094/detail.html

here's one of the older ones - there's quite a few links in the Missing/Info & Support thread

Deena Barnes says she left Phylicia sleeping Tuesday morning when she left from her Northwest Baltimore apartment. Her sister’s boyfriend last saw the girl at 1p.m. Tuesday.

Phylicia’s last Facebook post at 11:30 a.m. mentioned being hungry.
The family wonders if she walked to the nearby plaza for food.

“She texted me while I was at work and asked me to come pick her up,” said Kelly Barnes, her half-sister. “I started calling her, texting her, leaving her voicemails, everything. And nothing.”

“My daughter’s friends came home,” said Russell Barnes, “and the door was unlocked and the music was loud. That’s all they can tell me.”

more here - including it was "confirmed" that Phylicia was seen & turned away from a homeless shelter...that turned out to be untrue.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2010/12/31/family-of-nc-teen-missing-in-baltimore-speaks-out/

info on the shelter sighting which was false - and I think this caused a delay in LE figuring out Phylicia has not left voluntarily / run away.

http://westunion.wbtv.com/content/gods-gonna-get-you-missing-teens-mom-says-whoever-took-daughter

Phylicia texted her sister to come get her, and when the sister called back, texted, left voicemails nothing. I wonder what time that was? Am I missing that?

Something had to be worrying her for her to call her sister at work.

What time did the daughter's friends "come home" to the house? The boyfriend last saw her at 1:00? There's a timeline right there if we knew the time of the text and the time the friends came home.

There has to be cameras somewhere in the vicinity she was, right? Why would LE say she may be out of State? How do you come to that conclusion?

What State? Delaware, DC, Pennsy? Could she be in Philly?

Beautiful, beautiful girl. There's still hope she will be found. There's got to be.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back