MD - Phylicia Barnes, 16, Baltimore, 28 Dec 2010 #9

The defense also filed notice that it intends to call as a witness a man named Robert Hickman Fields, who told police during the investigation that he had seen Phylicia Barnes alive in Cecil County after she was reported missing.

In a response filed last week, prosecutors argue that Fields should not be allowed to testify, accusing the defense of a "purposeful delay in order to obtain an advantage by not providing sufficient time for the state to investigate this witness and the information he provided."

"One month is not sufficient time to adequately investigate this witness as well as review the dozens of phone records, thousands of documents, and numerous witnesses to determine what, if any connection this witness has to the defendant," prosecutors wrote. "That is particularly true in light of the fact that this witness called in to the 'tip line' and gave different information to the police than he appears to be giving in the transcript provided to the state."

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...ci-barnes-tape-court-20121228,0,2220119.story

I'm seething over the information regarding the video. Ok, I realize the age of consent in MD is 16. However an intoxicated 16 yr old clearly can not give consent.

After reading the above linked MSM articles it sounds like Phylicia was given alcohol and drugs prior to being raped by her half sister, her half sisters boyfriend - the alleged killer, and his brother/cousin.

Sick. There are no words. I'll be waiting and watching for arrests following this trial.

Phylicia, I am so sorry the people you were supposed to trust allowed this to happen. How scared you must have been in your final days. Justice is coming!

ETA: Yes, I am calling it rape because an intoxicated 16 yr old can not give consent. Oh Russel Barnes, how proud you must be of your daughter Deena and those she calls boyfriend and friends. They'll all be judged, if not in this life in the next and there is no escaping judgement from their maker.

I agree with you, Cubby. There's no way in he11o that Phylicia consented to sexual intercourse. No way. She was raped. That's why my heart aches so for Phylicia's mom. I just hope she's not beating herself up for allowing Phylicia to go to Baltimore. Janice couldn't have known that such heinous events would transpire, and that Phylicia's own sister would be such an active participant in them. In our worst nightmares we wouldn't have dreamed something like this would happen. In my opinion, Deena was jealous of her sister's beauty, intelligence, innocence, and wholesomeness. And once Deena gave in to the jealous thoughts, unconscionable actions resulted. There is a passage in the Bible that says that jealousy is as cruel as the grave and this case illustrates that to a t. JMO, MOO

Deena may end up in a cell yet. I am most interested in what her testiphony (yes, you read that right) is going to be. She is more twisted than the defendant.
:furious:

I'm seething over the information regarding the video. Ok, I realize the age of consent in MD is 16. However an intoxicated 16 yr old clearly can not give consent.

After reading the above linked MSM articles it sounds like Phylicia was given alcohol and drugs prior to being raped by her half sister, her half sisters boyfriend - the alleged killer, and his brother/cousin.

Sick. There are no words. I'll be waiting and watching for arrests following this trial.

Phylicia, I am so sorry the people you were supposed to trust allowed this to happen. How scared you must have been in your final days. Justice is coming!

ETA: Yes, I am calling it rape because an intoxicated 16 yr old can not give consent. Oh Russel Barnes, how proud you must be of your daughter Deena and those she calls boyfriend and friends. They'll all be judged, if not in this life in the next and there is no escaping judgement from their maker.

I haven't checked in for awhile and wow --- this is news to me. :furious:

I think that the only way Phylicia participated was b/c she was intoxicated and had been coaxed into it. She was clearly not amused with advanced being made to her, yet there is a tape of her "actively" participating?!? No way do I buy that it was of her choice. Even if her choice by being intoxicated, it was still not her choice. I'm royally pi$$ed. I'm not far from Baltimore and wish I could go to the trial. Doubt it will work out, however. Either way, I pray justice will be served, as best it can now that Phylicia is gone.

Court records show there have been several rulings on a defense motion to compel disclosure of internal affairs records related to the lead detective in the case, Daniel Nicholson IV. Nicholson was suspended by the Police Department the day before Johnson was charged, amid questions about a search he conducted for his own daughter, who had run away from home. Police and prosecutors have said Nicholson remains suspended and under investigation in that case.

Defense attorneys claim Nicholson's actions during that search mirror what they say were improper tactics used during the investigation in the Barnes case. Nance initially ruled Thursday that the records from that investigation should not be disclosed, the court file shows.

But a file regarding Nicholson was apparently turned over after that hearing to defense attorneys. Johnson's lawyers claimed in a motion the next day that the file was incomplete and questioned whether prosecutors "intentionally did not charge Detective Nicholson" to "protect his credibility as a main witness."

A closed-door hearing was held Friday, in which Nance ruled that prosecutors and police would have to disclose internal affairs records regarding the investigation into Nicholson's search for his daughter.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/ma...licia-barnes-pretrial-20130108,0,974771.story

I wonder what kind of bearing that will have on the case if his internal affair records are used in court. If I remember correctly, the detective served "search warrants" on homes he believed his daughter was at but he had no search warrants.

I tend to think the defense is grasping at straws with regards to Nicholson's actions regarding his daughters case. But we'll have to wait and see what's presented.

Wow - I wasn't quite sure about the extent of Deena's involvement in this - my goodness, this is horrendous.

I agree with those who say that envy of the most malicious sort was probably involved.

I feel terribly for Phylicia's mother - who provided a rock-solid upbringing for Phylicia, only to have her noble ideas about Phylicia establishing a bond with her half-sisters backfire in the worst way imaginable.

I agree with you, Cubby. There's no way in he11o that Phylicia consented to sexual intercourse. No way. She was raped.

I absolutely agree. While Phylicia may have wanted a little freedom from her mother's strict boundaries, there is no way she consented to that level of sexual activity. And Phylicia's sister and her circle of depraved predators quite possibly took advantage of her inexperience with drugs/alcohol to get her more intoxicated than she ever bargained for.

I'm pleased to see that you and others here can discern that; I've seen some sickenly-judgmental opinions elsewhere on the Internet that presume more willingness on Phylicia's part. Some people are seizing upon this new information to slander Phylica's character. Contrary to the way some seem to think, she is not any less deserving of empathy because of this.

In my opinion, Deena was jealous of her sister's beauty, intelligence, innocence, and wholesomeness.

Not to mention - jealous of Michael's depraved attraction to Phylica. It seems that Deena was unwilling or unable to put Michael's behavior into some rational perspective (i.e. my boyfriend of 10 years is lusting after my underage sister - what kind of bankrupt soul is he?) - and instead allowed her boyfriend's sexual perversions to stoke the flames of toxic envy toward her sister. Of course, this may still be giving Deena too much credit - for it presumes that she was consumed by emotion, when a healthy dose of perversion and/or sociopathy may be at play here, too.

Remember the 500 or so text messages authorities said were sent between Michael Johnson and Phylicia in the few months leading up to the murder? I wonder what the nature of those text messages were? I wonder how they will figure into the case?

You've made some excellent points in your posts, fascination. I totally agree with your point about the alleged 500 texts between the defendant and Phylicia. They will no doubt play a very significant role in this case. MOO, JMO

Motion For Protective Order Reveals Witnesses Lives May Be In Jeopardy

http://thepeopleschampion.me/late-b...r-reveals-witnesses-lives-may-be-in-jeopardy/

Case information from Michael Johnson’s upcoming January 22, 2013 murder trial for allegedly killing the late honors teen reveal Baltimore Circuit Court of Maryland filings shows a Protective Order was sought today January 3, 2013. It’s unclear exactly who requested protection, but it establishes that a concern exist for individual(s) safety who may be connected to the case.

Praying there are no last minute delays. :praying:

The only last minute delay I'd want to see is if he pleads guilty and avoids a trial altogether.

I think/hope they will find enough 'stuff' in the 500 text messages and his plan to go to Brazil where he wouldn't be extradicted.

I wish they'd have gotten him on surveillance driving up to the river.

Praying for Justice for Phylicia Simone Barnes! God be with Janice Mustafa in the courtroom today. Justice will be served!

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

BALTIMORE The trial of a 28-year-old Baltimore man accused in the death of a North Carolina teen is getting underway in Baltimore.

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/01/22/3804269/md-man-facing-trial-for-death.html#storylink=cpy

Today's the day. Praying for Phylicia's mother that she has the strength and support she needs to get through the trial. And praying for justice for Phylicia.

It's been a while since I have responded here. Jury selection begins today. How will the prosecutors and the defense lawyers find people for the jury selection that have not heard about this case?

So glad to see this trial has started. My justice be done here.

Salem

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back