Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex vs Associated Newspapers

6/6/23

Harry has alleged that around 140 articles published between 1996 and 2010 by Mirror Group Newspapers contained inforhigmation gathered using unlawful methods.

But Mr Green told the court that details in these stories actually came from other media outlets, including the BBC, as well as press releases, palace statements, the public domain, his aides and friends and even comments made by his mother Princess Diana.

I find it very odd that Harry, the PLAINTIFF bringing the suit against the Mirror, is giving generalizations as the evidence for his claim. To be clear, even civil suits require facts. o_O

It's just heart breaking to watch this. JMO

How can he be so badly prepared for court, given this is at his instigation? Perhaps his legal team now have some sympathy with the Royal Family, and his truth?
Sadly, I'm really afraid nobody-- including legal counsel, can talk sense to Harry. What I'm hearing is delusional and void of fact.

Seriously, how do you allege incidents when the defense can read you you paragraphs from your own book that contradict your claims! I realize this suit has been ongoing for years and perhaps he forgot to cross reference the two drafts.

Actually, I expected things might go sideways when he failed to appear at the high court timely (failed to appear Monday).

I worry for him. x JMO

He has had so much given to him, but instead of gratitude is just this seething hostile man. Early on I was sympathetic to his tales of woe within his family, but now I wonder about the truthfulness of his complaints. Here he is in court complaining about his privacy being invaded- it seems more because he feels it has rather than he has any proof- when he has published a book which exposes his version of what has gone on within his family. No insight at all.

He has had so much given to him, but instead of gratitude is just this seething hostile man. Early on I was sympathetic to his tales of woe within his family, but now I wonder about the truthfulness of his complaints. Here he is in court complaining about his privacy being invaded- it seems more because he feels it has rather than he has any proof- when he has published a book which exposes his version of what has gone on within his family. No insight at all.
I’m just sick to of them both.

6/7/23

The duke is suing Mirror Group Newspapers for damages over claims journalists at its titles used hacking, 'blagging' and other illegal means of deception to write 140 articles published between 1996 and 2010.

He repeatedly clashed with the KC representing the publisher during the second day of a gruelling cross-examination.

[..]

The barrister asked whether he thought his phone was 'consistently hacked' throughout the 15-year period between 1996 and 2011, the time period that makes up his claim against MGN.

'It could have been happening on a daily basis, I simply don't know,' Harry responded.

Asked if he knew of any evidence to show this, Harry said: 'No, that's part of the reason I'm here, my lord'.

Prince Harry says he is taking legal action to stop hate towards him and Meghan​

The Duke of Sussex has told a court he is suing the publisher of the Daily Mirror to stop "absolute intrusion and hate" towards him and his wife.

Prince Harry was giving evidence against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN) over illegal newsgathering claims, including phone hacking.
He was choked-up as he finished giving evidence for a second day, and said it had been "a lot".

MGN denies it used illegal methods to gather stories about the prince.
At London's High Court, the prince explained he started discussions about possible legal action after a chance-meeting in France in 2018 with David Sherborne, now his barrister.

The prince said before then he had no concerns over any particular stories due to unlawful activity because it "was all contained in the palace".

When asked about his initial discussions with lawyers, Prince Harry said he wanted to put a stop to the "absolute intrusion and hate that was coming towards" him and the Duchess of Sussex.
He said he also wanted to "see if there was any way to find a different course of action, rather than relying on the institution's way".

But in cross-examination, Andrew Green KC, the lawyer representing the publisher of the Mirror, Sunday Mirror and The People, suggested Harry had not found a single story that came from phone hacking.

[...]

Asked how he would react if the court concluded that he had never been hacked by any MGN journalist, Harry said that he had been hacked on an "industrial scale" and he would "feel some injustice" if he did not win the trial.

1686173383890.png
A court sketch of Prince Harry giving evidence

Prince Harry survives his courtroom high wire act​

It might have been the sense of relief, but there was an emotion-packed pause before Prince Harry answered one of his final questions in the witness box.

"You have had to go through these articles and answer questions knowing this is a very public courtroom and the world's media are watching. How has that made you feel?" Prince Harry was asked by his barrister at the end of his court appearance in the case against Mirror Group Newspapers (MGN).

After a day and a half of giving evidence at London's High Court, he looked exhausted and the pause got longer.

"It's a lot," was all he said in the end, sounding distinctly choked up.

In the witness box over the course of two days he had spoken quietly, often in terse, quickfire answers, interspersed with some nervous quips - "if you say so", he said a few times ironically to some details being presented to him.

He has accused the Mirror, Sunday Mirror and the People of hacking and illegal information-gathering.

The great majority of his time in court has been facing questions from the Mirror Group's barrister, Andrew Green, an interrogator with a reputation fearsome enough for him to be known as a "beast in court".

But in the end, it was quite possibly Prince Harry who will have left the court feeling better about the last couple of days. He'd finished his high-wire act without falling off.

He hadn't crumbled or got wound up or tetchy, he hadn't been dragged into too many awkward questions, he'd stuck to his own lines. You couldn't exactly say he'd been an eloquent witness, but he'd not walked into any traps.

[...]

There was also a sense from his emotional testimony that Prince Harry is still slightly trapped in these tabloid years, making him seem younger than he really is. He's only five years younger than the prime minister, but Harry in the public eye is still somehow remembered as the younger brother mourning the loss of his mother.

This unprecedented appearance in the High Court also showed how for the prince the blurring between private and public life must be a very strange experience.

Prince Harry tells court he didn't consider hacking legal action until he bumped into 'lovely' celebrity barrister - who represented Coleen Rooney in Wagatha Christie trial - in 'chance' meeting while he and Meghan were on holiday with Elton John in France​

• Harry said he first considered legal action following chance meeting in 2018
Prince Harry did not consider taking legal action against alleged phone hacking until he bumped into his celebrity barrister during a 'chance' meeting while on holiday with wife Meghan and Sir Elton John in France, the High Court has heard.

[...]

The duke described subsequently speaking to solicitors to discuss issues he and Meghan were experiencing, adding: 'I think it was a discussion about somehow how to find a way to put the abuse, intrusion and hate that was coming towards me and my wife and seeing if there was any way to find a different course of action without relying on the institution's way.'

Andrew Green KC, for MGN, asked him: 'When did you first go to solicitors to seek advice about a possible claim against MGN?'

Harry replied: 'I didn't go to them. I bumped into Mr Sherborne in France... it's in my book.'

In the Spare excerpt, which was not presented or read to the court, Harry wrote that the barrister was 'a lovely fellow who knew more about the phone-hacking scandal than anyone I'd ever met' and who suggested the duke hire his own lawyer.

Mr Green KC suggested it was not concern over a specific MGN story that led the duke to seek legal advice, with Harry agreeing.

The barrister asked: 'So prior to bumping into Mr Sherborne in France, you hadn't sought advice from lawyers about whether you had a claim against the Mirror Group?'

The duke said: 'No. Nothing at all.'

Mr Green asked him whether Harry had been aware he had a claim against MGN before the conversation.

'Not at all,' the prince replied.

Harry told the court he filed his claims against MGN and News Group 'at around the same time'.

During cross-examination, Mr Green also said it 'wasn't concern over any particular article' which prompted the duke to go to solicitors, to which Harry replied: 'No, I was never shown anything.'

He added that it was 'all contained within the palace and even if I had I wouldn't have been allowed' to make a complaint.

I wish the media would just quit publicizing anything they do.

Seems to me when media pulled back (nothing interesting), they didn't like it and had a publicists fire off some tweets to get them in the news again.

I think they also did the Netflix to get back in the news. Clearly, they want it both ways but only want stories they control, (by those they control). JMO

ETA: Actually, I think this suit is about media attention because according to H, the Royals all settled their phone hacking claims quietly except H who wants to be making news. MOO

Last edited:

Duke of Sussex pdf statement at link

Prince Harry's 25,538-word witness statement was released today as he began giving evidence for his phone hacking trial against the publisher of the Mirror.

The Duke of Sussex has complained in the High Court document about the 'state of our press and our government - both of which I believe are at rock bottom'.

The 550-page document contains five mentions of the 38-year-old prince's wife Meghan Markle and 118 mentions of his first serious girlfriend Chelsy Davy.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aztraea
Back