Found Deceased Mexico - Kevin, 41, Amy, 38, Sterling, 12, & Adrianna Sharp, 7, Tulum, 15 March 2018

Iowa family of four that went missing in Mexico found dead - Fox Newshttps://apple.news/As8hG0dXJT3uioskT38yyGQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry if this has been duplicated. How awful. My guess is CO2 poisoning as well [emoji22]

Iowa family of four that went missing in Mexico found dead - Fox Newshttps://apple.news/As8hG0dXJT3uioskT38yyGQ

I'd be curious to hear from the last people who rented the condo before the Sharp's and how long ago that was. Whether or not they started getting ill before they left, if they had headaches.

I do imagine that authorities were airing out the condo after discovering the bodies because I would think the air wasn't too fresh. So who knows if and when they did a CO test on the air in it.

I just don't trust we will get the truth from the Mexican autopsy because anything negative can affect tourism there. I hope the family asks for an American autopsy once the bodies are returned to the United States.

From Notacaribe

This article cites "publications" on Facebook from relatives claiming they already know the cause, FWIW

"Although the causes are still unknown, relatives in the United States indicated that it was not a murder, but a carbon monoxide poisoning."

Despite my earlier skepticism, carbon monoxide poisoning does seem the most likely explanation. So so tragic.

Sorry if this has been duplicated. How awful. My guess is CO2 poisoning as well [emoji22]

Getting challenged by my memory of chemistry but carbon monoxide is CO (one oxygen) and CO2 is carbon dioxide (two oxygen)
CO is what the sensors pickup.CO2 is by just breathing.(and other)

BTW I failed organic chemistry.

I'm leaning with the above poster on pesticides or cleaning compounds.

From Notacaribe

This article cites "publications" on Facebook from relatives claiming they already know the cause, FWIW

"Although the causes are still unknown, relatives in the United States indicated that it was not a murder, but a carbon monoxide poisoning."

Wow How sad.

Gas poisoning is so scary. This is not the first case where an entire family is taken out. So scary.

It sounds like things are leaning toward CO poisoning but just want to share that pesticide sprays and things like that are real dangerous too.

I once tried to bug bomb a mobile home I lived in and even though we followed all the instructions and left the place and then aired it out for hours before entering we both became sick as dogs.

We were sick for weeks and never felt right until it finally wore off. The gas from the bug bombs got in the furniture and carpet and everywhere and it was horrible. I will never use those bug bombs again. And with sprays I am very careful where I spray them.

I also know a friend of mine who got sick from a pesticide company that sprayed their place. He ended up in hospital.

Anyway just wanted to share to be careful when spraying any bug spray or anything like that. It sounds like this case is leaning toward CO poisoning. An odorless gas that is hard to know its happening until its too late. So sad

Getting challenged by my memory of chemistry but carbon monoxide is CO (one oxygen) and CO2 is carbon dioxide (two oxygen)
CO is what the sensors pickup.CO2 is by just breathing.(and other)

BTW I failed organic chemistry.

I'm leaning with the above poster on pesticides or cleaning compounds.

You are right and lots of people get confused between the two.

Carbon Monoxide CO is the odorless deadly gas that gets produced when things like furnaces or heaters burn and suck the oxygen out of a room leaving carbon monoxide as a biproduct.

Carbon Dioxide CO2 is what we breath out when we breath in Oxygen and use it then we expel CO2. It is also used in those seltzer containers to give soda the bubbles. It can kill you too if there is no oxygen but it does not form from a furnace or heater. Like if you were in a box and breathed all the oxygen and only C02 is left then you could die that way too.

But most gas poisonings we hear about are the Carbon Monoxide CO type where a heater uses all the Oxygen and leaves carbon monoxide CO.

Thanks for bringing this up as it is confusing to lots of people.

Is carbon monoxide poisoning common in tropical climates ? I always thought it was more common in places with very cold winters. And that's why the advice to always leave a bedroom window a tiny bit open ? What would have caused this in such a hot climate ?

I’ve never seen a case personally, but in embalming school we were taught about how to treat a CO poisoning case. There is a very bright cherry red extra vascular staining that is very difficult if not impossible to remove. I think bright cherry red stained skin would be a very obvious sign to LE that would point them towards CO poisoning. There was some mention of the bodies being in a state of decomposition, but I think with the ac on and the kids perhaps sitting on a cool tile floor, the decomp wouldn’t be full putrification yet. Probably some swelling and discolouration but I would imaginge this staining would still be visiable.

JMHO

Edit- accidentally referred to carbon monoxide as CO2

Emily Turner of Creston was a neighbor of Amy's growing up and the two families stayed very connected.

"Kevin and my husband coached many sports together," Turner said. "We had a tight knit group of sixth-grade athletes and parents. It's going to affect these boys through their whole careers."

[...]

Mark Williams, chief dispatcher for the Union County (Iowa) Law Enforcement Center, said Friday that Mexican officials were speculating that the family had been killed by a gas leak in the condo, but that hadn't been confirmed.

[...]

According to local news outlets in Mexico, an employee noticed an odor coming from the condo where the family was staying.

Security was alerted, the Merida Yucatan Bulletin reported, and upon entering the unit they found the bodies of the four family members, partly decomposed. The Bulletin and Novedades Quintana Roo said the children had apparently been watching TV and the adults were in bed.

http://www.omaha.com/news/iowa/fami...cle_bb63d625-ebe3-5dee-ac2a-ed011237238c.html

The only place here large enough to hold the shock and grief engulfing this town will be Southwestern Community College, perhaps in the gymnasium.

That's where mourners will gather for the funeral of a local family of four — parents Kevin and Amy Sharp and their children, Sterling and Adrianna — who went missing during their Mexican spring break vacation and were found dead Friday in their resort condo in Akumal.

Foul play isn't suspected, but that hasn't eased the pain of beloved relatives, friends and neighbors rocked by the tragedy.

Amy Sharp's close family gathered on a chilly Friday afternoon at the home of Beth Fry, Amy’s mother.

“Life is not going to be the same without her,” Fry said, overcome with grief as she stood in the bitter wind. “Half my family is gone.

http://www.kare11.com/article/news/...sort/465-f69c7aaa-3989-4298-8ee6-819c9c8291b4

Is carbon monoxide poisoning common in tropical climates ? I always thought it was more common in places with very cold winters. And that's why the advice to always leave a bedroom window a tiny bit open ? What would have caused this in such a hot climate ?

Not sure on the tropical climate thing. but I've never heard the advice of leaving a window open. Maybe way back when. But now the advice is to have a carbon monoxide detector on every level of the home. I am very cautious about this because years ago, we had a neighbor who was found dead due to carbon monoxide leak.

:welcome:

[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]to
Websleuths,

[/FONT]
[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]brandnew[/FONT][FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]!!!
[/FONT]

:cheer:[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms] We're glad y[/FONT][FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]ou're here!![/FONT]:cheer:

:greetings:

Its got to be carbon monoxide. In the 90's Vitas Gerulaitis died same way and it was a furnace. They turned on the heater at night and thats how i think they died.

Having been to Tulum, I can say that many of the condos and resort properties rely on generators for power, which makes me wonder if it may in fact have been CO poisoning. Very sad.

:welcome6:

[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]to Websleuths,
[/FONT]

:happydance:[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms][/FONT][FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]luluhoneybee[/FONT][FONT=comic\ sans\ ms] !![/FONT]:happydance:

[FONT=comic\ sans\ ms]We're glad to have you here!![/FONT]
:greetings:

Just horrible. This is so sad.
:floating:

Not sure on the tropical climate thing. but I've never heard the advice of leaving a window open. Maybe way back when. But now the advice is to have a carbon monoxide detector on every level of the home. I am very cautious about this because years ago, we had a neighbor who was found dead due to carbon monoxide leak.

Have had detectors for many years. But, I always leave a bedroom window opened just a bit. Never heard of this happening in a tropical climate before.

Has anyone looked up what the temperatures were in Tulum that day, evening, night?

I realize this family is from Iowa and probably wouldn't be quick to turn on the furnace or a space heater if temperatures were only mildly cool, but sometimes coastal areas get cold at night. Is it possible they had a space heater running or some type of gas-powered heat source?

I remember a year or so ago, a couple died in a motel room due to chloride/chlorine poisoning due to their room being located over the pool unit. There was some kind of chlorine leak. The couple died overnight, IIRC. Just a thought.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lag87675
Back