Found Deceased MI - Cole Zielinski, Saginaw Bay, 30 May 2021

I wouldn't be surprised if they weren't wearing any. I think in this situation, many people feel embarrassed/ashamed of not following basic safety and lie about it so they don't look bad. I'm not blaming/shaming. I don't know if I'd put on a life jacket for a quick boat ride either.

Also not totally taking foul play off the table.

Autopsies are good at telling truths....
It is NOT illegal to not wear life jackets at their age limit, but boats need to have same amount of life preservers/jackets as passengers. So he legally would not need to wear one.
However, original News and from fiance said He WAS wearing one.
So-- my question is...where did it go ??
I mean, a life jacket just doesnt fall off someone , IMO
DNR - Life Jacket Rules (michigan.gov)

I wish his girlfriend told the truth and said he wasn't wearing a liefjacket at the beginning instead of saying he was.....at least the story would have made a bit more sense.

Although there are still several details that are "off"......IMO.

Quite a few details feel a bit off here. The girlfriend did say initially that he was NOT wearing a lifejacket, and then changed it to that he did have one on.
He could have removed it if he was hypothermic. I know that often with hypothermia people tend to strip their clothing, although I can’t see removing your only life line even if confused.
I do wonder if she possibly hit him with the boat while trying to get closer and was scared to admit it. <modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
He wouldn't have been in the water long enough to be hypothermic, not at 64°F/18°C.

He could've taken his life jacket off, just because it felt bulky and 'in the way'.

It'll be interesting to see if the autopsy reveals blunt force trauma to the head/neck, to indicate she may have hit him with the boat accidentally.

If it doesn't, then I'm not sure what the outcome will be.
Unexpected cardiac event?

He wouldn't have been in the water long enough to be hypothermic, not at 64°F/18°C.

He could've taken his life jacket off, just because it felt bulky and 'in the way'.

It'll be interesting to see if the autopsy reveals blunt force trauma to the head/neck, to indicate she may have hit him with the boat accidentally.

If it doesn't, then I'm not sure what the outcome will be.
Unexpected cardiac event?

Cold water shock can cause cardiac arrest, but it would need to be significantly lower water temperature than 64.

Had they been doing any drinking? Not at all to victim blame or anything! When I'm on a boat it's likely that I am drinking and without a life preserver.

there is a somewhat high statistic that drowning victims who are not children are generally drunk young men (my Occam's razor theory for the infamous "smiley face murders" that I think is mostly just this extremely tragic phenomena) I think it must be much easier for your body to naturally draw water into the lungs when one is intoxicated.

MOO!

Just catching up here
I see they found him and feel so bad he died while trying to save their pet dog. :(
I am guessing they will do autopsy but I think they will find it was an accidental drowning.
I also wondered if drinking was a factor, but she is pregnant so she possibly was not drinking, but he may have been, but never know for sure.
I do understand the panic when one of your dogs jump it or fall in the water as it has happened here with neighbors pets out on the lake and he may have just gone into panic mode to save their dog OR...... something else may have happened.

https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2021/06/bay-county-boater-father-business-owner-died-of-drowning-remembered-as-an-artist-in-his-work-with-trees.html%3foutputType=amp

Bay County Sheriff Troy R. Cunningham said an autopsy conducted on the body of 29-year-old Cole R. Zielinski showed drowning was his cause of death. Cunningham added the investigation is open until toxicology results come in, but no foul play or anything criminal is suspected.
Thank you for sharing this.
I am glad his pregnant fiance is NOT involved.
I am sorry for this tragic accident, for all of them.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dena24
Back