MI - Juanita Richardson, 43, dies in fall at Pictured Rock cliffs, 22 June 2006

Interesting case. I tried to look at some of the previously supplied links, but they're too old and no longer good. I found a few current articles about the case that kind of explains where the pros is coming from.

JMHO, he's GUILTY! :( Hope the jury agrees.

I hate these guys keep doing this, killing their faithful wife rather than getting a divorce.

fran

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/508003.html

Medical examiner explains injuries to jury

MANISTIQUE — The prosecution and defense both dropped hints to the jury Wednesday supporting their theories of the manner in which Juanita Richardson died when she fell from the Pictured Rocks cliffs.

..............snip............

Smith testified that with someone being pushed, or the victim of a chokehold, there may or may not be evidence of injuries present on a body. He said there was no direct evidence found on Juanita Richardson’s body of an altercation or struggle at the top of the cliff.

Smith said she suffered a fractured neck and a bruise between her breastbone and throat.

“She had a lot of injuries on her neck that could have been caused by a variety of mechanisms,” Smith said.

Smith said during the fall, Juanita Richardson’s head could have pushed forward, with her chin causing the bruise near the throat.

Numinen asked if she was the subject of a chokehold.

“I can’t say she was and I can’t say she wasn’t,” Smith said.

Douglas Kehl testified Wednesday that from 1985-87 he instructed Thomas Richardson in martial arts, including kicks and chokeholds. To reach the level he achieved in class, Richardson would have been proficient at several kicks and at least five chokeholds.

..............more at link..............

Let's see, I'm on the jury and the instructor testifies the guy had been his martial arts student and a good one too. The defense is, 'there's no {proof} that the accused took the martial arts class.:bang:

Nahhhh...........he did it!:behindbar

JMHO
fran

http://www.wluctv6.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=116365

How did Juanita fall?
Prosecution focused on the manner of death for Thomas Richardson's wife.

snip............

Medical examiner Dr. Randolph Smith testified on Wednesday that Juanita Richardson's autopsy did not reveal anything that would have caused her to collapse and fall. Also, the toxicology tests showed no traces of alcohol or drugs in Juanita's system, and there was no evidence of an altercation at the time of the fall.

"Does the absence of such injuries have any significance to the determination of the matter of death?" questioned Prosecutor Karen Bahrman.

"Not in this case," said medical examiner Dr. Randolph Smith.

"Would you expect the application of a chokehold to necessarily leave a mark or injury?" inquired Bahrman.

"Chokeholds may not leave marks that I can see and they may leave marks I can see," testified Smith.

The use of a chokehold on Juanita was brought up by prosecution because of the injuries around her neck.

"There weren't any signs of a chokehold on Mrs. Richardson, were there?" asked defense attorney Karl Numinen.

"She had a lot of injuries on her neck," said Smith.

"But there weren't any signs of a chokehold injury on her neck, were there?" questioned Numinen.

"She had a lot of injuries on her neck that could be caused by multiple different mechanisms," claimed Smith.

......snip...............

according to Douglas Kehl, a part-time martial arts instructor in Cadillac, Michigan, chokeholds are designed to make the victim go unconscious. Kehl studied martial arts with Richardson in the late 1980s and testified that Richardson may have known what he was doing.

"How would you describe Mr. Richardson's performance as a student?" asked Bahrman.

"Tom did well," said Kehl. "Our instructor at the time would break us into groups, and if you were a little bit more advanced and wanted to learn more, he would show you more difficult techniques. A lot of time Tom was in that group where he would teach that stuff."

Defense attorney Jason Elmore pointed out that there are no records proving that Richardson in fact took martial arts classes some 20 years ago

Now he's saying he heard her scream and saw her fall. I've been reading various articles, his story keeps changing.

I think this is his final story and he's stickin' to it!:eek:

fran

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/507882.html

Undercover cop recorded Richardson

MUNISING — On a police surveillance videotape played for the jury Monday, Thomas David Richardson talks openly, detailing his wife Juanita’s final moments.

Michigan State Police trooper Natalie Torres made the videotape while working undercover as a prospective girlfriend for Richardson in October 2006.

...............snip............

Richardson offered to let Torres read his written “testament” of what happened. He said he had written the account down on the advice of his attorney.

Torres preferred to let Richardson detail the events aloud.

Richardson began by saying, “I was standing there watching Juanita. She was looking at me. I was on my way back from the bathroom.”

Richardson — who said he had been suffering from diarrhea for two days — said normally his wife would have accompanied him back to the park visitor center bathroom, but didn’t because her foot was sore.

“She had her left foot crushed in a three-wheeler accident years before and had reconstructive surgery,” Richardson said. “And in the morning that foot hurts and when the weather changes that foot hurts and we were in both of those scenarios at the time.”

Consequently, Richardson said his wife decided to wait there until he came back from the bathroom.

“When I walked back, she was standing there like three-footish, two-and-a-half feet from the edge. She wasn’t standing right at the edge like everybody thinks,” Richardson said.

Richardson said his wife was looking him in the face, facing away from the water, as he came off the main path, walking toward her.

“She was smiling ear-to-ear and I was waiting for her to say, ‘Check this out’ or ‘Look at what I saw,’ or ‘You gotta see this’ and she started turning around,” Richardson said.

Richardson next tells Torres his wife was wearing open-toed sandals that day, after having suffered a broken little toe when she accidentally kicked a decorative tree root-styled banister support in their house.

“And as she turned, she just (pause) fell,” Richardson said. “And she kind of just hit the edge and her hands were past the edge where she could break her fall.

“And she kind of just hit and rolled and was gone. She said, as she was falling, I heard her scream, ‘Oh, my God’ or ‘Oh, dear God’ and when she hit, she just kind of hit, hit and rolled over the edge. And I heard her scream on the way down.”

Richardson said he then “piled up like a sack of potatoes” and “fainted right there on the spot.”

snip........................

Weaver said Richardson told her he has a closed head injury, which results in his passing out, to keep him from taking in hurtful things.

Ho-hum...........Are we surprised there's a 'history' of domestic violence?

:(
fran

http://www.miningjournal.net/page/content.detail/id/507999.html

Father claims Richardson struck his daughter

Culver testified his daughter was excited about her trip to the Upper Peninsula with Thomas Richardson. But Thomas and Juanita differed on the purpose of the vacation.

The Richardsons were talking about the trip at Culver’s house when, according to Culver, Thomas Richardson said, “It’s going to be our second honeymoon.”

Hearing this, Juanita Richardson turned around and asked, “What are you talking about?”

Richardson told police he and Juanita referred to the cliff site where she fell 140 feet to her death as their “honeymoon spot.”

Culver said he had never heard mention of this nickname prior to his daughter’s death.

Culver also said no one had ever told him about Richardson’s purported 2002 closed head injury before Juanita died.

Early in the Richardsons’ marital relationship, Culver said he threatened Richardson after his daughter exhibited facial bruises she initially said were from a fall down the stairs.

He said Juanita eventually admitted Richardson had struck her.

“I said I’d kill him if it ever happened again,” Culver said.

Culver said Richardson didn’t deny he had hit Juanita.

When the Richardsons later separated and Thomas Richardson moved out of their house, Culver said he strongly urged his daughter to get out of the marriage and not look back.

Culver said Juanita decided to reconcile with her husband for the sake of her children and family.

Culver said the last time he saw his daughter was a couple of weeks before she died. He said she had stubbed her toe, but was exhibiting no ill effects from the injury. She also never complained about trouble with any other past injuries, Culver said.

Culver testified Juanita Richardson was in excellent spirits before the trip. A breast lump determined to be benign earlier that spring had been discussed by Juanita with her father. He said she wasn’t secretive about the issue with anyone who was close to her.

......................snip...............

Culver said his daughter had a fear of heights. He called assertions reportedly made by Thomas Richardson that Juanita would have held onto a piece of bark to lean over ledges to take pictures “totally ridiculous.”

Amraann,

I just read that book, From the Corner of his Eye, last week! The story popped into my mind immediately when I heard this , too! OT, but wasn't that an awesome book?

I hope this guy didn't kill his wife. I feel bad suspecting it, but it turns out that way so often. Hinky that she fell just when he was answering nature's call.

Eve

It was an awesome book!! But I like almost all his books!

Nova, you crack me up!!

“She had her left foot crushed in a three-wheeler accident years before and had reconstructive surgery,” Richardson said. “And in the morning that foot hurts and when the weather changes that foot hurts and we were in both of those scenarios at the time.”

Richardson next tells Torres his wife was wearing open-toed sandals that day, after having suffered a broken little toe when she accidentally kicked a decorative tree root-styled banister support in their house.

Yeah, I bet those were accidents! :rolleyes:

I had a coworker many years ago who went to Stone Mtn with his wife & son. He was sitting with his feet in the water not at the edge, but close to it. Of course water running over rocks makes for some SLICK rock. When he stood up his feet just went out from under him and he went over and of course died. His son (5 I think at the time) was close by and reached to grab his Dad's hand but thank God couldn't get it or they both would have gone over. It was horrible - but they had lots of witnesses. It was a 3 day weekend (Easter?) and you see the guy Friday, then Tuesday he's dead. 27 I think he was. Poor soul had the worst luck. He'd only worked there two years and when he came he was on crutches with an injured knee then he broke his collarbone shortly after that healed up.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back