MI - Neurosurgeon Dr. Devon Hoover, 53, found fatally shot during welfare check, Detroit, Apr 2023

Dr. Hoover owns the former home of Benjamin Siegel that was built in 1914. Mr. Siegel owned an upscale ladies' department store in Detroit that he named B. Siegel.

Albert Kahn designed an Italianate villa of 13,000 square feet.

The "attic" is actually the third floor of the home where the servants lived, att, of Mr. Siegel's ownership. There is a set of stairs leading from the 3rd floor to the kitchen. The residents and guests use the main staircase with ornate carvings. The home also has an elevator. Elsewhere, I read that one of his patients' has a business that tends to his trees.

Benjamin Siegel Home, Detroit, Michigan - Homes, History and People

Benjamin Siegel house - Detroit - LocalWiki

Truly, it is like nothing so much as a museum, from the vaulted butler’s pantry with original silver safe and an array of china collections, to the dining room, featuring a table that once belonged to the Archbishop of Detroit and served visiting Popes, to the velvet-lined elevator, featuring a ceiling mural in a cherub motif (echoing another mural on the dining room ceiling, a product of the previous owner).
A Peek Into Detroit's Benjamin Siegel House

Last edited by a moderator:
I lived in the servant's quarters of one of these VERY historic homes and can attest to all the hidden halls and areas in these homes. It was creepy to be in the house alone, I'm not gonna lie. It's a historic district surrounded by not so great areas but I was way more spooked inside than outside sometimes. Beautiful and ornate but just kinda creepy

They are saying he was shot multiple times (not once) in the head. <modsnip - title has been corrected>

"A popular neurosurgeon who was found dead in his Detroit home was shot in the head multiple times, the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office said Thursday.

Devon Hoover's body was found wrapped in a sheet in the attic of his Boston-Edison home Sunday night. Police initially said Hoover was shot once, but the medical examiner said he suffered multiple gunshot wounds."

They are saying he was shot multiple times (not once) in the head. <modsnip - title has been changed>

"A popular neurosurgeon who was found dead in his Detroit home was shot in the head multiple times, the Wayne County Medical Examiner's Office said Thursday.

Devon Hoover's body was found wrapped in a sheet in the attic of his Boston-Edison home Sunday night. Police initially said Hoover was shot once, but the medical examiner said he suffered multiple gunshot wounds."

JMO
Thank you for clearing the fact that this gentleman's last name is indeed Hoover. Dr. Devon Hoover. I've read many kind things about this gifted man. I think he'd open his door if someone, anyone rang the doorbell.

When it was said he was shot once in the head, I thought surely it was someone he knew. It was personal. It involved a domestic dispute.

Multiple shots indicates, for me, a certain degree of determination to callously end this man's life. A home invasion comes to mind because now I'm doubting MSM reports as being truthful and accurate. A home invasion would also indicate the reason his vehicle was taken and left in a less than desirable area so an accomplice could pick up the killer(s).

None of the reports I've seen indicate if there is anything of value was removed from this doctor's home as a home invasion would indicate that the intruder(s) sought something of value.

I found a photo of the Bentley. There must be another vehicle he drove that the killer took from his home.
Screenshot 2023-04-27 8.16.37 PM.png
Michigan neurosurgeon shot dead at home in tony neighborhood: cops

Dr. Hoover owns the former home of Benjamin Siegel that was built in 1914. Mr. Siegel owned an upscale ladies' department store in Detroit that he named B. Siegel.

Albert Kahn designed an Italianate villa of 13,000 square feet.

The "attic" is actually the third floor of the home where the servants lived, att, of Mr. Siegel's ownership. There is a set of stairs leading from the 3rd floor to the kitchen. The residents and guests use the main staircase with ornate carvings. The home also has an elevator. Elsewhere, I read that one of his patients' has a business that tends to his trees.

Benjamin Siegel Home, Detroit, Michigan - Homes, History and People

Benjamin Siegel house - Detroit - LocalWiki

It seems Dr Hoover was a wonderful surgeon who cared for and loved his patients, as well as his historic home (which is amazing). I'm glad LE has a suspect and I hope they are closing in.

Last edited:
perhaps an aggrieved former patient?
Yep, they’re not having to send out a search party; it’s almost a solved case.

A bad date or a tryst that went wrong?

It will be reported on soon enough.
It is a huge house. He has probably had many people working there over the years. It could be a fired or disgruntled employee.

"As mystery shrouds Hoover's death, an outpouring of shock, grief and anger over the slaying continues to mount.

Friends and former patients of Hoover's described him as brilliant, exceptional and larger-than-life. He was known for his generosity, compassion and kindness.

Nearly 2,000 people have joined the Facebook group "Justice for Dr. Devon Hoover." The group is flooded with tributes dedicated to the slain doctor, many of whom were patients who said they are alive because of Hoover's care."

"As mystery shrouds Hoover's death, an outpouring of shock, grief and anger over the slaying continues to mount.

Friends and former patients of Hoover's described him as brilliant, exceptional and larger-than-life. He was known for his generosity, compassion and kindness.

Nearly 2,000 people have joined the Facebook group "Justice for Dr. Devon Hoover." The group is flooded with tributes dedicated to the slain doctor, many of whom were patients who said they are alive because of Hoover's care."

I just joined that group myself. Thanks!

And I just saw on that group that his mother died today! She had been in hospice for some time, so it wasn't that big of a surprise, and another person said that she had not been told that he was deceased.

RIP, Devon's Mom. You appear to have raised a wonderful man.

And I just saw on that group that his mother died today! She had been in hospice for some time, so it wasn't that big of a surprise, and another person said that she had not been told that he was deceased.

RIP, Devon's Mom. You appear to have raised a wonderful man.

How sad to hear this.

Prayers for the grieving family, losing their brother/son/uncle and mother/wife/grandmother both within one week of one another.

The news reports said that his family called Detroit LE and asked for a welfare check on Dr. Hoover when he failed to show up for a planned visit to Indiana over the weekend. I bet he was going there to visit his mother in hospice. How very sad and tragic all around.

Some lovely tributes from Dr. Devon Hoover's friends, neighbors, and patients.

'Hoover was known for his kindness and generosity. He was brilliant, an "exceptional person in nearly every way" and a "larger-than-life" type of person.'

[...]

"A loving son and brother, a brilliant, accomplished surgeon, an unrivaled collector and caretaker of all things beautiful, and a champion of art and culture. But perhaps most admirably, he was beyond generous with his time and his treasure."

[...]

"Hospitality was his specialty, he said, and he opened his doors to "countless neighbors, friends, and charitable organizations."

[...]

"He treated his patients with kindness, compassion and respect."

[...]

"Hoover was humble and invested in his patients."

[...]

"His concern was always with the person in front of him, his patient, and putting them at ease. Every single person he's ever encountered, he was just a kind, compassionate person. And other doctors thought the world of him."

[...]

"I bet you could never find a person who could say a single bad thing about him."

[...]

"The loss of this beautiful person is incalculable."

[...]

“He treated everyone like a friend. That's a gift that not many people have."

[...]

“I’ve worked so long as a nurse and people come and go. You forget some of them, but you could never forget him.”

[...]

"I pray that there’s a heaven and that Devon is there now, drinking wine and resting from his many labors. May his good life be remembered and may his memory be eternal."

The individual is being held on charges unrelated to the slain doctor's death, Detroit Police Chief James White said. He and Hoover knew each other, White said, but declined to comment further on the nature of their relationship.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cynichick
Back