GUILTY MI - Paul DeWolf, 25, fatally shot in Ann Arbor frat house, 23 July 2013

Excellent first post, Black Squirrel......'hope you continue to contribute!

:rockon:

Welcome Black Squirrel

:thewave: :welcome3:

Reward offered in University of Michigan student's murder

Paul DeWolf, 25, was found dead from gunshot in his apartment on July 24

Author: Halston Herrera, Senior News Editor for ClickOnDetroit.com, hherrera@wdiv.com

Published On: Aug 05 2013 01:25:58 PM EDT

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -
A $5,000 reward is being offered to find who killed a University of Michigan medical student.

Ann Arbor police announced the reward Monday.

Tips can be called or emailed to 734-794-6939 or TIPS@a2gov.org...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...rder/-/1719418/21335938/-/igaxy6/-/index.html

Reward offered in University of Michigan student's murder

Paul DeWolf, 25, was found dead from gunshot in his apartment on July 24

Author: Halston Herrera, Senior News Editor for ClickOnDetroit.com, hherrera@wdiv.com

Published On: Aug 05 2013 01:25:58 PM EDT

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -
A $5,000 reward is being offered to find who killed a University of Michigan medical student.

Ann Arbor police announced the reward Monday.

Tips can be called or emailed to 734-794-6939 or TIPS@a2gov.org...

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/...rder/-/1719418/21335938/-/igaxy6/-/index.html

Update: Reward now at $10,000

Ann Arbor and University of Michigan police are offering rewards totaling $10,000 for information leading to the arrest and conviction in the fatal shooting of University of Michigan medical student Paul DeWolf.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/...d-for-information-in-homicide-of-u-m-student/

It does seem unlikely that the incident at the neighboring house and Paul's killing were perpetrated by the same person. A home invasion is aggressive, brash, reckless & hell-bent. At the frat house, we have an intruder or guest so quiet other residents heard nothing and he or she was efficient, one bullet to the neck, and left the setting undisturbed, a real minimalist. It would be interesting to learn how many residents of Paul's house were interviewed and what they had to say. Were they asleep or on campus at the hour this crime occurred? What is the estimated time of death? What do we know about the status of Paul's recent relationships? Was there a break-up due to the training he was about to take on the West Coast? In any case, I believe police will nail who done it in two weeks, August 20. Cherchez la femme!

It does seem unlikely that the incident at the neighboring house and Paul's killing were perpetrated by the same person. A home invasion is aggressive, brash, reckless & hell-bent. At the frat house, we have an intruder or guest so quiet other residents heard nothing and he or she was efficient, one bullet to the neck, and left the setting undisturbed, a real minimalist. It would be interesting to learn how many residents of Paul's house were interviewed and what they had to say. Were they asleep or on campus at the hour this crime occurred? What is the estimated time of death? What do we know about the status of Paul's recent relationships? Was there a break-up due to the training he was about to take on the West Coast? In any case, I believe police will nail who done it in two weeks, August 20. Cherchez la femme!

Good points... And good questions...

Questions I would like to know the answers to, as, of course, we all do...

JMO

From the few facts that we know, it seems the shooter was likely someone known to the victim and leads to the big question of WHY?? I hope the reward doesn't mean LE continues to struggle for leads.

It could have been the same home invader. Maybe they walked in through an unlocked basement door and ran into Paul. Maybe they just shot the gun so they could make a quick retreat.

Not all home invaders are "invasive, brash, reckless & hell-bent." One of the two guys who killed the Petit family, had quite a record of burglary. He would go into occupied homes, when families were in there, and they never noticed him. So some burglars can be very quiet.

It could have been the same home invader. Maybe they walked in through an unlocked basement door and ran into Paul. Maybe they just shot the gun so they could make a quick retreat.

Good point...

But... IIRC... The other home invasion happened 1-2 nights prior to PD's death...

Please correct me, Sleuthers, if I am wrong...

JMO

Many states have laws directed at home invasion & Michigan is one of them. I have not read the MI law, I was speaking about the generally accepted meaning of a home invasion: Multiple perpetrators unknown to the victim, forcible entry into an occupied private residence, with violent intent to commit a felony against the occupants, use of weapons and physical intimidation. That's how the term is used in my jurisdiction but you may know more about the inclusions & exclusions of the Michigan law.

Good point...

But... IIRC... The other home invasion happened 1-2 nights prior to PD's death...

Please correct me, Sleuthers, if I am wrong...

JMO

I thought the break-in was a day or so prior to the murder, but the report below states it was the same day his body was found. So, as usual, I'm confused.

"The roommates are also concerned because on the same day DeWolf's body was found, their home was broken into.

"We had our break-in around the same time and the fact that nothing really happens around here like that, so its a bit concerning," Granadas said."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/se_mich/autopsy-for-u-m-student-gunshot-wound

I thought the break-in was a day or so prior to the murder, but the report below states it was the same day his body was found. So, as usual, I'm confused.

"The roommates are also concerned because on the same day DeWolf's body was found, their home was broken into.

"We had our break-in around the same time and the fact that nothing really happens around here like that, so its a bit concerning," Granadas said."

http://www.woodtv.com/dpp/news/local/se_mich/autopsy-for-u-m-student-gunshot-wound

According to www.annarbor.com, a home invasion was reported to police at 8:30pm on July 23.
Here home invasion does not necessarily mean that the perpretrator carried a gun, or that people were
present in the home at the crime. From interviews it seems that this report is the theft of a computer
and a purse in a nearby house.
The body was found the day after the theft was reported.
Paul was killed either on July 23 or July 24.
This leaves open the possibility that the theft and the murder were committed by the same person,
on the same day.

Still, I believe this to be a coincidence. Murders are very rare in Ann Arbor, but thefts are not.
If this was a home invasion gone wrong there would be at least some signs of a break in,
of some type of struggle etc.

Not necessarily signs of a break in, if a person went in through an open door, for instance. Also not necessarily signs of struggle, if the person saw the victim and then shot the victim without actually physically fighting with the victim. I think it's a plausible theory at this point that somebody was planning to burglarize the place and happened upon the victim.

Not necessarily signs of a break in, if a person went in through an open door, for instance. Also not necessarily signs of struggle, if the person saw the victim and then shot the victim without actually physically fighting with the victim. I think it's a plausible theory at this point that somebody was planning to burglarize the place and happened upon the victim.

I cannot completely dismiss the burglar theory, but I think the reason so few clues have been found is that the killer
planned it that way.

An interesting question is: why shoot in the neck? was this a shot badly aimed in the general direction of the victim,
or a carefully chosen effective target?

An interesting question is: why shoot in the neck? was this a shot badly aimed in the general direction of the victim,
or a carefully chosen effective target?

I'm going with badly aimed shot fired in Paul's direction that happened to kill him.

Latest news is that the fraternity house now is in financial trouble. The fraternity has been in existence for 100 yrs. The residents don't feel safe living there.

The co-educational fraternity where University of Michigan medical school student Paul DeWolf lived and was found dead last month is going through a “financial crisis” because residents are moving out, according to an online fundraiser.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/...er-u-m-medical-student-shot-and-killed-in-ba/

Strange case.

Likely scenarios.
1.) Someone who was jealous of Paul DeWolf.
2.) A burglary gone bad.

I'm going with badly aimed shot fired in Paul's direction that happened to kill him.

Latest news is that the fraternity house now is in financial trouble. The fraternity has been in existence for 100 yrs. The residents don't feel safe living there.

The co-educational fraternity where University of Michigan medical school student Paul DeWolf lived and was found dead last month is going through a “financial crisis” because residents are moving out, according to an online fundraiser.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/crime/...er-u-m-medical-student-shot-and-killed-in-ba/

Well, now they are saying...

"With regards to our house, information posted in the previous story was inaccurate and outdated because the situation at the house has been moving very quickly because of the great efforts from individuals in the house that have been successful in saving the house from financial distress. The house is no longer in financial need and we ask no one donate on the fundraising link."

Also, do we know who was the last to see this man alive?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChasF419
Back