MI - Samantha Woll, a Detroit synagogue president, fatally stabbed *Arrest*

While this murder is not what I thought it would be, it does have elements of "overkill," considering Ms. Woll was stabbed 8 times. The accused murderer does not have a record of violent crimes - most of his criminal record consists of car theft and related activity. There are a lot of questions that may never be answered. Most thieves/burglars flee to avoid a violent confrontation. Thieves who break into cars at night where I live move quickly and flee at the first sign of a potential witness.

Of course, criminals can escalate their behavior. The accused could be mentally ill, either refusing or lacking access to treatment. The bloody jacket certainly indicates contact, and it sounds like police have more evidence. Hopefully more information will emerge. The murder weapon, if found, may have DNA.

While this murder is not what I thought it would be, it does have elements of "overkill," considering Ms. Woll was stabbed 8 times. The accused murderer does not have a record of violent crimes - most of his criminal record consists of car theft and related activity. There are a lot of questions that may never be answered. Most thieves/burglars flee to avoid a violent confrontation. Thieves who break into cars at night where I live move quickly and flee at the first sign of a potential witness.

Of course, criminals can escalate their behavior. The accused could be mentally ill, either refusing or lacking access to treatment. The bloody jacket certainly indicates contact, and it sounds like police have more evidence. Hopefully more information will emerge. The murder weapon, if found, may have DNA.
From descriptions of the type of crimes the perp has committed, it seems that he usually burglarized properties or vehicles in the wee hours. Most folks would be asleep, so he wasn't likely to encounter anyone while he went about his "business". If Samantha had been in an upstairs bedroom, she might not have been aware of someone entering her townhouse. Instead, she was likely startled and awakened by an intruder with whom she had a confrontation as he invaded her personal space. I've been wondering if the perp carried the knife with him or if he grabbed it from Samantha's kitchen counter or a drawer. JMO

Last edited:

She likely surprised him when he was creeping around the house and fought back when he attacked her. She was found outside with her phone after he fled , she was likely trying to get help but succumbed to her wounds.

We don't know if the eight stab wounds were all potentially fatal or not, if she fought back that might explain the number of stab wounds.

Without knowing more and as sad as it sounds, 8 stab wounds doesn't scream "overkill." For all we know some of the wounds were superficial and in any event, it could've taken less than 10 seconds.

• Sad
Reactions: IDK
She likely surprised him when he was creeping around the house and fought back when he attacked her. She was found outside with her phone after he fled , she was likely trying to get help but succumbed to her wounds.

We don't know if the eight stab wounds were all potentially fatal or not, if she fought back that might explain the number of stab wounds.
I thought it was reported that the 8 wounds were to her face/neck, which is not indicative of fighting back. Usually defensive wounds are on the hands and arms.

I must have missed that link. Would you post it again please?

"Jackson-Bolanos, who is not believed to have known Woll, is accused of entering Woll's Lafayette Park home and stabbing her eight times using a "straight edge cutting instrument," Wayne County Prosecutor Kym Worthy said."

and

"Elsey described the killing as a "crime of opportunity." He said the suspect had been prowling through the area in the late night stealing items out of cars in Woll's neighborhood when he entered her home and stabbed her eight times — "wounds in and around her neck, wounds designed to kill her," Elsey said."

Detroit — The attorney for the man accused of killing Detroit synagogue leader Samantha Woll said Wednesday he's waiting for prosecutors to turn over discovery that he says will show his client "had no involvement in this crime."

Michael Jackson-Bolanos, 28, is charged with fatally stabbing Woll Oct. 21 inside her home in Detroit's Lafayette Park neighborhood during what prosecutors say was a home invasion. Woll, 40, who'd been stabbed eight times, stumbled outside and collapsed on her front lawn, police said.

Jackson-Bolanos is charged with committing a felony murder during the perpetration or attempted perpetration of a larceny and/or a first-degree home invasion, which carries a life sentence. He also faces charges of home invasion, which carries a maximum penalty of 20 years, and lying to a peace officer, a two-year misdemeanor...

A preliminary exam will be held later this month for the Detroit man accused of fatally stabbing Jewish leader Samantha Woll.

At a probable cause hearing Tuesday in Detroit's 36th District Court, Judge Kenneth King set the preliminary exam for Jan. 16 for Michael Jackson-Bolanos. The preliminary exam is where prosecutors present some evidence and show there is enough to order the suspect charged to stand trial.

Tuesday's probable cause hearing was originally supposed to be held last week but was delayed to give Jackson-Bolanos's attorney, Brian Brown, more time to review evidence. Brown contends the evidence against his client is all circumstantial...

DETROIT – More information related to the fatal stabbing of Samantha Woll, a well-known Detroit synagogue president, may come to light during the preliminary hearing for the man accused of killing her.

Michael Jackson-Bolanos, 28, is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday, Jan. 16 for a preliminary examination hearing. Jackson-Bolanos has been charged with felony murder, and other charges, in connection with the Oct. 21, 2023, killing of 40-year-old Woll at her Detroit home.

The preliminary hearing is scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m. on Jan. 16. You can watch live in the video player up above...

DETROIT – More information related to the fatal stabbing of Samantha Woll, a well-known Detroit synagogue president, may come to light during the preliminary hearing for the man accused of killing her.

Michael Jackson-Bolanos, 28, is scheduled to appear in court on Tuesday, Jan. 16 for a preliminary examination hearing. Jackson-Bolanos has been charged with felony murder, and other charges, in connection with the Oct. 21, 2023, killing of 40-year-old Woll at her Detroit home.

The preliminary hearing is scheduled to begin at 11:30 a.m. on Jan. 16. You can watch live in the video player up above...
From the article here: Evidence, timeline in Samantha Woll killing unveiled in court hearing

“Sam Woll was found blue, barefoot and lying in the fetal position by a neighbor around dawn on Oct. 21, according to testimony from the man who found her.

Neighbor Kevin Mull, who lived near Woll in the Lafayette Park townhome community, said he discovered the 40-year-old synagogue board president on the sidewalk about 6:20 a.m. as he walked another neighbor’s dog.”
[…]
”Woll had a motion-sensor security system in place at her home, installed at the front door, back door, living room, and the door to her basement. Living room motions register about 17 feet into the home, Stockmeyer said.

At 12:31 a.m. on Oct. 21, when Woll arrived home from a wedding, Woll's front door was opened, Stockmeyer said, based on data retrieved via search warrant from ADT Home Security Systems. At 12:32 a.m, motion was detected in her living room.

Then, at 1:01 a.m., the security system showed the front door was left open, Stockmeyer testified. Another living room motion registered at 4:20 a.m. There were no other motion detection notifications until police came to her home later that morning.”

From the same article in my last post—Brown is the defense attorney for the accused, and I am wondering if the failure to “cross check” the latent prints on the spare key against Woll’s prints is a problem. Also, I’m perplexed by the implication that the autopsy on SW was conducted so fast that there wasn’t time to collect SW’s fingerprints…? I would imagine that SW probably had her fingerprints taken at some point in her life (for her work in politics or in her role as the leader of the synagogue)—couldn’t those be used to do this cross check?
“Brown also zeroed in on a spare key found at the scene, but the latent prints on the key were not cross checked with Woll’s prints because, Stockmeyer said, “the autopsy was conducted very quickly.” Woll was buried one day after her body was found, in accordance with Jewish tradition.”

Last edited:
From the same article in my last post—Brown is the defense attorney for the accused, and I am wondering if the failure to “cross check” the latent prints on the spare key against Woll’s prints is a problem. Also, I’m perplexed by the implication that the autopsy on SW was conducted so fast that there wasn’t time to collect SW’s fingerprints…? I would imagine that SW probably had her fingerprints taken at some point in her life (for her work in politics or in her role as the leader of the synagogue)—couldn’t those be used to do this cross check?
“Brown also zeroed in on a spare key found at the scene, but the latent prints on the key were not cross checked with Woll’s prints because, Stockmeyer said, “the autopsy was conducted very quickly.” Woll was buried one day after her body was found, in accordance with Jewish tradition.”
1. I don't see what relevance SW's prints would have (on her spare key or anywhere else). 2a. It wouldn't be surprising if SW's prints were found on the spare key (or anywhere else in her house). Even if so, so what? 2b. I wouldn't expect someone to have their fingerprints "on file" for being the president/trustee of a synagogue or from working as a campaign staffer.

1. I don't see what relevance SW's prints would have (on her spare key or anywhere else). 2a. It wouldn't be surprising if SW's prints were found on the spare key (or anywhere else in her house). Even if so, so what? 2b. I wouldn't expect someone to have their fingerprints "on file" for being the president/trustee of a synagogue or from working as a campaign staffer.
Would the argument be that perhaps the prints on the keys were NOT hers, and that perhaps someone else - maybe someone she knew and gave the keys to - used them to enter the home? Seems kind of irrelevant though if the door was open anyway. MOO.

Jackson-Bolanos was near Woll’s home shortly before she was found dead the morning after attending a wedding, authorities said, citing cellphone tower data. Police believe he was there when Woll’s home security system detected motion in Woll’s living room, where she was believed to be sleeping on a couch. The system also showed her front door had been left open, authorities testified.

Just speculating on possible scenarios. Could SW have been sleeping on the couch and left the door open because she was expecting someone and she fell asleep there and that person never showed up? Then, later in the morning, the suspect in the early a.m. hours was trying doors to see if any were unlocked, and hers was.

I remember a person who was detained initially during the investigation and he had stated to LE that he blamed himself for SW's death, or something similar. Could he have been the person who SW left the door open for but he never showed up?

All just speculation. Why would a person leave the door unlocked, especially since she had security on all the doors and basement in her condo, so she was security conscious, but left the door open that night.

Just speculating on possible scenarios. Could SW have been sleeping on the couch and left the door open because she was expecting someone and she fell asleep there and that person never showed up? Then, later in the morning, the suspect in the early a.m. hours was trying doors to see if any were unlocked, and hers was.

I remember a person who was detained initially during the investigation and he had stated to LE that he blamed himself for SW's death, or something similar. Could he have been the person who SW left the door open for but he never showed up?

All just speculation. Why would a person leave the door unlocked, especially since she had security on all the doors and basement in her condo, so she was security conscious, but left the door open that night.
That's where my mind went too. I'm wondering if the first suspect (who "felt responsible for her death") was supposed to come over that night but didn't. Or perhaps he dropped her off and didn't walk her to the door or something.

From the article here: Evidence, timeline in Samantha Woll killing unveiled in court hearing

“Sam Woll was found blue, barefoot and lying in the fetal position by a neighbor around dawn on Oct. 21, according to testimony from the man who found her.

Neighbor Kevin Mull, who lived near Woll in the Lafayette Park townhome community, said he discovered the 40-year-old synagogue board president on the sidewalk about 6:20 a.m. as he walked another neighbor’s dog.”
[…]
”Woll had a motion-sensor security system in place at her home, installed at the front door, back door, living room, and the door to her basement. Living room motions register about 17 feet into the home, Stockmeyer said.

At 12:31 a.m. on Oct. 21, when Woll arrived home from a wedding, Woll's front door was opened, Stockmeyer said, based on data retrieved via search warrant from ADT Home Security Systems. At 12:32 a.m, motion was detected in her living room.

Then, at 1:01 a.m., the security system showed the front door was left open, Stockmeyer testified. Another living room motion registered at 4:20 a.m. There were no other motion detection notifications until police came to her home later that morning.”
trying to understand this- she comes home at 12:31- she (?) is in the living room at 12:32. Why does it take until 1:01 am to detect the door is open? Does that mean he opened it? Would it auto lock or signal when she entered and left it open? No motion detection then until 4:20... so he was not in the living room? Was he elsewhere and then attacked her as he was leaving? Did he not find anything to take? Did he leave at 1:01 and she was staggering out at 4:20? Was he in the apartment and hiding when she came home?

trying to understand this- she comes home at 12:31- she (?) is in the living room at 12:32. Why does it take until 1:01 am to detect the door is open? Does that mean he opened it? Would it auto lock or signal when she entered and left it open? No motion detection then until 4:20... so he was not in the living room? Was he elsewhere and then attacked her as he was leaving? Did he not find anything to take? Did he leave at 1:01 and she was staggering out at 4:20? Was he in the apartment and hiding when she came home?
Was he already inside when she got home?

Was he already inside when she got home?
No, she came home, left the door open, went to the living room, was on her phone for 5 or 6 minutes and presumably fell asleep. Her alarm sensed motion at 4:20a.m., which aligns with when MJ was seen on nearby CCTV footage and when his cell phone pinged near her home. By 4:30a.m., MJ's phone was headed away from SW's condo and toward MJ's gf's house in midtown.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Inquisitive11201
Back