MI MI - Shiawassee Co., WhtFem, 17-18, possibly named Shelly or Michelle, 1988

This is a tough one. I'm leaning towards the victim's being someone who was never reported missing--possibly an orphan or someone estranged from her family--or someone who was written off as a runaway and never entered into Namus.

Age and date wise, Stacey Chahorski might be the closest match, but she isn't a very close one.

MI - MI - Stacey Chahorski, 19, Norton Shores, 15 Sept 1988

Bumping.... thanks @Richard for linking this thread (I think ;)) . I’ve yet to do any research but it’s interesting. I’d think maybe they’d go back after this much time of getting no real leads, and “renegotiate” with this inmate. Withholding his name for the sake of avoiding embarrassment to him or his family seems...well, I mean he is already a convicted murderer!

With Samuel Little, a lifelong, career criminal, he had an alarming lack of trouble recalling specific details about dozens of victims. Almost makes me think this particular inmate could have either been very young (making the choice to withhold his name more logical) or possibly his conviction involved a crime we might not immediately think of when we hear “murder”. For instance, a terrible accident involving a couple of teens hunting, boating, etc.

Something like that could be the reason no one has come forward with any related information. Just thinking out loud here. Hopefully there’s been something else released. (JMOO)

•MMcG•

Bumping this older thread up. It is now 35 years old.

Owosso, MI to Henderson Park = ~ 7 miles. Map of area below.

1678818787775.png

Former Shiawassee County Sheriff LaJoye dies

Allen James ‘AJ’ LaJoye, right, Shiawassee County’s longest-sitting sheriff, died Saturday, Jan. 21, 2023 He was 76.
LaJoye served as a detective for several years with the department before serving as sheriff from 1980 to 1996.

LINK:

Bumping this case up.

This is all I could find on the internt, and it is dated 2 June 2005:

---------------------------------
Shelly or Michelle...

The Shiawassee County Sheriff's Department and the FBI searched property on Middleton Road near Hickory St. for the body of a woman. According to a statement released by the sheriff's department, investigators got the information from a convicted murderer but had not found the body.

Investigators said they are not releasing the name of the suspect in this case, even though he already has been convicted in one homicide, in order to protect his family from embarrassment and keep his cooperation.

They are looking for a white woman about 17 or 18 years old who was 5-foot-6-inches tall and weighed 140 pounds. Sheriff Jon Wilson said her name may have been Shelly or Michelle. She had shoulder-length sandy brown hair and wore large pink frame glasses, according to the statement from the inmate.

She was described as having frequented the Tap Room Bar (old Owosso Hotel) in Owosso and spent time at Henderson Park. She may have been employed for a time by a business in the "Dutchtown" area of Owosso, in the neighborhood of Chipman and Stewart streets. The victim was said to have spent time with people who drove muscle cars or "high rise" four-wheel drive pickups.

Anyone who has information about this case is asked to call Detective Sgt. David Kirk at (989) 743-2202, ext. 2224.

LINK:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.prisons/browse_thread/thread/22ff961f52f04ed7/91b1183b2e57161b?q=%22Rachel+Mary+Scott%22#91b1183b2e57161b&ei=iGwTS6eaOpW8Qpmqic0O&sa=t&ct=res&cd=1&source=groups&usg=AFQjCNHcqjz2PfpU55eiUl239Re_zaKhuQ

Ok, I’m from Owosso.
If this girl was born in 1970-71, we’d be the same age, and have gone to the same high school (Owosso has one) most likely. If she frequented Henderson park and was from the Henderson area, she went to Owosso HS.
There is a chance she could have went to the HS in a very small town next to Owosso called Corunna (Corunna HS).

If she worked in Dutchtown, near Stewart St. and Chipman St., she most likely worked at Sir Pizza (my bet), Maron’s Market, Dutchtown Hardware or Herrands Convenience Store.

The Taproom did have a section for minors that didn’t serve alcohol, but I also remember that same establishment very briefly being called Michaels before it was the Taproom and I believe that was the time frame of the name change.

So if she hung out at the Taproom (or Michaels), and worked in Dutchtown, her age would be correct. However, I don’t remember any missing girls during my junior/senior years of HS. I will look in my yearbooks though for a girl fitting that description and I’ll try to find out if she may have went to Corunna HS.

I do remember a search for a body in the area mentioned at the time mentioned and nothing coming of it. I haven’t heard anything about it since.

I don’t know if any of this helps, but I’m a good source for the area.

Ok, I’m from Owosso.
If this girl was born in 1970-71, we’d be the same age, and have gone to the same high school (Owosso has one) most likely. If she frequented Henderson park and was from the Henderson area, she went to Owosso HS.
There is a chance she could have went to the HS in a very small town next to Owosso called Corunna (Corunna HS).

If she worked in Dutchtown, near Stewart St. and Chipman St., she most likely worked at Sir Pizza (my bet), Maron’s Market, Dutchtown Hardware or Herrands Convenience Store.

The Taproom did have a section for minors that didn’t serve alcohol, but I also remember that same establishment very briefly being called Michaels before it was the Taproom and I believe that was the time frame of the name change.

So if she hung out at the Taproom (or Michaels), and worked in Dutchtown, her age would be correct. However, I don’t remember any missing girls during my junior/senior years of HS. I will look in my yearbooks though for a girl fitting that description and I’ll try to find out if she may have went to Corunna HS.

I do remember a search for a body in the area mentioned at the time mentioned and nothing coming of it. I haven’t heard anything about it since.

I don’t know if any of this helps, but I’m a good source for the area.

As far as I know, this is still an unsolved case. It is connected with the statements and memories of a convict who could not provide more information than is contained in these threads. Because no body was ever found, it does not rank as high as other cases of missing persons, or known but unsolved murders.

A possible source of connections or clues might be High School reunion committees which conducted searches for class members. Sometimes there are former classmates that cannot be located and they seem to have simply disappeared.

Bumping. This rather vague case is about 35 years old...
So I have went through all of my yearbooks…. I researched anyone with the name Michelle or Shelly, anyone fitting the physical description (there was a whole lot of girls with those glasses in the eighties), and have reached out to people I knew worked in the same area and anyone I went to school with who I thought might be helpful, and so far nothing. I also researched missing persons databases in michigan for that timeline, again…. Nothing. I’m not done yet, I still have a few people I need to talk to and a couple more things to look into. I’m not giving up yet.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JustFab
Back