Found Deceased MI - Theresa Lockhart, 44, Portage, 18 May 2017

Patty and byo - thanks for the updates. I wish I could say I'm surprised. This just seemed really off from the start. The criminal history mentioned in the fox article also doesn't bring much comfort.

Thanks for the updates Patty and byo. Like MKZoo, I am not surprised that husband has been named as a person of interest. While I'm trying to hope Theresa will be found alive and well, with this additional information I have very persistent doubts.

The immediately surrounding State game areas can be very swampy in areas and also has spots that would be extremely difficult to traverse. The park and go is the easiest place to leave a vehicle in relation to the few surrounding public lands and still be within walking distance from the home.

Typically an absence entered into ASOP can't exceed two-three days without providing the school a Dr. note or special circumstance. Not entering an absence into ASOP would be a giant red flag as substitute teachers are only obtained after entering the absence. Prayers for a fellow teacher.

Missing teacher case is possible homicide; husband is person of interest

Snipped...
..."The key elements of it, the complete void of 'proof of life' for the duration of the time, the lack of communication input, and the lack of cooperation by the spouse, has refocused us," said Senior Deputy Chief John Blue, of the Portage Department of Public Safety. "At this point, we are moving the course of the investigation toward a homicide investigation."

Lockhart has not been seen since she drove away from her home in Portage at about 10 p.m. on May 18. Police have searched and say it is possible she may have simply left the area, but there has been no "proof of life."

http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2017/06/missing_teacher_case_is_possib.html

[h=1]Husband of missing Portage woman: ‘It’s an attempt to embarrass me’[/h]
PORTAGE, Mich. (WOOD) — The man detectives have identified as a person of interest in a Schoolcraft teacher’s disappearance denies any involvement.

Christopher Lockhart told 24 Hour News 8’s Lynsey Mukomel over the phone Saturday morning he has given investigators all of the information he has on his wife, Theresa Lockhart, and that he has been cooperative despite their statements to media.
Her husband cites a history with anxiety and depression, plus a potential non-renewal of her teaching contract after this school year as an explanation for her sudden disappearance.

Christopher said the district was trying to force her into resigning and she had been struggling the week leading up to her disappearance.

Dr. Rusty Stitt, superintendent of Schoolcraft Community Schools, told 24 Hour News 8 Saturday that Theresa initiated a potential resignation, however.

The district never received a formal resignation though and continues to pray she will return safely, Dr. Stitt said. Her contract runs through the end of this school year.

Her husband believes stress at work was too much and went on to explain that she received help in the past for her mental health without telling him.
“I’m terribly worried about her, I don’t know where she’s at… I’m holding out hope that, you know, nothing has gone wrong. There’s no evidence right now to indicate anything is wrong,” Lockhart told 24 Hour News 8.“…Did something bad happen to her? Yeah, that’s absolutely possible. But could she also have picked up and left and, you know, drove off and decided I’m going to start a new life somewhere with somebody else or did she check herself into a hospital? It’s like all these other avenues are distinct possibilities.”

Lockhart said for now his attorney has advised him not to answer detectives’ questions.
“I think the police just don’t have anything more right now and I guess they’re trying to shake some trees and see what falls out,” he said. “It’s an attempt to embarrass me and put pressure on me.”
After speaking with Lockhart, 24 Hour News 8 reached out to Portage Department of Public Safety Deputy Chief John Blue. He said Christopher should consider helping them find Theresa instead of obstructing their investigation.
Much more at link: http://woodtv.com/2017/06/03/husband-of-missing-portage-woman-its-an-attempt-to-embarrass-me/

Interesting how the type of person who makes their loved one's disappearance about them is also the type of person who gets named a POI. Or vice versa.

100% agree

Patty and byo - thanks for the updates. I wish I could say I'm surprised. This just seemed really off from the start. The criminal history mentioned in the fox article also doesn't bring much comfort.

IMO, he sure seems strange! :notgood:

Portage is not far from me at all, and yet today was the first time I saw an article about Theresa's disappearance. It's not sounding good, but I hope that against all odds she's out there okay somewhere.

from this article: http://woodtv.com/2017/06/03/husband-of-missing-portage-woman-its-an-attempt-to-embarrass-me/

“When she left I assumed she was going to get herself some help. That’s why I wasn’t really too worried about it at that point in time because I want to keep her issues private,” Lockhart told 24 Hour News 8. “…I basically told them the same story I’m telling you, that she up and left. She’s done this before. I didn’t think she had a job to go back to.”

BBM. For some reason, the phrase "I basically told them the same story I'm telling you" really jumped out at me. Not "I told them what I'm telling you". Or "I told them exactly what I'm telling you". My guess is that was a bit of a Freudian slip, and it is indeed a story- the type that is total fiction and fabrication.

I sbm
Because it's the end of the school year, and it seems like you would not take time off what with winding down, finals and such.

Definitely not. The end of the year is always extremely stressful for teachers whose evals & jobs depend on test scores

Quote tracker:
The NEWSCHANNEL 3 I-Team ran background checks on him in both Michigan and South Carolina where he went to college. In both states, Christopher Lockhart was charged with being a peeping Tom. But there are also more serious charges on his record here in Michigan. Lockhart was ordered to
have no contact with his wife last year. In November of 2016 he was charged with domestic violence against his wife, Theresa Lockhart. As part of the bond conditions, he was ordered to have no contact with Theresa. He was also ordered to remove all of his personal belongings from their Portage home. But just a few weeks later, records show Theresa Lockhart requested the "no contact" order removed. On November 29, 2016, the domestic violence charge was reduced to assault and battery. Christopher Lockhart initially pleaded guilty but just three months later the entire case was dismissed.
have no contact with his wife last year. In November of 2016 he was charged with domestic violence against his wife, Theresa Lockhart. As part of the bond conditions, he was ordered to have no contact with Theresa. He was also ordered to remove all of his personal belongings from their Portage home. But just a few weeks later, records show Theresa Lockhart requested the "no contact" order removed. On November 29, 2016, the domestic violence charge was reduced to assault and battery. Christopher Lockhart initially pleaded guilty but just three months later the entire case was dismissed.
Lockhart has also been charged with operating while intoxicated in Michigan and eavesdropping in South Carolina. http://wwmt.com/news/local/breaking-police-investigate-teachers-disappearance-as-possible-homicide

"There is a great probability that she is deceased," says Portage Public Safety Deputy Chief John Blue. He says police have become increasingly suspicious of Theresa's husband, Chris. They say Theresa's school, not her husband, reported her missing after she didn't show up to work for two days. Chris has not shown up to any of the vigils in his wife's honor. And police say, he is refusing to cooperate with detectives. http://www.mlive.com/news/grandrapids/index.ssf/2017/06/husband_of_missing_teacher_vic.html#comments

Police say Chris Lockhart has not allowed them to search inside the couple's home. http://wwmt.com/news/local/breaking-police-investigate-teachers-disappearance-as-possible-homicide

Lockhart is married with two stepchildren. Her sister, Joan, lives in Canada. She says Lockart's husband is the last person who saw her. "He wasn't aware, as far as I can figure out, that she had left the house at 10 o'clock," says Joan. "He said her frame of mind was good." http://wwmt.com/news/local/family-worried-about-teacher-who-seemingly-vanished

Lockhart told FOX 17 he’d been hesitant to speak about Theresa and what happened because he was thinking of her privacy. He said she suffered from anxiety and was having trouble at the school where she teaches Spanish in Schoolcraft. She even wrote up a letter of resignation, he claims.The night she disappeared, on May 18, he said she mentioned to him that she needed to get help. He then went to bed and when he awoke, he said he couldn’t find her anywhere in the house. He hesitated in contacting police because she's run away from home before, Lockhart told FOX 17. About 2-3 years ago, she left home without a word and checked into Borgess Hospital in Kalamazoo. “I don’t know what happened,” Lockhart said about her disappearance.http://fox17online.com/2017/06/03/missing-teachers-husband-i-feel-like-im-being-victimized/

[FONT=&amp]Lockhart has not been seen since she drove away from her home in Portage at about 10 p.m. on May 18.http://www.mlive.com/news/kalamazoo/index.ssf/2017/06/missing_teacher_case_is_possib.html[/FONT]

"When she didn't show up and she was supposed to be at my daughter's confirmation I was panicked, I was pacing in front of the church panicked," said Addington.http://wwmt.com/news/local/friends-pray-for-missing-teachers-safe-return

Being a peeping Tom is always a serious charge to me......it's just the tip of the iceberg (after studying way too many true crime cases). Moo

Hypothetical:
Convicted criminal husband physically assaults Mrs. Lockhart in early November. Husband sweet talks his way back into the relationship. Husband repeats this behavior, bruising her bad enough that she requested time off from work. Then she mentions leaving him and contacting the police. Perhaps he's on probation from the November incident and fears going to jail for violating probation (although being on probation would allow for an immediate search, so I may be wrong on that). Something bad enough happens inside the house that he won't let it be searched. Probably disposed physical evidence on the surrounding state/public land, parked the car at the park and go, then walked home.

Hypothetical:
Convicted criminal husband physically assaults Mrs. Lockhart in early November. Husband sweet talks his way back into the relationship. Husband repeats this behavior, bruising her bad enough that she requested time off from work. Then she mentions leaving him and contacting the police. Perhaps he's on probation from the November incident and fears going to jail for violating probation (although being on probation would allow for an immediate search, so I may be wrong on that). Something bad enough happens inside the house that he won't let it be searched. Probably disposed physical evidence on the surrounding state/public land, parked the car at the park and go, then walked home.
I can see this scenario playing out. Victims of domestic violence are most at risk when they finally get the courage to leave.

With his history and the prior domestic assault charges, it doesn't look good. What kind of evidence would they need to obtain a search warrant for the home?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Not looking good for Ms. Lockhart, unfortunately.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I can see this scenario playing out. Victims of domestic violence are most at risk when they finally get the courage to leave.

With his history and the prior domestic assault charges, it doesn't look good. What kind of evidence would they need to obtain a search warrant for the home?

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Could police maybe use Theresa's social media posts paired with the dv background with her husband to obtain a search warrant?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back