Found Deceased MI - Xin Rong, 27, Ann Arbor, 15 Mar 2017

I can try to understand suicide.. but jumping out of plane and letting it crash where it will is infuriating. Thank goodness no one was hurt. :maddening:

It's hard to understand, if he had the capacity to rent and fly a plane, couldn't he have done something else instead? But the mind gets fixated on suicide as the solution and doesn't recognize other options. I don't know in this case if he left a note, or what was in it, but some people just want to disappear off the face of the earth and never be found, others might want it to look like an accident.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

It's hard to understand, if he had the capacity to rent and fly a plane, couldn't he have done something else instead? But the mind gets fixated on suicide as the solution and doesn't recognize other options. I don't know in this case if he left a note, or what was in it, but some people just want to disappear off the face of the earth and never be found, others might want it to look like an accident.

Why not crash with the plane? Have they located his remains? Or is he alive / hiding out somewhere? Why did he want to disappear? Hmmm.

The condition of the crashed aircraft leads me to believe the doors were closed. So, the pilot exits the airplane, hangs out on the wing strut, and closes the door behind him? I mean, the propwash does make closing the door easier, but really? That is indeed going to great lengths...

This might be a suggestion worthy of the the Twilight Zone, but could the missing person possibly have put the plane on pilot, then hang glide eventually disengaging from the plane?
speculation, imo.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=hang...sAQIIA&biw=1024&bih=659#imgrc=H4YWB-RzvxZT5M:
attachment.php

Attachments

• josh_flying.jpg
    josh_flying.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 166
Renting a plane ... in order to jump out ... to commit suicide.

Rod Serling, is that you? Sometimes I think Websleuths should be called the Twilight Zone. Because crazy.

I could see someone panicking as they realize the plane is going to crash and decide to jump out. Taking their chances, perhaps they did have a parachute. Even if not I could see a jumper in a pending crash situation

Since this thread concerns a university student who may have committed suicide, posting this news link.
[h=1]University of Guelph execs go door knocking to check on students mental health[/h] by Liam Casey, The Canadian Press

Posted Mar 24, 2017

Top officials from an Ontario university took the unusual step of going door-to-door at campus residences three nights this week to check on the mental health of students.

It has been a trying time at the University of Guelph, where four students have killed themselves since the academic year began last fall, with the latest suicide occurring in January.

Thanks for posting that Dotr. I love U of G. Bless my fathers heart he worked there for many years until he passed. He would be happy they are doing this. Touches my heart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The condition of the crashed aircraft leads me to believe the doors were closed. So, the pilot exits the airplane, hangs out on the wing strut, and closes the door behind him? I mean, the propwash does make closing the door easier, but really? That is indeed going to great lengths...

To my knowledge, the condition of the aircraft at the crash site has not been disclosed, nor have any photos been released. The official statements from the University seem to indicate that they do believe that he jumped from the plane to his death. Which implies to me a few things.

-there is no record of the plane being equipped with a parachute, nor any record of this student getting access to one.

-there is no way he could have exited the plane other than via one of the two main cabin doors. So one or both doors must have had enough damage to determine that it's possible that one or the other were open or opened during the flight and possibly at the time of the crash landing.

"Both the active air and ground searches for him have been suspended," Brown wrote in the release. "University Police have reasons to believe his actions likely were an act of self-harm."

https://www.michigandaily.com/section/news/university-student-linked-plane-crash-ontario

Perhaps there is other information that indicates to the University police that this student intended to commit suicide that has not been disclosed out of respect to both him and his family?

MOO

It's rather hard to imagine dropping from the sky for the purpose of espionage, but especially not in Marathon.
The site of Canada's secret moose-breeding program?

However, I feel very sorry for this young man, a long way from home and perhaps feeling isolated and unsupported by family or friends.

I wonder if there has been any investigation into if he knew how to pack a parachute.

It's rather hard to imagine dropping from the sky for the purpose of espionage, but especially not in Marathon.

No, not spy business in Marathon; Canada would be simply for his unsolved disappearance. He'd get a new ID/passport in CA and return to China with the intel gathered via the Information Sciences program or contacts there.

IF this was espionage. Equal chance it was suicide I suppose, but seems an overly elaborate scheme for that, IMO. It seems it was important enough to leave the US (disappear in CA), which also allowed him to skirt customs and airport searches. This would be especially important if he got his new ID/passport stateside.

Missing: Xin Rong - NamUs MP # 37576

Xin Rong, 27, a PhD student at the University of Michigan and an experienced pilot, rented a Cessna 172 at the Ann Arbor Airport and had charted a flight to Harbor Springs. He flew out of the Ann Arbor Airport at approximately 1900 hours.*

When it crashed outside Manitouwadge, Canada, more than 400 miles away, investigators were puzzled by the empty cockpit and the lack of footprints in the snow surrounding the wreckage

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/show/37576

Sent from my 5054N using Tapatalk

Ive been following this since I am a fellow Wolverine and it made the front page of the Free Press here in Detroit. It is very strange to me that it has immediately been deemed a suicide? There is no body. No foot prints in the snow that he was even in the plane when it crashed. If you are going to commit suicide (and like someone else said, I by no means condone that), but if you are going to do that why not fly it into Lake Superior and go down with the plane knowing that you would not be harming anyone else. But jumping and not knowing where the plane would end up could have taken the lives of several innocent folks. It's just a very interesting case and to not have a clue about what happened to him is truly a mystery.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back