Missing Native American Women

Native women have been put, by many people, in such a class - different from the majority group, therefore often relegated to lesser value than other groups of human beings. And the result is that they are among the most abused group of people.

The recent Indian Market in Santa Fe had a focus on "missing and murdered indigenous women," inviting artists to honor these women through their work and advertising national hotline numbers for anyone who needs help.

This crisis has been going on for a long time, mostly under the radar.

American Indian women face murder rates more than 10 times the national average, according to the U.S. Department of Justice. Homicide is the third leading cause of death among women 10-24 years of age, and the fifth leading cause of death for American Indian and Alaska Native women between 25 and 34, based on data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

And 4 of 5 Native American women are affected by violence right now, according to Coalition to Stop Violence Against Native Women. (See CSVANW.org.)
Honor missing and murdered indigenous women

At least there are people advocating for the missing and unidentified Native Americans and the so called aborginals in Canada, that's positive, but only to replace what's not done by the goverment.

Shame on you America and Canada goverment for letting them down!!!

I actually saw a weird thread about this on Reddit. Iirc,it was actually a meme on the Native American sub making a joke about mom's always being scared their daughters would be kidnapped. I couldn't believe the discussion and how it wasn't all over the news.

So much sorrow, so much pain...

Nothing to hurt....I just listening to this music and want to join it with you.

What I actually want to say...My process, my path, My intentions are so intensily good, so much love I feel....learning….

Advocating for your sweet people is Janet Franson...with her Facebook Lost and Missing in Indian Country. Lost and Missing in Indian Country

Last edited:
Mind blowing and outraged when I read this..:
"Justin Schneider was in Spenard in August of 2017, when he picked a woman up at a gas station, took her to a dead end street at 36th Avenue and Wisconsin, choked her to the point of unconsciousness, masturbated on her, left her there covered in semen … and never was convicted of a sex crime."
BuzzFeed: Justin Schneider's victim speaks, first-time interview - Must Read Alaska
I fear that he did it before or will do it again!!

Most Indigenous murder cases fall through the cracks of bigotry and racism. According to the Urban Indian Health Institute (UIHI), a division of the Seattle Indian Health Board, murder is the third leading cause of death among American Indian/Alaska Native women. Approximately 71% of American Indians and Alaskan Natives live in urban areas, and Redding certainly is an urban location.

In 2016, the National Crime Information Center reported that “there were 5,712 cases of Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls (MMIWG). The U.S. Department of Justice’s federal missing persons database, NamUS, however, only logged 116 cases.”

Also, there is poor data collection by numerous cities. The problems of underreporting, institutional racism in the media, inadequate relationships between law enforcement (local, tribal, federal) and Native communities, and a lack of substantive relationships between news journalists and the Indigenous communities all still hamper proper documentation and reporting.

In the age of social media, there are several websites that people can search to learn about the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women and Girls epidemic. On Facebook, there exists a public group titled Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women USA.
Murder of Native woman in California still unsolved

Nice to see you IMSG ! Hope everyday is better than the one before. TYSM ❤️ for the articles we are more aware here, hope the nation's population will pay more attention. Can't change life on the Rez, but can change attitudes to a degree out here.MOO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back