GUILTY MN - George Floyd, 46, died in custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #19 - Chauvin Jury Deliberations #2

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tippy Lynn, May 26, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilovewings

ilovewings Well-Known Member

Good grief: what a poor choice of words--- Some of these politicians just need to stop talking.

2. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

It will be on some of these matters
    EXPLAINER: What next after Chauvin's conviction on 3 counts?

ut in this case, prosecutors are seeking a sentence that goes above the guideline range, called an “upward departure.” They cited several aggravating factors, including that Floyd was particularly vulnerable, that Chauvin was a uniformed officer acting in a position of authority, and that his crime was witnessed by multiple children — including a 9-year-old girl who testified that watching the restraint made her “sad and kind of mad.”

After the verdicts, Attorney General Keith Ellison said his office would be seeking a “fair” and “just” sentence. He would not be specific, but said: “We believe there are aggravating factors and the sentence should exceed the sentencing guidelines.”

3. kaen

kaen Trying to be a good human.

They work in their community so it is not so simple to change departments. They don't or won't be rats (also part of the problem I know). We all know how the blue wall works for those in the departments and those outside of the department. Most important in this is that I have always wanted my loved ones to come home alive at the end of their shift---so they have done what is needed to get along and make sure they are not left without their brethren. AND, this is why policy changes need to be made in many areas of departments. It is unusual to have what the MN officers did in coming out against this killer. We need policies that make it more realistic to do what is right and speak out.

4. margarita25

margarita25 Well-Known Member

(Ew, passing brain bleach)

5. Tom_Servo

Tom_Servo Well-Known Member

Testimony against Chauvin indicated if he had followed policy GF would be alive. The testimony would have us believe if all officers followed approved policy policing would be better. I agree with that. The Minneapolis Chief hasn't presented any "drastic" changes. There is no need for drastic changes. There is a tremendous need for police to follow existing procedures.

6. ZoriahNZ

ZoriahNZ Well-Known Member

Statement of Attorney General Merrick B. Garland on the Verdict in the Chauvin Trial

US Attorney General Garland makes an official statement, plus a reminder that they will be investigating further.

BBM

SBops, kimpage, misgrn and 8 others like this.
  7. jjs

jjs Waiting for justice...

I know I've been quite vocal about bad cops and interactions, but good cops do exist. I am not ACAB in the sense it generally means, but I do believe silence is compliance and the good ones do need to speak out. I understand the various reasons they don't, but I hope maybe this changes some of that.

I will give props to most of the ones I've had interactions with (again, I pass as white so I'm sure if I didn't I may have had different experiences). I did have one situation where my daughter was in the middle of a severe mental health crisis and they handled her very roughly. To the point she now won't even report her ex boyfriends severe physical and sexual abuse of her. Because she never wants to interact with them again. And I don't blame her, I was horrified at the way she was treated. But for the most part, the cops here have been fantastic and friendly and seem like some of the good ones.

8. SBops

SBops Well-Known Member

I am sorry, but I disagree. There should be much more emphasis put on de-escalation. It seems to be entirely lacking in most of US police forces.

Proudnanny, crhedBngr, Weki and 16 others like this.
  9. kittythehare

kittythehare Well-Known Member

10. imstilla.grandma

imstilla.grandma Believer of Miracles

I just cried so hardThis last hour my heart was beating so fast,” Frazier wrote on Facebook in response to the verdict. “I was so anxious, anxiety bussing through the roof. But to know GUILTY ON ALL 3 CHARGES !!! THANK YOU GOD THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOUGeorge Floyd we did it!!❤️❤️❤️❤️justice has been served✊”

Frazier was one of the prosecution’s witnesses who took the stand in Chauvin’s nearly three-week trial. She recalled the life-changing incident through tears, and said she wish she could’ve done more to help Floyd.

“When I look at George Floyd, I look at my dad, I look at my brothers, I look at my cousins, my uncles, because they’re all Black,” Frazier. “I have a Black father. I have a Black brother. I have Black friends. And I look at that and I look at how that could have been one of them … It’s been nights I stayed up apologizing and apologizing to George Floyd for not doing more and not physically interacting and not saving his life. But it’s like, it’s not what I should have done, it’s what he should have done.”
    People Are Thanking Darnella Frazier, Teen Who Recorded George Floyd’s Murder, Following Chauvin Verdict

kimpage, kakadu, BritsKate and 15 others like this.
  11. jjs

jjs Waiting for justice...

Poor Darnella. I hope she can find some peace. She was absolutely instrumental in this. She did what she could and it was astronomical, even if she thinks she could have been more. Without her, there wouldn't even have been a trial, IMO.

12. MTW2011

MTW2011 Well-Known Member

Now that we have a verdict, I'm going back and looking at some media reports that were from very early on in all of this.

Here's a clip from CBS, where a previous coworker of GF says that GF and Chauvin (who both worked at the same club at some point)....I was always curious why this seemed to be picked up by only some media, reported on a bit, and then not really reported on again much at all. Coworker thought Chauvin knew who GF was when he arrived on-scene. The club owner also described Chauvin as being "aggressive towards minority customers"

His coworker said they "bumped heads" and that DC was "extremely aggressive" before to patrons, and there was a situation where Chauvin was upset over his paycheck and how much he was paid and blamed George Floyd" for it. The manager there allegedly gave the paychecks in person to the inside employees but the outside employees, like Chauvin, got theirs from the inside employees (like GF who worked inside). I wonder if State will try to bring that up in sentencing ....?

Clip from CBS This Morning, they posted on FB--- George Floyd and Derek Chauvin "bumped heads" while working at nightclub, former coworker says

13. branmuffin

branmuffin On Time Out

Do you remember this lady? She has the unique advantage of driving around wearing body armour shooting at random vehicles and pedestrians yet managed to be taken alive. And not only that the poor thing eluded a heavy sentence because she was deemed not guilty by reason of insanity. But, IMO, her most unique advantage was that she was white. Policy has nothing to do with it.

Woman accused of driving around Hixson shooting found not guilty by reason of insanity

gitana1, BritsKate, 303gmf and 4 others like this.
  14. SBops

SBops Well-Known Member

Do you remember this lady? She was obviously mentally ill and hurt no one except for drivers having to avoid her, but this officer decided she needed over a dozen punches to her head. That is not how you police.
    California cop beats woman repeatedly on the freeway

GarAndTeed, BritsKate, Bravo and 4 others like this.
  15. branmuffin

branmuffin On Time Out

I have never seen that video. It's horrible. It's interesting that it appears a civilian helps LE subdue the women without beating the s**t out of her.

16. SBops

SBops Well-Known Member

And the officer could have too by talking. She was not threat to him. He was not in danger of her killing him with her handbag.

BritsKate, branmuffin and jjs like this.
  17. Katerz

Katerz Verified Insider/Robert Wiggins

apparently there are still violent protests going on. It’s hard for me to copy links and whatnot on my phone but apparently they were shouting F the national guard, ACAB (switched Bad with Castard but with a B), and climbed ontop of a semi truck to break its windows. I just.. I don’t know. The national guard comment sits bad with me due to my boyfriend giving 15+ years of his life to the army plus the last few years in the guard. This. Needs. To. Stop! So happy George got justice and this sets a precedent but the violence needs to stop!

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    Breathe, GarAndTeed, Bravo and 3 others like this.
  18. crhedBngr

crhedBngr Attempting to Keep Calm and Carry On.

Where is this happening? In the Minneapolis area?

I can't find any news on this . . .

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  19. SBops

SBops Well-Known Member

BBM For what did your boyfriend give 15 years to the army?

bluebird69 likes this.
  20. missy1974

missy1974 Well-Known Member

I hope your boyfriend stays safe.

The kids that did the walk out at school yesterday were also chanting National Guard, Go home yesterday :( I don't know where they start. From what I saw earlier, it was fairly calm.. nothing wrong with large groups showing solidarity and relief/celebration. Let's hope they prove everyone wrong and it stays peaceful.

Breathe, RANCH and BritsKate like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.