MN - George Floyd, 46, died in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020 #6 - Chauvin Trial Day 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Video currently showing his car mate and GF in what appears to be exchanging bills or ??? .. around 7:37 pm...dunno. His friend from car walks in, walks by GF two times and one pass appears a handoff of ???

Prosecutors play Cup Foods security camera video to jury of #georgefloyd in the store

https://twitter.com/ericchalouxkstp/status/1377271586017980422?s=21

Ex0NTNUWgAQ3Oj5

https://twitter.com/anavilastra/status/1377271701763932161?s=21

Cathy Russon
@cathyrusson
·

#DerekChauvinTrial - Looks like no motions/court business so waiting for the jury. Court should start around 9:30 ct/10:30 et.

Hansen was only on the stand for a few mins. Nelson had one ? - Did she show ID that she was a Mpls firefighter. She said no. Redirect - She didn't have ID to show as she was off-duty. Now next witness.

Next up is Chris Martin. He was working at Cup Foods on May 25, 2020. What made you notice him? "Probably his size. He was big.

Martin.jpg

Martin asked #GeorgeFloyd if he played baseball, Floyd said he played football. Martin says it took Floyd awhile to respond, Martin says it looked like Floyd was "high".

Martin says #GeorgeFloyd was in the store for a little bit. He thinks Floyd was in there to get some repairs done on his phone.

CCTV footage from inside Cup Foods on May 25, 2020. #GeorgeFloyd is in the black tank top.

Footage.jpg

Frank has Martin circle #GeorgeFloyd on the still shot.

Circle1.jpg

Martin circles himself in the video.

Circle2.jpg

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

No masks on anyone in the store! Wow!

Masks weren't required in Minnesota until July 25th.

Since July 25, 2020, per the Governor's Executive Order 20-81, people in Minnesota are required to wear a face covering in all indoor businesses and public indoor spaces, unless alone. Additionally, workers are required to wear a face covering when working outdoors in situations where social distancing cannot be maintained.

Face Covering Requirements and Recommendations - Minnesota Dept. of Health

Assistant Attorney General Matthew Frank asks whether Martin had any trouble understanding what Floyd wanted when he purchased a pack of cigarettes, Martin says no.

Frank asks Martin why he held up the $20 bill. Martin responds, “When I saw the bill I noticed it had a blue pigment to it.. I found that odd so I assumed it was fake”.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1377275419410497550?s=21

Masks weren't required in Minnesota until July 25th.

Since July 25, 2020, per the Governor's Executive Order 20-81, people in Minnesota are required to wear a face covering in all indoor businesses and public indoor spaces, unless alone. Additionally, workers are required to wear a face covering when working outdoors in situations where social distancing cannot be maintained.

Face Covering Requirements and Recommendations - Minnesota Dept. of Health

Thank you! I was just wondering because I realized this was right at the beginning of the pandemic - I think in most states they were even saying masks were unnecessary at this point

Frank asks about store policy regarding accepting $20 bills. Martin says if he accepts a counterfeit bill, he has to pay for it.

Martin describes continuing to look at the bill and then finally telling manager. He says Floyd had left the store at this point.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1377276456003379209?s=21

Martin says his manager told him to go outside and talk to Floyd so he says he did twice.

Well, she’s not just an average citizen. She’s a firefighter so she’s used to being in high stress situations to say the least. She also may testify in court at times as part of her job. LE, medics, firefighters testify all the time. My point is it is fair to hold her to a different standard of professionalism. This may be her first time testifying but it’s certainly possible it won’t be her last as a firefighter.

Obviously this event was traumatizing and stressful and no one can deny that. Judge Cahill gave her a lot of latitude. He’s been very attentive with everyone in that courtroom and makes sure witnesses and jurors especially feel comfortable. He’s one of the most attentive judges I’ve seen.

It’s ok for her to be emotional. But she wasn’t answering the questions and was being argumentative. It was explained to her to wait for the question and give yes or no answers. She ignored that polite admonishment. She wanted to advocate for a certain perspective but that’s not her job as a witness. She got progressively argumentative. And then got got snippy with the judge too. She obviously got a lot wrong about the scene, which is normal as a bystander but she didn’t want to acknowledge that. Nelson quoted the times medics were called from the CAD report and she flat out said she didn’t believe it and it was wrong!! Those are official business records that have been introduced in evidence. At one point right after she was told not to interrupt, she literally interrupted after the first word of the question. So if she’s irritable at being interrupted then the judge and Nelson have a right to be irritable at HER interruptions as well. And her opinions are not relevant and the defense has a right to object and the judge to sustain and cut her off. If she was indeed prepped properly, then it’s even more inexcusable IMO.

I personally didn't find her to be nervous at all.

As I've disclosed before I've been a juror several times myself, and the jury does watch, and listen closely to each witness including watching their body language, and how they answer all questions.

In the murder trials I've been on when a witness for either side came across as combative or even rude to either side or to the presiding judge it made the jury feel very uncomfortable to say the least.

There simply is no need to come across as snarky or argumentative no matter which side is doing the questioning.

The best witnesses are the ones who carefully listens to the questions asked first, and then calmly, and respectfully replies afterwards.

Like I said prior, I believe this witness, but felt very uncomfortable when she testified. She came across as if she felt she knew everything when she's really only been in this profession for two years.

I'm sure the DA has spoken with her since then like they usually do if they felt the witness didn't come across as well as expected.

It's not what she said in her testimony. Its how she said it especially to the defense attorney who was respectful to her when asking hus questions.

Being highly disrepectful to the judge is a big mo no. Jurors usually have a bond with the presiding judge, and seeing him disrespected doesn't go over well especially when there wasn't one reason to do so.

She forgets it seems this is his courtroom, and when he says something it must be respectfully listened , and adhered to immediately.

Jmhoo

Last edited:
Summary so far:

Cup Foods cashier Christopher Martin, 19, told jurors Wednesday morning that he was the man who took the counterfeit $20 bill from George Floyd.

Martin said he noticed Floyd was a big man, so he asked him if he'd played baseball. Martin said Floyd responded that he'd played football.

"It kind of took him a little long to get to what he wanted to say. He sounded a little high," Martin said.

Lead prosecutor Matthew Frank played for jurors about 10 minutes of video from inside the store, which initially showed Floyd acting restless as he flipped through bills before roaming the store. Floyd can be seen dancing in line before he tries to buy cigarettes and hands over what was later determined to be a fake $20.

Attorney Jerry Blackwell, for the state, said Monday that it was not clear if Floyd knew that the $20 bill was forged. But that regardless, it was a misdemeanor, minor crime.

After Martin sold Floyd a pack of cigarettes, store video showed he held aloft the $20 bill that Floyd paid with. Martin said he noticed the bill was likely a fake, similar in hue to $100 bill. He explained that the store's policy was to dock employee's salaries for the cost of counterfeit bills they accepted for purchases.

Martin told his manager his suspicions before leaving the store and walking up to Floyd's car.

Derek Chauvin trial live updates: Cashier who took George Floyd's counterfeit $20 bill testifies; video shown of Cup Foods interaction

Could that be just a price gun? (I know virtually nothing about firearms, but remember those pricing guns from working retail many, many moons ago.)
Looked like a gun to me. But now that you mention that, I will have to take another look...

Attachments

• Gun.JPG
    Gun.JPG
    25 KB · Views: 34
athy Russon
@cathyrusson
·
In top right corner of this shot is the separate area of Cup Food where cigarettes are sold. Martin is grabbing a pack for #GerogeFloyd.

Cigs.jpg

Martin says the $20 bill Floyd paid with looked fake. The store policy was if you took a counterfeit bill the employee would have to replace it with their own money. Martin said he decided to just pay for it himself, but then second-guessed.

$20 bill.jpg

Martin told his manager he thought the bill was fake. The manager told him to go outside, get Floyd and bring him in to talk about it.

We are about to see CCTV footage from the Dragon Wok restaurant across the street showing when Martin went outside to talk to #GeorgeFloyd. Judge calls for a stretch break first.

link: https://twitter.com/cathyrusson

Frank asks about store policy regarding accepting $20 bills. Martin says if he accepts a counterfeit bill, he has to pay for it.

Martin describes continuing to look at the bill and then finally telling manager. He says Floyd had left the store at this point.

https://twitter.com/callangraynews/status/1377276456003379209?s=21

Martin says his manager told him to go outside and talk to Floyd so he says he did twice.

Having to pay back money for accepting a fake bill doesn't sit well with me. Is that even legal? (sorry if this is OT) And having the employee go outside to confront the suspect?? I've been a retail and restaurant manager for decades and would never have my associates do any of that.

UPDATE from the courtroom: At 10:07am, Juror #7, closest to the wall, stands up and waves her hand, gesturing toward the door (maybe needs a bathroom? Not clear but she seemed flushed or perhaps ill, she appeared to be fanning herself). A break is called and she exits quickly.

https://twitter.com/paulblume_fox9/status/1377280176761921540?s=21

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member