MN - George Floyd, unarmed man killed in police custody, Minneapolis, 25 May 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.
From Police, experts condemn knee restraint used on George Floyd

Some police officials and experts said equally shocking was something not seen in the video: Other officers on the scene apparently did not try to intervene even as Floyd repeatedly cried out that he couldn’t breathe and moaned in pain.

“Any officer who abuses their power or stands by and allows it to happen does not deserve to wear the badge, period,” Chicago Police Superintendent David O. Brown said.

Hey everyone,

This thread is dedicated to discussion of the killing of George Floyd and the officers involved in that incident.

Obviously protests and riots are occurring as a result of this terrible tragedy, but please try to keep the focus of discussion on the case itself.

WS has tried to allow political/riot/protest discussion threads in the past and they have never gone well (understatement) and we just don't have the staff to deal with all the issues.

There are just some social justice issues that will never be resolved through discussion at Websleuths.

Please stay on topic.

Thank you.

From George Floyd: Police speak out against Minneapolis custody death

“I am deeply disturbed by the video of Mr. Floyd being murdered in the street with other officers there letting it go on,” Polk County, Georgia, Sheriff Johnny Moats wrote on Facebook. “I can assure everyone, me or any of my deputies will never treat anyone like that as long as I’m Sheriff. This kind of brutality is terrible and it needs to stop. All Officers involved need to be arrested and charged immediately. Praying for the family.”

Sadly, I can remember several cases when citizens, of different races, died in police custody from “positional asphyxia” - this is how what happened to Mr. George Floyd is called in medical terms.

- How is police training organized that situations like this even happen?

- in contrast to other cases I remember, Mr. Floyd appeared strong and healthy. How hard do you have to push on someone’s neck, chest and diaphragm to smother, for lack of a better term, a tall and visibly healthy man?

- Was it really necessary for the articles to mention that Mr. Floyd had spent 5 years in prison? He paid his debt for the society and until COVID, he was gainfully employed.

- How much does the policemen’s own fear contributes to situations like this?

RIP, Mr. Floyd.

From Police, experts condemn knee restraint used on George Floyd

Some police officials and experts said equally shocking was something not seen in the video: Other officers on the scene apparently did not try to intervene even as Floyd repeatedly cried out that he couldn’t breathe and moaned in pain.

“Any officer who abuses their power or stands by and allows it to happen does not deserve to wear the badge, period,” Chicago Police Superintendent David O. Brown said.

The other officers standing by and doing nothing is what truly disgusts me. In the shooting of Justine Damond, both officers immediately tried to render first aid. Another huge difference in those two shootings is that Justine's shooter wasn't immediately charged nor were there violent protests.

JMO

Beautiful memorial and great article about people local to this monument to Mr. Floyd.

Three days after his death, hundreds gathered again at the intersection of 38th Street and Chicago Avenue to remember George Floyd and call for change.

"I'm at a loss for words, to be honest," said DeAngelo Funches as he stood in front of the growing memorial in front of the Cup Foods store, where Floyd's encounter with Minneapolis police Monday evening took place. "This is right here, in front of me, that this happened."

Memorial grows, mural created to honor George Floyd

Gut wrenching that a child is so broken but poignant that art has begun to heal people in the community.

"The George Floyd mural was taking shape, one brush stroke at a time, over the last streets he walked.

An act of creation in the middle of so much destruction.

“I love that. That warms my heart,” said Diva Reynolds, smiling up at the tranquil image. “It looks just like him.”

She’s spent these days trying to comfort her 9-year-old daughter, Judeah, who had seen Floyd on the ground, handcuffed and helpless, pleading for help as a Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck."

While the Twin Cities region rages, a neighborhood grieves a singular loss

Sadly, I can remember several cases when citizens, of different races, died in police custody from “positional asphyxia” - this is how what happened to Mr. George Floyd is called in medical terms.

- in contrast to other cases I remember, Mr. Floyd appeared strong and healthy. How hard do you have to push on someone’s neck, chest and diaphragm to smother, for lack of a better term, a tall and visibly healthy man?

- Was it really necessary for the articles to mention that Mr. Floyd had spent 5 years in prison? He paid his debt for the society and until COVID, he was gainfully employed.

RIP, Mr. Floyd.
According to our local Police Chief, the choke hold used by the officer isn't acceptable under police training. Mr. Floyd was compliant, he wasn't resisting and he was being investigated for a non-violent crime.

This case has absolutely nothing to do with the police officer's "fear" and has everything to do with his need for total control. I wish one of the board's psychologists would weigh in.

JMO

RIP, Mr. Floyd.

People posted articles earlier about this type of "restraint", its dangers and the reasons that so few departments use it and other similar methods.

Minneapolis seems to have banned "warrior training" it in its training but the head of the police union vowed to use methods such as this --training people outside of the formal training.

(To be clear, training in this restraint was part of academy training when the killer went through.)

Warrior Training: "Experts say the training, which has been linked to high profile police-related killings around the country, including Philando Castille’s 2016 shooting death, also in Minnesota, often runs the risk of the use of unnecessary, and sometimes, fatal force:

This approach to policing is outdated and ineffective, says Stoughton, and, “some of it is dangerously wrong.” Samuel Walker, a criminal-justice professor and expert on police accountability, says the “Bulletproof Warrior” approach is “okay for Green Berets but unacceptable for domestic policing. The best police chiefs in the country don’t want anything to do with this.”

Citing the “killology” mentality, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey ultimately banned the training last year but the move infuriated Minneapolis Police Union President Lt. Bob Kroll. Shortly after the decision was announced, Kroll called the ban illegal and said that the union would continue to make the training available to any interested officers. “It’s not about killing, it’s about surviving,” Kroll said at the time." Minneapolis banned warrior-style police training. Its police union kept offering it anyway.

Last edited:
If she's a victim of ongoing domestic abuse, she's got the perfect opportunity to kick him out, keep him out and prevent the kids from getting anywhere near him. The expression on his face during those 8 horrific minutes show he is a man who demands to be in control by golly and his victim can beg all he wants and it won't change anything. Past reports of complaints about his misconduct at work increases the probability he was likely just as ruthlessly controlling at home.

JMO

Exactly. And who would want to stay married to a man like that anyway, once you'd seen the video of him murdering someone!

People posted articles earlier about this type of "restraint", its dangers and the reasons that so few departments use it and other similar methods.

Minneapolis seems to have banned "warrior training" it in its training but the head of the police union vowed to use methods such as this --training people outside of the formal training.

(To be clear, training in this restraint was part of academy training when the killer went through.)

Warrior Training: "Experts say the training, which has been linked to high profile police-related killings around the country, including Philando Castille’s 2016 shooting death, also in Minnesota, often runs the risk of the use of unnecessary, and sometimes, fatal force:

This approach to policing is outdated and ineffective, says Stoughton, and, “some of it is dangerously wrong.” Samuel Walker, a criminal-justice professor and expert on police accountability, says the “Bulletproof Warrior” approach is “okay for Green Berets but unacceptable for domestic policing. The best police chiefs in the country don’t want anything to do with this.”

Citing the “killology” mentality, Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey ultimately banned the training last year but the move infuriated Minneapolis Police Union President Lt. Bob Kroll. Shortly after the decision was announced, Kroll called the ban illegal and said that the union would continue to make the training available to any interested officers. “It’s not about killing, it’s about surviving,” Kroll said at the time." Minneapolis banned warrior-style police training. Its police union kept offering it anyway.

That union president sounds like a problem.

The former Minneapolis police officer charged in the death of George Floyd held his knee to Mr. Floyd’s neck for nearly nine minutes, including for two minutes and 53 seconds after Mr. Floyd became unresponsive, according to a document released by prosecutors on Friday.

https://www.scribd.com/document/463635920/Chauvin-Criminal-Complaint

Medical examiner concludes George Floyd didn't die of asphyxia

...”Medical Examiner's office is pending but so far has found "no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation."

Floyd's underlying health conditions included coronary artery disease and hypertensive heart disease. The report says the underlying health conditions, combined with Chauvin's restraint and any possible intoxicants...”

let’s see if this is used to exonerate the killer. -:rolleyes:

MOO- Yea I think the lengthy time spent in that position with the forceful compression, triggered the cascading events that directly led to his death.

And I feel fairly confident in saying he’d be alive and well had they simply cited him or called an ambulance the minute he said he was having trouble breathing and was claustrophobic... again just MOO.

Really wish Elon Musk would invent the do-over button

Will the family be able to bring in an outside coroner for an independent autopsy?

ETA: Yes, the family is enlisting an independent to do a different autopsy.

Last edited:
Did DC and GF know each other?
In the Daily Mail article above, the former owner of the club said:
While Chauvin's off-duty job at the El Nuevo Rodeo club stretched over 17 years until a few months ago, Floyd only started working there recently as a bouncer and only worked about a dozen events put on by 'African American promoters.'

Santamaria, who sold the venue within the past two months, said she doesn't believe the two men knew each other prior to their fateful encounter Monday night.

If Chauvin had recognized Floyd, she said, 'he might have given him a little more mercy.'

I'm not sure about the mercy part, but take from that what you will, that she didn't believe they knew/recognized each other, which I can believe.

According to our local Police Chief, the choke hold used by the officer isn't acceptable under police training. Mr. Floyd was compliant, he wasn't resisting and he was being investigated for a non-violent crime.

This case has absolutely nothing to do with the police officer's "fear" and has everything to do with his need for total control. I wish one of the board's psychologists would weigh in.

JMO
Yes, the officer had Floyd pinned down partially underneath the car, while the other officers warded off the crowd standing by on the other side, as if they were intentionally shielding him from his crime. After people called out that he wasn't breathing or moving, the officer continued to put pressure on his neck while staring at them with a smug and satisfied look on his face.

Any yes, that maneuver was banned by the mayor for this police dept a year ago, in April 2019. A member of LE spoke out about it publicly, stating that it takes away their control.

Imo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member