GUILTY MN - Heidi Firkus, 25, fatally shot, St. Paul, 25 Apr 2010 *husband arrested 2021*

Let’s keep this one alive! Heidi needs justice!

Nick Firkus’ second wife recently filed for divorce and has left him-hoping that now she’s away from him, if she knows something, she will come forward...

I’ve met Nick Firkus and he’s a real creep.

Someone knows something!!!

Let’s keep this one alive! Heidi needs justice!

Nick Firkus’ second wife recently filed for divorce and has left him-hoping that now she’s away from him, if she knows something, she will come forward...

I’ve met Nick Firkus and he’s a real creep.

Someone knows something!!!

St. Paul police announce arrest in Heidi Firkus cold case murder | kare11.com

St. Paul police say an arrest has been made in a cold case shooting death in 2010.

News of the arrest was first posted on the St. Paul PD Twitter page, which announced that a man was taken into custody in Mounds View Sunday by an SPPD SWAT team and booked into the Ramsey County Jail on suspicion of murder.

Husband arrested in Heidi Firkus' 2010 death in St. Paul

Heidi Firkus, 25, was killed on April 25, 2010. Her husband, Nicholas James Firkus, now 38, was arrested Wednesday morning in connection to her death, the St. Paul Police Department said in a statement to Bring Me The News.

Nicholas Firkus was taken into custody on a sealed arrest warrant by the St. Paul PD's SWAT team at his home on the 5000 block of Red Oak Drive in Mounds View, police said. He's been book into the Ramsey County Jail on suspicion of murder.

Heidi Firkus' family released a statement following news of the arrest:

“We're extremely grateful for all those who have worked so hard and long to get the case to this point. And also for everyone who has prayed and stood beside us all these years. We are hopeful that these charges will finally bring out the truth and result in justice for Heidi. Even though we know we can't have her back, we believe Heidi would want us to have the truth. God is honored by truth. Heidi's life and memory is further honored by truth.”

(from kare11.com)

Not heard of this before reading an article on the arrest. Looks like lots of the early links don't work, so just adding NF's privately commissioned artist sketch of the supposed intruder.

20140424__25firkusjp2.jpg

Heidi Firkus case: The lastest on unsolved St. Paul, MN, homicide

Not heard of this before reading an article on the arrest. Looks like lots of the early links don't work, so just adding NF's privately commissioned artist sketch of the supposed intruder.

That literally made me laugh. Of course. The old black suspect! Pairs well with the over used story of the assailant only killing the wife and leaving the husband with some scratches on his leg.
Glad Nick FINALLY got arrested.

New to me too. Thank you for the sketch. Reading through the thread it seems incredible, and unjust, that he has been able to live a normal and happy family life for so long since Heidi’s death.

His Facebook: Nick Firkus
Not much public on it other than a couple pics of his new family.

I came across this case when "someone" - sorry don't recall posted an article in the "Breaking News" thread.

Found another article & a bit more details on the 911.

Charges: Nick Firkus Shot Wife In The Back With Shotgun Amid Financial Troubles

May 20, 2021

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) — A 38-year-old Mounds View man is accused of fatally shooting his wife in the back with a shotgun the day before their home was set to be foreclosed on. He was arrested and charged over 10 years later.

According to the Ramsey County Attorney’s Office, Nick Firkus faces one felony count of second-degree murder in connection to the April 25, 2010 death of Heidi Firkus.
[.....]
On the morning of the incident, 911 dispatch received two hang-up calls from a cell phone registered to Heidi Firkus. A third call was made and Heidi Firkus told a 911 operator that someone was trying to break into her house, located on Minnehaha Avenue in St. Paul. Thirty-eight seconds into the call, she was giving dispatch the address when a noise similar to a gunshot was heard and Heidi Firkus stopped talking.
[.....]
According to the complaint, Nick Firkus gave differing accounts of the incident in several interviews. In the first interview, he said one or possibly two people broke into the house, that he got the shotgun and as they were trying to escape to the garage, one of the suspects was able to take the shotgun from him and shoot both of them. In another interview, he said that there was a struggle with the suspects, his finger slipped and the gun went off. He said he was shot during a second struggle with a suspect.
[.....]
According to the complaint, the evidence shows that Heidi Firkus didn’t know of the financial troubles or the foreclosure. The law firm handling the foreclosure only had contact with Nick Firkus. Heidi Firkus never mentioned any financial troubles to friends, family or co-workers.
[.....]
Axtell says the investigation never stopped, and he credits all the investigators who “poured their hearts” into the case, including Sgt. Nichole Sipes, who picked up the case 18 months ago.
[.....]
Nick Firkus was arrested at his home in Mounds View Wednesday morning and booked into Ramsey County Jail. He made his first appearance in court Thursday morning. If convicted, Nick Firkus could face up to 40 years in prison.

a lot more in the article.

Thursday, May 20th:
*First Appearance Hearing (@ am CT) - MN – Heidi Marie Firkus (25) (April 25, 2010, shot in back & died) & husband Nicholas Firkus (27) (shot in leg by alleged intruder) - *Nicholas James Firkus (27 @ time of crime/38) arrested (5/19/21) & charged (5/20/21) with 2nd degree murder.
The couple were allegedly shot by an intruder were facing eviction from their St. Paul home. Heidi Firkus was killed & her husband Nicholas was shot in the leg & wounded. Nicholas told the police that he & his wife had heard a noise near the front door. Firkus says he armed himself with a shotgun & the couple went downstairs to investigate & he struggled with the intruder. Firkus says his gun went off & his wife was shot. The struggle continued & the gun discharged again & shot him in the leg.
Timeline updated thru 4/11/11 see post #41 here:
MN - MN - Heidi Firkus, 25, St Paul, 25 April 2010 *Arrest*

5/19/21 Update: Firkus was arrested on 5/19/21 at his home for the murder of his wife. First appearance hearing on 5/20/21.

Last edited:
This is great news !!
It is indeed !
Thinking about Heidi's grieving loved ones at this time.
My heart goes out to them.
A beautiful young life snuffed out through evil and greed. :(

I never bought Nick's story.
If random burglars are going to shoot someone, chances are they'll go after the head of the household, or both spouses.
And esp. if there's a struggle--- that means the perps know their faces have been seen.
Just no.
It didn't happen.
Poor Heidi !!!!
Imo.

Still nothing on court site. Only a traffic violation in 2017....

What's it feel like, I wonder, when you've gotten away with murder for then seven years, when the cop behind you engages his lights and siren? Did he laugh to himself when all he got was a citation?

It's sickening he's had his freedom all these years. I hope it was at least cursed with fear of arrest. But somehow I doubt it. He shot his wife in the back. Normal human sentiments elude him. Clearly.

May Heidi's family finally get some kind of justice.

JMO

Got an article in my alerts.

Murder charge: Nicholas Firkus described intruder, but police didn’t find signs of struggle – Twin Cities

May 20, 2021
Though Nicholas Firkus told police 11 years ago about a life-or-death struggle with an intruder before his wife was fatally shot , investigators didn’t find evidence of any fight at the couple’s St. Paul home, according to a murder charge unsealed Thursday.
[.....]
Police arrested Nicholas Firkus, who is now 38, at his Mounds View home Wednesday. The Ramsey County attorney’s office charged him with intentional second-degree murder, not premeditated.
[.....]
During Nicholas Firkus’ short hearing on Thursday, Assistant Ramsey County Attorney Elizabeth Lamin requested bail be set at $3 million.

Oh dang - the article timed out for me - so didn't get past that last paragraph I posted....
Anyone else read past that? Could give a 10% synopsis on the rest? Maybe the next court date is on there?

Ah - found another article with his next court date. Still not in the court site.

Charges: Nick Firkus Shot Wife In The Back With Shotgun Amid Financial Troubles

Nick Firkus was arrested at his home in Mounds View Wednesday morning and booked into Ramsey County Jail. He made his first appearance in court Thursday morning, where his bail was set at $3 million. His next court appearance will be on July 1. If convicted, Nick Firkus could face up to 40 years in prison.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janisjoplin
Back