MN - JB, 15, kidnapped, Alexandria, 8 Aug 2017 *GUILTY*

As is Websleuths practice, the name and image of this minor victim of abduction and SA have been redacted from this thread.

I believe I have caught all instances where name or image appeared. If you see any I missed please do alert on them so I can do so. Going forward please use only her initials so that we here at WS can afford this child her privacy as much as is possible. Thanks, tlcya
Thank you for your hard work and dedication to protecting the victims, tlcya!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Her mom's been on the news locally.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

As is Websleuths practice, the name and image of this minor victim of abduction and SA have been redacted from this thread.

I believe I have caught all instances where name or image appeared. If you see any I missed please do alert on them so I can do so. Going forward please use only her initials so that we here at WS can afford this child her privacy as much as is possible. Thanks, tlcya

Thank you so much! :loveyou:

Authorities arrested these three men on suspicion of kidnapping, false imprisonment and assault.

They are 32-year-old Thomas Barker of Carlos, Minnesota.
20-year-old Steven Powers of Mankato and 31-year-old Joshua Holby of Carlos.
Police say JB knew Barker and got into his car when he said he needed help.

He restrained her with zip ties, repeatedly assaulted her and threatened her with weapons.

Holby and Powers lived with Barker and took part in the assaults.
http://www.wday.com/news/4323858-new-details-emerge-about-kidnapping-missing-teen

I can't get over how horrific this must have been for her. What a brave girl to have survived and escaped!

JB finally escaped late last week, when the three men left her alone for the first time in 29 days, while they traveled to a rural area of Grant County for lunch.

JB ran for help, trying several homes, before she swam across part of Thompson Lake to find a home where someone could help her.

Alexandria Police say they are still investigating the incident. They are now looking for more details about the rural area where JB was taken before her escape and are looking for her shoes and pants that were lost while she was swimming to find help.

Investigators are asking farmers in Pope, Grant and Douglas counties to check their corn fields for damage associated with vehicles driving through them, and for anglers at Thompson Lake to report any clothing located floating or on the shoreline.
http://www.valleynewslive.com/conte...o-safety-in-rural-Grant-County-442917113.html

I don't understand why the media continues to use her name and images of her. She's a victim and a minor and, afaik, she has not spoken to the press. In most other cases they would have redacted her name and just reported her as the 15 year old victim. :maddening:
I thought about that and did message one of the local stations (MN) that have been covering this case. I'll let you know what they say when/if they respond.

From KSTP Channel 5:
"Hi xxxx, upon learning of the sexual assault, we stopped naming the victim. That is a matter of our policy, however it is difficult to fully remove some past items online. Thank you for messaging us about this."

JB gave an interview to fox9 in the twin cities today. I'm sure you can find it on their website. Fyi.

JB gave an interview to fox9 in the twin cities today. I'm sure you can find it on their website. Fyi.

http://www.fox9.com/news/jasmine-block-describes-alleged-abduction-and-daring-escape

<Snip>
JB and her mother want to share the teen's story of survival and thank a community that never gave up bringing her home alive.

"I think she's a warrior,” said Sarah Block, J’s mother. "She's probably the strongest person I have ever known."

<Snip>

Redactions by me

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I think she's a warrior too. So glad she's safe and home. Prayers for her healing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JB has provided details of her harrowing 29 days in captivity. She is so lucky to be alive. Unbelievable!

Powers, a friend of Barker&#8217;s, showed up at the home about a week after the girl&#8217;s kidnapping. Barker told him not to enter his bedroom while he staying at the house, Fox 9 reported. But one day, he decided to take a peek, and found the girl in the closet. He never freed her or contacted police.

The girl told police Powers forced her to snort a line of &#8220;white powder,&#8221; the AP reported, citing a criminal complaint.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-police-say/?tid=sm_fb&utm_term=.ddb24cbf3ed8

According to investigators, Barker, who suffers from cerebral palsy, admitted he was on methamphetamine and booze.

J, now home, is starting to heal from the experience.

"Sometimes [I feel] good,&#8221; said J. &#8220;Sometimes not great. Like sometimes, I have problems sleeping because I close my eyes and I see their faces. I'm scared to sleep because I might have bad nightmares."

http://www.fox9.com/news/jasmine-block-describes-alleged-abduction-and-daring-escape

SO one of the linked articles stated Baker is the father of one of J's friends. I can't even imagine what is going on in that poor kid's mind right now. And Powers? WTH? You find some girl being held against her will in your meth buddy's closet and you just join in the abuse and abduction? This could so easily have ended with her dead (recalling Holly Bobo case)

JB is indeed a warrior!

JB's story is going to be on tonight's Ashley Banfield show on HLN, starting now.

I can't even believe this thread isn't longer...I just heard of this. This is absolutely insane. I am so glad she is alive and that three arrests have been made.

So happy for the positive outcome in this case (as positive as it could be under the circumstances) and the generosity and kindness shown by the man who gave her the reward money.

jasmineblock_case1.jpg

In July, Barker, 33, of Carlos, pleaded guilty to kidnapping, criminal sexual conduct in the first degree with a dangerous weapon and criminal sexual conduct in the first degree causing fear of great bodily harm.
Judge Timothy Churchwell sentenced Barker to 25 years in prison. He is also required to register as a sexual offender for the rest of his life, and after his release will be on lifetime probation. When he is to be released from prison, a petition can be filed to have Barker civilly committed, which means if the conditions are met, he would be confined indefinitely.
Joshua Holby, 32, of Carlos, pleaded guilty in September to two counts of kidnapping, a felony-level offense.

Steven Powers, 21, of Mankato, entered a guilty plea Nov. 28 to second-degree criminal sexual conduct and to kidnapping.

Both men will be sentenced in January.
First of 3 defendants sentenced for abducting western Minnesota girl who later escaped – Twin Cities

Joshua Holby, 32, was sentenced to 86 months (roughly seven years) in prison after pleading guilty in September to two counts of kidnapping, a felony-level offense. Under the guidelines and because he has no prior criminal record, Holby received the 86-month sentence.

Another man involved, Steven Powers, entered a guilty plea Nov. 28. An amended complaint was filed with the court that dropped Powers' criminal sexual conduct charge from count one to count two, a lesser charge. Powers pleaded guilty to the amended charge and also to the charge of kidnapping. He is expected to be sentenced to 104 months (about eight and a half years) in prison. His sentencing is set for Wednesday, Jan. 16, at 1:30 p.m.

https://www.echopress.com/news/4553...ars-second-man-jasmine-block-case-sent-prison

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back