MN - Justine Damond, 40, fatally shot by Minneapolis LE, 15 July 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
So disappointed in this development. Bad move on Hodges part. Harteau actually said what we needed to hear - Justine should not have died, and the actions of this Individual cop did not represent the Mpls police mission to protect and serve. At Hodges pressers we just get a lot of "I have questions and I want answers too." Unbelievable

I heard someone today express the opposite - they thought Hodges wouldn't fire her because it is too political before election!!!
I just watched the protest videos- wow!!!!!!!

How many others have noticed what the Mayor said........Minneapolis Police Chief Harteau says she agreed to resign following the mistaken shooting of a 911 caller.

Grammieto5 - you have noticed to too.

I think it's the closest she can legally come to calling it a wrongful shooting.

Hodges did the wrong thing twice.
Firstly Harteau said what everyone wanted to hear - as Kittycat3 has said - when Hearteau quit we would all speculate that she must have quit because of lots of pressure from above because she did not return sooner (from her vacation).
Hodges definitely should not have held a press conference announcing that she told Harteau to resign.....that is grandstanding.....Hodges was trying to make political mileage out of Harteau's humiliation. Justine Damond's death is now being used by Hodges in an attempt to be re-elected. Hodges is worse than Harteau.
I noticed that Hodges didn't have any security there to keep the unruly audience under control, the unruly audience quickly became a flashmob. They weren't fooled.

IMO, This is just all distraction now from the real issue of Why a young unarmed woman was shot and killed when in the process of being a good samaritan?

IMO, This is just all distraction now from the real issue of Why a young unarmed woman was shot and killed when in the process of being a good samaritan?

The only person (which would be the cop who shot her) who knows isn't talking.

Notice that the cop still hasn't been charged, even though he wouldn't even talk to investigators.

How pathetic, he is trying to use his 'friends' to get some sympathy before he has to make some sort of statement (assuming this will get to court). I assume when this gets to court he will have to make some sort of statement, even if it is through a lawyer.

How pathetic, he is trying to use his 'friends' to get some sympathy before he has to make some sort of statement (assuming this will get to court). I assume when this gets to court he will have to make some sort of statement, even if it is through a lawyer.

It is pretty easy to see where this is going. Yesterday members of the city council made a very passionate plea for a change in leadership of the MPD. There was pressure for the resignation of Harteau...not sure if she would have without the request of the mayor. From the comments of council they are also going to push the state for some changes in laws regarding using the self defense to justify such a killing. It seems that police are really getting a pass on having to prove a reasonable need to have used this force...all they have to say is they were in fear...thats it. I hope they push some legislation thru fast because that threshold is not enough. Because they are talking about this clearly they are expecting just that , a self defense case here...anyone waiting for anything more to surface in the way of explaining this will be waiting a very long time as there is no explanation. I assume he will be charged and we can start the whole legal process again here in Minnesota. Then I expect him to further try to gain sympathy by saying as a Somali officer he has to prove himself and on and on....and of course this is all complicated by a mayoral race this fall with no clear cut leader.but at least as a result this race and given the current mayor is running ,she may push much harder for some changes right now including implementing the technology that turns those cameras on automatically rather than rely on the officers...which obviously does not work. At this time they don't have it but the pressure is on to get it now!! All comments are opinion only.

The police department's internal affairs unit can compel Noor to give a statement as part of its own investigation, and fire him if he refuses, but that statement cannot be used against him in any criminal investigation, Friedberg said.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...-fired-fatal-shot-moments-loud-sound-48716962

"It's frustrating to have some of the picture but not all of it," she said. "We cannot compel Officer Noor to make a statement. I wish we could. I wish that he would make a statement."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ding-fatal-minnesota-police-shooting-48694394

You know, taking a ripe apple off the top won't keep the rotten ones at the bottom from spoiling the whole lot.

The police department's internal affairs unit can compel Noor to give a statement as part of its own investigation, and fire him if he refuses, but that statement cannot be used against him in any criminal investigation, Friedberg said.

http://abcnews.go.com/International...-fired-fatal-shot-moments-loud-sound-48716962

"It's frustrating to have some of the picture but not all of it," she said. "We cannot compel Officer Noor to make a statement. I wish we could. I wish that he would make a statement."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...ding-fatal-minnesota-police-shooting-48694394

Firing him is a start but will do little in the community in terms of holding him accountable. I have no doubt he will not longer be on the MPD..but I do have doubts that he will be held accountable in the way he should be.

Firing him is a start but will do little in the community in terms of holding him accountable. I have no doubt he will not longer be on the MPD..but I do have doubts that he will be held accountable in the way he should be.

I feel with the national/international coverage/knowledge of the events that led to her death. It will be more then firing. Jmo

I also feel that the mayor did not know the law in reference to him being "compelled" to speak.

Jmo I see her stepping down as well. Time will tell.

Where has the Governor been on this.?

I posted this commentary in the last thread (before the police chief resigned), but read it again this morning (and glanced at the 900+ comments that followed). Many of his opinions are interesting, but I focused on this one today - regarding negotiations with the police union.

"Finally, the council should make it known that it will no longer negotiate labor agreements with the police union (yes, my Carroll ancestors are no doubt rolling in their graves), because for years the union has done everything it could to defend unfit officers and to block reform. "

http://www.startribune.com/minneapo...-time-to-decide-who-runs-this-town/435274073/

I did some clicking and found the current (Jan 2017-Dec 31, 2019) agreement.

http://www.minneapolismn.gov/www/groups/public/@hr/documents/webcontent/wcmsp-200132.pdf

You know, taking a ripe apple off the top won't keep the rotten ones at the bottom from spoiling the whole lot.
Vail, that is exactly what I see happening!! Great comment!

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I feel with the national/international coverage/knowledge of the events that led to her death. It will be more then firing. Jmo

I also feel that the mayor did not know the law in reference to him being "compelled" to speak.

Jmo I see her stepping down as well. Time will tell.

Where has the Governor been on this.?

Good question on the governor...one statement by Gov. Dayton that I am aware of . Not much involvement. As to Betsy Hodges..I do not think she will step down with elections coming soon..I mean let the voters decide. My opinion is she is going to be all over this case to try to improve her chances of being re-elected. I live just next to Minneapolis..blocks from in in a suburb so will not have a chance to vote for/against her. I really hope that among the people running there is someone that is not an extremist and can step in and do better. In listening to her press conf. I am not impressed with Betsy.she often smiles like it is a photo shoot when the topic is so serious and repeats her buzz words...sometimes it seems more like a campaign speech and I hear many around saying the same.But I can say after seeing last nights' events that anyone doing this job is taking a risk to their own life and that of their family. it is a shame but going downtown these days where you need to park in a ramp etc. is just off the radar for many...again all opinion.

Hey turaj, good morning :) I'm glad you chose to stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500