MN MN - Nevaeh Kingbird 15, 'may have been compromised when she left a party', Beltrami Co, 22 Oct 2021

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
OCT 22, 2022
[...]

A year later, the widespread anger and sadness in the First Nations community remain.

“I hope I find some answers. I’m preparing myself for whatever answer that is,” Wind added. “You know, am I going to find her alive? Am I going to find her dead, will I find her ever? I can’t really explain how I’m going to feel because I take it one day at a time and some days I’m crying all day and some days I’m being strong and I’m able to communicate with other people.”

Anyone with information about Kingbird’s disappearance or possible whereabouts is asked to call the Bemidji Police Department at 218-333-9111.

Candlelight vigil held for Nevaeh Kingbird on 1-year anniversary of her disappearance

Dozens congregated at the intersection of Sixth Street and Minnesota Avenue as the sun set on Saturday evening to hold posters, light candles and listen to a drum group in honor of the one-year anniversary of Kingbird's disappearance.
In the past year, efforts to find Kingbird have everything from large-scale searches to community-wide rallies in an effort to raise awareness for her disappearance. Daniel Wind, Kingbird's uncle, told attendees at the vigil that the family still tries to hold small searches for her each Sunday.
"I know you all love Nevaeh and I want to let everybody know that we're doing everything we can with what we have," Daniel said. "We're not going to stop."
According to an Oct. 19 release from Bemidji Police Chief Mike Mastin, the department is still aiding in the search for Kingbird, as well as following up on any leads or tips that come in regarding her disappearance.

"Nevaeh's family, friends and the Bemidji Police Department continue to search and follow leads in her disappearance," the release said. "Bemidji police detectives continue to receive and follow up on all information related to Nevaeh."
Recently, Kingbird's family created a "Help Bring Nevaeh Home"

page, in hopes of raising money to help pay for their private investigator as well as any travel expenses related to the search.

Kingbird is described as a Native American female with a light complexion, 5-feet 4-inches tall and 120 pounds. She has brown eyes, long, dark-colored hair with highlights and a scar near her left eyebrow.

DEC 5, 2022

Nevaeh Kingbird

nevaeh_kingbird.jpg

15-year-old Nevaeh Kingbird was just a freshman in high school when she was last seen in Bemidji, Minnesota on October 22, 2021. According to her mother, Teddi Wind, Nevaeh had mental health issues and had been having a hard time in months before she vanished. Two of her friends had died by suicide in 2021 – one in April, the other a week before Nevaeh was last seen. Teddi told Dateline Nevaeh had run off before and was initially listed as a runaway. “She's bipolar, so she would get in her manic stage – sometimes she would take off on me,” she said. “But she would always keep contact with me.”Detective Dan Seaberg of the Bemidji Police Department told Dateline that Nevaeh was at a friend’s residence on the evening of October 22 and that is where her phone was found. She has not been active on any social media since, which is out of character for the teen. Detective Seaberg told Dateline in February 2022 that officials have conducted many searches for Nevaeh. “We did some ground searches, drone searches, and canine searches in the immediate area where she was last seen.” But they did not find anything of note. Nevaeh is 5’4” and weighs around 120 lbs. At the time of her disappearance, she had hair past her shoulders that she dyed jet black on one side and added a blonde streak through. Nevaeh has a scar above her left eyebrow. According to Nevaeh’s family, she may have been wearing a red sweatshirt that had a Chicago Bulls logo with a headdress on the front. The “Bring Nevaeh Kingbird Home” Facebook page posts updates and information about the case. Detective Seaberg told Dateline officials have no evidence of foul play but encourage anyone with information on Nevaeh’s whereabouts to call the Bemidji Police Department at 218-333-9111.

kingbird_nevaeh3.jpg
kingbird_nevaeh4.jpg
kingbird_nevaeh5.jpg
kingbird_nevaeh6.jpg
kingbird_nevaeh8.jpg

• Missing Since 10/22/2021
  • Missing From Bemidji, Minnesota
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Sex Female
  • Race Native American
  • Date of Birth 08/26/2006 (16)
  • Age 15 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'4, 120 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A black zip-up sweatshirt or a red sweatshirt with a logo of a bull wearing a feather headress, jeans, black slide-type Nike sandals with the Nike logo in red lettering, and unspecified outerwear.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Native American female. Brown hair, brown eyes. Nevaeh is an enrolled member of the Leech Lake Band of the Minnesota Chippewa Tribe, and can speak the Ojibwe language as well as English. She has a scar near her left eyebrow and a scar on the back of her left thigh, and her ears are pierced. At the time of her disappearance, Nevaeh had a blonde streak on one side of her hair.

Details of Disappearance​

Nevaeh was last seen in Bemidji, Minensota on October 22, 2021. She left a house party in the area of Carter Circle on the southern side of the city at 1:00 a.m. She was sighted leaving another residence in Southview Terrace Park, alone, at 2:00 a.m. She has never been heard from again.

Authorities initially thought Nevaeh had run away from home, but they began reconsidering this theory after months passed without any sign of her. The circumstances of her disappearance are unclear and her case remains unsolved.

Last updated February 17, 2023; casefile added.

"Running away" is a real problamatic term. It is basically a catch-all that seems to cover everything from "taking off to a friend's house without permission" to packing a bag and jumping a train across the country. I always say "classified as runaway" because the three women held captive by Ariel Castro in his basement for years were all classified as runaways, and every one of them was abducted.

In one article, mom mentions that Neveah was absent without permission in the past, but she always kept in touch with friends and family and was not gone long. Many teens will storm out of the house and stay away until they simmer down. If the parents are concerned, they will call the police and the child will be entered and classified as a "runaway". Most of the kids I knew growing up had at least one incident like that. I had several myself.

I'm from the Bemidji area originally, and it wasn't uncommon for a young person to leave the house and go from house to house with friends to hang out, visit, or look for a place to spend the night. In the 80's when I lived there, it wasn't even that uncommon to hitchhike between Cass Lake and Bemidji, as most of the people that stopped would be people you knew.

I guess what I'm saying is that you can't really count on whatever you see "runaway" meaning, because basically, it just covers any situation where a child is missing without the permission of the custodial adult and there is no overt signs of foul play.
I was wondering why the delay in reporting her missing, but according to the post at your link, her parents reported her as a runaway on October 22, the same day she was last seen. Sounds like she was at a party on the evening of the 21st, then seen leaving that place at 1am. She was later seen leaving a different house/location, alone, at 2am. So I'm guessing that when she failed to come home that morning or day of the 22nd, her parents reported her as a runaway.

I wonder if she had a history of running away, or whether the parents had some other reason for assuming that is what happened. I hope she just took some time alone with someone safe and that she is soon found safe and sound.

All MOO.

June 1, 2023 article - don’t believe I have seen several items of information as indicated in this link.

[…]

Almost two months after Nevaeh vanished, Neveah’s 12-year-old brother got a potential clue. He learned that Neveah and another girl had run to a nearby trailer of someone they knew and climbed into the window after fleeing the party.

[…]

MAY 6, 2023
[...]

During Friday’s event, several family members and loved ones of Indigenous men and women who have gone missing or been murdered had the opportunity to speak to attendees about their experiences.

A prominent topic was the disappearances of two missing Bemidji teenagers — Nevaeh Kingbird, who went missing in 2021, and Jeremy Jourdain, who hasn't been seen since 2016.

“Nevaeh Kingbird went missing not too far from here, toward where the walk turned around,” MMIW 218 organizer Simone Senogles explained, referring to the Nymore area of Bemidji. “She and another relative, Jeremy Jourdain, went missing from that same area of town. That’s partly why we walked up there, we wanted to honor them, we want to remember them and be in that part of town to make our presence known.”

[...]

Kingbird’s mother, Teddi Wind, spoke to attendees about her determination to find answers and her persistence in searching for her daughter and other missing Indigenous relatives.

“I want to tell you guys, miigwech, for supporting us through this tragic ordeal that we’re going through,” she said. “It’s been very hard on us, and our family and community are doing our best to try to find answers in my daughter’s disappearance. I just wanted you to all know that we will never give up on our efforts on searching for Nevaeh, or Jeremy, or anybody in the community that’s missing.”

[...]

051023.N.BP.MMIWWALK 10.jpg

Teddi Wind, mother of missing teenager Nevaeh Kingbird, left, embraces Theresa Jourdain, mother of missing teenager Jeremy Jourdain, during a Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women’s event on Friday, May 5, 2023, at Paul Bunyan Park. Madelyn Haasken / Bemidji Pioneer

[...]

AUG 10, 2023
[...]

Before every search, there's smudging.

"We sage ourselves in the morning before we go. I feel like it's for protection," Navaeh's sister LaKaylee Kingbird said.

On this day, a group of family and supporters came together to look for Navaeh. She was 15 when she was last seen in late October of 2021 in south Bemidji.

[...]

... Part of combing the grounds is to eliminate a theory that Navaeh Kingbird succumbed to the cold, and to give police reason to follow other leads.

"We also want to prove to them that if we don't find her in this area, we just want them to look at other theories besides they thinking that the elements took her," Wind said.

[...]

The next search for Navaeh Kingbird is scheduled for the last week in September. They are looking for volunteers. Here's a link to sign up.

If you have any information about Navaeh or Jeremy's disappearances, contact police. You can also submit an anonymous tip online to Crime Stoppers, or call 1-800-222-TIPS (8477).

Nevaeh-Kingbird.jpg

Two searches have been scheduled for Sept. 25 and 26 in Bemidji, the MMIR office said.

If you’d like to volunteer to search, you can sign up here; 100-140 people are needed to search community fields each day.

Eighteen team leaders are needed to support the search groups. If you have search experience, contact the MMIR Community Planner Ana Negrete at mmiroffice.dps@state.mn.us.

If you would like to donate refreshments and supplies for the search volunteers, you can sign up here.

SEP 24, 2023
Two-day search planned for Minnesota teen missing since 2021
Starting Monday, around 100 people are expected to turn out to look for a teenager who went missing in Bemidji in 2021.

On Sunday, the Minnesota Missing and Murdered Indigenous Relatives Office announced that it is working with the Bemidji Police Department, Indigenous groups and other partners to conduct a two-day search for Nevaeh Kingbird.

The search will take place on Monday and Tuesday and span more than 150 acres in Bemidji.

[...]

An organization called Bring Nevaeh Kingbird Home has been active in keeping her case alive and on Monday and Tuesday, Sept. 25 and 26, Bemidji Police will be the lead agency, along with the Minnesota Missing and Murdered Indigenous Relatives, in a large-scale search for Nevaeh in an effort to give her family, friends and those who care about Neveah some closure.
Tribal law enforcement groups and multiple Indigenous organizations will also take part.

June 1, 2023 article - don’t believe I have seen several items of information as indicated in this link.

[…]

Almost two months after Nevaeh vanished, Neveah’s 12-year-old brother got a potential clue. He learned that Neveah and another girl had run to a nearby trailer of someone they knew and climbed into the window after fleeing the party.

[…]
What happened to the other girl?

SEP 25, 2023
[...]

Monday morning, loved ones, law enforcement and the Missing and Murdered Indigenous Relatives Office came together to search a grid of 150 acres in Bemidji. It's the 13th search for Nevaeh, but it's the first time MMIR has collaborated to conduct a search this size.

[...]

Searchers are looking for any clue related to Nevaeh's disappearance. It's a continued search not only for Nevaeh but also for two other teens who went missing from the Bemidji community within the last decade. Jeremy Jourdain disappeared from Bemidji in 2017, and Damon Boyd vanished from East Grand Forks on his way to Bemidji in 2014.

[...]

SEP 25, 2023
[...]

“The grid search area is about 150 acres, and they've been broken up into teams. They each have team leads, which are law enforcement officers, we have communication and someone who has a little more extensive training in searching,” Mastin said.

“There's also canine search teams that are out there searching different areas. Really, they're out there looking for anything, they're looking for clothing, they're looking for things that might help lead us to answers.”

[...]

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sleutherine
Back