MN - Philando Castile, 32, fatally shot by police officer, 6 July 2016 #2

Forgive me - I don't get the relevance or importance of the link - something happened in 2011? I recently gifted a vehicle made in 2011 to my daughter - it's five years old but newer than the 2008 she had. I think it's old, she thinks it's new. So how is anything in 2011 relevant to what happened on the day PC was shot to death in 2016?

Looks as important as the weed in the car - meaning nothing to do with shooting PC to death. Fwiw, there is a thread on WS where many a white American WS poster has documented their former drug use - which included far more than weed.

I honestly don't get it. White is OK for drug use - past or present? Other colors are not? Kindly explain - trust I'm not the only one that doesn't get it.

For me its not so much the drug use, it is the drug use WHILE DRIVING that I find objectionable. Not kosher at all, that anymore than drinking while behind the wheel would be.

For me its not so much the drug use, it is the drug use WHILE DRIVING that I find objectionable. Not kosher at all, that anymore than drinking while behind the wheel would be.

How is that relevant?

IIRC The broad nose was what dispatch had given as part of a description of a suspect, if I am not mistaken that would have come from the person that placed the (911)call about a robbery, (if I am not mistaken). I can not find fault with what dispatch conveys to the responding officer. jmo idk

We have verified that the license plate mentioned by police in the recording matches the plate of the car Castile was driving. The location the officer gives also corresponds to the locations of the traffic stop.

“I’m going to stop a car,” the officer says on the recording. “I’m going to check IDs. I have reason to pull it over.”

“The two occupants just look like people that were involved in a robbery,” the officer says.

“The driver looks more like one of our suspects, just ‘cause of the wide set nose,” the officer continues.
http://www.kare11.com/mb/news/police-scanner-audio-1/267042738

I would like to know if Castile was impaired during the traffic stop and if that could have affected his behavior. Did he grab his gun without even thinking about it? JMO

Remember, the GF was video recording and uploading to facebook live after PC was shot, arguing with officers, instead of following the instructions from the officer, who had the gun pointed at her thru the window. She herself delayed getting out of the car, then she had to be "cleared" for weapons, and detained, while the child was removed, and PC was disarmed and removed to the ground. Roseville police were immediately enroute when shots were fired. 4 minutes seems pretty reasonable to do all those things, before CPR was administered. IMO.

I can clearly hear the officer yell at the gf to keep her hands where he can see them while she is still in the car and the officer has a gun pointed at her. She is speaking into her phone and not arguing with the officer. She was then removed from the car and handcuffed.

She did not delay getting out of the car or argue with anyone than I can see or have read.

Summit Avenue in St. Paul is once again closed down after protesters gathered outside the Governor’s Mansion Sunday evening.

Police had cleared the street after it had been occupied for two weeks following the death of Philando Castile at the hands of police on July 6, with protesters maintaining a presence on the sidewalk.

But the road is closed again, with more than 150 people gathering to reiterate their calls for justice over the 32-year-old St. Paul cafeteria supervisor’s shooting.

A St. Paul police spokesman told BringMeTheNews: “Summit is currently blocked due to protesters in the roadway. We are assessing the situation and considering our options. We have not made any arrests or issued any citations related to this closure.”

The Pioneer Press reports protesters say they have “no plans to leave anytime soon,” having blocked the street from 5 p.m. Sunday.

“This is an occupation,” protester Jacob Ladda told the newspaper. “This is our street, too. The people want justice. The system wants the street to be open. We don’t want to be here. We want justice.”

http://bringmethenews.com/2016/07/2...-castile-shooting-shut-down-summit-ave-again/

MINNEAPOLIS (WCCO) – A portion of Summit Avenue in St. Paul closed again Monday morning as people came together over the weekend to remember Philando Castile.

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2016/07/25/castile-candlelight-vigil/

A couple who live on the block but did not want to give their names for fear of retaliation said the protests had set a precedent that would forever negatively affect home values there. Nobody would want to buy a home on that stretch now, they said.

“We feel like we’re being sacrificed,” the woman said. “The (protesters) should be at the State Capitol.”

The couple said that they feel unsafe and are worried the protests could turn violent and “explosive.”

“There are children who live on this block,” the woman said.

http://www.duluthnewstribune.com/ne...gain-shut-down-street-front-governors-mansion

A couple who live on the block but did not want to give their names for fear of retaliation said the protests had set a precedent that would forever negatively affect home values there. Nobody would want to buy a home on that stretch now, they said.

“We feel like we’re being sacrificed,” the woman said.

Oh, the humanity. :rolleyes:

“We feel like we’re being sacrificed,” the woman said.

Oh, the humanity. :rolleyes:

There is a solution for them. They could join the protesters, and force the police to reform themselves, and retrain all police officers not to shoot first and ask questions later. Then innocent people will stop dying, the protests will stop, and their property values will go up again.

Got to love their pessimistic attitude though. We know the police are not going to stop killing innocent black people, and BLM is not going to stop protesting those killings, so we are just going to have to accept lower property values from all the social unrest. Because what ever we do, we don’t want to change anything. No change, no change.

I agree with the couple who actually LIVES on that block. A residential area is not an appropriate place for a "protest". These are private homes. These residents, IMO, have a RIGHT to NOT have to endure the actions of these lawless occupiers and protesters, who very well could turn violent at any slight or perceived provocation.

Just because no one has been arrested, and the police are forced via political correctness to be exceeding "tolerant" with this bunch, does not mean their assembly is legal. Any "assembly" or "protest" that prevents free movement of residents to or from their private homes, or blockades public streets, or highways, or private property, is illegal behavior. They should be asked nicely to move and disperse, and if they refuse, they should be arrested and removed. IMO.

An appropriate place for a more effective, respectful, lawful, and reasonable protest would be the MN Capitol grounds and buildings-- the PUBLIC spaces, near the OFFICES of elected officials. This ridiculous idea that anyone can "protest" anywhere they choose has to be stopped. There is a time and place for appropriate protests conducted lawfully. A residential neighborhood is highly inappropriate, IMO.

These people are protesting the wrong place, and the wrong person-- the governor has made (impulsive and offensive, IMO) statements supporting them. So why "protest" the governor, and the mansion?? Because it's highly disruptive and attention- getting. Not because they want to actually work to accomplish something. It's a block party AND a tantrum, IMO, very immature and childish behavior.

The homeowners should get together and sue the city, IMO. They should not have to put up with this kind of disruptive and illegal behavior, and indulgent policing.

And let's also remember how much it's costing taxpayers to police/ babysit these protesters, in addition to cleaning up the extensive mess that they leave behind.

I agree with the couple who actually LIVES on that block. A residential area is not an appropriate place for a "protest". These are private homes. These residents, IMO, have a RIGHT to NOT have to endure the actions of these lawless occupiers and protesters, who very well could turn violent at any slight or perceived provocation.

Just because no one has been arrested, and the police are forced via political correctness to be exceeding "tolerant" with this bunch, does not mean their assembly is legal. Any "assembly" or "protest" that prevents free movement of residents to or from their private homes, or blockades public streets, or highways, or private property, is illegal behavior. They should be asked nicely to move and disperse, and if they refuse, they should be arrested and removed. IMO.

An appropriate place for a more effective, respectful, lawful, and reasonable protest would be the MN Capitol grounds and buildings-- the PUBLIC spaces, near the OFFICES of elected officials. This ridiculous idea that anyone can "protest" anywhere they choose has to be stopped. There is a time and place for appropriate protests conducted lawfully. A residential neighborhood is highly inappropriate, IMO.

These people are protesting the wrong place, and the wrong person-- the governor has made (impulsive and offensive, IMO) statements supporting them. So why "protest" the governor, and the mansion?? Because it's highly disruptive and attention- getting. Not because they want to actually work to accomplish something. It's a block party AND a tantrum, IMO, very immature and childish behavior.

The homeowners should get together and sue the city, IMO. They should not have to put up with this kind of disruptive and illegal behavior, and indulgent policing.

And let's also remember how much it's costing taxpayers to police/ babysit these protesters, in addition to cleaning up the extensive mess that they leave behind.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

I don’t see any "except in residential areas” there.

I don’t see any "except in residential areas” there.

Thank you for being a voice of reason regarding this tragedy. If this was a family member I think some of the rhetoric dissenting protests would be looked upon in a different light. Painting people with a broad brush as a group disregards the fact each person is an individual with various reasons for their decisions. Mr. Castile died an unnecessary death @ the hand of a sworn officer of the law. This is a fact & a very sad one @ that. Praying for a just resolution of Philando Castile's demise.

I think it would be neat to see them go into a needy urban community and mentor kids in Mr. Castile's name. Whatever transportation they are using to get to the protest sites, perhaps they could offer to transport children to parks/playgrounds or unemployed individuals to job interviews or community services. I think that would be a great way to honor Mr. Castile's memory. :)

I think it would be neat to see them go into a needy urban community and mentor kids in Mr. Castile's name. Whatever transportation they are using to get to the protest sites, perhaps they could offer to transport children to parks/playgrounds or unemployed individuals to job interviews or community services. I think that would be a great way to honor Mr. Castile's memory. :)

Those are all great ideas. Who knows if they are doing that, or if another group is. I hope so. But how does all that address the issue of citizens being murdered by law enforcement officers? Giving someone a ride to a job interview is a great idea, don't get me wrong, but a ride and a job are not going to prevent the next shooting and will not make sure the next officer who shoots a citizen is charged, tried, and convicted.

Those are all great ideas. Who knows if they are doing that, or if another group is. I hope so. But how does all that address the issue of citizens being murdered by law enforcement officers? Giving someone a ride to a job interview is a great idea, don't get me wrong, but a ride and a job are not going to prevent the next shooting and will not make sure the next officer who shoots a citizen is charged, tried, and convicted.

That's an excellent point....if they were doing it, there's no guarantee the media would even cover it. :(

Or, maybe some in the community would be better served by an exhibit on how law enforcement officers and investigators work to investigate, identify, and pursue dangerous suspects who remain at large from armed robberies?

Or, maybe some in the community would be better served by an exhibit on how to behave and communicate when approached by law enforcement officers?

There are 2 sides to every encounter. At present, we have ONLY one side that is receiving any media and public attention: the interpretation of the encounter by the girlfriend, and those who think law enforcement is *always* predatory, racist, and wrong.

It's going to take quite a while longer, just as with Jamar Clark, and Freddie Gray, and Michael Brown, until we get to the truth.

I have seen that exhibit in the past, It is very educational and I highly recommend it

Summit Avenue that is filled with mansions? Hm.

IDK if there are "mansions" on Summit Ave. Regardless of size, design, & fair market value of homes in that block and that area, whether $25,000, $250,000 or $2.5 mil, residents may not welcome the disruption to their block & neighborhood.How many ppl would?

Anybody wanna park car a block or two away, then drag groceries back home? How about shepherding a babe in arms, a toddler, & a kindergartner to and from car & home in this heat? Or leave car on street, subject to vandalism or theft of. car, not protected in garage, not visible from home? Or usher grade schoolers back & forth thru this drill? Perhaps physical violence to all in neighborhood? If this is what residents must do, 'first world problems,' maybe, but doubtful this kind of assembly help secure sympathy or converts to the protesters' side. JM2cts.

Anyone know if protest leaders obtained whatever permit(or what-ev?) for this ongoing "occupation?"

https://twitter.com/Overnights_at_9/status/757463153273769985/photo/1

CoMMtVyUMAAAK0W.jpg

Yeah, residents *are* blocked from driving to their homes. And Summit as a through-street is also blocked. Apparently no one has any rights except protesters and occupiers. And apparently they can do whatever they please with no consequences at all.

Is Gov. Dayton even currently staying at the mansion?? He doesn't live there full time, as I've read. I suppose that doesn't matter. The Governor's Mansion is the symbolic goal for these protesters. Whether or not the Governor is *actually* there doesn't matter. Which is why they should take their protest to the public plaza areas around the Capitol grounds, IMO. Quit blockading private property, roads, and highways, and maybe more would be sympathetic to their cause. With this kind of disruptive and lawless behavior, they just anger an awful lot of people, and their message is completely lost, IMO. They are a problem, not a solution.

Anyone know if protest leaders obtained whatever permit(or what-ev?) for this ongoing "occupation?"

Snipped for focus, and BBM/U below. I doubt that any kind of "permit" was applied for, or approved, for a residential area.

Before protesters took to the street, Ladda contacted St. Paul police and the State Patrol to let them know it was going to happen.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/07/2...vernors-residence-closed-again-by-protesters/

That sounds like this guy made a phone call, or sent an email, or something. Not that he respectfully gained official permission for their occupation/ assembly.

Jacob Ladda, who said he has been camping in front of the governor’s mansion since July 7, said the shutdown would continue until St. Anthony police officer Jeronimo Yanez was charged in the shooting death.

“This is an occupation,” Ladda said. “We have the right to be here. This is our street, too. The people want justice. The system wants the street to be open. We don’t want to be here. We want justice.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back