MO MO - Donald Erwin, 59, Camden, 29 Dec 2013 *remains ID ongoing*

Police seeking new leads in 2013 disappearance of Camdenton man
According to the poster and details released by police at the time Erwin was reported missing, he woke his wife around 6 a.m. Dec. 29, 2013 and asked for a gift to go buy some cigarettes. His left leg amputated above the knee, Erwin was using his crutches that day and did not use a prosthetic.

Erwin left the house, saying good morning to a neighbor and got in his 2002 four-door Hyundai Elantra which had a sunroof and a large wooden cross hanging from the rear-view mirror. It bore the license plate MKG-E3P.

Anyone with information about the whereabouts of a man who went missing from Camdenton in 2013 is being asked to contact the Camden County Sheriff’s Office at 573-346-2243.

Hey everyone! I am the assistant to the host of Unfound, Edward Dentzel. He interviewed Donald's sister, you should check it out.

Here is my friend Edward's page. He is the host of the podcast Unfound. /m.facebook.com/profile.php?id=626269313&ref=content_filter

A podcast is a digital audio file made available on the Internet. It can be shared and listened to all over the world.

Here is a link to the cases he has done so far. UnFound--A Missing Persons Program | Free Podcasts | Podomatic

UnFound--A Missing Persons Program

Here is a link to the Unfound Podcast Discussion Group. Unfound Podcast Discussion Group Public Group | Facebook

Unfound Podcast, where the weekly Wednesday live video is done.
Unfound Podcast

Unfound is also carried online by a major newspaper. UnFound — A Missing Persons Program/

Unfound is also on YouTube. Unfound Podcast

OCT 25

Camden — Donnie Erwin was last seen by his wife on December 29th, 2013 after waking her up at 6am to use a gift card to buy cigarettes at a gas station nearly 5 miles from his house.

“She gave him the gift card and went back to sleep. When she woke up, he was not home yet, and she thought obviously that was strange because he was literally 5 miles from the gas station,” said Mindi Sales, a family friend.

More at Divers continue to look for missing veteran 9 years later after his disappearance

Dec 29, 2022

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. (KY3) - Donald Erwin disappeared nine years ago. The case rocked the community.

The Case:

Donnie Erwin, 59, is an army veteran. Due to some health complications, he only had one leg, making him recognizable. On December 29, 2013, Donnie asked his wife for a gift card to go buy some cigarettes. He left in his 2002 Silver Hyundai Elantra and never returned. That car is missing.

Erwin’s sister, Yvonne Erwin-Bowen, has led the efforts to find her brother.

“No, no communication, no, nothing just vanishes without a trace,” said Erwin-Bowen.

She remembers the day he went missing.

“It was around noon, and I walked in the door, and my husband was on the phone with my brother’s wife. He said it was Karen. He said Donnie was missing. All I remember is dropping my grocery bags, then getting on the phone with her,” said Erwin-Bowen.

He had a routine. Erwin spoke to his sister on the phone every morning.

“I can’t remember that last phone call from my brother. That was at 5:30 in the morning, and I was probably still pretty much asleep. He would always call and ramble. Sometimes I don’t know if I even listened to the conversation. You know, it was just the yep, yep. Yep. Because I wasn’t up at 5:30 in the morning,” said Erwin-Bowen.

One thing she does remember is a phone call from her brother the night before.

December 28, 2013

“About 8:30 that night, he called me, and then we were in the middle of the fight, watching the MMA fight. He asked me if I could hear him. I said, well, I can hear you now because they live in a trailer. If you know where I’m talking about, it’s an area that doesn’t always get a really good signal. I said, Well, I can. This time I said, you know, I don’t have a problem hearing you. The phone went dead, and to this day, I regret not picking the phone up and calling him back,” said Erwin-Bowen.

The Search

Sergeant Scott Hines was one of the detectives who started searching for Erwin.

“This is a case that still haunts me. I helped start working on this case in 2013. I’m still looking at this case. I read up on it all the time. I read all the supplemental investigations that we’ve written up on this over the years, hoping to find something that we missed,” said Sgt. Hines.

Erwin bought cigarettes in multiple places.

“The story he gave his wife was that he was going to go get cigarettes that morning. So we checked at the local gas stations where he would normally buy cigarettes.”

Sgt Hines says deputies started searching immediately.

“The first few days of a missing person case, the first 48 hours essentially are very important,” said Sgt. Hines.

“We responded back in the area. We conducted foot patrol searches, we conducted horseback searches, we had the Civil Air Patrol out, and we contacted the Missouri State Highway Patrol, their Water Patrol Division, to have them help us look by using their side scan sonar on their boats to search the lake. We searched every public boat ramp and every private dock in the area. There’s just no sign of Erwin or his vehicle.”

That vehicle, a four-door silver 2002 Hyundai Elantra with a cross in the mirror. Sgt Hines says they have even left the state searching.

“Over the last few years, we’ve searched in parts of Texas for Mr. Erwin, and every lead that we follow up on ends up in nothing.”

Erwin’s sister has never stopped looking for her big brother.

“We’ve done searches. I handed out flyers at four in the morning to the anglers when they have the Big Bass Bash down there. Who else to look for a car in the water but people that are really good at reading sonar? I did that for two weekends in a row. I’ve done the parades, the dogwood festival parades.”

She wants her brother home.

“If it’s God’s will, then I’ll find my brother. If I’m not meant to find him, then it’s not God’s will for me to find it. But the hope and the dream of possibly being able to bring him home and lay him to rest will never stop. I’ll always have that dream.”

“If he’s never found alive, I’ll live the rest of my life with a part of me missing. If he’s found, then I can at least close that chapter,” said Yvonne.

I just looked at the satellite images of the place I'm pretty sure he went missing from (based on public records). There are a LOT of retention ponds, sometimes within feet of the road. Considering his health issues and the fact the car hasn't been found, they need to be searching those ponds. I guarantee he's in one of them.

CAMDEN COUNTY, Mo. — A property owner contacted a CCSO Detective Saturday regarding the discovery of a vehicle in one of his ponds.

“Divers searched the pond and verified the license plate on the submerged vehicle matched the plate on Mr. Erwin’s missing Hyundai. With assistance from Bledsoe’s Conoco, investigators recovered Mr. Erwin’s Hyundai Elantra from the pond and notified his family of the development.”

Divers confirmed the license plate on the submerged car matched the plate on Erwin’s missing Hyundai. Investigators recovered the vehicle from the pond and have notified Erwin’s family of the development

206070037_Recovery_t800.jpg
After a joint investigation by the Camden County Sheriff's Department and Mid-County Fire Protection District, Donald L. Erwin's vehicle was pulled from a private pond. Erwin was last seen driving the vehicle in 2013

Erwin was 59 years old at the time of his disappearance. He has brown eyes and hair and was last seen wearing a blue coat, blue jeans and gray loafers. He is 5'8" tall and weighed 190 pounds when he went missing.

Erwin is missing his left leg above the knee and has a scar from elbow to wrist on his left arm.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
uncommongrackle
Back