GUILTY MO - Hailey Owens, 10, Springfield, 18 Feb 2014 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's the impression I got from the interview with his neighbors.

This leads me to wonder why a single man wasn't able to purchase a home & car in his own name.

Thats what I thought also. The outcome would have changed things, sadly. What a loser he is.

IMO this was his first time, not well planned at all, he was all over the place.
IMO if it had of been well planned he would have taken her out in the tote, that was probably already in his basement along with the one with his papers in it, when he went to the laundromat. Disposed of her somewhere, not left her in her home while he went there. He left her body in his basement, he left his clothes at the laundromat, this was not IMO a well planed thing.

The brazenness of abducting Hailey in daylight implies to me either a man out of control or desperation. That combined with the killing by gunshot to the head makes me wonder if this guy abused Hailey earlier (possibly at school), and she had told him she was going to tell on him -- he had to act fast before she could tell anyone.

Some snipped for space by me
Carlos Edwards deserves some kind of medal.
As well as his wife and the kid that chased him.

But he had neighbors, all around!! How did he restrain her while he was driving? How did he get her inside his home? Not like he had a garage with a door opener to pull the vehicle into. Very risky IMO.]
We know he had a gun and duct tape. I believe he pulled over and duct taped her and also threatened her with the gun.

Such a beautiful child.

I don't believe this was the monsters first time. He was prepared. Not his car, duct tape, bleach and boxes to hide her in. And he went to the laundromat to get rid of evidence.

I dread the coming weeks- how many students did he have access to, those poor kids. :banghead:
I, too, don't believe this is his first time. I'm left thinking did he kill others, too, or let them go with threats. I think he would have killed them.

I wonder if this is the vehicle that this guy usually drove. The title/registration may have been in his father's name, but the house was also jointly owned with his father.
I read in one of the many, many articles yesterday where the dad said that was the truck he (CMW) drove so I think it was purchased for him. The parents name is on the home as a co-owner. With that low of an income maybe the parents were helping him out as much as they could.

I haven't had a lot of time to get on here and haven't caught up on the first thread even, but I think I've read every article and watched every video out there locally. This community wanted Hailey found safe so bad.
I was on FB when the picture and story started coming out by KY3 (local TV station). Immediately I and everyone else on my feed started sharing this beautiful girls picture and asking others to share. It spread fast so for all the times I get mad about FB this is one thing I'm thankful for.
The witnesses did an outstanding job. Many wouldn't have thought to get that plate #. All three of these people are heroes in my book. God bless them!
I really hope this family can pull through this but cannot even begin to imagine how bad the nightmares will be, how many tears will fall, or how many times they'll think if only.
Thinking of the Owens family with love and prayers going up. We're here for you through it all.
May justice be swift and strong.

JMO

Wondering if there were uniformed police/police cars visible at his residence when he came cruising back to his house? Or undercover police awaiting him? He rolled right down his street seeing police?!

The brazenness of abducting Hailey in daylight implies to me either a man out of control or desperation. That combined with the killing by gunshot to the head makes me wonder if this guy abused Hailey earlier (possibly at school), and she had told him she was going to tell on him -- he had to act fast before she could tell anyone.

IIRC, she never attended a school where he worked.

I don't think Hailey and the perp had ever met before, it's been reported that she didn't go to the school he taught at.

Wondering if there were uniformed police/police cars visible at his residence when he came cruising back to his house? Or undercover police awaiting him? He rolled right down his street seeing police?!

LE must have been in UC vehicles/out of sight since he initially exited his vehicle with duct tape in hand...

"When Craig Wood stepped out of the truck, he had a roll of duct tape in his hands, which he threw in the bed of the truck, police say."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2014/02/20/missing-girl-abduction/5637043/

Does anyone know if he had just purchased the duct tape that was with him when he pulled back up to his house?

I'm sure they were hiding in plain sight....
Years ago my 18yo neighbor had fired his gun at his GF and fled. The police (swat team) surrounded his property and asked me if they could park in my driveway. They asked another neighbor also.

Is it normally for one to not appear there and why wouldn't they?

Also, when do they know if she was sexually assaulted? I am assuming that charge will later be added. I normally don't assume things, but can't imagine he didn't because why else take her. I hope with everything he didn't.

This charge would be added after the autopsy is completed and there was evidence of this. I don't know if this has been completed yet. Like everyone I hope to God he never did anything sexual but very sadly I don't think he would just abduct Hailey to tie her up and shoot her. He had a motive to do this and he needs to be charged for every single thing he did.

I wonder if this is the vehicle that this guy usually drove. The title/registration may have been in his father's name, but the house was also jointly owned with his father.

Wood didn’t socialize with his neighbors, according to Dena Atchley, who lives five houses away from him.

Atchley saw him drive his truck to work every morning, passing her teenage daughter who was walking to her bus stop. Wood never approached her daughter or spoke to Atchley

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2014/02/19/4834066/coach-and-teachers-aide.html#storylink=cpy

Slightly O/T:

I've noticed that for me, there is actually a physical effect on my body when things like this happen. It's so overwhelming that there is literally an internal struggle within myself to overwhelm these effects, and pull it together so I can do my job. I can literally feel a butterfly-like, sinking, empty hole feeling in my stomach. My chest is tight (pressing sensation), heart rate irregular, shortness of breath like a panicky feeling. Burning in my eyes that feel like a dam about to overflow...

For Hailey's family, their pain is uncomparable to anything listed above. If I was a family member, I'd probably be in the hospital. They would have to pump me full or drugs, seriously, or Id think I might keel over. May Hailey's family find all the strength, love, peace, healing, comfort possible at this indescribable time.

I noticed on the court record they have his parents address in Ash, Mo.

Mo courts many time use video appearances for arraignments. Especially in higher profile cases. It alleviates having all the security, etc. to bring them to the courthouse for a very short court proceeding. Bottom line it's cheaper for the county.

My first thought was he didn't know her and it was a random meeting. But then we read that the witnesses saw him drive up and down the block 4-5 times almost as if he's looking for her.

Did her neighborhood have meaning to him? I'd like to know if there is some type of history there. KWIM?

Interesting that the FBI collected his 4 or 5 bags of laundry from the Laundromat, but he was pulling up into his driveway with just duct tape. (I know the fbi collected the laundry hours later)

He left his laundry, while he went home...... instead of waiting for it to be done and bringing it home with him.

I am so sad and so angry that Hailey lost her life to this monster. When will this ever end? "We" as advocates need to stop ourselves from making excuses as to "why" this monster kidnapped and murdered Hailey, and start praising the acts of the witnesses who-without their care and concern, Hailey's case probably would never be solved. I am not only sad, today I am angry. I feel deep down in my soul that there are more victims out there -and this was premeditated. The "blackout" excuse does not work with me.
~fly free Hailey~

Does anyone know if he had just purchased the duct tape that was with him when he pulled back up to his house?

I would think it's doubtful that even detectives know at this point, since CMW isn't talking, unless they ran across a recent receipt. It wouldn't be unusual for him to have had the duct tape for quite some time, imo. It's also likely to have been used on "someone" before, imo. But it's a good question to ask & have answered, as another item in this case's evidence, or other missing cases.

BTW, sorry I didn't see your earlier post in 1st thread till recently. Answer was former LE, not current.

Talked to my co-worker whose son had CMW for ISS on Tuesday. Her son said that he acted normal didn't appear to be preoccupied or upset about anything. He said they talked about dogs (CMW just got a puppy and he was trying to train the dog to not bite), horses, sports and lots of other things. He was with CMW from 8:30 - 2:45. Now the thing that did bother her son and her is that they have ISS in a trailer not in the school and it was just the two of them that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod