MO MO - Janet Knife, 26, Jefferson City, 13 Nov 1986

Discussion in '1980's Missing' started by Romulus, Jun 28, 2017.

1. MadMcGoo

MadMcGoo Well-Known Member

I guess it would depend on a few things. I don’t know much about braces or how long they have to be worn. If I had to guess, by looking at her younger photos, she would have had to wear them for awhile in order to correct some of her dental issues. From what I can tell, she didn’t have them in 1977, at least not when the yearbook photo was taken. So I’ll say summer 1978 she got them. That’s about 8 years? I don’t think I know anyone who has had to wear braces that long. o_O

I’m no dentist and it’s still a little hard for me to see her teeth clearly, but I just wonder if braces alone would have corrected what I’m seeing? Idk... JMO.

ETA: here’s the best up-close I can get from my phone...
    3DB5877F-2FA8-4A53-AAD9-4658E9E7888E.jpeg

StarrChance and Bit of hope like this.

2. Bit of hope

Bit of hope Former Member

For convenience the links.

StarrChance and MadMcGoo like this.
  3. Bit of hope

For convenience the links.

StarrChance likes this.
  4. Bit of hope

You would have braces for 2 to 3 years. After that nowadays they put in a retention wire. I don't know if they did this in the seventies/eighties.

From a dentist side:
    At the end of the brace treatment when the tooth movement is complete, the teeth must grow and remain in their new position. A retention wire or retention bracket is used to stabilize the teeth. A retention wire, also called splint, is a metal wire that is glued to the tongue side of the teeth. In the beginning that feels strange for a while, but soon you do not notice it and you are used to it. The splint must remain in place for a few years after the active treatment. If you want the certainty that your teeth will stay upright for longer, we advise you to leave the splint as long as possible.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
  5. Bit of hope

And on what date the car was found.....and what was for her the logical/most convenient route? Were certain highways even there those days?

upload_2019-12-8_10-13-5.png

6. Bit of hope

I'm not sure what to think of all the rule outs from Virginia. You would think if you search you would look for UID's along the lines of the possible route and not a couple of states away. Or did I miss something?

7. MadMcGoo

I think Virginia is one of a couple of states, if not the only one, who tested just about all of their UIDs with MPs in NamUs. I’ve noticed especially since I started posting the ruleouts on threads here, almost all of them have at least one from Virginia. Though most of them have several...

Bit of hope and StarrChance like this.
  8. StarrChance

StarrChance Well-Known Member

So, death date 1986 but listed in 1993. Was 1993 a date when someone submitted for presumed death?

cial Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007

[​IMG]No Image
    Text-only collection

Name: Janet Elaine Knife
    [Janet Elaine Clark]
    [J Knife]
    Race: White
    Birth Date: 26 Nov 1959
    Birth Place: Versailles M, Missouri
    [Tuscumbia, Missouri]
    Death Date: Nov 1986
    SSN: 498749187
    Signature on SSN Card: Janet Knife
    Relationship of Signature: Signature name differs from NH’s name.
    Notes: 16 Dec 1975: Name listed as JANET ELAINE KNIFE; 24 Nov 1978: Name listed as JANET ELAINE CLARK; 27 Oct 1993: Name listed as J E KNIFE

MadMcGoo and Bit of hope like this.
  9. Bit of hope

Ah, thanks...good to know and good they do.

StarrChance, Luckyzmom and MadMcGoo like this.
  10. Bit of hope

Maybe there was a Mr. Clark who did this?

11. MadMcGoo

Learn something new everyday ...

Guide to Using Social Security Administration Records | Legacy Tree

“Social Security Death Index (SSDI)
    The Social Security Death Index is an index to all deceased individuals who have held social security numbers and whose deaths were reported to the Social Security Administration.”

J. E. Knife
    in the U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-2014

Name: J. E. Knife
    Social Security Number: 498-74-9187
    Issue year: 1975-1976
    Issue State: Missouri

“Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
    One additional online database should be included in any discussion of records of the Social Security Administration. Ancestry’s collections include the Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007. These are extracts of claims filed with the Social Security Administration, and include life claims for disability or retirement benefits, death claims for survivor benefits, applications for a replacement SS card, or applications for changes to a SS card (e.g., a name change).”

Janet Elaine Knife
    in the U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007
    Name: Janet Elaine Knife
    [Janet Elaine Clark]
    [J Knife]
    Race: White
    Birth Place: Versailles M, Missouri
    [Tuscumbia, Missouri]
    SSN: 498749187
    Signature on SSN Card: Janet Knife
    Relationship of Signature: Signature name differs from NH’s name.
    Notes: 16 Dec 1975: Name listed as JANET ELAINE KNIFE; 24 Nov 1978: Name listed as JANET ELAINE CLARK; 27 Oct 1993: Name listed as J E KNIFE

Here’s an example used on that link:
    17F672CD-9911-48B7-82FC-69FD2E89BB5A.jpeg
    “Priscilla had several name changes. According to her index entry, Priscilla Fay Bolling registered for a social security card in November 1943, changed her name to Priscilla Fay Ripley in January 1952, and changed her name to Priscilla Fay Reedy on 24 January 1978. She was alternately known as Mrs. John Ripley and Mrs. Priscilla Bailey.

Using this information, we located two marriage records for Priscilla:

9 September 1977—Priscilla Fay Ripley married Edward Carroll Reedy.

15 May 1943—Priscilla Fay Jones married Benjamin Franklin Bolling.

We did not, however, locate a marriage record for Priscilla Fay Bolling to John Ripley. However, because of the Social Security Applications and Claims Index entry, we know the marriage occurred, and when we found the record for the marriage of Priscilla Fay Jones to Benjamin Franklin Bolling, we knew we had the right person, and were able to obtain her birth certificate, confirming her parentage.”

12. MadMcGoo

I’m going to guess she was declared dead in 1993?

There’s not much detail when it comes to the circumstances of her disappearance, but usually if it doesn’t mention a spouse, I just assume the person didn’t have one at the time. Or they had one in the legal sense but not otherwise. Since both of her parents were alive in 1993 (and I fell asleep before I could find anything on her marriages ;) ), it’s hard to say who filed to have her declared deceased. Based on these two records anyway...

13. Bit of hope

I agree with the year she was declared dead. I find it somehow strange that in the Find a Grave memorials both her parents don't mention her as preceded them in death or even mentioned her as their daughter. Maybe they still hoped she was found and she could have her own grave/memorial. Don't forget to sleep............

14. StarrChance

StarrChance Well-Known Member

No mention of her is unusual, it seems she has four siblings. Sad nothing more is known publicly about her disappearance. Noticed though her family mostly is in Tennessee.

Bit of hope and MadMcGoo like this.
  15. MadMcGoo

**For clarification, I’m not sure why I inadvertently pasted her name as “Jones” here. It should have been Knife.**
    (I know most of you knew that :p)
    Could be why I’ve been thinking she was married twice :confused: Still can’t find anything else... One thing I’ve never been able to do though is easily spot a possible adoptee or whether someone shares a birth date with one or more sibling. OT, I’m not saying that’s the case here!

I just caught this BOH! You’re kind to say that! (And wise to includethat bad” :D)

16. Bit of hope

Could it be because her fathers name (and mother's married name) is Jones. Or they are the wrong parents. Made me think Janet maiden name is Jones.....It's of course possible she was a foster child and her maiden name is Knife.

17. Bit of hope

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs) Maybe this is her....found in Adger, Alabama, a 33 minute drive, Adult, 18-99 yrs. Unsure sex, uncertain race.....just a partial skull.....PMI unknown....so there is nothing to go on.... maybe there were some upper teeth still left....

[​IMG]

StarrChance likes this.