MO - Sherrill Levitt, 47, Suzie Streeter, 19, & Stacy McCall, 18, Springfield, 7 June 1992 #11

Status
Not open for further replies.
What does that matter? He had a bond much higher than Mike and Dusty. Even pre-fleeing.

It could have been for different reasons. If you don't have a stable home or tie to the area, if you have fled when charged with other crimes even if you've later paid your fines or done your time. People don't want to hunt you down when the time for your trial comes. Some people will stay in jail because a high bond isn't worth it and by the time they get to trial they'll have time served. I don't know Joe's situation these are just my thoughts.

ADMIN NOTE:

This post lands at random.

A Verified Insider is either an expert in their field, or someone who is connected to one of the case players (whether victim or POI/suspect) and who has inside knowledge of the case at hand.

Members can choose to either believe what the VI states or take it with a grain of salt and move on. Do NOT argue with them or make demands of them.

VIs are NOT required to provide proof / links to what they state as fact (whereas regular members are required to support what they state as fact with links to MSM/LE or public documents). Rumors and hearsay are not allowed, so doesn't matter who you know said what ... unless you are a VI or a regular member who can back up what you claim with a link, the post will be removed.

Members who treat a VI with disrespect are subject to a temporary or permanent loss of posting privileges.

For those wanting info on Joe being in town:

First source:
"NL, Missing, Day 24:
"The 21 year old man, Joseph Reidel, is jailed in Illinois awaiting extradition to Springfield on a fugitive warrant for institutional vandalism. The fugitive was believed to be in town when the three disappeared from Levitt's home. The fugitive is held in Lake County,IL jail on a fugitive bond of $100,000. He was arrested in Mundlein, IL, about 50 miles north of Chicago. Officials would not say if he lives there, nor would they explain the $100,000 bond. A June 22 Greene County warrant placed a $10,000 bond on him for the vandalism charge."

Second source:
Dustin Recla, 20, and Joseph Riedel, 21, were bound over for
arraignment on charges of felony institutional vandalism. Recla is
scheduled for arraignment Friday. Riedel's is scheduled for Sept.
Michael Clay, 19, did not appear. He apparently jumped bail and
left for California, where he was arrested last week for hitchhiking.
Dustin Recla, 20, and Joseph Riedel, 21, were bound over for
arraignment on charges of felony institutional vandalism. Recla is
scheduled for arraignment Friday. Riedel's is scheduled for Sept.
Michael Clay, 19, did not appear. He apparently jumped bail and
left for California, where he was arrested last week for hitchhiking.

Riedel left town for Illinois shortly after the women vanished from
Levitt's 1717 E. Delmar St. house on June 7. He was arrested there,
and returned to Springfield a month ago. He remains in jail in
connection with the Feb. 21 mausoleum break-in at Maple Park
Cemetery.
Police Sgt. David Asher would not say Wednesday whether Riedel has
been questioned about the women. End quote. News-Leader, Sept. 17,

I have other sources but to comply with Websleuths' rules, the above will suffice. That's two reports. Two different reporters and cops saying this.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    541.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    90.8 KB · Views: 8
Apologies to IrishEyesOfBlue on issue of Stephen Lada. I went back to look at documents and found that Frank Yankoviz briefly represented Mike Clay. However Lada was still a chair lawyer because he did indeed appear with Mike in court.

Why was one lawyer fighting for polarizing sentences? That's a separate issue to the 3MW but is interesting.

Article on Joseph Riedel being considered as one of "3 to 5 people" of strong interest by the police in regards to the women's disappearance. Attached.

And a third instance where it says he was in town.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    120.4 KB · Views: 32
This is a question to Irish and other forum members:

Why do you suppose, given the number of serious felons in Greene County and SPD custody at the time due to meth and more high profiled cases than the GR, would SPD spend resources and undercover tactics/harassing associates (Garrison--both at hotel and at home of JR/RS) of self-described bit players (Riedel, Clay, Recla)?

This is day 24.

Attachments

• day24clipping_36601652.pdf
    565.3 KB · Views: 10
This is a question to Irish and other forum members:

Why do you suppose, given the number of serious felons in Greene County and SPD custody at the time due to meth and more high profiled cases than the GR, would SPD spend resources and undercover tactics/harassing associates (Garrison--both at hotel and at home of JR/RS) of self-described bit players (Riedel, Clay, Recla)?

You realize they needed to rule them out? Three women vanish without a trace, they have to go through the obvious suspects. Garrison talked had people searching a farm that two other people were believed to be disposed of on because of drugs. I don't think those bodies were found. It might have made Garrion seem credible.

Attachments

• Francis_Robb_Sr_Jr___Officials_search_for_bodies.pdf
    364 KB · Views: 3
How do you suppose Garrison had a connection to the women? Seemingly random felon with a few gun charges and later convicted of rape after cops bonded him out of jail.

What do you suppose made some detectives think he was at the heart of this whole thing? (Quote from circa 2nd year anniversary News Leader article in 1994, before the grand jury indictments.)

He wasn’t picked out of a hat. And he hadn’t been a convicted rapist until 1994. So what made him so credible to detectives regarding THESE women?

He claimed someone at a party mentioned killing the women and the police found it credible. Who else is known to talk loudly at parties about crimes they’ve committed?

Last edited:
How do you suppose Garrison had a connection to the women? Seemingly random felon with a few gun charges and later convicted of rape after cops bonded him out of jail.

What do you suppose made some detectives think he was at the heart of this whole thing? (Quote from circa 2nd year anniversary News Leader article in 1994, before the grand jury indictments.)

He wasn’t picked out of a hat. And he hadn’t been a convicted rapist until 1994. So what made him so credible to detectives regarding THESE women?

He claimed someone at a party mentioned killing the women and the police found it credible. Who else is known to talk loudly at parties about crimes they’ve committed?

He took the police to a site where they believed other bodies were disposed of. I think they thought he had inside knowledge of drug crimes. If he did it didn't involve Suzie, Stacy, or Sherrill. I don't know how you can say that Mike, Dusty or Joe would be the only way the women could have come across Garrison. I don't really think he is involved but he sold drugs and liked teen girls. He could have sold weed to half their classmates.
Rape is underreported there might be girls that he victimized. If people bought drugs from him they are less likely to report being assaulted. This wouldn't be something Mike Dusty or Joe would know about. It doesn't mean he was involved in making the women disappear. Garrison probably raped other women or girls before he was arrested. MOO

Okay tell me how Levitt, Streeter, and/or McCall gets on Garrison’s radar? 160-170k people in Springfield. Garrison directly connected to Recla. What would he have to do with them?

Okay tell me how Levitt, Streeter, and/or McCall gets on Garrison’s radar? 160-170k people in Springfield. Garrison directly connected to Recla. What would he have to do with them?

If he is hanging out with teenagers he could have met them through anyone or saw them somewhere. I don't think he is involved but stalkers don't need an introduction. Men like him can see a woman or women on the street and decide they want them or they are going to follow them and maybe rape them. Saying hello in a store might be enough to convince a crazy person you want to be kidnapped.

The questions aren’t whether they took them or why they took them. It’s whether Joe actually passed or not.

Cops said Dusty and Mike passed. Didn’t give a confirmation on Joe.

So this whole thing is based on how one interprets Hutcheson saying one sentence on a document about the polygraph that the men are being truthful. Hardly a tally in the box for “things that are true.”

Given that the machines are wrong and Asher wouldn’t own up to it.

Reminder: Joe was in Springfield. And unaccounted for that night. Another reminder: Mike’s wife does not have discovery of Joe’s case. Just Mike’s.

Also why do people question Henson and Joy etc. when they were also polygraphed/interviewed by detective Worsham and Glenn and they saw nothing wrong with their timelines.

To put it another way: why are people picking and choosing when to believe cops?
Who could police not verify "Henson's Alibi" for that night and the next day........three solid months into the investigation?
They didn't just make that statement publicly, three months later, for nothing......so Why?

If he is hanging out with teenagers he could have met them through anyone or saw them somewhere. I don't think he is involved but stalkers don't need an introduction. Men like him can see a woman or women on the street and decide they want them or they are going to follow them and maybe rape them. Saying hello in a store might be enough to convince a crazy person you want to be kidnapped.
So you think it’s more likely that he met/knew of them randomly rather than through Recla? Interesting.

So you think it’s more likely that he met/knew of them randomly rather than through Recla? Interesting.

I don't know if I think Garrison is involved at all. People that abduct and rape don't need proper introductions. All of the women worked in jobs that put them around people. Two of them were high school girls out at graduation parties. There are a surprising amount of creepers you can meet in one night.

If Garrison is loved by cops enough that they rely on him for info even after multiple failed digs, and bonded him out of jail in order to obtain more info from him, I’d say it’s a higher chance than any other POI.

So if Garrison is indeed some arbiter of info for what happened that night—I would like to know how you rule out the Recla connection to Streeter.

If Garrison is loved by cops enough that they rely on him for info even after multiple failed digs, and bonded him out of jail in order to obtain more info from him, I’d say it’s a higher chance than any other POI.

So if Garrison is indeed some arbiter of info for what happened that night—I would like to know how you rule out the Recla connection to Streeter.

I think they thought he knew about other crimes. I think they were looking at drugs and other murders and if they could find Suzie, Stacy, and Sherrill it would have been a plus but not the ultimate goal. Or not based on his information. It didn't go anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kayle