GUILTY MO - Tyler Dasher, 1, Affton, 15 Nov 2011 - #2

I believe that in some cases we should perhaps revert back to "an eye for an eye". This is one of those cases. To know that, once again, an innocent and precious child was killed at the hands of the one person in the world that should protect them at all costs is making wish that the "mother's" life would be taken in the same manner in which she killed her child. Yes, I realize that sounds barbaric but at what point do we as a society put our foot down and say enough is enough?!? At what point do we realize that just because a person gives birth to a child it does not make them a mother? At what point do we realize that just because it is a "mother" that kills their child that they do in fact deserve the harshest punishment available? Perhaps when we make an example out of some of these "mothers" then others that come along after them will think twice and killing their own children.

MOO

Such a tragedy, such an emotional day. Anyone I know, would have loved to look into Tyler's beautiful eyes, and comfort him on their/his worst day. It makes no sense whatsoever. I bawled my eyes out reading this thread, watching the video of the vigil, and every other story today. It didn't have to happen! There is always a way out. I used to give myself a time out from my own kids. If I was frustrated, I would go into my own room. Yes, they would cry but in a few minutes, they would have their calm mommy back.

I hope they end up charging her with first degree murder. His death had to be brutal and very painful. She deserves a lifetime of pain. Although, by looking at her reactions, there is not a motherly bone in her body. :maddening:

Back when all of the information was coming out about Caylee Anthony's case I would get very upset at times when reading here on Websleuths or reading the discovery. Both of my daughters (14 and 9 now) would ask me why I was coming on here, why I was reading about the case if it was upsetting me so much. My answer was because someone has to give a d@mn about these kids. As much as it hurts our hearts to read about these things, to see the horrible methods of abuse that so many children have had to undure, we do it because we care. We do it because those children do matter. They did not deserve what happened to them but they do deserve to be remembered.

Today while I was making supper my 14 year old heard hubby and I talking about Tyler and the new developments. She turned around and said to me "Momma, I know you would never do anything like that to us because you love us to much. I know how mad you were at Casey Anthony and that you would not do anything like that." I told her she was right, of course I would never do anything like that to her or her sister. Someone else that hurts either one of my babies? That would be a different story!

MOO

I found myself listing to my local police/fire scanner tonight and a man one block away was sitting in someones back yard.. I'm my area you can't go outside past dark, not safe..but after a lot of these cases I'm wondering where is it safe anymore? My only answer is.... In my own home... I just don't understand why such sweet innocence was tragically taken from us.. Tyler dasher should of been a part of our future, now he's just a sweet little memory.

RIP little guy....

i've been thinking about this for a few hours now.....i'm assuming Tyler didn't pass right away...i just can't help but think the first time she struck him he would have screamed out how could she not have felt guilt and remorse for her own child? jeez if i bump into my little ones by accident and they sob i instantly feel terrible even though it was an accident.

I stepped away for a few hours to try to compose myself. I look at Tyler's pictures and cry like many of you. I keep thinking about shelby beating him to death. :banghead::banghead:That baby had to look into the eyes of the person he loved the most while she beat him over and over again. Tyler wanted nothing more than his mothers love. I am so sick.

The ---------- went home and went to sleep after she dumped this baby in the cemetary.
No I don't feel remorse because I hope she rots in he77.

Back when all of the information was coming out about Caylee Anthony's case I would get very upset at times when reading here on Websleuths or reading the discovery. Both of my daughters (14 and 9 now) would ask me why I was coming on here, why I was reading about the case if it was upsetting me so much. My answer was because someone has to give a d@mn about these kids. As much as it hurts our hearts to read about these things, to see the horrible methods of abuse that so many children have had to undure, we do it because we care. We do it because those children do matter. They did not deserve what happened to them but they do deserve to be remembered.

Today while I was making supper my 14 year old heard hubby and I talking about Tyler and the new developments. She turned around and said to me "Momma, I know you would never do anything like that to us because you love us to much. I know how mad you were at Casey Anthony and that you would not do anything like that." I told her she was right, of course I would never do anything like that to her or her sister. Someone else that hurts either one of my babies? That would be a different story!

MOO

I agree with every word you wrote.

What in the Hot place is it with the world? What?

Oh little Tyler. I too join all the people who are so sorry sweetie amn who cry for you, for all tjhis.

I believe that in some cases we should perhaps revert back to "an eye for an eye". This is one of those cases. To know that, once again, an innocent and precious child was killed at the hands of the one person in the world that should protect them at all costs is making wish that the "mother's" life would be taken in the same manner in which she killed her child. Yes, I realize that sounds barbaric but at what point do we as a society put our foot down and say enough is enough?!? At what point do we realize that just because a person gives birth to a child it does not make them a mother? At what point do we realize that just because it is a "mother" that kills their child that they do in fact deserve the harshest punishment available? Perhaps when we make an example out of some of these "mothers" then others that come along after them will think twice about killing their own children.

MOO

Torismom, quite an excellent post. :grouphug:

Thank goodness that experienced detective was working that day.

This case is sad, depressing, anger-inducing, and just all around really, really awful.

Poor Baby Tyler. He was unlucky enough to be Shelby Dasher's child. How I wish he had been with someone who wanted to be a mother.

i've been thinking about this for a few hours now.....i'm assuming Tyler didn't pass right away...i just can't help but think the first time she struck him he would have screamed out how could she not have felt guilt and remorse for her own child? jeez if i bump into my little ones by accident and they sob i instantly feel terrible even though it was an accident.

From the article:
St. Louis County Lt. Gary Guinn knew he wasn't dealing with a normal missing child case within 10 minutes of arriving Tuesday at the home of Shelby Dasher and her mother, Christine Dasher.
Christine Dasher was hysterical. Shelby Dasher, 20, was calm — not the expected reaction from a woman who had just reported that her 1-year-old son, Tyler, had vanished from his crib, Guinn said.

The medical examiner determined Tyler died from blunt force trauma to the head.
Authorities would not say whether Tyler was still alive when his mother dumped his body.

OH DEAR HEAVENS I hope he wasnt still alive when she dumped his lil body. I cant read any more of this tonight. I can't imagine what went through this poor babies mind. I pray he went quickly and was gone before he was placed there.
rips my soul. So many out there would have loved this child. rest with the angels sweet boy. Jesus has you now.

The medical examiner determined Tyler died from blunt force trauma to the head.
Authorities would not say whether Tyler was still alive when his mother dumped his body. :sick: :furious:

http://www.stltoday.com/news/local/...cle_daf1c51a-996e-5e6e-a985-fd76d4262269.html

that's distressing isnt it? I wonder who even had a reason to think of that one, certainly it never crossed my mind til now.

I'm sick over this one. I cant fathom how anyone beats a baby to death for daring to wake up in the morning, let alone how said person can dump the body then go back to bed and go to sleep

I believe that in some cases we should perhaps revert back to "an eye for an eye". This is one of those cases. To know that, once again, an innocent and precious child was killed at the hands of the one person in the world that should protect them at all costs is making wish that the "mother's" life would be taken in the same manner in which she killed her child. Yes, I realize that sounds barbaric but at what point do we as a society put our foot down and say enough is enough?!? At what point do we realize that just because a person gives birth to a child it does not make them a mother? At what point do we realize that just because it is a "mother" that kills their child that they do in fact deserve the harshest punishment available? Perhaps when we make an example out of some of these "mothers" then others that come along after them will think twice about killing their own children.

MOO

Apparently Shelby is on a suicide watch, why are they stopping her? Surely it's the least she can do.......:maddening:

Apparently Shelby is on a suicide watch, why are they stopping her? Surely it's the least she can do.......:maddening:

It was stated yesterday,in the presser iirc, that it is standard procedure there to put everyone on suicide watch for the 1st while, can't remember if it is 24 hours or how long. I'm not quoting it properly I know and now I can't find a link to the typed up presser.

Maybe this was discussed on the first thread. Wouldn't it make sense that they charged her with 2nd degree instead of first for her full confession? I can't imagine that this murder isn't 1st as who knows how long she was beating him until she realized he no longer had life in him. Really it is so hard to imagine.

I'm a dog trainer and often times when I'm working with dogs I apologize to them for not winning the lottery of a good owner. They are too busy and self absorbed to put the time and effort to teach the dog manners and social structure. Which often leads to a drop off at the shelter. It takes the rest of us to step up and put the time and effort into that dog to allow him to live out his life loved. Kids and dogs take time and effort and love and kindness and patience. Really we need to stop the cycle of raising self absorbed parents. Goes against nature to kill our young. I know...preaching to the choir :( I'm just so frustrated with all this narcissism.

i kinda agree but IMO that maybe an easy way out,she needs to face the consequences of what she did.

i do hope she gets 1st degree murder,after the first blow she knew fine well what she was doing and could have stopped but she chose to carry on? IMO that is cold blooded murder.

i would like to see her get the death penalty if she does get 1st degree but the statistics don't bode well for that happening.

in the other thread someone posted the stats for current inmates on death row in MO and it was all men,i kinda feel that if both a man and a woman committed a murder in the same way that the man would be put to death and the woman not. i dunno :confused:

she deserves to be put through the pain and suffering this little guy did,i don't think she would fair well in general population in jail.

I'm not sure how this can legally be a first degree murder - killing someone in a fit of rage type situation is different than a premeditated murder. I would like a look at the MO statute, and it's been umpteen years since criminal law in college - are there any lawyers on the thread who could comment on this?

I probably have a different opinion than most here - I think these type of killings are more common than we might like to admit. This reminds me of the many more shaken baby cases we hear about, where a parent or care-giver snaps. I know there used to be commercials, sort of PSAs, about what to do when you are stressed as a parent. At the pediatricians, there are brochures about parent hotlines, and steps to take when you feel you are at the end of your rope (put baby in crib, shut door and go into another room or outside for a few mins, etc). Two of my kids were fairly difficult babies,and one had reflux so badly that she screamed nearly all day, would not eat well (and thus was always losing weight, and very often getting dehydrated), and it went on for months and months. There were many moments where I had to put her in the crib and walk away and shut the door,and more often than i like to admit, my thoughts were NOT GOOD. I thank god i had family nearby who would come daily to sit with the babies,tell me to get dressed and GET OUT for a while. Situations like that can cause any normal human being, yes, even a mother, quite a build up of stress, and even anger.

If we could be honest about this, I think there are times when all parents have reached that end of the rope feeling with a screaming child, even a baby. I think it is more common than we like to admit. We like to paint pictures of motherhood as all candy canes and rainbows, and we like to think that maternal/child bonding is so special that to have negative or even ambivalent feelings towards a baby is unnatural, but I think that sets up an u realistic set of expectations on mothers.

What I would love to see come out of cases like this is some type of program that I know many countries have, where a nurse does home visits with new moms for a certain period of time after having the baby. To watch the interaction, give advice, check up on both mom and baby. I realize that in this case, little Tyler was an older baby, and so this type of thing may not have helped prevent this, but maybe there were signs a experienced health care worker could have picked up on, and it could prevent other cases of a parent "losing it" and harming a child. Especially in cases where the parent is young, or the parent is single and young, as we have here.

None of this means I don't feel that the mom in this case should be punished. I do think she should, and i am glad she has confessed; that says to me that she probably feels genuine remorse for what she did. But I think we need to be realistic, also, and do what we can to avoid these situations. I don't think this was a mother who deliberately set out to kill her child, and I don't think she deserves a first degree murder charge, unless more info comes out to support that. We need more services, more information and support for parents, especially younger ones, not harsher setences and charges. That isn't going to help any other case in the future. Someone "losing it" in the heat of the moment isn't going to stop and say "oh wait, that other baby's mom got the death penalty, so I need to cool down now". They're not thinking calmly and rationally in that moment. However, if they're given the tools to avoid such a situation in the first place, well, then it never gets to that point where they've gone too far. :(

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LPopadoodles
Back