Mom-to-be at 63

this is totally selfish. This is not about anything but them. Makes me wonder if such little thought is given to this child pre concieved what thought will be given later?

They are not doing this to enrich the life of a new human (they could adopt for that)

This is just a case of they can so they are..
Just because you can doens't mean you should!!!

I think she is just a very selfish person ,not giving one thought to the future of this poor child . A child growing up with an old woman . How will this child feel having to tell everyone this is my mother not my gran , could nearly be his great gran . An older person cant play with her children the way a young mother can . Party's will be too loud and other kid's too much . Poor little boy . He has to live a life in an old folks home . Sad realy sad.

A bit of a follow up for background:

Yes, we have thought it all through, says IVF mother, 63

Yesterday, Dr Rashbrook stepped out with her husband, John Farrant, 61, and said that she was “delighted with the pregnancy”. She is believed to be expecting a son. She said: “We are very happy to have given life to an already much loved baby and our wish now is to give him the peace and security he needs.”

When news of her pregnancy became public on Wednesday evening the couple hired a PR agency, which issued a statement saying: “This has not been an endeavour undertaken lightly or without great courage. A great deal of thought has been given to planning and providing for the child’s present and future wellbeing, medically, socially and materially.”
Dr Rashbrook married Mr Farrant, a historian and higher education consultant, after the death of her first husband, Brian, with whom she has a son aged 22 and a daughter aged 26. One of them is a doctor.
The couple moved into an elegant three-storey townhouse in Lewes, East Sussex. A friend has said that Dr Rashbrook wanted a child “to seal her love for John”. The couple contacted Severino Antinori, a fertility doctor who courted controversy in the early 1990s by helping a 62-year-old Italian woman to give birth through IVF treatment.

More here: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2-2165988,00.html

Neighbours and friends of Mr Farrant were staggered that the quiet academic, who has spent half a lifetime writing books on the history of Sussex, was now to be a father. “I’m just amazed,” Tim Locke, 47, a former neighbour told The Times. “I’m not sure how he will cope — it’s quite hard to imagine, although he’s quite lively and she is young for her age. I’m really pleased for them.”

Reactions:

Better late . . .

Reactions to news of 63-year-old Dr Patricia Rashbrook’s pregnancy have varied from shudders of distaste (“It’s gross,” said a young colleague) to Schadenfreude (“Bonkers. She’ll be exhausted.”) to pity for the child bearing the stigma of an ancient mother at the school gates. Phone-ins from mostly male listeners to Radio 5 Live yesterday morning were bristling with outrage and disgust; there was a sense of the woman being shunned like a witchy old crone. Such visceral reactions don’t seem to apply to her 61-year-old husband, or indeed to any of the legions of lizardy-skinned older fathers who embark on second families with younger women. Why the difference? “It’s biological,” said a colleague. “It’s the old womb.”

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,8123-2164980,00.html

I believe you have to get the link to both the above articles in the next few days, otherwise they become subscription.

To end this post and to shout me down, a word from the child's 'sponsors':

Dr Rashbrook has two grown-up children from her first marriage who are said to be delighted at the news of their new sibling; what a lucky child it will be to have four adoring adults in its life.

She looked every year of her 63 years in the face up close when I saw her on T.V.

At first, from a distance she didn't, as she has a current hair style, and dressed nice. BUT, walking away (the breeze was blowing her hair a bit) did she ever need her silver hair tinted, good grief, with her money! :doh:

From the ages of her grown kids she had her first when she was 37, and the other when she was 41, so maybe 63 is still young in her eyes:sick:

I'm betting she goes right back to work after the big event is over and a live-in Nanny will do all the 'grunt' work.

This is so sad, Imagine how that poor child is going to feel if she isnt around for anything......I had a friend in high school whos dad was in his 60's and I thought that was the weirdest thing. He never came to any school functions because he was to old....Very sad....I think its selfish......I know things happen but why plan that??

What's so baffling is the woman already had THREE other children!

It's not like she's been deprived of being a mother and what about adoption?

I agree with the above posters...nearly fifty and my two girls are young adults....I wouldn't have the energy to take care of a toddler 24/7 at the age when I will be retired.

I think the mother and father are selfish.

Amraann said:
this is totally selfish. This is not about anything but them. Makes me wonder if such little thought is given to this child pre concieved what thought will be given later?

They are not doing this to enrich the life of a new human (they could adopt for that)

This is just a case of they can so they are..
Just because you can doens't mean you should!!!
================
Amraann you are so right.I am 74 yrs..The thought of having a 12 yr.old makes me tired.This is not the sort of thing one does to satisfy ones self.Someone else will no doubt end up caring for the child,why bother? Older fathers? most are well off,moms usually give the most child care.I enjoy having my grt.grandson here for "sleepovers" it really warms my heart but that is it.I wouldn't have done that to a child.When I was 62 I was going on S.S..unless a person is well heeled at that age the child would wind up being deprived and I dont mean deprived of toys!

The baby has arrived:

Briton becomes new mother at 62

A 62-year-old child psychiatrist has become the oldest woman in Britain to have a baby.
Patricia Rashbrook of Lewes, East Sussex, and her 6lb 10oz boy, nicknamed JJ, were said to be doing well by her husband John Farrant, 60.

Critics said it was selfish to have a baby at their age, but they said they were confident of meeting his needs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5160812.stm

Nothing about him arriving early, although orignally they had said his mother would be 63 when she would give birth.

i still believe this to be wrong.

I agree that is too old....also 50 for me is to old...
What are the odds that both parents will live to see the child in 35-40 years...

My family is rare, lived in there 90's...90-97...

This discussion about the difference between older fathers and older mothers hasn't included the physical differences. The older mother has to carry that child for 9 months, and that's hard on a body! I was 21 and 22 when I was pregnant and it took it's toll on my YOUNG body. I can't imagine how it would affect an older woman. There are also risks involved in older women being pregnant. I think there's a significantly higher risk of Down's syndrome, and other genetic defects. I hope the baby is healthy and the mother is healthy. I hope they make the best of the situation they have created. :waitasec:

Pharlap said:
I agree that is too old....also 50 for me is to old...
What are the odds that both parents will live to see the child in 35-40 years...

My family is rare, lived in there 90's...90-97...
I agree. Assuming she lives, this mother will be 81 when her child is 18! That is an age for what normally would be the child's grandmother, or even great-grandmother. Granted, a young person could die before their child is raised, but usually not due to natural causes. :(

Why would anyone want a baby at 63? :eek: Whyyyyyyy!! Omg, its draining at that age, good grief. I take care of my lil grandson, (and theres a new lil one on the way, so that will 2)hehe...And let me tell you its a lot of work, and can be tiring at times. Its fun, and their so sweet and all, but is she Nuts? :angel:

BrendaStar said:
Very selfish. And she's a child psychiatrist to boot, so she should know better.
Actually, its been my experience, having had a child psychologist for a mother-in-law once, NO they don't know anything better.

It's a shame, IMO:

Britain's oldest mother struggles under the weight of her strapping son

She has insisted that age is no barrier to raising a child. But Britain's oldest mother, Dr Patricia Rashbrook, certainly had her hands full as she carried her strapping 20-month-old son.
The 64-year-old struggled under the weight of young Jude, held in a sling as they walked through her home town Lewes in East Sussex.

The boy appears to be thriving in the care of his doting mother - a child psychologist who was 62 when she gave birth in July 2006 - and his father John Farrant, 61, a higher education consultant.

more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/femail/article.html?in_article_id=557630&in_page_id=1879

my grandparents took me on when i was a baby and they were 60 and 61. they were too old to care for a baby and child, in my experience.

this couple have not thought of their child's needs, only their own and it makes me angry. :furious:

and why is he in a sling at nearly 2 years of age?

I couldn't carry my son for long, he was always big for his age and as soon as he could walk..he did!

I do think it's selfish, but at least he has MUCH older siblings to take over ( do they even want to?) when the parents cash in their chips.........

Is she outta her mind?!!!! :D J/K, I'm 41 and I couldn't imagine a little one right now! :eek:
I would rather cut off my head than to be pregnant at my age...I am 47!:eek: Oh...that sounds so old.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I would rather cut off my head than to be pregnant at my age...I am 47!:eek: Oh...that sounds so old.:eek: :eek: :eek:

I just turned 50 yesterday, dea, so I'm offically over the hill and I agree with you. It is exhausting just contemplating such a thing. Honestly, why, why, why? In the photos they both look ragged. Oh my. Wonder how they are truly liking their lives as parents of a toddler. Also why on earth are they carrying that luggy kid? Trying to keep him a baby forever? Good grief Charlie Brown!

Eve

He's a cute kid! Why doesn't she just buy a stroller instead of carrying him? :doh:

:slap: :slap: :slap: no it doesn't!

(I'm a year older than you and there's no way i'd have the energy to keep up with a toddler.)

LOL, I feel the same way, I can barely get through a weekend with my grandkids and their at the age where all I really have to do is entertain them!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EnvyofAngels
Back