Most Intriguing Classic Unsolved Single Murder Poll

What classic unsolved single murder are you most intrigued by?

• Rose Harsent 1902

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Caroline Luard 1908

• George Storrs 1909

• William Taylor 1922

Votes: 5 2.7%
  • Margery Wren 1930

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Julia Wallace 1931

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Evelyn Foster 1931

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Hubert Chevis 1931

• Lord Errol 1941

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Harry Oakes 1943

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Elizabeth Short 1947

Votes: 89 47.6%
  • Shirley Collins 1953

Votes: 3 1.6%
  • Marilyn Sheppard 1954

Votes: 14 7.5%
  • Valery Percy 1966

Votes: 21 11.2%
  • Another Please Explain

Votes: 39 20.9%

• Total voters
Are you sure about that? It's one of the most infamous unsolved murders and it's hard for me to believe that some movie, that didn't even make back its budget at the box office, is the reason for that. There was also a video game and multiple books made about the case years prior to 2006.
Back in the 70s, there was a very popular and acclaimed TV movie about the case that starred Luci Arnaz and Efrem Zimbalist Jr.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0073897/

Perhaps not that many people saw the movie but it had a huge prerelease TV ad campaign.

I didn't hear about Black Dahlia until 1981 and I was alive when it happened.

I couldn't read in 1947 so I don't know if Dahlia was covered in local papers.

Valerie Percy's murder happened right about the same time as when I was reading In Cold Blood. The combination of the two gave me many sleepless nights as a pre-teen. Before then, I had no idea that anyone not criminal and not in a "dangerous" area ever got murdered.

I choose other because I want to know who Sharon Marshall was, where she came from, is there someone out there wondering what happened to their daughter or was she given to Floyd? The whole case intrigues and I know that unless Floyd talks ( which he won't ) then it won't ever get solved.

The boy in the box would be my next one. Again who was he, is someone missing him, was he just a throw away child? It just breaks my heart.

For me, the most intriguing case would have to be the disappearance (and it's certainly a murder) of Beverly Potts in Cleveland Oh in 1951. And also, I find the unsolved murder of Beverly Jarosz in Garfield Hts. Oh in 1964 very intriguing.

All the cases I listed are from the 20th Century but that is not by design.

In Cold Blood was published the spring prior to the Percy murder.

Never know what the connections could be.

No non U.S. case with more than 2 votes.

and all with 0 votes are non U.S.

I guess Errol is the biggest surprise to me on the low side.

As far as I know, it's one of the 3 cases on the list that's had more than one movie made about it.

I believe that at least 5 cases have at least one movie made about them.

There were also re-creation type TV programs about Harsent and Storrs which were sort of like movies.

All the cases I listed are from the 20th Century but that is not by design.

If I was going to include a murder from outside the 20th Century, it would be that of Sarah Millson in 1866.

I couldn't read in 1947 so I don't know if Dahlia was covered in local papers.

My dad knew about it so it must have gotten some coverage here in Central Illinois either from newspapers or radio. The only other way he could have learned about it at that time would have been detective magazines and, as far as I know, he was not into those.

My dad knew about it so it must have gotten some coverage here in Central Illinois either from newspapers or radio. The only other way he could have learned about it at that time would have been detective magazines and, as far as I know, he was not into those.

The Black Dahlia is always on those "Most Famous Unsolved Cases" lists. If it wasn't that publicized when it happened, it makes me think that *someone* decades later decided it would be a super notorious case. It makes one wonder what current cases, ones that aren't super high-profile today, might be considered to be super notorious in the future.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back