GUILTY MS - Donna Cochran, 44, found murdered, Carthage, 11 Aug 2010

There were two shots. One to the back of the head at the top of the neck and one to the side of the head, more above the ear that in the temple. Two .25 cal. shell casings were recovered at the scene.

I just had time to read the local newspaper which is published every Thursday. There is an "ad" type bordered space, with the reward amount and the same info that was in the article published two weeks ago (which I already put earlier on this thread). While I am frustrated with no additional news, at least the Sheriff is trying to garner information about Donna's murder.
Praying every day that Sheriff Waggoner and the investigative team will be able to find the tip they need. Also praying for the Cochran, Ganann, May families for peace and comfort.

There were two shots. One to the back of the head at the top of the neck and one to the side of the head, more above the ear that in the temple. Two .25 cal. shell casings were recovered at the scene.

Was the shooter inside the tack shop when the shots were fired?
I know the Tack shop was reported as having nothing out of place which indicates, no struggle. How about the main house?

IMO, solving this crime is going to come down to studying the victimology.
This was not a random crime. Someone had garnered info about the victim and her families lifestyle. They knew the husband was going to be gone, they knew there was money available, they may have even known there was a pistol in close proximity of where the crime was going to occur. They locked the door to save time. Which makes me wonder if the daughter was at home when the shooting took place. (The door could have been locked on the assumption the daughter heard the shots and would come to investigate. By locking the door, the daughter would not be able to gain entry as quickly as if the door was unlocked). If I were involved in this investigation, I would be looking at the following types of people -

1) Criminal past
2) History of Drug Abuse
3) Knows the family and / or is on the periphery of the family members, friends, work mates, etc........
4) Donna was a dental assistant. Look at the patient base. What patients had she interacted with? Is there any patient that fits the above description? Especially someone who might have been in the office under the guise of needing a prescription for pain?
5) Look at the history of the people who did business with the Tack shop.
6) Look at friends / family of the members of the Equestrian club.
7) Keep up with pawn shops / the missing gun might be another way for someone to make cash.

Lastly, I sent this case to a friend of mine. He has been in LE for many years. After reading the public info (very limited info) he offered the following suggestion -

"I think if I was the Sheriff in Leak County Mississippi and had NO leads I would be looking into a sex offender named James Hutto from Alabama. 81 year old woman from Clinton, MS is missing last seen with Hutto who failed to register as a sex offender and has an extensive criminal record. Clinton Ms is not that far from Leak County".

I think this case will be solved. But, it wont be solved quickly. LE is going to have to track down a lot of personal info / interactions with various family members. The fact that the gun is missing, tells me it might be used in other illegal activities. Ballistics from the gun will also come in handy when tying this case to any others that might occur.

TGIR, Thank you. I lost a sister 24 years ago and that murder has gone unsolved to this day. The only thing that I directly asked of LE on this one is not to let that happen again. Lets catch this perp. Nothing like reliving old nightmares

I am so sorry for not only your loss of Donna , but also the loss of your sister.I lost my cousin 33yrs ago , still hurts like it was yesterday.I too know the pain of an unsolved murder,it is horrible when there is no justice for your loved one.I am keeping your families and Donna in my prayers.May justice be swift and may this second tragic murder open someones heart to ease your families pain and if they know anything of your sisters murder to come forth.

Just don't like seeing Donna's case on page 3, even though I have nothing new to report. Please don't let this case end up a cold case like Shondra's.

I am in contact with my family daily (my step-dad has cancer) and they haven't heard anything lately. My trip planned for this weekend has been postponed until the 2nd week of October, since I obviously have forgotten how to walk. I stepped in a hole at work and sprained my knee, foot, both sides of my ankle and pulled a calf muscle. SHEESH! TRMAY thank you so much for posting. I can't imagine how painful this must be for you. Please know that you're in my thoughts and prayers.

Thanks for updating us, Annie.

(Boy, when you step in a hole, you realllllly step in a hole, don't you?? I hope your recovery is quick. Those bad sprains can be very nasty.)

Anne,
So sorry to hear of your accident and hope you feel better soon. Also sorry about your step father's illness. I will be praying for both of you.

Well, here we are again.....another Friday. I have continued to read MS daily newspapers and the local paper, The Carthaginian, which comes out every Thursday. Not even a mention anywhere this week. Not a peep.
What in the world is happening with Donna's case?????

Well, here we are again.....another Friday. I have continued to read MS daily newspapers and the local paper, The Carthaginian, which comes out every Thursday. Not even a mention anywhere this week. Not a peep.
What in the world is happening with Donna's case?????

I hate to hear that there is no new news RE Donna's case! I know that it takes time to gather all evidence, but I sure did hope that they would have had a break in the case by now. I keep praying that they will find this person soon!

Meet with Greg today and he is saying that things are moving forward. There has been another state investigator assigned to the case and he is telling me that he still thinks it is solveable.

Meet with Greg today and he is saying that things are moving forward. There has been another state investigator assigned to the case and he is telling me that he still thinks it is solveable.

Thank you trmay!

When you refer to Gregg, are you referring to Sheriff Gregg Waggoner?

That is good news, T! I am praying for all the families involved and for Greg and the other investigators daily. Thanks for sharing this info.

Thank you trmay!

When you refer to Gregg, are you referring to Sheriff Gregg Waggoner?

Yes, I am refering to Sheriff Waggoner. I should have been clearer, sorry but he has been Greg to me for many years.

Meet with Greg (Sheriff Waggoner) again today. He said they are moving forward and not sitting still and he thinks they are on the right path, just wouldn't tell me which path they are headed down. Do know that they have carried some other people in for questioning in the last few days.

Just so sad this morning to see Donna's case on page 4. I am continuing to check the papers for news and the tv stations. But I haven't seen any mention of her.
T., I am glad to know that you are meeting with Greg on a regular basis. Just hoping that something will break in this case soon. I am continuing to remember all families touched by this tragedy in my daily prayers.

Don't have a link yet. Just received a call that someone has been arrested in Donna's case. Will post more when I hear and have a link. I am hoping and praying that this is true. For now....rumor, I guess.

ETA: Did get additional confirmation from community members that the perp turned himself in this afternoon. Can't say more at this time.

I hope you hear something tonight jokie, 'cause now I'm afraid to go to bed in case you happen to post right after I sign off!

I am so glad to hear that the person turned themself in. It is rare that a person is willing to stand up and take responsibility when they've committed a crime.

I'm sticking with my gut feeling that it was not a robbery at all. Was it her husband?...another family member? We shall see!

(trmay, what do you hear?)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
myauris11
Back