Found Deceased MT - Mildred Alexis Oldcrow, 7, Lodge Grass, March 2019 *arrests*

Just wanted to add- I wonder if Millie has Osteogenesis Imperfecta. My god daughter has this condition and I causes short stature, bowed legs, and fragile, easy/easier-than-normal to break bones (which would explain why she “may have injuries”.

MAY 26, 2021
Mildred Alexis Old Crow | Billings obituaries | billingsgazette.com
60aeba19f2227.image.jpg

Mildred Alexis Old Crow

Our beloved daughter, granddaughter, niece and sister Mildred Alexis Old Crow better known as Milly went home to be with the Lord. She was born on May 3, 2012 in Billings, Montana to [redacted]. Milly was a member of the Piegan Clan and a child of the Whistling Water Clan. She is a direct descendant of [redacted].

She loved to dance to all kinds of music but especially enjoyed dancing at Powwows. She enjoyed playing hand-games with her family and was an integral part of the Regulators Hand-game Team. She loved Indian music but especially enjoyed singing hand-game songs, singing right along with her aunts, uncles and her grandparents. She loved family get togethers and being around family. She was a real doll, she was a very loving, caring, compassionate and considerate little girl. Milly was very outgoing and very respectful. She was truly a little angel here on earth and now in her journey to the other side camp she is truly ‘Our Little Angel'. Milly enjoyed watching the Disney movie Frozen and was often seen playing with her Elsa, Anna and Olaf dolls. She often imitated and dressed as Elsa. Milly attended the Crow Head Start Program.

[...]

Eagle Descendants. Our family is large, please accept our apology if we have failed to mention you in our time of grief.

Funeral services will be held Thursday May 27, 2021 at 11 a.m. at the Multi Purpose Building in Crow Agency with interment to follow at the Lodge Grass Cemetery. Bullis Mortuary is entrusted with the arrangements.

g21076.gif

MAY 28, 2021
Two Named as Suspects in Girl's Death on Crow Reservation - Flathead Beacon
[...]

Authorities have not said how they believe the child, Mildred Alexis Old Crow, died. Her body was discovered near the tiny community of Garryowen, about 40 miles (64 kiolmeters) north of the Montana-Wyoming border.

The Big Horn County Attorney’s office indicated in a statement that authorities believe Mildred was six years old at the time of her death. That would put her death within weeks of when authorities said she was last seen in the custody of the two suspects in March 2019.

Veronica Tierza Dust and Roseen Lincoln Old Crow, both 34, were arrested in December 2020 as suspects in Mildred’s disappearance.

The two were named by Big Horn County Attorney Jay Harris as suspects in the ongoing investigation into the girl’s death on Thursday, the same day that funeral services were held for Mildred in Crow Agency.

[...]

The Crow Tribal Court does not prosecute major crimes on the reservation. Those are handled by state or federal prosecutors. The investigation into Mildred’s death is being led by the Big Horn County Sheriff’s Office, Bureau of Indian Affairs and FBI.

Dust and Old Crow were being held Friday at a Bureau of Indian Affairs detention facility, officials said. They could not be reached for comment, and it was unknown if they had an attorney.

Just wanted to add- I wonder if Millie has Osteogenesis Imperfecta. My god daughter has this condition and I causes short stature, bowed legs, and fragile, easy/easier-than-normal to break bones (which would explain why she “may have injuries”.

I would say more likely than not she looks like she has Fetal Alcohol Sndrome. I read that the data on that is like 17 out of 1000 on the rez. As a teacher, who has directly worked in those communities, I wonder where they get that stat, because for many children it seemed much higher to me.

No new news I can find. However, with the FBI being involved, I would waaant to believe we'd see federal charges in the near future as their negligence and/or abuse led to the death of a small child... more on that in the text below

https://www.krtv.com/news/crime-and...l-court-in-connection-with-missing-child-case
The Crow Tribe had issued warrants a week before their capture, stating the women “failed to produce the child. Nor was any proof of life provided.”

8-year-old Mildred “Milly” Old Crow had not been seen by family for over 2 years when she was officially reported missing.
In March 2017, Crow tribal court granted custody of Milly to her aunt, Roseen Lincoln-Old Crow, and her aunt’s wife, Veronica Dust. The home was said to have passed an inspection and both women were said to have passed background checks.
On November 25 2020 Milly’s family reported to the BIA that they had not seen Milly since 2018. Based on this information the BIA and FBI released a missing persons alert for Milly.
A few weeks after the report, the Crow tribe issued warrants for the arrest of Milly’s court appointed guardians, Roseen and Veronica. The warrant stated that the two women “failed to produce the child. Nor was any proof of life provided.” They were arrested by Billings police on December 23 2020.
Roseen and Veronica were charged with child endangerment and custodial interference. They were tried in tribal court and, on April 23 2021, both were found guilty. They received matching sentences of 18 months in jail, a year of probation, and a $2,000 fine.
It was revealed in the trial that Roseen and Veronica led the FBI to Milly’s body. She was found in a camper on the Crow reservation but, according to interviews with her guardians, she passed away in Hardin and was moved.
It was also revealed that Milly stopped attending elementary school when custody was granted to Roseen and Veronica. Veronica argued that Milly was homeschooled.
Milly’s case is said to be under investigation. But based on the way the FBI has treated the deaths of other Crow girls, like Selena Not Afraid and Kaysera Stops Pretty Places, I am doubtful. A lot of information, such as Milly’s cause of death, have not been released because her case is allegedly being investigated.
I want to know more about Milly’s short life. I want to know why she was placed with Roseen and Victoria, and how they were deemed suitable guardians given what happened to Milly in their care. Milly was in the system so I wonder how she was not reported missing by a social worker. It’s hard to think about how isolated Milly must have been when custody changed and she no longer attended school.
Roseen and Veronica are currently serving their sentences. Their sentences for child endangerment and custodial interference. This little girl lost her life before it really started. I hope her story is not over and that her guardians will face real justice. Milly’s life is worth more than an 18 month prison sentence, a year of probation, and a $2,000 fine.
Justice for Milly and for other children who fall through the cracks of the system.

No new news I can find. However, with the FBI being involved, I would waaant to believe we'd see federal charges in the near future as their negligence and/or abuse led to the death of a small child... more on that in the text below

https://www.krtv.com/news/crime-and...l-court-in-connection-with-missing-child-case
The Crow Tribe had issued warrants a week before their capture, stating the women “failed to produce the child. Nor was any proof of life provided.”

8-year-old Mildred “Milly” Old Crow had not been seen by family for over 2 years when she was officially reported missing.
In March 2017, Crow tribal court granted custody of Milly to her aunt, Roseen Lincoln-Old Crow, and her aunt’s wife, Veronica Dust. The home was said to have passed an inspection and both women were said to have passed background checks.
On November 25 2020 Milly’s family reported to the BIA that they had not seen Milly since 2018. Based on this information the BIA and FBI released a missing persons alert for Milly.
A few weeks after the report, the Crow tribe issued warrants for the arrest of Milly’s court appointed guardians, Roseen and Veronica. The warrant stated that the two women “failed to produce the child. Nor was any proof of life provided.” They were arrested by Billings police on December 23 2020.
Roseen and Veronica were charged with child endangerment and custodial interference. They were tried in tribal court and, on April 23 2021, both were found guilty. They received matching sentences of 18 months in jail, a year of probation, and a $2,000 fine.
It was revealed in the trial that Roseen and Veronica led the FBI to Milly’s body. She was found in a camper on the Crow reservation but, according to interviews with her guardians, she passed away in Hardin and was moved.
It was also revealed that Milly stopped attending elementary school when custody was granted to Roseen and Veronica. Veronica argued that Milly was homeschooled.
Milly’s case is said to be under investigation. But based on the way the FBI has treated the deaths of other Crow girls, like Selena Not Afraid and Kaysera Stops Pretty Places, I am doubtful. A lot of information, such as Milly’s cause of death, have not been released because her case is allegedly being investigated.
I want to know more about Milly’s short life. I want to know why she was placed with Roseen and Victoria, and how they were deemed suitable guardians given what happened to Milly in their care. Milly was in the system so I wonder how she was not reported missing by a social worker. It’s hard to think about how isolated Milly must have been when custody changed and she no longer attended school.
Roseen and Veronica are currently serving their sentences. Their sentences for child endangerment and custodial interference. This little girl lost her life before it really started. I hope her story is not over and that her guardians will face real justice. Milly’s life is worth more than an 18 month prison sentence, a year of probation, and a $2,000 fine.
Justice for Milly and for other children who fall through the cracks of the system.
I had my suspicions about why Milly was not reported by a social worker but I decided to look into it. The most authentic looking source listing Montana tribal social services is this

State Information | National Child Welfare Resource Center for Tribes

According to this site, the Crow nation has something they refer to as Apsaalooke Social and Family Services but the link is orphaned and 404s to no existing page on mt.gov.

So I just Googled the agency in general. The best I could find was a pdf file listing contract emails for various officers in Crow tribal services. The Director of Apsalooke Child & Family services was listed as, believe this or not, someone named Kari Covers Up.

When I searched for her name, it turns out that she had been a judge but was stripped of her position in 2018 after being found guilty of assault on one of her own family members and in the same vote the Crow tribe's chief judge was also removed for using tribal funds to issue "loans" to cronies - and guess what that disgraced chief judge's last name is.

Crow Chief Judge Leroy Not Afraid and Judge Kari Covers Up removed from office

I have had my posts moderated in these threads about Indian Nations before so I will completely refrain from expressing any opinion or making any speculation whatsoever and allow you to draw your own conclusions based on the available evidence.

I had my suspicions about why Milly was not reported by a social worker but I decided to look into it. The most authentic looking source listing Montana tribal social services is this

State Information | National Child Welfare Resource Center for Tribes

According to this site, the Crow nation has something they refer to as Apsaalooke Social and Family Services but the link is orphaned and 404s to no existing page on mt.gov.

So I just Googled the agency in general. The best I could find was a pdf file listing contract emails for various officers in Crow tribal services. The Director of Apsalooke Child & Family services was listed as, believe this or not, someone named Kari Covers Up.

When I searched for her name, it turns out that she had been a judge but was stripped of her position in 2018 after being found guilty of assault on one of her own family members and in the same vote the Crow tribe's chief judge was also removed for using tribal funds to issue "loans" to cronies - and guess what that disgraced chief judge's last name is.

Crow Chief Judge Leroy Not Afraid and Judge Kari Covers Up removed from office

I have had my posts moderated in these threads about Indian Nations before so I will completely refrain from expressing any opinion or making any speculation whatsoever and allow you to draw your own conclusions based on the available evidence.

There is a significant amount of nepotism, cronyism and corruption on reservations. But it is not unlike any other group. Cover up happens everywhere, CYA is rampant in any government entity.

The sad fact is that we only hear about the worst situations. Too bad we never hear about terrific CPS workers, awesome foster parents, and the success of the program.

There is a significant amount of nepotism, cronyism and corruption on reservations. But it is not unlike any other group. Cover up happens everywhere, CYA is rampant in any government entity.

The sad fact is that we only hear about the worst situations. Too bad we never hear about terrific CPS workers, awesome foster parents, and the success of the program.
What I'm saying is I think it might require some actual phone calls to confirm Apsaalooke Social and Family Services is even a real thing that actually exists and employs case workers at all.

This story has far reaching implications. I understand both sides. But I would hope that SCOTUS reviews cases like Mildred's, was she served best by being placed on the reservation?

This story has far reaching implications. I understand both sides. But I would hope that SCOTUS reviews cases like Mildred's, was she served best by being placed on the reservation?
I personally hope they don't strike down the ICWA because removing Native Americans from their culture increases the suicide rate, among a trillion other issues. I agree that whats best for the child should be done, but also, their culture and affiliation matters greatly in this situation. Taking away the power of communities over their own children is scary IMO.

I don't think being on the reservation has as much to do with it. Roseen has the same last name as Mildred, which makes me think they placed her with family. From what I have observed, this is the preferred practice in most cases regardless of whether the child is native american or lives on a reservation, since the child is familiar with that person and they're not a random foster family. JMO

I don't think being on the reservation has as much to do with it. Roseen has the same last name as Mildred, which makes me think they placed her with family. From what I have observed, this is the preferred practice in most cases regardless of whether the child is native american or lives on a reservation, since the child is familiar with that person and they're not a random foster family. JMO
But we are talking specifically about native American children. Was this the best placement for Mildred? Or was culture the primary reason for placement in this family?

Maybe, it should have been a "child centered" approach, rather than "culture centered".

But we are talking specifically about native American children. Was this the best placement for Mildred? Or was culture the primary reason for placement in this family?

Maybe, it should have been a "child centered" approach, rather than "culture centered".
They were related, it was a terrible placement but this happens to non Native American children who are placed with family members/relatives and end up dead. I don't doubt it was a priority to keep her in the reservation, but I think this is still more about them being related.

Two women implicated in the death of 6-year-old Mildred Alexis Old Crow have been charged in relation to the crime in Big Horn County.

Roseen Lincoln-Old Crow and Veronica Tierza Dust were charged in Big Horn County Justice Court Monday, March 20 with one count each of felony deliberate homicide and felony tampering with evidence, reports Four Points Press.

The couple is scheduled to enter their pleas in district court next week.

Court documents allege the couple was responsible for the death of Millie Old Crow sometime in April 2019

Court documents show, on Dec. 6, 2020 non-custodial family members filed a formal petition with the Crow Tribal Court requesting a hearing. In the petition, they allege they had not seen the child since March 2019 and Dust and Lincoln-Old Crow had “breached their fiduciary duty to the child.”

Two women implicated in the death of 6-year-old Mildred Alexis Old Crow have been charged in relation to the crime in Big Horn County.

Roseen Lincoln-Old Crow and Veronica Tierza Dust were charged in Big Horn County Justice Court Monday, March 20 with one count each of felony deliberate homicide and felony tampering with evidence, reports Four Points Press.

The couple is scheduled to enter their pleas in district court next week.

Court documents allege the couple was responsible for the death of Millie Old Crow sometime in April 2019

Court documents show, on Dec. 6, 2020 non-custodial family members filed a formal petition with the Crow Tribal Court requesting a hearing. In the petition, they allege they had not seen the child since March 2019 and Dust and Lincoln-Old Crow had “breached their fiduciary duty to the child.”
Glad to hear they are back behind bars and we may still see justice for Mildred. It's about time - it's been four years this month since she was last seen alive. :( MOO

Mar 14, 23 - Warrants Issued
Mar 18, 23 - Arrested
Mar 20, 23 - Charged

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members