Found Deceased MT - Rebekah Barsotti 33, & dog (fnd deceased), Town Pump, Superior, Mineral Co, 20 Jul 2021 *Reward

Status
Not open for further replies.
ONE MORE THOUGHT:
If you intend to approach one of the above for help, it would be good to have some EVIDENCE to support your claims: either something that shows he is 'pals' with someone in the sheriffs office, or has something negative in his background (in addition to the No Contact order) - see a site like mylife.com for this.

I AM NOT AN EXPERT:

But if this were happening to me, I would not be relying on the local sheriff -- it looks like he is not really sympathetic to your situation; either he is lazy, incompetent, or there is a conflict of interest somewhere in the picture. With the No Contact in place you MAY (again, I don't pretend to KNOW this - just trying to provide some food for thought) be able to get a local 'abuse' group or agency to assist; or a local/state politician to apply some pressure.

Thank you for your insight. Rebekah's mom held a candlelight vigil last Monday and a member of the local abuse group did speak at the vigil. Rebekah's mom has also contacted a Senator, I believe for MT, and she was told they can't help.

On 09/29/2021 Missoula Count Sheriffs Office called Rebekah's parents in for a meeting to notify the family that Missoula has passed Rebekah's case back to Mineral County Sheriff Office. One Sheriff, 2 deputies, no detectives. All requests and reports have been transferred back to Mineral County. Prior to the meeting, Rebekah's mom reached out to the Director of the Missing Persons Clearing House for MT to invite him to the meeting and the Missoula Undersheriff called and told him not to come.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. Mineral County mishandled this case from the beginning...they didn't secure the scene, they didn't fingerprint the personal items found on the riverbank, they didn't fingerprint the car, they didn't bring in scent dogs to determine if Rebekah actually entered the water. in the beginning when the Mineral Sheriff had the case, he told my sister and her husband "not everyone can be treated like the President" and "they weren't even going to search for Rebekah but a deputy suggested they do a search".

FBI has been called numerous times by the parents and others only to defer back to the Sheriff, whichever one is handling the case at the time of the call. This is almost criminal in my mind. How does this even happen? Every step taken to try to make this go national for support seems invisible. Neither Sheriff would invite outside non profit SAR groups to assist with a search even though they offered with an invite. It's as if neither Sheriff Office wants Rebekah to be found.

On 09/29/2021 Missoula Count Sheriffs Office called Rebekah's parents in for a meeting to notify the family that Missoula has passed Rebekah's case back to Mineral County Sheriff Office. One Sheriff, 2 deputies, no detectives. All requests and reports have been transferred back to Mineral County. Prior to the meeting, Rebekah's mom reached out to the Director of the Missing Persons Clearing House for MT to invite him to the meeting and the Missoula Undersheriff called and told him not to come.

To say I'm shocked is an understatement. Mineral County mishandled this case from the beginning...they didn't secure the scene, they didn't fingerprint the personal items found on the riverbank, they didn't fingerprint the car, they didn't bring in scent dogs to determine if Rebekah actually entered the water. in the beginning when the Mineral Sheriff had the case, he told my sister and her husband "not everyone can be treated like the President" and "they weren't even going to search for Rebekah but a deputy suggested they do a search".

FBI has been called numerous times by the parents and others only to defer back to the Sheriff, whichever one is handling the case at the time of the call. This is almost criminal in my mind. How does this even happen? Every step taken to try to make this go national for support seems invisible. Neither Sheriff would invite outside non profit SAR groups to assist with a search even though they offered with an invite. It's as if neither Sheriff Office wants Rebekah to be found.

In my NON-EXPERT opinion, this smells like somebody is looking out for D....or whoever else knows what happened. You might ask the local abuse group if they have or can suggest someone (perhaps an attorney) to help (pro bono if possible) and identify the options you have (requires knowledge of local/state laws). If you can document the malfeasance you've indicated above, you might try your State Attorney General's office.

ANOTHER THOUGHT:
I do not know anything about these folks except what is on their webpage, but might be worth contacting:

HOME | Dronesar

I'm so very sorry for all of you. It feels like unknown dark forces/power are playing a role in the background of this case and this decisions. It's probably also a resources c.q. a money "thing". Not that it's going to be of any help, but I've seen lots of cases where two or more jurisdictions (different sheriff offices) are involved, it's complicating a case even more, they trying to slide back a case back and forth. With the remark about the president the sheriff goes totally out of his way. Very insensitive and unprofessional and to be honest, looking at the handling of this missing case from the get go, another sign of incompetence. If he is the "big" example for the deputies I'm afraid this case is going to be "buried".

Maybe he thinks he is still on a movie set......:( Mineral County Sheriff's Office Profile: Sheriff Mike Toth or simply looking at the wrong movies.....

Last edited:
In my NON-EXPERT opinion, this smells like somebody is looking out for D....or whoever else knows what happened. You might ask the local abuse group if they have or can suggest someone (perhaps an attorney) to help (pro bono if possible) and identify the options you have (requires knowledge of local/state laws). If you can document the malfeasance you've indicated above, you might try your State Attorney General's office.

Thank you I will pass this suggestion on to Rebekah's mom.

Rebekah's mom posted last night that several people who have come forward with information did not receive return phone calls from the Missoula Sheriff's office. She is now asking them to contact the Mineral Sheriff Office.

My question is who do you contact when LE is not following up on leads or information provided by informants? We have called the FBI and they always defer to whichever Sheriff department is handling the case at that time. If people have enough courage to come forward they should be heard and what they share should be investigated or at least included in some sort of report.

I am simply at a loss......

Rebekah's mom posted last night that several people who have come forward with information did not receive return phone calls from the Missoula Sheriff's office. She is now asking them to contact the Mineral Sheriff Office.

My question is who do you contact when LE is not following up on leads or information provided by informants? We have called the FBI and they always defer to whichever Sheriff department is handling the case at that time. If people have enough courage to come forward they should be heard and what they share should be investigated or at least included in some sort of report.

I am simply at a loss......

To my NON-EXPERT understanding, FBI would get involved only if it were an INTERSTATE matter, or tied in to something they were already investigating.

If State Attorney General will not get involved, they may still advise you as to your best alternative.

To my NON-EXPERT understanding, FBI would get involved only if it were an INTERSTATE matter, or tied in to something they were already investigating.

If State Attorney General will not get involved, they may still advise you as to your best alternative.

Yes, that is true, but I was also told FBI would get involved if invited by Sheriff.

I have suggested to Rebekah's mom to contact State Attorney General.

You could try the Attorney General's office:

Attorney General’s Office - Montana Department of Justice

in some states this office is structurally in charge of all law enforcement or

Montana Highway Patrol - Montana Department of Justice

Sometimes the Highway Patrol is brought into investigations if there is any hint of conflict of interest with local LE.

jmho ymmv lrr

Thank you for the links. Montana Highway Patrol was the initial LE to respond to the call from the person that found Rebekah's personal items on the riverbank. It is my understanding they never even filed a report on the case.

I found this...possible steps to take. What if the Police Won't Investigate my Case? - FindLaw
FWIW

I wonder where this information people tried to get over to the Sheriff's deparment is about. Maybe we should "dig up" some dubious connections f/i. high school buddies, hobby clubs. Not to be shared on here off course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa