Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
First I was thinking suicide of a person in mental crisis, but why put family through added trauma, right? Then I'm thinking this is a very strange MO for a random murder. Could perhaps be hired by someone? Ugh regardless, what she and her family suffered through during those hours is horrible and my heart breaks for them. I think I would have snapped if my loved one called me from the trunk of a car.

All in all, my senses are nudging me on this one that in some way, things aren't how they appear. Hoping this gets solved quickly.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Well, some people think that life insurance policies won't pay out if it's a suicide, so it's possible a suicidal person could want to make their death look like a murder. I don't think that's the case here, but it's possible I guess.

She spent hours on the phone with her family and police, and people think that was faked?

Especially so as by any standard she was not a high risk victim engaged in high risk activity.

She was not a teenager (especially a runaway) or young adult woman.
She was not hitchhiking.
She was not a sex worker hanging around truckstops.
She was not a drug user.

And she was armed.

A middle aged woman, driving her own vehicle on a familiar road in broad daylight, with a firearm.

She really should have been safe.

Always assuming, of course, that what happened is what appears to have happened and it was not, as one or two have speculated, an elaborate suicide.

I agree with all of the above.

She spent hours on the phone with her family and police, and people think that was faked?

Really. I don't understand where anyone got the idea this could be faked. Police are taking this seriously and called in the FBI. Just a statement that things are not as they seem does not imply it was faked. It just implies there are details they have not yet discovered or things left at the scene that don't make sense yet. These things take time to investigate. I just hope they get the POI photo out soon.

The phone call was not faked.

I'm not saying it was suicide....I am saying it's possible that Rita told her family she was abducted to hide the fact she was about to take her own life.

This may not be true. The carjacking story may be true. IDK

Thinking about this further.

According to this route planner:

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/...06054|toNode=0|Spokane||-117.426047|47.658780

Wolf Creek to Spokane is around 325 miles and takes a little over 5 hours to drive. If she was indeed kidnapped around 11am then in theory she could have been in the Spokane area by late afternoon.

I wonder when she made the first phone call to her family. It seems she spoke to her husband and daughter after 10pm that night (the last call?) so clearly was still alive at that point but was found dead around 3 hours later.

I'm going to guess that when she fueled up before she started her journey she probably didn't put enough fuel in for a journey of 350+ miles so her hijacker would probably have had to stop to refuel somewhere along the way. I wonder if that's the CCTV footage that has been mentioned.

Also wondering why, if he did stop to refuel, she didn't take her chance to escape then since the car would clearly have been in a public place and she was apparently still alive as late as 10pm.

Further, if the journey to Spokane could have been completed by late afternoon, what happened in the remaining 6+ hours and where was the car during this time?

"Her body was found inside the car shortly after midnight Wednesday in a parking lot outside Spokane, Wash., International Airport, Montana and Washington authorities said....

No cause of death was released, but Dutton said that Maze's death was believed to have been a homicide and that she was believed to have been killed after the car arrived in Spokane."

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...-calls-husband-trunk-dies-she-s-found-n644341

I am hoping that a parking lot near the airport has video.

http://www.theaa.com/route-planner/...06054|toNode=0|Spokane||-117.426047|47.658780

Wolf Creek to Spokane is around 325 miles and takes a little over 5 hours to drive. If she was indeed kidnapped around 11am then in theory she could have been in the Spokane area by late afternoon.

I wonder when she made the first phone call to her family. It seems she spoke to her husband and daughter after 10pm that night (the last call?) so clearly was still alive at that point but was found dead around 3 hours later.

I'm going to guess that when she fueled up before she started her journey she probably didn't put enough fuel in for a journey of 350+ miles so her hijacker would probably have had to stop to refuel somewhere along the way. I wonder if that's the CCTV footage that has been mentioned.

Also wondering why, if he did stop to refuel, she didn't take her chance to escape then since the car would clearly have been in a public place and she was apparently still alive as late as 10pm.

Further, if the journey to Spokane could have been completed by late afternoon, what happened in the remaining 6+ hours and where was the car during this time?

All good observations and questions.

At this point, I'm not convinced that her attacker was unknown to her. Or, at the very least, that she was not targeted.

All excellent observations. I wonder how long she was knocked out after she was hit on the head. Maybe she was unconscious at the gas station but woke up later when she tried to call for help?

Okay, I've been trying to figure out why a carjacker would kill the victim when she couldn't identify him. One possible reason could be if the carjacker figured out that she was on the phone with police. Maybe he opened the truck and saw her on the phone and then killed her.

That's possible.

I still would think a carjacker isn't necessarily a murderer....hard to imagine why the crime would escalate to that.

I wonder where she kept her gun - on her person when she went to the restroom or in her car? How did she know he had it if he hit her on the head and put her in the trunk? Perhaps she carried it in a visible way and he took it from her. We can't assume that the carjacker knew in advance she would have a gun. She told her family that the carjacker had her gun.

jmo

Okay, I've been trying to figure out why a carjacker would kill the victim when she couldn't identify him. One possible reason could be if the carjacker figured out that she was on the phone with police. Maybe he opened the truck and saw her on the phone and then killed her.

That's possible.

I still would think a carjacker isn't necessarily a murderer....hard to imagine why the crime would escalate to that.

I wonder where she kept her gun - on her person when she went to the restroom or in her car? How did she know he had it if he hit her on the head and put her in the trunk? Perhaps she carried it in a visible way and he took it from her. We can't assume that the carjacker knew in advance she would have a gun. She told her family that the carjacker had her gun.

jmo

It could be as simple as, "My gun was in my purse, which was on the front seat of the car, so now he has my gun."

It could be as simple as, "My gun was in my purse, which was on the front seat of the car, so now he has my gun."

Right. That's what I'm thinking. I just would like to know how she usually carried her gun. I would think if she got out of the car, she would take her purse. I would also assume the carjacker would take her purse. So she must have had her phone in her pocket?

That's possible.

jmo

If he caught her on the phone though wouldn't he take the phone away and toss it or at the very least turn it off? LE found her car by tracing her phone.

Right. That's what I'm thinking. I just would like to know how she usually carried her gun. I would think if she got out of the car, she would take her purse. I would also assume the carjacker would take her purse. So she must have had her phone in her pocket?

If the photo of that rest stop is indeed the one she stopped at, I could definitely see her leaving her purse in the car and not taking it inside what essentially looked like an outhouse. If she was wearing a sweatshirt, her phone could have been in her pocket for sure.

Unrelated, but weird...

Suspect in murder, carjacking believed to be armed, barefoot in hills around Helena

Law enforcement officers believe the suspect in a Great Falls homicide is wandering armed and barefoot and possibly cold and hungry in the hills north of Helena.

Miesmer, 26, is suspected of shooting and killing a man in Great Falls sometime Sunday night or early Monday. Police said he forced two people to drive him to Helena.

In Helena, Dutton said they stopped at a convenience store where the two captives told a clerk they'd been kidnapped. The clerk called police. The captives apparently got back in the car with Miesmer, but were eventually able to convince him to let them go, Dutton said.

I didn't even consider the man who carjacked and killed Rita might have been on the run. He could have been hiding at the rest stop just waiting for someone to stop.

If the photo of that rest stop is indeed the one she stopped at, I could definitely see her leaving her purse in the car and not taking it inside what essentially looked like an outhouse. If she was wearing a sweatshirt, her phone could have been in her pocket for sure.

Very possible the phone was in her pocket, which then would leave me to assume the purse, gun, and possibly her keys were in the car and the carjacker didn't bother going through her pockets before putting her in the trunk.

You'd think it would have been easier just to have left her there, but perhaps he thought she would be discovered quickly and then police would be on his trail....though being caught for carjacking isn't as bad as being caught for murder.

jmo

Unrelated, but weird...

Suspect in murder, carjacking believed to be armed, barefoot in hills around Helena

I didn't even consider the man who carjacked and killed Rita might have been on the run. He could have been hiding at the rest stop just waiting for someone to stop.

I'm sure they thought he was her kidnapper, but he was arrested yesterday evening.

http://billingsgazette.com/news/sta...cle_db966b51-0c8a-549c-9a46-978cd37c0c4c.html

Looking on google maps, the rest stop was just a pull out alongside the highway and clearly visible from the highway in both directions, not remote at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AMK