Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
For the benefit of the Brit, can someone please clarify what "rest stop" means? From what I've read it seems she just pulled off the road onto a gravel area where there was a loo. Is that typical of a "rest stop"?

It seems strange she'd stop there instead of driving a mile further north and stopping at Wolf Creek where there was at least a petrol station and it was less isolated.

For the benefit of the Brit, can someone please clarify what "rest stop" means? From what I've read it seems she just pulled off the road onto a gravel area where there was a loo. Is that typical of a "rest stop"?

It seems strange she'd stop there instead of driving a mile further north and stopping at Wolf Creek where there was at least a petrol station and it was less isolated.

Rest stops around here are buildings with parking lots, restrooms and vending machines. There are often staff there, but probably not at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are all different kinds of rest stops. Some are quite elaborate with food courts, nice bathrooms, even gift shops. Some are just a pull-off with picnic tables and no restrooms. Some are somewhere in between there....just a small, basic building with bathrooms and maybe some brochures about local attractions, etc. I've never been to Montana, so I have no clue what typical rest stops/rest areas there would be like, but hitting someone over the head in broad daylight seems quite bold! Especially on a holiday weekend when there would be a lot of travelers at the rest stop!!

Broad daylight, ugh terrifying. Looking at the rest stop, it looks just like one to pee, or rest. Nothing else. I wonder how busy the road is. I recently went from having a suv to a car with a trunk, and trunks absolutely have always scared me. I remember a story when I was a child about a older women being kidnapped at a local store, and put in the trunk. And it has always stuck with me. I can't wait for this perp to be caught. Feeling very sad for the family :(

This is awful. I'm so sad for her family and how frightened she must have been.

Picture here where it says it may be the rest stop from where she was kidnapped.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...ed-montana-woman-found-dead-spokane/89960296/

By 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, police had located her body. The cause of death has not been released.

“She traveled with a gun, and she knew he had her gun, and she was terrified,” Rochelle said. “He kept her in the trunk for 12 hours.”

Rochelle said her mom was hysterical, and she was hard to understand. She didn’t even know if there was more than one kidnapper.

BBM.
This is even more scary. How did the perp know she had a gun and get it from her? Is Montana an open carry state or concealed carry only? I wonder if she was open carrying and he saw it a figured out how to take her from surprise to get her gun? I wonder if the police recovered her gun or if it was left in the car.

Picture here where it says it may be the rest stop from where she was kidnapped.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...ed-montana-woman-found-dead-spokane/89960296/

By 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, police had located her body. The cause of death has not been released.

“She traveled with a gun, and she knew he had her gun, and she was terrified,” Rochelle said. “He kept her in the trunk for 12 hours.”

Rochelle said her mom was hysterical, and she was hard to understand. She didn’t even know if there was more than one kidnapper.

That is not at all what I picture when I hear someone talk about a rest stop. Especially on an interstate. He must have been hiding in the woods because I can't imagine she'd stop there if a man was lurking around, especially if there wasn't another car there. Or did she see him and think he needed help?

OK, from the first post I'm getting this "feeling". I want to hear more details about how she was found. Did she die from gunshot wound? Was it her own gun? What "doesn't line up" for LE? Could there have been some mental distress going on? Could this be self inflicted? It's just very much too strange right now.

I'm probably way off. That happens plenty to me. But been here long enough to say wth.

Either way RIP Rita. This must have been awful for her family as it was occurring.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I've been to a rest stop like that in Utah (it was at a scenic overlook though.)

Has anyone found it on Google maps?

OK, from the first post I'm getting this "feeling". I want to hear more details about how she was found. Did she die from gunshot wound? Was it her own gun? What "doesn't line up" for LE? Could there have been some mental distress going on? Could this be self inflicted? It's just very much too strange right now.

I'm probably way off. That happens plenty to me. But been here long enough to say wth.

Either way RIP Rita. This must have been awful for her family as it was occurring.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have similar questions.

A rest stop is convenient if you only want to take a bathroom break and faster than a service station where you have to find parking and maybe wait and get a key. I'd think if she carried a gun she wouldn't put herself in a situation where she'd try to help a lone man, I think she was taken by surprise. It was very dumb of the criminal to forget about her cell phone, but criminals like that are violent, not smart.

I don't think she'd open the trunk when they were driving along highways. And she was terror-stricken about what was going to happen to her, quite rightly, not willing to take a risk. I wish LE could have tracked her cellphone location more quickly and stopped the car. What a horrible ordeal for her and her family.

This is a story right out of my nightmares. RIP Rita

She told her husband and daughter a large man in a black hoodie hit her over the head. She wasn't even sure if she was in her own car trunk or not. http://www.greatfallstribune.com/st...ed-montana-woman-found-dead-spokane/89960296/
Image of the rest stop:
636088716740572553-09072016-kidnapping-rest-area-i-15-g.jpg

Helena police put out an attempt to locate the vehicle nationwide, and the license plate of the vehicle was spotted in Post Falls, Idaho, east of Spokane, Dutton said.

Authorities were able to find the car by locating Maze’s cell phone.

Dutton said there is a person of interest in the case and that authorities are looking at a surveillance video from a convenience store.

Because of the interstate travel involved, the FBI is assisting in the investigation.
636088558163060037-car-found.jpg

Is it just me or does it look like the back window of her car was busted? Did the police do that to open the trunk or did the perp do that to get in her car?

You took the words right out of my mouth. I have similar questions.

Me too. There is something not quite right about this story.

Whatever the case, someone who was loved is gone, and I feel sympathy for the family at the loss of Rita.

Was this a car jacking? Did perp want her car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
butiwantedthatname