Found Deceased MT - Rita Maze, 47, Wolf Creek, 6 Sept 2016 #2

I just noticed this in the dailymail article:
‘I know she didn’t kill herself,’ her cousin, Leanne Kaufmann, 42, told DailyMail.com. ‘Her life was good, she was happy.'
‘How would she have found this parking lot? She hasn’t been to Spokane in 15 years. When her mom moved away, she just didn’t come back. She didn’t commit suicide.’

I didn't really notice the significance of the bolded parts before. Apparently, Spokane is a place of significance for Rita. Her mother lived there, over 15 years ago. One has to wonder if she didn't grow up there. Either way, she could have wanted to drive by a certain house, or visit a certain neighborhood, one last time.

Ace - agreeing w your idea that she may have driven to Spokane to see someone or some place specific. OTOH I'm not following the cousin's idea that her finding the location (where she & car were found) would somehow have been difficult. Why difficult? Without more info,seems unwarranted to conclude that she was desperately searching for that location - like it was an elusive, buried pirate treasure chest or like getting there required superhuman effort. If (big if) she did end her life, she might have chosen anywhere at all, perhaps a location w special personal memories or perhaps a random spot.

Sad, sad, sad regardless.

I dunno. To me, the more the family insists that it 'couldn't be suicide' the more likely suicide becomes.

BBM

Do you mean the rest stop? If her story is not true, then she did not crawl into the trunk at the rest stop.

Instead, she drove for hours and finally ended up on the lot in Spokane. That location was in an place likely not noticed by anyone, especially at late night when she was there.

If it was suicide, she didn't crawl into the trunk until the end.

jmo
Coralynne was referring to Rita allegedly crawling into her trunk in Spokane, her last stop, if she in fact committed suicide. Pictures Blondie took of the area where the car was found is near a highway. But you are right, it was too dark at that hour for drivers to see. Also, there are buildings and tall grass between the highway and where the car was parked. Even if it had been broad daylight I think it was set back too far for anyone to notice anything suspicious. Whether a kidnapper put Rita in the trunk, or Rita climbed in herself, whoever it was made sure the car was hidden from view.

Coralynne was referring to Rita allegedly crawling into her trunk in Spokane, her last stop, if she in fact committed suicide. Pictures Blondie took of the area where the car was found is near a highway. But you are right, it was too dark at that hour for drivers to see. Also, there are buildings and tall grass between the highway and where the car was parked. Even if it had been broad daylight I think it was set back too far for anyone to notice anything suspicious. Whether a kidnapper put Rita in the trunk, or Rita climbed in herself, whoever it was made sure the car was hidden from view.

yes, thank you! That's what I was referring to, I should have been more clear. I didn't go back through to look closer at the pics before I posted.
I drive the interstate everyday, and because I know the route I drive so well, I find myself looking around at cars that are pulled off, always making mental notes on the state of the vehicle, or whether or not it appears to have been there long, is vacant, etc. I guess that's the websleuther in me!

She claimed she was held in the trunk. So hard to understand why that wouldn't be probable cause to look in the trunk.
. I just wasn't sure if she had said she was in her own car - had read that at one point she said she didn't know if it was her own trunk. Not much new in the media - seems they're going to stay quiet until they figure this all out. This is a strange case!

She was found inside her own trunk.

I'm curious what is being tested? The blood found on the ground outside of the vehicle? Sweat, fingerprints, hair from inside the drivers area? Surveillance videos and cctv cams from the area?

I'm curious what is being tested? The blood found on the ground outside of the vehicle? Sweat, fingerprints, hair from inside the drivers area? Surveillance videos and cctv cams from the area?

I know Nancy Grace had a lot wrong in the early reporting on this case, but she did have an "expert" on who said they would be able to tell with toxicology reports if Rita had really been riding around in the back of the trunk for all that time. But those kind of reports take weeks, possible months to get back.

Is anyone familiar with the Cheryl DeBoer case? How long did it take for them to make a ruling on MOD?

I dunno. To me, the more the family insists that it 'couldn't be suicide' the more likely suicide becomes.

SO, let's say she really did NOT commit suicide. You are basically saying that no amount of the family insisting will convince you of the truth? I'm not saying she did not commit suicide or did commit suicide, but they are real people with real feelings who lost a love one. IMO, it's understandable they would get more and more upset at people constantly accusing her of suicide no matter what the truth is. Please let's not defame the family and call them liars. They may not know the truth themselves yet. If I'm misunderstanding your post, I apologize but this post really upset me. Regardless of how Rita died, her family members are victims and lost someone they love in a tragic way.

SO, let's say she really did NOT commit suicide. You are basically saying that no amount of the family insisting will convince you of the truth? I'm not saying she did not commit suicide or did commit suicide, but they are real people with real feelings who lost a love one. IMO, it's understandable they would get more and more upset at people constantly accusing her of suicide no matter what the truth is. Please let's not defame the family and call them liars. They may not know the truth themselves yet. If I'm misunderstanding your post, I apologize but this post really upset me. Regardless of how Rita died, her family members are victims and lost someone they love in a tragic way.

My post was general in nature - no offense to this particular family was intended, and I certainly called NO ONE a liar. I meant that SOME families will just not even consider suicide, and protest and deny even when the evidence is incontrovertible. It is a coping mechanism. My nephew died of a drug overdose. My sister (his mother) insists it was 'cardiac arrest'.

. I just wasn't sure if she had said she was in her own car - had read that at one point she said she didn't know if it was her own trunk. Not much new in the media - seems they're going to stay quiet until they figure this all out. This is a strange case!

Didn't they find the car because of her cell phone signal? They had to know she was in her own car.

Didn't they find the car because of her cell phone signal? They had to know she was in her own car.

I keep reading bits and pieces but haven't had time to really go through the threads in detail - plus some of the early news was wrong! The whole story is odd. I had thought that at one point she said she didn't know if she was in her own trunk. At any rate, since they had her car right there, they should have checked right away.

My post was general in nature - no offense to this particular family was intended, and I certainly called NO ONE a liar. I meant that SOME families will just not even consider suicide, and protest and deny even when the evidence is incontrovertible. It is a coping mechanism. My nephew died of a drug overdose. My sister (his mother) insists it was 'cardiac arrest'.

I agree with you 100%. And I think this all feeds into just why Rita decided to try and hide her suicide. Many families who know for sure it was a suicide will still tell everyone something else at the funeral. The stigma associated with suicide is huge.

The fact is, suicide is almost 4 times more common than homicide.

Ok. Sorry for your family's loss. But you are still making a HUGE assumption that Rita's family has already been told something or know something more and they are in denial. There has been no "incontrovertible evidence" released yet. I'm trying to say (gently) I think you are jumping to conclusions. Again, I make no assumptions one way or the other on if she did kill herself. The facts are not settled yet. If the FBI rules the death a suicide and the family STILL insists the evidence is wrong you will be justified in your statement. And I will even agree they are in denial (hurting over the loss of a loved one can do that). But no such evidence has come out yet. JMO.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RyanO9600
Back