Identified! Mystery couple murdered in South Carolina, 1976 - Pamela Buckley & James Freund #9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many thanks, I found them.

And I’m confused a bit. I guess they may have moved them some at the scene as i seen pics of James with his head to the left and arms down, another has his hand near his head. I see your point about the blood too. Also, a pic of Pamela shows what looks to be cloth strung out to her left, I didn’t see that in another pic. His (James) hair is longer than I’m used to seeing as well.
In a close up of James, where he is turned left, I can see a dark spot on the right side, close to the ear, that I can’t tell if it’s hair or what would be bruising, like from an internal injury.

I haven't seen any pics of him with his hand by his head. Linking back to the original crime scene photo (in Otto's post below) of how/where they were found and they are in same position as the two photos that show up in the search I mentioned. As for his head facing the other direction with spot close to his ear, is it possible that the image you saw was "reversed/flipped"? That would make it seem like the shot was on the other side.

Her right hand is up by her head though. And I see the pic you are talking about where it looks like there is a cloth strung out beside her, but if you look at it carefully, you will see the detectives kneeling above them and also at their sides, so it's probably scene tape etc - definitely something from them because it is not in the original crime scene photograph.

At the risk of being exceptionally crude, here are the two photos that were published in 1976 and in 2008. They show the ditch, as well as tree growth at that time.

View attachment 281750

Link upthread and at the top left corner

View attachment 281751

4 Apr 2008, 3 - National Post at Newspapers.com

Last edited:
Thank you, this made me Google it and I see what you mean. Their exit wounds actually weren't very far apart so I guess discard my theory!
I was thinking, that the damaged area were their necks, maybe they died from lack of oxygen, besides the massive bleeding.

This is the image I was referring to. It’s the one we were talking about them being found on their backs due to blood.
Edit, that looks like his right hand.

Attachments

• 6F2C6573-2FB2-40B1-BFE4-A89EE48599AD.jpeg
    6F2C6573-2FB2-40B1-BFE4-A89EE48599AD.jpeg
    55.7 KB · Views: 69
This is the image I was referring to. It’s the one we were talking about them being found on their backs due to blood.

That's her. I pointed it out up above that it is her with her hand by her head, not him.

That's her. I pointed it out up above that it is her with her hand by her head, not him.

Ok, thank you for clearing that up.

And be careful of what you tube experts we watch with this. I ran across a random one while just searching blindly and they were attempting to do re-enactments. In one scene, they redo the DUI arrest of Henry and he is puffing an electric cig vape. In 1976.

Last edited:
For ref to the above vid, it’s called “5 disturbing theories about the Sumter Does murders”.

Last edited:
Thank you, this made me Google it and I see what you mean. Their exit wounds actually weren't very far apart so I guess discard my theory!
I was thinking, that the damaged area were their necks, maybe they died from lack of oxygen, besides the massive bleeding.

I wonder if the first shot was the one that went from their backs to their heads, given the way the blood ran from their necks it seems.

@Feme98 , I’m not sure. I guess it would depend on what the bullet may have struck as it traveled. It seems like they would release the autopsy report if the images are out here.

That video I mentioned also tells the “hermit” story and this version says the hermit seen 2 people get out of a VAN and shots fired. He didn’t bother to report this until he seen the news. I wish we knew for a fact that a van was there, it would help narrow the focus a little bit anyway.

With my poor eyesight I need to refrain from commenting on what I think I see in pics. Upon a 2nd inspection and some helpful guidance from @Vern in a PM, I realize that I’m completely off on the pics of them at the scene. I apologize if this misled or confused anybody.

With my poor eyesight I need to refrain from commenting on what I think I see in pics. Upon a 2nd inspection and some helpful guidance from @Vern in a PM, I realize that I’m completely off on the pics of them at the scene. I apologize if this misled or confused anybody.

You're fine; really you are. I just watched the video you spoke of "5 Disturbing ..." ... That video is misleading and confusing; not you!!

@Feme98 , I’m not sure. I guess it would depend on what the bullet may have struck as it traveled. It seems like they would release the autopsy report if the images are out here.

That video I mentioned also tells the “hermit” story and this version says the hermit seen 2 people get out of a VAN and shots fired. He didn’t bother to report this until he seen the news. I wish we knew for a fact that a van was there, it would help narrow the focus a little bit anyway.

Maybe there’s going to be new information released ;)

Investigators determined that the vehicle is a van. There must have been footprints. In 2008, investigators released the fact that "they stepped from the back of a van on a secluded dirt road."

A van with back doors makes me think of a delivery type van rather than a passenger van with trunk space. If it was their van, maybe they were living a nomadic van life - a bit like Lucas Fowler and China Deese in BC 2019, or Esther Dingley and Dan Colgate 2014-2020

View attachment 281774

This is a going to be a long post.

Here's a link to a whole bunch of vans that were popular in the 1970s. Some are pretty rad! If the van belonged to James and Pamela I presume it didn't look like these particular models since the paint jobs would have been remembered. They could have had some kind of sleeping space in the back, maybe removing a couple of bench seats, or they may have just used the van for traveling rather than living in, staying in motels and campgrounds.

Raddest Factory Custom and Small-Batch Production Vans of the 1970s

So I think there may be several scenarios regarding the victims leaving through the back doors of the van, as stated in the newspaper article in 2008. I'm going to voice my skepticism regarding the vehicle being a van and question the veracity of that statement, but for the sake of speculation I will assume they did exit a vehicle through the back doors.

The first scenario is that they didn't own the van and were picked up as hitchhikers, hence why they were in the back of the van.

The first scenario is they were picked up as hitchhikers, got in the back and there were no seats other than the front seats. Maybe a mattress was back there that they had to sit on. Eventually the driver took Locklair Rd, pulled over, pulled a gun and demanded their belongings so they scrambled through the back doors to escape but the driver got out of the vehicle walked to the rear and shot them.

The second scenario is they got picked up and sat on bench seats behind the driver with their belongings either in the back cargo area or at their feet and on the seat. This scenario doesn't make sense to me because it would have been problematic to go out through the back doors when the sliding side door would have been how they entered the van. To make this scenario work the driver would have had to pull over and walk around the back of the vehicle, open the door and get P and J to hop over the back seat out the rear doors, ignoring their own belongings and standing at the side of the road where they were were shot.

Third one is that there were more than two people in the van when they got picked up: driver and passenger, and either one or two people already sitting on the bench seat, leaving the only place for them to sit was the back cargo area. We don't know anything about the tire impressions, whether they tell us of the wheel base of the vehicle to see whether there could be another row of seats. I discard this scenario just because there are too many players involved. I don't think you could rely on anyone other than yourself not to let it slip you were privy to a double murder.

The alternate scenario is that the vehicle belonged to Pamela and James, that it was a van and they picked up one or more hitchhikers, either strangers on the road or someone they may have met while attending some event on or before August 9th. If this is a viable scenario we'd have to understand the significance of them ending up on Locklair Road. If they were traveling north to attend another racing event then the only reason they would end up getting off the I-95 in that location is because they were dropping off a ride rather than stopping for gas or food since the area is pretty remote. Also the time of night that the murders occurred would make it less likely to get off the highway for gas or food. If 24 hour gas stations were around back in '76 they'd be on the I-95 not in some little place off the beaten track. So they got off the highway to let their passenger(s) out. The passenger(s) got out of the back of the vehicle and walked around to the driver's side door and instead of saying, hey man, thanks for the ride, pulled a gun on them, told them to get out of the vehicle and shot them at the side of the road.

Any of these scenarios require the killer(s) to be outside of the vehicle to deliver the third shot to each victim. So if LE were able to take impressions of tire tracks, they should have impressions of shoe prints as well, both the victims and the perp. Unless the scene was completely obliterated by all the people that appear in the photographs milling about the scene.

I checked the weather report in Sumter county on Aug 8 and 9th. It was dry on Aug 8 but it rained quite a bit on the 9th. The Almanac weather history site says 0.94 inches.

Weather History for Sumter, SC

That's a lot of rain so I wonder how well the tire impressions worked. Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith in the impressions to say what type of vehicle was used in the crime.

There is a lot of science behind forensic investigations of tire impressions. Here's an incredibly exhaustive report that shows just how sophisticated this science is. It has probably been refined exponentially since 1976. So many variables can affect the castings; the weight of the vehicle, whether the tires were original equipment or after market products, the weather, the road surface, the expertise of the person taking the castings, and last but not least the professionalism of LE who were first to arrive to preserve the integrity of the scene to avoid contamination.

https://mantracking.files.wordpress...s-of-criminal-and-forensic-investigations.pdf

Has anyone heard anything about at what range of distance they were shot? With how they were found, my guess is close. I don’t think they were attempting to flee when killed. The weather report brought by @branmuffin above kind of dampens (pun NI) my spirits about that nice, loamy dirt down there. I’m looking for that miracle I mentioned a few nights back now. A

What is puzzling me is that on the two closeups of them, there is what appears to be a hole on Pamela’s neck with what looks like blood.

And on James’s neck there is some smearing it seems.

Verna Moore stated they were shot three times. She was the assistant coroner when the autopsies were performed. Initially it was reported they were shot once in the back, once in the chest and once in the throat.

After that presser we were told they were shot in the chest, back and head. So are we to assume that the coroner at the time and his assistant Verna Moore had no idea how to interpret gunshot entrance and exit wounds? You could be shot in the throat and the exit wound is the base or back of the head. You could be shot in the back of the head and the exit wound appear in the throat. However, entry and exit wounds to the skull show beveling which illustrates the direction of the bullet on the inside or the outside of the skull.

I find this case very frustrating because the evidence seems to change. Even looking at the Sumter Doe murders site on Wiki today, someone's gone in and changed it again! Originally, for years it said they were both shot twice (back and chest) and once in throat, then after the press conference someone went in and changed it to two shots to the torso (back and chest) and once to the head. Today it says three shots in the chest! So any Tom, Dick or Harry can change information.

I would love to see the classic chart that appears with every autopsy to show on a human figure where the gunshot wounds were. But I'd bet money it can't be produced because like most of the evidence relating to this case it's been destroyed, misplaced or lost. IMO

Last edited:
I think that they were found lying face down.

I remember a websleuths user saying that on one of the crime scene photos (the one where both victims appear), James’s arm was moved and thus, giving the impression as if he was lying face down.

I’m unsure if anything was said about Pamela’s position when found.

They were found face up. There are many images taken by LE while they were lying in situ.

Here's an interesting tidbit regarding the van. I've been surfing the web looking for more obscure sites regarding the murder. This one:

Mystery of the Sumter County Does - Caleb and Linda Pirtle

At the end of the blog there's the following (bolding by me):

"Melba was bothered by all of these questions. Days of research on the Worldwide Web had not provided any more answers. Was she searching in the wrong place? Hmmm. What would happen if I contacted the Sheriff’s Department? That would be kind of nervy of me. They don’t have time to mess with the “merely curious.” After a few hours of thinking it over she decided to send the Sumter County Sheriff’s Department an email. A phone call would be too disruptive. There were three questions she wanted answered—answers that she had not found in her research, that they should know by now. She was shocked when Lt. Robert Burnish sent a speedy reply and answered all three of her questions:

1. DNA testing has proven that John and Jane Doe were NOT siblings or otherwise related by blood.
  2. There was no indication of European descent through DNA
  3. As far as the quote “they stepped from a VAN”* there is no idea why that is quoted in web accounts. There was no vehicle, (van or otherwise) in the area.
Lt. Robert Burnish also stated, “if your readers have, or pass on, any information, we would love to hear from you.” "

Lt. Robert Burnish

Criminal Investigations

Sumter County Sheriff’s Office

1281 North Main Street

Sumter, S.C. 29153

803-436-2017

Unfortunately, the things you have figured out about Pamela and James don't resonate with me. I don't think we know anything about them really. Yes, they appeared to be clean cut. There was no evidence of drugs in their system. There was no evidence that Pamela was sexually assaulted. There's no evidence they had sex before their demise. There's no evidence a cartel assassinated them. There's no evidence they picked up a hitcher or they got in a vehicle with their murderer. Basically, we know jacks**t.

Speculation is one thing, but taking a theory and running with it is how investigations go off track. This case is so old that speculation has been printed as fact in some newspapers, ie, the hermit actually saw the murders. That is not true, yet I've seen it printed that way.

About the only thing we do know is that an individual pulled over for DUI four months later had the weapon that matched the ballistics of the bullets that killed them and yet was let go for lack of evidence.
Well said :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members