GUILTY Nationwide College Cheating Scandal - Actresses, Business Owners Charged, Mar 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
College Admissions Scandal: Varsity Blues will shed even more light on the cheating and bribery scandal. The REELZ documentary exposes how desperate, well-to-do parents are drawn into illegal schemes involving prestigious universities, crooked athletic coaches and shady college counselors to game the system for their kids. It also answers the question of whether the recent cases (known as Operation Varsity Blues), which brought charges against 50 people in six states, are just the tip of the iceberg, and whether the college admissions system has always been rigged.

College Admissions Scandal: Varsity Blues airs on Saturday, February 8 at 8 p.m. ET on REELZ

'Varsity Blues' Doc Sheds New Light on Shocking College Admissions Scandal
Thankx so much, if not for you I would not know about this @JerseyGirl !

In case anyone missed this:

Lifetime's College Admissions Scandal Movie Casts Its Leads

Lifetime's original movie inspired by actresses' Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman's involvement in the college admissions scandal casts its leads.
Lifetime’s film based on the College Admissions Scandal has cast its leads. On March 12, headlines surged across the nation reading that Fuller House’s Lori Loughlin and Desperate Housewives’ Felicity Huffman had been indicted in the nation’s largest college admissions scheme. In July, Lifetime greenlit a two-hour film that will fictionalize the events of the high-profile scandal.

RELATED:American Crime Story Season 3 Covering Bill Clinton & Monica Lewinsky Scandal

According to EW, The College Admissions Scandal has tapped Penelope Ann Miller (Riverdale, American Crime), Mia Kirshner (The L Word, Star Trek: Discovery), and Michael Shanks (Stargate: Atlantis) for starring roles. Miller and Kirscher will not embody Loughlin and Huffman specifically, but rather, play roles based on them. Lifetime’s version of events will follow two wealthy mothers Caroline (Miller), an interior designer and Bethany (Kirshner), an owner of a successful financial services firm. Caroline and Bethany join forces with charismatic college admissions consultant Rick Singer (Shanks) to override the system and fulfill their dreams of getting their teenagers into a prestigious institution.

The College Admissions Scandal is in the creative hands of director Adam Salky, with a script by Stephen Tolkin. Production is set to begin this month. The College Admissions Scandal will premiere as part of Lifetime’s Ripped From the Headlines movie slate. Original films on the roster will present harrowing true stories in a dramatized fashion. Along with The College Admissions Scandal, films will include Escaping the NXIVM Cult: A Mother’s Fight to Save Her Daughter, Abducted: The Mary Stauffer Story, and Trapped: The Alex Cooper Story.

Lifetime’s announcement of a film based on the college admissions scandal garnered buzz that the story would follow Loughlin and Huffman, not composite characters. However, Lifetime certainly nods to the two as Miller previously worked with Huffman, and Kirscher and Miller bear a resemblance to Loughlin and Huffman. The college admissions scandal is a hot commodity. It was only a matter of time before miniseries, documentaries, and films were made about the events that unfolded. As it stands, the nation awaits the fate of Loughlin and Huffman, and viewers await The College Admissions Scandal.

NEXT:Fuller House: All Of The Family's Significant Others, Ranked

Source: EW

EMAIL
THE MATRIX 4 SET VIDEOS: KEANU REEVES' NEO RETURNS
Related Topics
ADVERTISING
SR-Profile.jpg

About The Author
Bethany is a news writer for ScreenRant and has been with the team since 2019. Alongside ScreenRant, she has published in ALO magazine and currently writes, produces, and films the docuseries she created on YouTube called Oddity Odysseys. Bethany became enthralled with the entertainment industry after watching Gone With the Wind at age five and dives into Hollywood's history as much as possible. When she isn't writing and exploring urban ruins, Bethany is binging The Golden Girls and The X-Files for the millionth time.

More About Bethany Guerrero

College Admissions Scandal: Varsity Blues will shed even more light on the cheating and bribery scandal. The REELZ documentary exposes how desperate, well-to-do parents are drawn into illegal schemes involving prestigious universities, crooked athletic coaches and shady college counselors to game the system for their kids. It also answers the question of whether the recent cases (known as Operation Varsity Blues), which brought charges against 50 people in six states, are just the tip of the iceberg, and whether the college admissions system has always been rigged.

College Admissions Scandal: Varsity Blues airs on Saturday, February 8 at 8 p.m. ET on REELZ

'Varsity Blues' Doc Sheds New Light on Shocking College Admissions Scandal
Thankx so much @JerseyGirl If not for you I would not know about this REELZ documentary ----
Also, in case anyone missed this one:

Lifetime's College Admissions Scandal Movie Casts Its Leads

Lifetime's original movie inspired by actresses' Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman's involvement in the college admissions scandal casts its leads.
Lifetime’s film based on the College Admissions Scandal has cast its leads. On March 12, headlines surged across the nation reading that Fuller House’s Lori Loughlin and Desperate Housewives’ Felicity Huffman had been indicted in the nation’s largest college admissions scheme. In July, Lifetime greenlit a two-hour film that will fictionalize the events of the high-profile scandal.

Last edited:
Ex-CEO Douglas Hodge gets nine months in college admissions scandal

https://nypost.com/2020/02/07/ex-ceo-douglas-hodge-gets-nine-months-in-college-admissions-scandal/

The former CEO of the asset management giant Pimco got a nine-month prison sentence in the college admissions scandal — the heaviest punishment for a parent so far.

Douglas Hodge, 62, was sentenced in Boston Friday for admittedly paying $850,000 over the course of more than a decade to get four of his kids admitted to elite private universities.

“Mr. Hodge, your conduct in this whole sordid case is appalling and mind-boggling at the same time,” US District Judge Nathaniel Gorton told the retired Pimco honcho.

Hodge had pleaded guilty in October to a slew of conspiracy, fraud and money laundering charges. Prosecutors had asked for two years in the slammer.

Hodge has insisted that admissions scheme mastermind William “Rick” Singer had lied to him, telling him that his cash would support university programs and poor student athletes.

But in a pre-sentencing letter to the judge, he’d admitted that he continued to funnel cash to Singer even after learning the truth.

“For that, I am deeply ashamed and remorseful,” he wrote to the judge.

Hodge’s stiff sentence may be sobering to the more than a dozen parents who have pleaded not guilty and say they intend to go to trial, including “Fuller House” actress Lori Loughlin and her fashion designer husband, Mossimo Giannulli.

Love the latest barb by the Feds in response to Loughlin & Giannulli. Wow- they just cannot stop grasping at straws. FESS UP ALREADY. Put your little white flag in the air and just admit what you did! Right?!

“The government has broad powers, but they do not include mental telepathy or time travel. The government cannot disclose witness statements before the witnesses make them."
- Federal prosecutors, Feb. 7, 2020
Prosecutors slam Lori Loughlin, Mossimo Giannulli, release daughter's fake crew resume

Prosecutors reveal fake resume Lori Loughlin's daughter Olivia Jade used to get into USC | Daily Mail Online

Wow! That fake resume is a doozy! How in the world did they think this wouldn’t come back to haunt them?

Has Olivia Jade ever been in a row boat? How do they explain that resume? That someone else wrote it and submitted it?

When you fill out a college application online, you have to upload all of your own documents, with the application package, and electronically sign it, that everything you have submitted is the truth.

So, do they want to say that their daughter is a liar? And they didn't have anything to do with her college application?

Or alternatively, that OJ is too inept to do her own college application package and someone else did it for her? Someone that they paid? Hmmm...

I guess that as long as they don't testify, their attorney can imply almost anything.

Yes, I would think if you attached a resume to your application and signed the application, it becomes a legal document. That's a big deal.

Yes, you actually sign it electronically, certifying that everything you have submitted is the truth. OJ isn't going to USC any longer, I wonder if she is going to college at all now.

Has Olivia Jade ever been in a row boat? How do they explain that resume? That someone else wrote it and submitted it?

When you fill out a college application online, you have to upload all of your own documents, with the application package, and electronically sign it, that everything you have submitted is the truth.

So, do they want to say that their daughter is a liar? And they didn't have anything to do with her college application?

Or alternatively, that OJ is too inept to do her own college application package and someone else did it for her? Someone that they paid? Hmmm...

I guess that as long as they don't testify, their attorney can imply almost anything.

Someone at Singer’s organization finished OJ’s application. There is an email from LL asking for Singer’s help with the application because OJ didn’t know how to complete it.

As far as the coxswain resume, I believe that was put together and written by Donna Heinel at USC.

Someone at Singer’s organization finished OJ’s application. There is an email from LL asking for Singer’s help with the application because OJ didn’t know how to complete it.

As far as the coxswain resume, I believe that was put together and written by Donna Heinel at USC.

That is actually funny. It reminded me of a job I had working at a treatment center, the managing Social Worker wanted me to complete the FAFSA financial aid paperwork for some of the clients. I told her that if they couldn't do their own financial aid paperwork, they shouldn't be in college. She was a complete enabler, living on some fantasy planet with rainbows and unicorns.

OJ couldn't even do her own college application.

That is actually funny. It reminded me of a job I had working at a treatment center, the managing Social Worker wanted me to complete the FAFSA financial aid paperwork for some of the clients. I told her that if they couldn't do their own financial aid paperwork, they shouldn't be in college. She was a complete enabler, living on some fantasy planet with rainbows and unicorns.

OJ couldn't even do her own college application.
I respectfully disagree. Larger school districts have teams of paid staff to help walk PARENTS through the FAFSA process- never mind 17 year olds with no experience filing tax returns. College admission teams offer the same help. Guideance counselors warn about creating your pin incorrectly to avoid delays & problems with processing. The form itself is problematic. For example, you are required to fill in your entire name as it appears on your birth certificate. But if you have a long name- as is common with some cultures- there aren’t enough boxes for every letter. This requires a call to FAFSA- if you submit a different shortened version of your name than what FAFSA expects to see, your application gets hung up in a paperwork nightmare & cannot be corrected online. This is just one of MANY examples of the challenges of FAFSA.

My point is that the parents & students of varsity blues cheated, lied, bullied and bought admission seats for themselves- and cheated others out of seats and scholarships. Whether or not someone needs help with FAFSA has nothing to do with intelligence or the ability to succeed in academics- or this case. MO

I respectfully disagree. Larger school districts have teams of paid staff to help walk PARENTS through the FAFSA process- never mind 17 year olds with no experience filing tax returns. College admission teams offer the same help. Guideance counselors warn about creating your pin incorrectly to avoid delays & problems with processing. The form itself is problematic. For example, you are required to fill in your entire name as it appears on your birth certificate. But if you have a long name- as is common with some cultures- there aren’t enough boxes for every letter. This requires a call to FAFSA- if you submit a different shortened version of your name than what FAFSA expects to see, your application gets hung up in a paperwork nightmare & cannot be corrected online. This is just one of MANY examples of the challenges of FAFSA.

My point is that the parents & students of varsity blues cheated, lied, bullied and bought admission seats for themselves- and cheated others out of seats and scholarships. Whether or not someone needs help with FAFSA has nothing to do with intelligence or the ability to succeed in academics- or this case. MO

Respectfully disagree. I have no issues with helping people fill out complicated paperwork. Or reviewing an application.

It is when the recipient does not do one thing in regards to a college application or financial aid application, there is a problem.

Respectfully disagree. I have no issues with helping people fill out complicated paperwork. Or reviewing an application.

It is when the recipient does not do one thing in regards to a college application or financial aid application, there is a problem.
Thanks for clarifying. Originally you said, “if they couldn't do their own financial aid paperwork, they shouldn't be in college”. I just don’t think anyone should feel inferior to get help with FAFSA or applications. It’s the CHEATING this case is about. MOO

Thanks for clarifying. Originally you said, “if they couldn't do their own financial aid paperwork, they shouldn't be in college”. I just don’t think anyone should feel inferior to get help with FAFSA or applications. It’s the CHEATING this case is about. MOO
Of course there’s nothing wrong with getting help, but it doesn’t seem that they were just “getting help.” They just wanted people to do it for them. Were OJ &/or her parents sitting down with the helper so she could understand the process? (FAFSA has to be filled out every year.)

Not trying to speak for mickey, but it seems like her boss just wanted her to do the paperwork FOR the clients instead of helping with it. So I agree that if you’re not going to try to even do the application process (with help is fine!) you have no business going to college.

It IS complicated and we had to sit down last year with our college bound daughter & figure out the FAFSA, but you bet she was part of it. And the application part I never saw. She did all of it.

Once they get to college, staying there takes a lot of initiative and self direction/motivation. IMO that needs to start with the application process or it’s gonna be a failure. MOO. :)

Just want to add that the point of my long winded post was that this is just another indication that some of these kids didn’t even care about going to college—adding to the anger people have about the cheating. Taking spots away from kids who actually DID want to go to college...

Exactly. What offends me the most about this situation is the sense of entitlement. "We can buy everything, and pay anyone to do everything" , including fill out college applications, write resumes, it is as though OJ was completely checked out of the entire process, except for modeling for the photo shoot on the rowing machine.

Exactly. What offends me the most about this situation is the sense of entitlement. "We can buy everything, and pay anyone to do everything" , including fill out college applications, write resumes, it is as though OJ was completely checked out of the entire process, except for modeling for the photo shoot on the rowing machine.
OJ is no doubt all in on the modeling. I’m really quite surprised she didn’t post the fake rowing photo on her social media, or flaunt it on YouTube.

But wait.... could she have actually knew it was fraudulent? Who knows, maybe she started to and LL said, NO, don’t you dare!

We never asked our kids to help with FAFSA. Why? And it would have been smart to ask for help as we never qualified and I heard of people who made way more than we did that did get help or they were lying.

just like with taxes. Ask an expert.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members